Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideas?

• 02-01-2011 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

I'm trying to think of some way to help a family member that was unwell for a while and am looking for a way to help them get out and about more. They are interested in martial arts,kickboxing and maybe even cooking classes and I am looking to find something on during the day as they will need to get home by bus at 6.00pm.Any suggestions or other ideas appreciated.(gym membership already failed!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Try Limerick Senior for Day Courses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

Do you know if they would have to go off disability allowance if they were to go down that route as thats a minefield I don't want to get involved in.thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

if its not too much info to request although it would help have we an age and area to narrow it down. Whats mobility like as you said disability?

mobility is fine.it was depression..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Age? Location? Would they willing to travel short to the other side of town for something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Good luck Im just wondering if you have spoken to your local psychiatric services? (day hospital, gp, psych liason nurse)There are usually courses being run n conjunction with fas and rehab, think that there has to be a referral though? They are designed to help people trying to get back on track after suffering from a breakdown etc, these are usually run with the involvement of councellors etc so might be worth contacting them

Phog: 35. can be in to citycentre most days,pref afternoons but needs to get a bus at 6pm and other side of town should be fine.

liquoriceall:for now was just trying to get something informal that he might like doing like martial arts as he just thinks people are just interfering otherwise and then won't go.I thought if I could just book some kind of classes like I mentioned and present him with voucher,he might actually get interested and go rather than watch them go to waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Try finding him something that he could use to express himself with, A few things that wouldn't be courses, but 'activities' say that he could like would be, as you said Martial Arts, Photography, Drawing, Painting, Dancing even, can be a great way to keep him active and it would be something new, (I know it doesn't really sound 'butch', but the likes of breakdancing etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

What about St. Michael's Sporting club on Cecil St, dont even know if it's still open or the Victoria club on Hatstonge St.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

There is a Ju Jitsu class for adult in Limerick city, Run by a guy called mike, really nice guy, Ive been to class myself a few times,great fun and slow paced to work off the xmad excess,
    i dont have a no. for him but he has signs up all over limerick city

Also UL have a beginners class in Judo that is quite good fun,

Im sure there is tonnes more things of interst to ye around Limerick
    have fun

Sean

• Advertisement
Advertisement