Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies....make up or not to make up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

pastry2010 wrote: »
    I wear a generous amount if I have plans for the day or when I go out at night. My boyfriend has made comments about me wearing too much foundation

Maybe you do wear too much, and you shouldn't be insulted or hurt if he's trying to tell you you look better with less.

Personally I find a lot of girls who had skin issues wear a lot of foundation, even when they really don't need to anymore. And it can be off putting because instead of noticing how pretty someone is you just notice the makeup.

I've a friend who wears a lot of foundation and I avoid hugging her in a cheek to cheek way because I don't want her makeup on me or my clothes. And shes' gorgeous without it.

I wear makeup when I'm out, but lifes too short to be spending time painting myself in case someone thinks I look tired.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Pastry, i think your pic is lovely-not too much makeup at all, and you were obviously on a night out, so i assume you were wearing more than you would during the day.

I love makeup, choosing it, applying it, wearing it, experimenting with different looks, but oddly enough i wear very little on a day to day basis. In fact pretty much the only thing i might use daily is concealer, as i am cursed with dark circles, and am on a constant quest to find the perfect one(all suggestions welcome:p) On a night out i wear full face, but its still a pretty natural look, apart from smoky eyes. My boyfriend would never comment on my makeup apart from hating lipgloss(no kissing for me when i wear my beloved YSL 24 carat gloss :mad:) In fact the only thing he gives out about are my glasses, but they aren't going anywhere until i can justify the expense of laser eye surgery!

Liah, i agree with your point about tLL pic thread, its a pretty good gauge of mens perceptions of women-i showed himself and he automatically gave thumbs up to anyone wearing makeup! In fact the other day i showed him that picture of Katy Perry without makeup and he didn't recognise her and said he wouldn't rate her at all, same goes for Eva Longoria, who is his idea of perfection, but without makeup he didn't recognise her and wasn't in the least interested!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

It's true though....if you open your eyes, those girls who wear heavy make up and fake tan get more attention than even very attractive girls that don't. Men tell us this is not true...but it's rubbish. I'm back home for Christmas (home again to Spain in the morning...sob sob) and I went out to my local in the town I'm from. The girls were all very young;teens and early twenties but I got a shock at how much make-up they wore - they were wearing very heavy make-up and fake tan...a lot has changed since "my day" (fado fado) but the men of every age clearly loved it. The girls with less didn't get a look in. Grand. Good for all of them (in fairness, most of the girls looked hot) but don't tell me that's not what a hell of a lot of men go for. Women emulate that because they see the attention it gets.

I wear mascara everyday and that's it. When I got out (this is actually a recent enough thing), I wear eye-liner, a thin layer of foundation if my skin is looking rough (but most of the time not...I've grand skin) and a very recent thing, lipstick (!) but this is only when I go out on the town (not just down to the pub for a few). I think I posted up here before only a year ago or so to say I never wore make-up (bar mascara) going out but I've decided to be less puritanical about it and give it lash. I definitely get more attention with it on. I just don't want ot ever get to the stage where I look in the mirror and feel uglier or just ugly without it. I want to love me as I am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Pastry - I'm not a man, but I thought your make up looked lovely in the picture. Really well put on, not caked or anything. Besides, didn't you say in your OP that you're a makeup artist? So isn't it part of the job that you are made up as well? If I was going to a make up artist I'd want to see them with their make up on just to make sure it wouldn't result in me having to wash my face & do my own make up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    It's true though....if you open your eyes, those girls who wear heavy make up and fake tan get more attention than even very attractive girls that don't. Men tell us this is not true...but it's rubbish. I'm back home for Christmas (home again to Spain in the morning...sob sob) and I went out to my local in the town I'm from. The girls were all very young;teens and early twenties but I got a shock at how much make-up they wore - they were wearing very heavy make-up and fake tan...a lot has changed since "my day" (fado fado) but the men of every age clearly loved it. The girls with less didn't get a look in. Grand. Good for all of them (in fairness, most of the girls looked hot) but don't tell me that's not what a hell of a lot of men go for. Women emulate that because they see the attention it gets.

