Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch ... to 5K ... to 10K ... to ???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Well done on the 10k maria74! :)

Just did Week Two Day One. It was good! :) Did the jogs nice and slowly, so I was able to keep them consistent right up til the last one. Was walking too slowly for the in-between bits, will try to pick up the pace there for the other two Week Two runs during the week. Didn't feel tempted to give up at any stage, and could probably have actually kept at it for a little bit longer!

I've decided to do the St Patricks Day 5k run, although I'll need to be finished the C25K program by then and getting ready for the 10k in April. It's really not that far away!!! But if I just make sure to get out for a run every second day between now and then, I think I can do it. First early morning run is this Tuesday morning, it'll nearly kill me to get up earlier than I have to for work!!! Just have to make it part of my routine though. :)

Didn't make it for my early morning run today, no fault of my own though, my alarm didn't go off, stupid phone!

BUT, I got in from work at ten tonight and did my Week Two Day Two then, plus an extra fifteen minutes walk on top of that! :D It went so well, I'm thinking I might just skip ahead to Week Three on Thursday ... will see! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

I am still learning this ..but there are good and bad days in running and no reason for either!..you have experienced this in the last week.
    Great to see you are doing so well and well done signing up for the run!
    For what it is worth..I wouldnt jump ahead to wk 3. Whats 1 more day in your running career? You can add in a little extra to the last interval if you like, I did that a bit?
    Well done!!!:D

Yeah, I was kind of planning on starting Week Three today - but then I realised when I'd left that I hadn't downloaded the Week Three podcast!!! :o

So I went ahead and did the third day of Week Two. Enjoyed it. Freezing cold out there! Wrecked now.

Starting Week Three on Saturday ... can't wait. :)

Went to the beach today to start Week Three. :) Most of it went really well, except that it's been ages since I've been to that beach and it's shorter than I remembered, so I ended up reaching the end of the beach only ten minutes in. So I decided to climb over some rocks and splash through some puddles to get onto another "secret" beach that I hadn't been to in years. Ran along that beach for a bit, then decided to take a "short cut" back over some sand dunes. Got lost in miles of hilly dunes, so wasn't able to do my last two runs (:() because I was afraid of either twisting my ankle, or of accidentally running out over the side of a cliff!! Then I ended up in the middle of a golf course. And then I found the beach again. :) Eventually!

But even though I missed the last two runs today, I'm still counting it as Week Three Day One, because it was seriously hard work trudging up and down through those dunes, and because the whole "ordeal" added about 45 minutes onto the half hour session, and because I'm climbing Knocknarea in Sligo in an hour so that'll make up for it! :) And anyways it's only the first run of Week Three, I'll just have to make sure I do it fully on my next two runs on Monday and Wednesday.

Running on the beach was fun, but it's actually harder than running on footpaths - thought it would be the other way round, really! I've a feeling I'll definitely be feeling it in my legs tomorrow, specially after climbing a mountain as well! :)

Edit: Actually, I'm just looking at the plan, and I think it might actually have been only one run I missed! Might have gotten mixed up with what I was meant to be doing when I was listening to the podcast thingy. :o What it says on the website is

"Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:

* Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    * Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    * Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
    * Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)"

... I know that I definitely for sure did at least three runs. Will do it properly anyways on Monday and Wednesday. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

There is nothing like running on beach!
    And I have noticed that once you start running, it is amazing how much shorter everything seems!

Didn't get out last night because I was sick - did Week Three Day Two tonight though. Sort of! I managed to miss the chime thingy for the last three minute run. :o So I went back to the start and did another 90 second run and another three minute run ... so I ended up getting all my runs in, plus one extra, but with one very long walk near the end.

So between getting lost in the sand dunes on Saturday, and messing up my timing today, I still haven't managed to do a day of Week Three fully properly! :rolleyes: Ah well! Will hopefully do it right tomorrow night.

