Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing Oak counter top

Options
  • 02-01-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what is the best finish for an Oak counter top?
    Is it possible to put a clear varnish or an Epoxy to protect it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Irishguy.Epoxy?? I think you may be trying to avoid work.I take it your work top has not been finished before.The old school finish for worktop and bar counter would be Yacht Varnish.There are lots of cans of finish which will say they are suitable but be careful.Some of them have colour added, most of them will not have the solid content needed.This makes them easier to apply but not as long lasting.There are some waxes and oils too.It depends on what you want the final look to be.I would not recommend wax on oak.Oak does not take wax well.A good quality oil will work.Oil does need to be re-coated every year if possible.one coat would be enough.Osmo or similar would be good.Don't be fooled by one shot does all cans.Pay a bit extra and you will get the benefit.Fine sand the top well before and use a fine steel wool between coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I was hopping to have a stain/water resistant surface. We have a reclaimed Oak table that has a bit of a shine (Seems to be varnished) and is very tough so I was hoping for a similar finish.

Its an Island that I want to finish (it has is unfinished) the guy in Ikea said you would have to oil the Oak top and you could not varnish it, which didnt sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

I thought as much.Every one wants to avoid work.It is quite simple really, wood and water don't get on.Yacht varnish is a very good water repellent but there are others.If your table top was factory produced it could have any number of sprayed finishes.You can oil or varnish oak depending on the finish you prefer.Oil will give a very flat finish with no sheen or luster.There are different grades of varnish to achieve the same result.You decide.The guy in IKEA is in Ikea....

Advertisement