I really think that if there was a sudden worldwide ban on make-up, the same girls would get attention as they are likely to be the most attractive, wearing the least or putting themselves out there (I don't mean that in a slutty way, just that some people are better at giving positive body language, have more confidence and better at reading other peoples body language).

Though I do agree that certain men are a bit clueless about women and make-up. The Katy Perry thread on AH is evidence enough of that as she looked exactly like a pretty girl with no make pulling a funny face in bed would look like.

And I'll say it again, the KYL thread is not the best indicator of mens tastes as a large amount of the thanks are from female posters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

I work in a laser eye clinic for the last 3 years and also had my eyes done....FABULOUS!when your ready to have it done, come to see me I'll look after you!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I work in a laser eye clinic for the last 3 years and also had my eyes done....FABULOUS!when your ready to have it done, come to see me I'll look after you!:)

It might be a while...bills bills bills.... :D

mariebeth wrote: »
    Pastry - I'm not a man, but I thought your make up looked lovely in the picture. Really well put on, not caked or anything. Besides, didn't you say in your OP that you're a makeup artist? So isn't it part of the job that you are made up as well? If I was going to a make up artist I'd want to see them with their make up on just to make sure it wouldn't result in me having to wash my face & do my own make up ;)

Yes I was a make up artist but no longer in that profession, I think Men like to look at something pretty and admire it in a club but it is a different story when it's their girlfriend!Am I right?

Px

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I wear make-up most days if I'm popping out somewhere, mainly because I have small scars (from spots, I have black bags and I have spots.

I wear foundation (a tiny amount), some translucent powder, bronzer and sometimes I wear clear mascara.

I personally feel better when wearing make-up as I feel as though the scars, spots and black bags are covered and I feel if they're no covered, then I am self-conscious. Also sometimes when I've not worn make-up I've been asked if I'm ill or tired and told I'm "very pale", though when I do wear make-up, I am not orange/brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

the jokers of the office make comments about how pale I am(

I think you're wearing foundation that's too dark for your skin tone.
    The only difference when you;re not wearing make-up should be that a few blemished are visible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Natural make up is good and also good for skin protection,along with facial creme etc..

Natural good.
    natural-makeup.bmp

Too much bad.

TOO-MUCH-MAKEUP.JPG&t=1:D

haha!ok thats extreme I'm not that bad!:D I think it could be physcological though, I relied on make up for so many years to hide my skin condition and now I have great skin (well better then it was) the odd spot here and there.:D I just don't feel myself without the slap on!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It's true though....if you open your eyes, those girls who wear heavy make up and fake tan get more attention than even very attractive girls that don't.
    I really think that if there was a sudden worldwide ban on make-up, the same girls would get attention as they are likely to be the most attractive, wearing the least or putting themselves out there (I don't mean that in a slutty way, just that some people are better at giving positive body language and reading other peoples).

Yep, I agree. I would believe these girls getting attention were also quite confident and/or were dressed in a certain way that appealed to guys.

Make-up is there to enhance your features, not mask them. Maybe that is what the OPs boyfriend was trying to say. That basically you don't need to wear that much make-up, you look pretty without. I think it's quite a nice thing to say. It would be worse if it was the opposite! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I think a little bit of make-up that looks natural is the way to go during the day and having it a little heavier then when going out at night. I prefer the little bit of make-up rather than a load of it on depends on the occasion. I used to have bad skin so ended up going to secondary school wearing make-up and wore it everyday going to college and work without fail! Felt better about myself and felt bare if I didn't wear make-up going to college/work. Now days I just wear make-up the odd time, for occasions, going out at night, going shopping, usually when I leave the house sometimes. I don't always wear make-up around the house day after day unless its a special occasion or visitors are around. So you often find me either without make-up or very little make-up on.