On Friday (payday!) I will be signing up for the St Patricks Day 5k run and also the Great Ireland 10k run, and I will also be investing in a Garmin 305. :) I will hopefully aim to do the 5k in 30 minutes and the 10k in under an hour (although, really, if I can manage to run the whole thing without any breaks I'll probably be happy enough with that!) I'm a looooooong long way off those times right now, but it's good to have something to aim towards. :)

My every-second-day routine has fallen apart a wee bit this past week! I managed to do Day Three of Week Three yesterday, but I did it really really early in the morning and I hated it, it was way too quiet and I didn't feel safe at all, going to stick to my late night runs until it gets a bit brighter. Anyways. I'm going to try to get one more day of Week Three in today or tomorrow, and then starting Week Four on Monday, and then back to every second day from then. :)

Started Week Four today. Didn't really go too well. I went for a really long really hilly (really fun! :D ) walk yesterday, and my legs weren't sore today after it ... but as soon as I started running this evening, my legs and feet just got really really tight and burny and sore. I am SO unfit it's ridiculous!!! :o Anyways, I managed to do the first three-minute run and five-minute run, but my legs were just getting tighter and sorer so I decided I'd better just walk the rest of it.

On the plus side, usually what stops me or slows me down is that I get really out of breath, but I actually managed to do my two little runs at a decentish pace (for me) and I wasn't wrecked or out of breath by the end of them - the only thing stopping me was the pain in my legs, I felt completely able for it apart from that. I feel like I'll be well able to do it properly on Wednesday and Friday.

Anyways, January is over, and I haven't given up on the running yet, and I have lost half a stone since New Years Day. :) Ideally I would've liked to be a week or two further on with the program by now, but still, I'm not doing too badly. Aiming to get a run in every second day for February - no excuses - and also aiming to lose another half stone this month. Also, I have been "supposed" to be starting badminton lessons since October, but I found some excuse not to go every single week - I will start going this month! This week, in fact.

Happy enough with my progress so far overall, I suppose. :)

Finally started my badminton lessons. Still in bits, all over,two days later. It wasn't beginners lessons, like I thought - it was 2.5 hours of really intense games with players who were all better than me - but I really surprised myself, I don't seem totally forgotten everything I learned when I was younger, I got in some decent shots, and didn't lose more than half my games (although people were probably going easy on me seeing as it was my first night!) Can't wait for next week. :)

Then, yesterday, I decided for C25K Week Four Day Three, to do it on 6km of the hilly part of the Great Ireland Run in Phoenix Park. Also persuaded my boyfriend, who has never run before in his life, to do it with me. To be fair, he's very very fit from swimming regularly though. Anyways I was huffing and puffing along really slowly (I blame not being used to the hills, and also being wrecked from the badminton the night before) ... he insisted on staying at my pace, but when we got back to the car he decided to run the 6km again himself for the craic. Did it in 34 minutes. Pretty decent for a first go, on hills, considering it's the first time he's ever tried it? And he isn't even sore today! Anyways I've convinced him to do the St Patricks Day 5k with me, although he doesn't think he'll have time to train much at all between now and then. He only agreed to do it because I promised there'd be a goody bag. Really really hoping that there is one now?! :confused:

On to Week Five tomorrow. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Last year there was a t-shirt and a bunch of sweets in the goody bag

The last week or so has been a wee bit messy, I've been doing my runs but not really keeping track and I did some of them pretty half-assed.

Anyways I started Week Six today, and made a proper go of it! Felt like I was going a bit faster than usual, not a bad thing. Went well really!

My diet's been a bit crap lately too. All back on track from today though. :)

Just under five weeks to go now til my first 5k race!!!

Two weeks to go til the five K!!! :)

I sort of stopped following the C25K plan, for various reasons ... I know it's a really good plan, but it just wasn't suiting me and I wasn't enjoying my runs anymore. Instead I'm just sort of going out there and running as much as possible, and keeping an eye on my distances and times and trying to improve them. I've been doing the same 4.5 km run, and I think that the fastest I've done it in so far was only around 33 minutes (I have a spreadsheet somewhere with exact times, but can't find it now!!) So I'll have to really speed up quite a bit to hit my 30 minute target for the 5K two weeks from now. Haven't gotten out at all the past week, between studying and being sick. Feeling much better now and super-motivated. :)

Anyways from tomorrow on, I'll be living in a new town, so I'm going to make out a new route - maybe around 6-7 km - and run that as much as possible over the next two weeks, trying to improve my times. Will hopefully try to incorporate some hills also - the 4.5 km route I've been running is completely flat.

