Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IP Filter

• 02-01-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say why I need an IP filter, but I've received a few e-mails concerning infringements and decided I should get one.

So what's a good one?? Are some better than others? I said I'd ask here before paying for one. If it matters I live in Australia and use a laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

They're usually called ipfilter.dat and you shouldn't have to pay for one at all as far as I know.
    It's just a list of IPs I think, so ideally it would be updated occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,283 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If your ISP is the one contacting you about infringements there are not a whole number of ways in which you would be able to fool them that i care to be aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

MadPatrick wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say why I need an IP filter, but I've received a few e-mails concerning infringements and decided I should get one.

What exactly is it that you think an "ip filter" will do for you, i.e. what are you trying to achieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

without going into too much detail, you need something called peerblock which is kind of the unofficial successor to another program called peerguardian which wass a popular IP blocker.

tell it what IP's you want it to block and just leave it running and you're grand. :)

very helpful for blocking ads and spam and other such stuff as well.

obviously there's no guarantees it'll stop your problem, but its possible it will do what you want it to do so it can't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

bhickey wrote: »
    What exactly is it that you think an "ip filter" will do for you, i.e. what are you trying to achieve?

What I want is to watch TV shows without 20 mins of ads, but the Hollywood bigwigs in their ivory towers are getting pissy about that so I'm getting infringement notices from companies claiming to represent them. My ISP is forwarding the e-mails they get with a note saying "Don't be bad" so I know they have nothing to do with it.

I did a bit of research and the IP filter seems to be the best option, but of course I don't know what IPs I want to block. I'd imagine a few people would be using this software for similar reasons and would appreciate a point in a particular direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,283 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What I want is to watch TV shows without 20 mins of ads, but the Hollywood bigwigs in their ivory towers are getting pissy about that so I'm getting infringement notices from companies claiming to represent them. My ISP is forwarding the e-mails they get with a note saying "Don't be bad" so I know they have nothing to do with it.

I did a bit of research and the IP filter seems to be the best option, but of course I don't know what IPs I want to block. I'd imagine a few people would be using this software for similar reasons and would appreciate a point in a particular direction.
    An adblocker?

Im still not sure what youre trying to accomplish; if an adblocker/IP filter is what triggered these infractions, how would another IP blocker help?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

Thanks for all the replies. This issue has now been put to bed.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i probably should have mentioned that peer blockers uses predefined blocklists for p2p, ads and others as well as allowing you to specify your own if you prefer which are available online.

Advertisement