It shouldn't bother people whether you wear make-up or not, do what you feel. Some girls look better with make-up others don't some actually look better without make-up on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi Op

I have had the opposite comments, my ex used to complain about me not wearing make up as did another previous guy. I rarely wear it but must admit that when I do I look better.

I think you just have to please yourself in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I love just to experiment with colours for eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara, blushes, lipgloss etc. I enjoy the creativity of it when trying to create a certain look. I know what colours suit me and ones that are fashionable and trendy. I probably have tried every colour under the sun and type of make-up when younger! Now I just go with trendy colours that suit me. Often match make-up colours to my mood/occasion/outfit. I do stick with my usuals like rimmle, bourjois and maybelline (brown blusher rather than pink), pink and brown lippys, black mascara, certain foundations of different brands but have to use a liquid one cause of my skin same applies to concealor (elizbeth arden, max factor and lancome I find the best, I find the estee lauder is very artifical on my skin the others looks more natural on me) and buy what is big in like the new smokey eye liner by max factor its brilliant. So easy to use. Lip liner is probably the only thing I don't use. I love any make-up that sparkles, shines and shimmers!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I really think that if there was a sudden worldwide ban on make-up, the same girls would get attention as they are likely to be the most attractive, wearing the least or putting themselves out there (I don't mean that in a slutty way, just that some people are better at giving positive body language, have more confidence and better at reading other peoples body language).

Though I do agree that certain men are a bit clueless about women and make-up. The Katy Perry thread on AH is evidence enough of that as she looked exactly like a pretty girl with no make pulling a funny face in bed would look like.

And I'll say it again, the KYL thread is not the best indicator of mens tastes as a large amount of the thanks are from female posters!

You really think the girls who cake it on (now I mean CAKE the stuff on, not just wear some make-up plus layer on the fake tan) are more confident than the girls who go without? You honestly think they'd be able to cope with the ban? I know plenty of girls who would go into a meltdown if she had to run to the shops to get milk without the slap. Hmmm. I dunno. I think a lot of our short-term confidence comes from our looks...if I feel I look good, I'm going to act accordingly. I think the girls who layer it on don't have the attitude of, "Ah sure I could take it or leave it". I think many of them need that war paint to muster up that confidence.....plus the attention from men would bolster that. It's all kind of a fantasy.

I think this look makes them stand out from the ordinary...gives them a kind of untouchable, popstar, superstar quality because they're essentially emulating what most famous young women look like nowadays and men like that fantasy. It's kind of a type of escapism. Untouchableness (is that a word) is attractive, particularly when it comes to females. I'm more inclined to feel more comfortable talking to another girl without so much make-up because I'd feel they're more...grounded and are not so concious of the attention they're getting...but for a one night stand...well, I can see the attraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

liah wrote: »
    This echoes the statements of men all across boards. But all you have to do is check tLL's picture thread (last few pages) and compare thanks ratios to know that's not true. Men like the fake blonde hair and super-tan more than they'd like to admit.

I like makeup, but I only started wearing it once I hit my 20's, which was very late compared to most. I get by just fine without it, but I prefer it-- it's fun and I enjoy the ritual. I wear it every day wherever I go, but again, if I was without it for a couple days it really wouldn't bother me too much.

I find it's pretty difficult to describe my relationship with makeup; it's just like clothes or accessories or a haircut to me. I'm still me, a bit of paint on my face doesn't change it, and it's a form of expression same as anything else.

*puts hand up sheepishly*

Sorry but I am not a huge fan of the natural look. I like fake tan and make up on women.

Jumpy wrote: »
    *puts hand up sheepishly*

Sorry but I am not a huge fan of the natural look. I like fake tan and make up on women.

Horrrrrrrayyyyyyyyy!I've been waiting on someone to come along and admit that!:D

good job Jumpy!

