Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many people make an effort to conserve water during a shortage?

• 02-01-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Be honest. Are you anything different to what you typically would?

Do you make efforts to conserve water during water shortages? 73 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    60% 44 votes
    Option 3
    39% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Nope, And I also fill big bottles of water up every night in case we've none tomorrow so I probably use more than I normally do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Piss in the cistern. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've put some bottles filled with water into the cistern so that it uses less water when I flush the toilet. I don't really use all that much mains supplied water anyway as I get my drinking water from a well supplied by a local drilling company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Should have made the poll public to flush out all the fibbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I don't make any special effort to conserve it during a shortage but I am quite careful with water normally so I certainly don't waste any.

I would never run taps 'to prevent pipes freezing' -I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Where I grew up, water was metered and we paid for our usage. It wasn't a major expense, but I've never been one to waste water in any situation. Even though I know I could never waste anything like as much as industry does, or the amount lost from old water mains.

Adequate clean water is the #1 thing we need for survival: without it, we are fundamentally <expletive deleted>. Seriously. We easily forget how fortunate we are to have it (literally) on tap in our homes - until the taps stop. (Though that hasn't happened recently in this part of D14.)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I'm an option 3 man when it comes to the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've decided to cut all personal hygiene - Guess I'll have to use those 12 lynx sets next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Feck that, it's everyone for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

No pipes near me have frozen and there is no planned water turn off in the area - maybe im just lucky....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

bnt wrote: »
    Where I grew up, water was metered and we paid for our usage. It wasn't a major expense, but I've never been one to waste water in any situation. Even though I know I could never waste anything like as much as industry does, or the amount lost from old water mains.

Adequate clean water is the #1 thing we need for survival: without it, we are fundamentally <expletive deleted>. Seriously. We easily forget how fortunate we are to have it (literally) on tap in our homes - until the taps stop. (Though that hasn't happened recently in this part of D14.)
    Nah, that's air. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I just spend the day running the taps for the absolute craic. Nothing beats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

KeithM89 wrote: »
    No pipes near me have frozen and there is no planned water turn off in the area - maybe im just lucky....:)

Maybe you're very near a hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Maybe you're very near a hospital.

Bout 2 miles ish - or maybe the waters off now and i havent noticed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I am washing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I haven't showered in a few months. Doing my bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    I haven't showered in a few months. Doing my bit.

I stopped using shampoo. Unfortunately due to the lack of water I have to use toilet paper instead of rinsing my arse.

Yep, I do my best. Parents have been completely out of water for 8 days, and it happens most years over Christmas, so I don't take water for granted. The idea of leaving taps running all night makes me sick. We usually have the 'if it's yellow, let it mellow' policy for the toilet and try to spend as little time as possible in the shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I drank my own piss instead of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Yeh, wont go into the details though,
    Having said that whatever I saved my neighbour washed his drive with the other day which I cant understand, but what the hell, he's not paying for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've no poxy choice. Haven't had water for about 18-20 hours a day since early December. Only Christmas Day did i have full water all day. So instead of my showers usually wasting close to 100 liters i'm now only using around 4 liters. I just boil a kettle a bit and pour it over me. Been visiting someone in the hospital a lot recently so get to use the jacks up there. Besides i've 3 jacks in my gaf so when they do fill up i just play musical toilet seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I'm in the habit of drinking lots of tea in the evening and I frequently need to pee come 9pm. So I keep a 3-litre bottle behind my bed and I empty it every morning. That way I save 5 or 6 flushes of the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Thomas828 wrote: »
    I'm in the habit of drinking lots of tea in the evening and I frequently need to pee come 9pm. So I keep a 3-litre bottle behind my bed and I empty it every morning. That way I save 5 or 6 flushes of the toilet.

You pee 5 or 6 times a night and need a 3 liter bottle?!? I think maybe you should see a doctor!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I leave the taps on and laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I'm quite conscientious with water anyway, but I was extra good when the water was limited.
    I was showering very quickly, cut out the once a week bubble baths, only flushing the loo every few times.. we have three so I was doing the same as another poster and weeing in one a few times, then using another. I was only using dribbles of water to brush my teeth and using the same water to boil different types of veg for dinner.
    It's not that difficult to do, but it drove me NUTS to hear of those big eegits leaving the taps running to prevent the pipes freezing. My brother was one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I ran a tap during the big freeze. It was my mother's unoccupied house (she is unwell). I ran the tap at a very slight dribble. The idea was if the pipes froze outside the pipes from the freeze point into the house would empty and I would avoid a burst. The house was heated, and the attic door was left open. I insulated the attic and the attic pipes thoroughly a couple of years ago.

I ran the dribble into a container and calculated that it was less than one gallon an hour. As the house was unoccupied for months the usage was nil for months before that.

I spent hours looking for the stopcock and could not find it. I asked the neighbours and they did not know the stopcock locations. The property management company didn't know. It is a small gated community, mostly two bedroom houses.

I didn't run a tap at my house.

Living in Spain for a year in water-rationed apartments taught me the hard way how to conserve water :pac:
    There was more than enough given to us once you made a few adjustments.
    I tend to have very short showers anyway (yes I'm clean), don't leave the tap running when washing teeth, etc.
    So no I haven't made any adjustments lately, because there isn't that much more to adjust.

steve9859 wrote: »
    You pee 5 or 6 times a night and need a 3 liter bottle?!? I think maybe you should see a doctor!!

That's what tea does to you

Advertisement