Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall kicking in Salthill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kicking the wall is the only way to make sure you actually walked the distance and isn't a lazy git.

"What ya do Sunday?"
    "Walked the prom"
    "Did ya kick the wall?"
    "No"
    "???"

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

biko wrote: »
    Kicking the wall is the only way to make sure you actually walked the distance and isn't a lazy git.

"What ya do Sunday?"
    "Walked the prom"
    "Did ya kick the wall?"
    "No"
    "???"

ha ha ha!! True.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I think it's common enough anywhere that has a long straight walk with a definate end. They do it at the end of Nimmo's pier too.

Otherwise it'd be an awkward moment of coming to a stop, turning around, then walking back... it'd make it seem like a pointless trip rather than a small achievement! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

is there any danger of the wall collapsing on top of an unlucky kicker after all the bashing it gets? This thought runs through my mind every time i roundhouse it..........

No.

Chuck Norris hasn't walked the prom yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

JustMary wrote: »
    I thought there was an underground pipe that is putting pressure on the wall, and the council had asked citizens to assist by putting some pressure in the opposite direction until such time as they could afford to fix it.

:D of course, but sure'n it's a good story to tell the Americans (who believe it), and also to tell other tourists as a warning about how the Irish tell tales to tourists.

I'm Irish and at this stage I'd nearly believe something like that.

Signed,

Smelly Galwiegan who's been without water since the 22nd of December ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I thought the tradition was as old as Blackrock itself, but a friend of mine used to swear up and down that he only started seeing walkers kick the wall in the 90s. He's wrong, isn't he?

definitely wrong - its been going for at LEAST the last 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I like it. I know it's a nonsensical tradition, but when you do it, you're included in the thousands of people that do it, and thus part of a group, giving yo ua sense of belonging. It's a Galwegian thing to do, along with strangling swans down the Claddagh, and breaking bottles of Buckie down the arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

wet-paint wrote: »
    I like it. I know it's a nonsensical tradition, but when you do it, you're included in the thousands of people that do it, and thus part of a group, giving yo ua sense of belonging. It's a Galwegian thing to do, along with strangling swans down the Claddagh, and breaking bottles of Buckie down the arch.
    Oooooooo:eek: Of those three I've only ever done the kicking the wall thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 JaneB

Why do people kick the wall at the end of Salthill prom.
    Bob

Well if they head-butted it they would hurt themselves!! Don't ask silly questions!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

along with strangling swans down the Claddagh,

I initially read that as straddling swans:eek:

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Or swaddling swans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Or swaddling swans.

Dangerous little feckers them.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Does anyone know the approx. distance from Nimmos Pier to the wall @ Blackrock?

I can't seem to find it anywhere online, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

3.5km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

Skangers and swan strangling and buckie drinking. Some skangers are Galwegians but not all Galwegians are skangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

biko wrote: »
    3.5km

Thanks Biko..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Only in ireland

Not really. Sure didn't Jesus himself hit a kick in a wall before the cross was placed on his shoulder. It's in the bible, look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 got2011

when I was there in May, a local told me the tradition had to do with some estate owner building the wall in ancient times (he didn't elaborate on 'ancient'), presumably to keep riff-raff off the estate, or on it; however, it clearly interferes with one's ability to walk along the shore... Galwegians have been kicking it ever since it was built on the understanding that it will eventually fall down if everyone does their bit. You must understand that I'm from Canada and we are willing to believe anything.
    Galway and the west are possibly my most favourite places in the world, next to the east coast of Newfoundland (especially the so-called Irish Loop), which is pretty much identical, but with fewer pubs and more moose.

Advertisement