Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WMC Xbox and windows 7

• 02-01-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Iv did a few searchs on here but nothing helped much,

Right Prob is i have windows 7 with windows media center, And the new xbox 360 slim,!
    Both connceted wirelessy to a realtek router with cablesurf.

Xbox can connect to live fine, and pc works the net no bother.

But i cant get the 2 of them to work together? When i go to WMP and stream, it says the XBox can be seen and is allowed, but i still cant access any of my files?

It says the extender cant be found ? I have allowed media sharing and network discovery?

Can anyone help as its doing my head in and want to get the most outa my xbox,

thanks

Johnny :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 david.ol

On your xbox network settings, have you entered PPoE settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

david.ol wrote: »
    On your xbox network settings, have you entered PPoE settings?

Nope dont think so ?

Where i can find the one from the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Hi D_Turbo,

Try this first....

1. On your xbox go to the Windows Media Center Icon on your main Xbox Menu
    2. Click A and follow the on-screen instructions
    3. About two or three screens in you will get two four digit codes 1234-5678 it will be different for your Xbox
    4. Click A again and then go to your pc
    5. On your PC fire up windows media centre
    6. In the settings you should see an option for Add extender
    7. Follow the on-screen instructions and it will ask you for the two four digit codes that you got from your xbox.
    8. Enter the code and click next, all going well it will detect your xbox and add it as extender.
    9. Go back to your xbox and you should see the same menu setup as your windows media centre

It's worth a bash, let me know how you get on cheers J.

Hi D_Turbo,

Try this first....

1. On your xbox go to the Windows Media Center Icon on your main Xbox Menu
    2. Click A and follow the on-screen instructions
    3. About two or three screens in you will get two four digit codes 1234-5678 it will be different for your Xbox
    4. Click A again and then go to your pc
    5. On your PC fire up windows media centre
    6. In the settings you should see an option for Add extender
    7. Follow the on-screen instructions and it will ask you for the two four digit codes that you got from your xbox.
    8. Enter the code and click next, all going well it will detect your xbox and add it as extender.
    9. Go back to your xbox and you should see the same menu setup as your windows media centre

It's worth a bash, let me know how you get on cheers J.

Thanks for that but iv tried that, Loads :(

But always comes back saying cannot set up extender as its unable to communicate with this computer, yet iv all media sharing etc open?

Must surely be some router prob at this stage:(

Ahhh rats,

well I remember one router I had required you to change a setting to allow devices to talk to each other on the lan.

The only other thing I can think of then is that the ports are blocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 david.ol

D_turbo wrote: »
    Nope dont think so ?

Where i can find the one from the router?
    Don't enter PPoE settings, it will prevent you from being able to communicate with other devices on the network. Check the network settings on your Xbox and make sure they've been left blank.

Also, make sure you've opened the following ports in your router's control panel and make sure the Host Device is your Xbox (for me it appears as an ip address, 192.168.1.12);

• UDP 80
    • UDP 10280 - 10284
    • TCP 53
    • TCP 2869
    • TCP 10243

david.ol wrote: »
    Don't enter PPoE settings, it will prevent you from being able to communicate with other devices on the network. Check the network settings on your Xbox and make sure they've been left blank.

Also, make sure you've opened the following ports in your router's control panel and make sure the Host Device is your Xbox (for me it appears as an ip address, 192.168.1.12);

• UDP 80
    • UDP 10280 - 10284
    • TCP 53
    • TCP 2869
    • TCP 10243

How can i do this?
    Router is Altantic scientific WebSTAR-EPC2434.

D.Turbo,

Check out the guide on this site

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Scientific-Atlanta/WebSTAR-EPC2434/Call_of_Duty_-_Modern_Warfare_2.htm

and input the ports that David.ol suggested, another thing to check would be that Multicast and UnPNP are turned on for the local network

Not sure where this setting is on that type of router though

I tried but have no idea of password or username,

Go to that website in my post earlier they have a list of router types and the default user name and passwords on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement