Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies....make up or not to make up?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

I recently had a discussion with my boyfriend and then with my friends about the topic of make-up, I wear a generous amount if I have plans for the day or when I go out at night. My boyfriend has made comments about me wearing too much foundation and I get a little hurt over it, I had quite bad skin was I was in my teens right up to when I was about 24, so I have always felt more comfortable and confident with make up on. I am a make-up artist by trade and I have a real passion for it so I take my time and love when people compliment it and ask my advice on it - my question is Do boyfriends ever remark on whether they like their ladies without make up or with make up and Can they win either way if they say they prefer one over the other????
    Px
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Subtle amounts are good, overdoing it to oompa loompa levels are bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

In my experience men seem to favour the natural look, wearing a little but not too much. If it makes you feel better about yourself then why not? It's really only your opinion that counts. Your boyfriend probably doesn't realise he is being insensitive it wouldn't hurt to mention it to him. I've never worn too much make up as I don't think it suits me but I know girls it looks fantastic on.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

For me, I only really wear make up if I'm going out, I just can't be bothered in the morning to be getting up & putting it on. Given a choice, I'd prefer 5 more minutes in bed than 5 minutes in front of the mirror. There is a small part of me sometimes though, when I see these girls who look great, have their hair & make up done nicely during the day and are dressed nicely, when I wish I could be like that too. I don't think I ever will be though!

Personally, as long as you feel that you look good, it's up to you whether you wear make up or not. Feeling good for yourself is the most important thing at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I wear make up every day I leave the house. Not huge amounts, takes 5/10 minutes to do. I'd prefer to be late to work than show up with no make up! I do it to feel more confident in myself, not to attract boys though. I just think I look awful without any on. I do always have the freak out when a boyfriend sees me without make up for the first time, but all I've ever gotten is "Don't be silly, you're grand!"

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I always wear a little make up. I have come to the conclusion that the 'me but better' look is really best.

I invest my limited disposable fund in good quality foundation (YSL) applied with brush (Mac). Eyeliner (Bobby Brown, gel liner) on top lash line, mascara (Loreal, Telescopic). Tinted balm (Rose Vaseline) or gloss (Juicy Tube, Caramel Gospel) and I'm good to go.

Way too much slap is never a good look, and indeed can be so very aging. I have seen pretty girls looking better without the make up so be warned. In my view less is more, just like to look as if I care for myself.

In my view drag queen, over the top make up, is to be avoided at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My boyfriend really does prefer me without makeup on. He admits that I look a bit better with a bit of makeup, but he still prefers me without. Mental.

I usually just wear eye makeup and a bit of concealer. Foundation etc is reserved for going out, although when I was working in an office I often wore a bit of tinted moisturiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

krudler wrote: »
    Subtle amounts are good, overdoing it to oompa loompa levels are bad.

This echoes the statements of men all across boards. But all you have to do is check tLL's picture thread (last few pages) and compare thanks ratios to know that's not true. Men like the fake blonde hair and super-tan more than they'd like to admit.

I like makeup, but I only started wearing it once I hit my 20's, which was very late compared to most. I get by just fine without it, but I prefer it-- it's fun and I enjoy the ritual. I wear it every day wherever I go, but again, if I was without it for a couple days it really wouldn't bother me too much.

I find it's pretty difficult to describe my relationship with makeup; it's just like clothes or accessories or a haircut to me. I'm still me, a bit of paint on my face doesn't change it, and it's a form of expression same as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I only wear make up if I'm going on a night out, never wear it going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

I have run out of make up before for 2-3 days and I get seriously depressed, I have attended work without it and the jokers of the office make comments about how pale I am and go out of their way to tell me I look tired and not myself....I am taking this as a big hint that I suit make up and that I need it!!:D I like to feel good!and going back blonde this year and having my make up, I feel my confidence come back, I am not vain in any way and I am the last person to give myself a compliment but when I am out by myself or even with my boyfriend I get looks and get chatted up quite alot, If I walk down the street without any make up on...I wouldn't get a single glance!Not that its important!!!but the difference is make up makes a huge difference to how I look!and I think my boyfriend doesn't like it because of that:(

pastry2010 wrote: »
    I have run out of make up before for 2-3 days and I get seriously depressed, I have attended work without it and the jokers of the office make comments about how pale I am and go out of their way to tell me I look tired and not myself....I am taking this as a big hint that I suit make up and that I need it!!:D I like to feel good!and going back blonde this year and having my make up, I feel my confidence come back, I am not vain in any way and I am the last person to give myself a compliment but when I am out by myself or even with my boyfriend I get looks and get chatted up quite alot, If I walk down the street without any make up on...I wouldn't get a single glance!Not that its important!!!but the difference is make up makes a huge difference to how I look!and I think my boyfriend doesn't like it because of that:(

I have gone 2 days in public this year without make up on, and both of the days I had so many people comment about how tired I looked! Way to boost my confidence like :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

liah wrote: »
    This echoes the statements of men all across boards. But all you have to do is check tLL's picture thread (last few pages) and compare thanks ratios to know that's not true. Men like the fake blonde hair and super-tan more than they'd like to admit.

I like makeup, but I only started wearing it once I hit my 20's, which was very late compared to most. I get by just fine without it, but I prefer it-- it's fun and I enjoy the ritual. I wear it every day wherever I go, but again, if I was without it for a couple days it really wouldn't bother me too much.

I find it's pretty difficult to describe my relationship with makeup; it's just like clothes or accessories or a haircut to me. I'm still me, a bit of paint on my face doesn't change it, and it's a form of expression same as anything else.

Is tLL pic thanking the new facebook stalking :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    Is tLL pic thanking the new facebook stalking :pac:

Apparently so :pac: But I assume you know what I'm talking about.. I don't wanna reference it outright because it'll just be taken as catty and it's not fair to single out a poster, but I'm just making a point-- men can decry makeup all they want, but that thanks count speaks for itself.

And there's nothing wrong with that, either, she's a gorgeous girl!

I never understood the types who judge on whether a girl does or doesn't wear makeup. The ones who don't inevitably feel "better" than the girls who do and/or vice versa. Who cares, makeup is fun, do whatever the hell ya like and screw the nay-sayers.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I never leave the house without make up on (foundation/blush),
    Thankfully my style is subtle and most don't realise I'm wearing it until I use eyeliner & mascara, then I get comments like....oh you're wearing makeup who you trying to impress etc etc :rolleyes:

Apparently so :pac: But I assume you know what I'm talking about.. I don't wanna reference it outright because it'll just be taken as catty and it's not fair to single out a poster, but I'm just making a point-- men can decry makeup all they want, but that thanks count speaks for itself.

And there's nothing wrong with that, either, she's a gorgeous girl!

I never understood the types who judge on whether a girl does or doesn't wear makeup. The ones who don't inevitably feel "better" than the girls who do and/or vice versa. Who cares, makeup is fun, do whatever the hell ya like and screw the nay-sayers.

You know everyone is going to go looking to find out who it is now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I wouldn't use the pictures thread as a way to judge, when men say they prefer small amounts of make up they generally mean for day to day living as opposed to the oopma loompa look every day of the week. However that does not mean they do not like more make up on specific occasions. At the Christmas party every year in work the women get excited about getting to wear a fancy dress, the sort they wouldn't wear every Friday night but only for such a special occasion. This would men's attitudes to the make up they find attractive on women, in my experience anyway. They like the look of lots of make up for fancy occasions but wearing that every day would be off putting.

So to get a man's opinion I will need post a pic and see if Men think I wear too much make up!:rolleyes:

Maguined wrote: »
    I wouldn't use the pictures thread as a way to judge, when men say they prefer small amounts of make up they generally mean for day to day living as opposed to the oopma loompa look every day of the week. However that does not mean they do not like more make up on specific occasions. At the Christmas party every year in work the women get excited about getting to wear a fancy dress, the sort they wouldn't wear every Friday night but only for such a special occasion. This would men's attitudes to the make up they find attractive on women, in my experience anyway. They like the look of lots of make up for fancy occasions but wearing that every day would be off putting.

Ah but now in fairness, men on boards are constantly banging on about how much they can't stand fake tan and how much they can't stand oompa loompas and all that other crap, when it's obviously bs!

I get what you mean, I just don't understand why they have to go around insulting women who look like that when they secretly love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

I used not wear make up on a day to day basis until my early 20's. Now I sometimes throw on a bit of tinted moisturiser and concealer in the morning if i have time, but if not I'll happily go to work without! I do feel a little better when I have some on though, it's nice to know you look good :)

If my boyfriend ever sees me putting on make up when there's nothing particularly on that day/normal work day, he says 'why are you putting that on? you don't need that stuff!' I think it's lovely that he thinks that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't really wear make-up during the day. Only a bit of concealer and powder because my skin can look shiny/spotty. I don't think I look a whole lot different with make-up on anyway, but that's probably because when I do wear make I make it look as natural as possible. Any fella I've been with has said they've preferred me without make-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Because its not a fair comparison. When these make up threads pop up it is normally asked from an average day point of view, and that is when you get men disliking too much make up. They have no problem with plenty of makeup but just on certain occassions. Just as plenty of women will say they like a man in a full tux as it looks good but they mean for specific events and would probably not like their man to wear a tux down to the shops to pick up the dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah but now in fairness, men on boards are constantly banging on about how much they can't stand fake tan and how much they can't stand oompa loompas and all that other crap, when it's obviously bs!

I get what you mean, I just don't understand why they have to go around insulting women who look like that when they secretly love it.

Perhaps it is different people thanking. Also even if you prefer girls one way, they could probably still find a hot person hot? :p And just much prefer her without the make up. I like make up, but like most, proclaim to not like too much (/apart from dark eyes heh) but I would still find people attractive with a lot make up, just not as much. Out of all my gfs only one has worn make up, my current one and she wears practically none, so I do go for that. But then some people have the skin for it etc. I do think more people like loads of make up than they say though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I don't wear a ton of make up, but I wear foundation, bronzer and mascara every day,sometimes with lip gloss, which achieves the eh 'natural' look ;) I bet most guys wouldn't even realise I was wearing it. It takes me about 5mins in the morning. But on nights out I'll wear more, and I love spending a bit more time on it, usually about 20mins. I love eye make up and experimenting with different shades etc.

There was actually a thread on here over a year ago where posters posted pics of themselves with and without make up. Might be an idea to dig it up or start a new one? It was definitely interesting!:)

Well I have posted a pic on the pics thread and I will see the general opinion, If people did think oooooh she wears too much I think I would try tone it down but either the people in my life are too nice (until my boyf said it)and haven't said it before. but thanks to everyone for commenting, I think the general opinion here is that guys like it more than they admit, why wouldn't they they like that their girlfriend makes an effort for them and is holding their hand!:o

Well I have posted a pic on the pics thread and I will see the general opinion, If people did think oooooh she wears too much I think I would try tone it down but either the people in my life are too nice (until my boyf said it)and haven't said it before. but thanks to everyone for commenting, I think the general opinion here is that guys like it more than they admit, why wouldn't they they like that their girlfriend makes an effort for them and is holding their hand!:o

I think you look great, and even if people do think you wear too much who cares, it's not your job to live for everyone else's wants or needs, life's too short for that! Wear what you like, anyone worth their weight will think you're fantastic either way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

That's not much at all, you look great!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I look better with some eyeliner but I still rarely wear it. I find my skin tends to be unhappy if I wear foundation, however light, even though I scrub very thoroughly when taking it off again.
    I wouldn't like "with makeup" to be my default state though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's fake tan at night, and fake tan in the day. Fake tan during the day can look very orange, but at a different light setting, it can look more natural. I say this as when walking in or through Trinity during the day, the orange wans are noticeable, but in the evening time, the orange wans are never about. I'm putting this down to a) they don't come out at night, or b) the orange doesn't look so bad in the evening?
    I have run out of make up before for 2-3 days and I get seriously depressed, I have attended work without it and the jokers of the office make comments about how pale I am and go out of their way to tell me I look tired and not myself....I am taking this as a big hint that I suit make up and that I need it!!:D
    Er... no. To me, it seems that they are used to you looking like X, and when you come in looking like Y, they see a big difference, and tell you.

It also means that they didn't know that you usually wear make-up, and that you apply it very well onto yourself.
    Well I have posted a pic on the pics thread
    Looks okay. Doesn't seem to be that much make-up, but your face does look "shiny", but that could be just the flash from the camera.

=-=

I like a bit of make-up on women. Subtle. Not caked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I don't wear make-up, and haven't worn it in about 5-6 years. I just don't like it and don't really feel comfortable wearing it, plus I've never found a foundation that didn't make me break out in huge amounts of spots, so there's no point.

Each to their own though, don't have a problem with others wearing it, just don't like it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dont know if men are being serious or just polite when they say women look better without makeup. If thats the case take it off them in the nigtclubs and see if they would agree! Look at that Katy Perry photo without her makeup on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Maguined wrote: »

This pretty much sums up how I feel. You have obviously read The Man Handbook!

But since the pictures thread was mentioned, I did actually have a look through the last few pages (purely for research of course :pac:) and the thanks were pretty even between lots of different looks. Plus you have to allow for the fact that this is TLL and there are naturally lots of girls thanking posts as well.

There were basically girls of every different type with lots of thanks. Some were wearing lots of make up and others were not. Some were blonde, some brunette and everything in between. There were also a few who looked great but didn't have as many thanks because they weren't pulling a funny face, in a funny place, dressed up, in costume or some other thanks pulling device. And having a dog seemed to be the golden route towards thanks! I have also noticed I seem to have a preference for a certain type of photo judging by who I have thanked! But I didn't notice a distinct difference for those with or without make-up.

From my perspective, I tend to like the same type of girl regardless of whether she is wearing make-up or not. And I definitely prefer girls who do not have the tango look, though if I was in a nightclub it is less obvious due to the lights. But in the cold, light of day, those tans are not very attractive. I much prefer porcelain white skin to tangerine tanned skin. (Though a well applied tan can look well for certain occasions). As Maguined said, the simple, natural look is preferable on a day-to-day basis and the wow factor can come out for special occasions. I would also say that pretty often the wow is actually more for the dress and hair than the make-up.

Edit: The last line should not taken as me saying that the make-up does not look good, just that I would always notice the dress and hair before the make-up

Advertisement