So, I haven't yet registered for the Great Ireland 10K in April. I signed my little sister up for the Junior 2.5K version last night though. :) I've been putting it off because I'm not sure what to put as my estimated running time. I had originally planned to aim for 60 minutes, but after running some of the hills in the Phoenix Park, I feel like that might be a bit ambitious? Specially considering the furthest I've run so far is only around 6.5 km. I think I'm going to put down 1:05 to 1:10. Hopefully that's manageable.

And I think I'm going to start keeping track of my runs here again. Been very lazy about keeping it up to date!

I set my alarm for 5.45 this morning (:eek:) and did approximately six km. It was pitch dark starting off! Grand once I got to the main roads though, and it got bright really quickly. Lots of uphills and downhills ... only problem was, I forgot to set the timer on my phone, and once I realised that, I got a bit lazy because I knew I wouldn't be setting a time for myself to beat. :o So I had too many walking breaks, and cut a bit off the end of the route I'd planned out.

Hopefully will make a better effort at it tomorrow! :)

6.7km. Very very slooooow! Tomorrow off I think, then will do the same route and try to improve my time a bit on Thursday. :)

Eeeeep the 5k run is tomorrow!!! :eek:

I haven't been training as much as I'd have liked to the last couple of weeks, though I did get out for a couple of runs (just didn't log them here!) I've given up on the 30 minutes goal. I still haven't managed to do 5k running all together with no walking breaks, so if I manage to do that much tomorrow, I'll be happy with that, and sure it's just giving me a target to beat in the next 5k. :) So the aim for tomorrow is, all running, no walking. Not going to worry about my time, just going to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

No matter what time I get tomorrow, at least I'm exercising regularly now, and getting out for at least 2-3 runs every week, and often more. And I've lost weight and stuff since I started in January. I'm just not going to be disappointed no matter what my time is. :) No matter how long it takes me, it's better than not doing it at all. :) Just going to go out there and enjoy it!

Good luck to anyone else who's going to be there tomorrow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck tomorrow!

You never know, you might surprise yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Best of luck Redz, just enjoy it!

So I did manage to run the whole lot, so that's something. :) My time was 35:16 ... now I know I had said I'd given up on the 30 minute goal, but I was still hoping for maybe 32-33 minutes ... the thing was, I really held back and made a point of running slow so I wouldn't tire myself out, but I know I could have pushed myself a bit harder. I ran the last km quite quickly and would've been able for more after it!

I did find that the heat made things a bit harder, when I'm so used to running in the cold late at night.

Also, I think I mentioned before that my boyfriend, who has never run before, decided to sign up to do this with me? He went for the grand total of four training runs over the past month or so ... and he did the run today in 24:51. Very proud of him! :D

Anyways, I now officially have a target to beat in the next 5 km. smile.gif I'm going to sign up for another one as soon as possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Where are the updates Redz?!

Its been a week!! ;)

• Advertisement

Ha nice to see someone cares! :p

Longish run tomorrow, hopefully.

I will start updating this regularly! :o

Did the Great Ireland Run yesterday. When I signed up for it, I'd been hoping to finish it in around an hour and ten minutes. However, I haven't been training properly in the past couple of weeks, so I had pretty much decided before the race that my time would probably be closer to an hour and a half. Ended up at 01.18.19. Standing around in the heat at the beginning of the race really did not help, but lack of training was the main factor. I'm happy that I finished the race, but I know I could have done better.

It was a great day out, lovely atmosphere. Really enjoyed it all. :)

I'm planning on doing the Kilmovee 10k on 23rd April - less than two weeks away! It's meant to be a nice flat course, so I should definitely be able to improve on yesterday's time.

Did 6km today - however I'd say I ran less than half of it. I kept getting a really bad stitch every time I tried to run, I never get stitches! :confused: I've heard you're meant to run through them til they disappear, and I tried that, but unfortunately I'm just not hardcore enough yet. :o

Still though, I enjoyed my run/walk, and I've got myself a lovely new route now right beside my new home. :) It's right in the middle of the country, so there were loads of lambs and horses and donkeys etc along the way! Big change from my other "regular" routes from the last couple of months, which were through the dodgiest parts of Limerick and Dublin inner city, and usually late at night!

So anyways today's time was 59:53. :rolleyes: Again, just to stress, that was mostly walking, and not even walking fast because of the stitches! I'm going to aim to run that 6k route as many times as I can between now and Saturday week to get ready for the 10k.

Today's "effort" - same 6km, in 51.02 minutes. Not a whole lot better than yesterday, and no stitches to blame this time - just good old laziness! Need to get out of the habit of thinking that I can just stop and walk for a bit whenever I feel like it. My fitness has gone way down again since I did the 5k last month!

No run today - just a 5k walk. Somewhere around 45-50 minutes.

Did a 5k run this morning in 35:54. Would've been nice to beat my time from the St Patricks Day 5k of 35:16 ... at least I wasn't too far off though, should be able to make a decent improvement in my next 5k race on the 15th of May.

Going for a walk this evening, then will do my LSR tomorrow. Although really I should just call it a LR ... all of my runs are slow! :pac: (And also it won't even be all that long. How about RLR - Relatively Long Run?! :P)

Oopsy. Done a couple of (short) (slow) runs since, and haven't updated. redface.gif

Did a longish (well, longish for me) run/walk this evening of 7.46k. Too much walking. Any walking is too much walking!!!

See the thing is this:

I want to be a Duracell Bunny / Clockwork Mouse sort of runner.

I go out for my runs, and I see people running (and these sort of people would represent, I'd imagine, 99.99% of this forum.) They just run so beautifully, stride after stride, just one foot in front of the other. Never sweating, never out of breath. Impeccably dressed - you just know that they didn't come in from work or college, and wonder about whether those socks were clean, or whether that tshirt was OK. They just came in from the harshest day at work, cool as a cucumber, and did their run - no drama, no questions. Because running is Their Thing.

I want it to be My Thing.

I have, the odd time, gotten into "the stride" and it's felt amazing, for that bit of time when it's just happiness, comfort, satisfaction, one foot in front of the other. I love the whole concept of this sport - running - i.e. that you are only ever trying to better yourself. You're never going to beat a world record. You can pretty much always, always, beat a PB. That's what you're fighting for. I want to get to a stage where I'm always fighting myself and winning. Or, eventually, at least putting in a good effort. That's what motivates me, I guess. I want to run because (a) I'm enjoying it, and (b) because I can see solid proof that I'm gradually getting better at it.

And I want to be able to come home from work, and not think about it - just go out and run. And love it. And not worry about getting to the next bridge, or lamppost, or tree. Just run and run and run and be able to go on forever. Like a clockwork mouse.

I'm still so new at this whole running thing, but in the few moments it's fallen together for me and I've gotten it right ... it's actually euphoric. It really is. When it all comes together. I want to get it right, I want it to be like that as much as possible.

I want to come in from work and be straight out the door and be straight into my stride as the Duracell Bunny, the Clockwork Mouse, just out there and focussed and in there and not stopping till job done.

Possibly strange post. Oh well.

Starting some Hal Higdon 10k plan on Monday. Going to stick to it and update it here strictly. Should be fun! :)

Week One - Day One

Stretch and Strength.

Wasn't really too sure what I was at, so ended up doing a yoga stretch and strength thingy on Youtube. It was grand, but sort of seemed to be too easy? Don't think I'm doing it right ...

Week One - Day Two

Per the programme - 2.5 mile run. So, I ran 4.5km (I just cannot think in miles :o ) It was really really really really slow, but I ran it all, which I think isn't bad at all considering I've been doing feck all the past few weeks.

Week One - Day Three/Four

I'm a day behind!!! Didn't get Day Three done yesterday (30 minutes cross), so I did it today instead. Climbed Knocknarea in Sligo. Got soaked! Ah well. Twas fun.

Tomorrow is supposed to be my rest day, so I'll do Day Four then instead (two mile run plus strength.)

Ooh and I just ordered a Pilates DVD for my Stretch & Strength stuff, always wanted to give that a go so now's as good a time as any, will hopefully have the DVD by early next week.

• Advertisement

Did my three mile run today. Well it was around that, possibly slightly more actually, couldn't find my Garmin charger so not sure exactly, and I don't know how long it took. Enjoyed it though.

Not happy with how Week One went so starting again properly tomorrow!! No more excuses or laziness etc.

Advertisement