I always wear foundation at the very least. Would love to be able to get by without make up but I have awful dark circles under my eyes and my cheeks can get red too. I got the Bare Minerals stuff recently as its suppossed to look very natural, but it really does make me look like I'm wearing no make up (and not in a good way)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scoll

Mascara can be your best friend. It makes everyone look ten times better, even if they have no other make-up on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I have normal day make-up and going out for night or dinner make-up. Day to day it's minimal and natural, much more and brighter colours for a night out. 9/10 I am wearing at least a quick brush of foundation and a bit of lip gloss - because I'm addicted to that stuff more than for aesthetics. :o

I often don't bother with it at all, as I'm bad at getting up in the morning. I'd say over 70% of time I don't wear any. If I do, it's just natural brown eyeshadow, some blusher and concealer and maybe a dab of lip gloss. The only time I properly get made up is when I'm going out for dinner/drinks/clubbing, then I wear the liquid eyeliner and bright eyeshadow (love MAC make-up for nights out). If I wore all that every day, it wouldn't be so much fun to wear it at night!

You really think the girls who cake it on (now I mean CAKE the stuff on, not just wear some make-up plus layer on the fake tan) are more confident than the girls who go without? You honestly think they'd be able to cope with the ban? I know plenty of girls who would go into a meltdown if she had to run to the shops to get milk without the slap. Hmmm. I dunno. I think a lot of our short-term confidence comes from our looks...if I feel I look good, I'm going to act accordingly. I think the girls who layer it on don't have the attitude of, "Ah sure I could take it or leave it". I think many of them need that war paint to muster up that confidence.....plus the attention from men would bolster that. It's all kind of a fantasy.

Well the confidence issue was one aspect. Some of the girls who get attention on nights out are extremely confident and dress and act accordingly. But I just included that in the list which basically was a catch all for the characteristics of girls that get attention on nights out.

I would agree that there are women who wear more make-up than is necessary because they have little confidence. The ban line was more targeted at the guys than the girls as I was talking about the reactions of men. I am friends with one lovely looking girl who refuses to leave the house without make-up. She is a Grade A stunner, really friendly and fun and would get the attention of men regardless of what make-up she had on. But she would not contemplate going out, to work or when we were in college without make-up. So whilst she does get attention on nights out and she is wearing a lot of make-up w/fake tan, it is not the makeup and fake tan that is getting the attention. It is the really pretty girl who is fun and smiley who is getting attention.

Then there are the girls on nights out who wear clothes that get guys attention, there are plenty of guys who prefer bodies to faces, so make-up makes little difference to them. The girls you talked about in your post are likely to be girls who not just wear a lot make-up and tan, but wear clothes that highlight their figures. A world without make-up would not change that.

So basically, my post was speaking about guys and the girls that get their attention on nights out. I think that the same type of girls will always get attention and make-up will not make much difference. There are a lot of reasons why they get attention. A lot of the girls that you are talking about would still get the same attention if they were dressed the same and acted the same on nights out.

Plus I would also be wrong if I didn't mention that there are guys who cherry pick the girls that they give attention to on nights out. Rightly or wrongly, they will often see girls with lots of make-up, fake tan and short dresses as "game". So the really pretty girl with no make-up that you see being ignored, is not necessarily viewed by the guys as being worse than the tango girls. Yes you are right that it makes them stand out, but it might not always be for the right reasons.

Edit: For space reasons, the above is full of lots of generalizations!

Horrrrrrrayyyyyyyyy!I've been waiting on someone to come along and admit that!:D

good job Jumpy!

I think I admitted it too, but once it is not OTT and it should be saved for special occasions! A mix of the natural look and the glam look is fine. Looking like you were shot by Homer Simpsons Make Up gun (hopefully somebody gets that reference!) on a daily basis is not fine!

BTW I agree with everybody else here, you have the right balance in the photo you put up, especially since you were on a night out.

I think I admitted it too, but said it should once it is not OTT and it should be saved for special occasions! A mix of the natural look and the glam look is fine. Looking like you were shot by Homer Simpsons Make Up gun (hopefully somebody gets that reference!) on a daily basis is not fine!

BTW I agree with everybody else here, you have the right balance in the photo you put up, especially since you were on a night out.

Sorry I just saw that you also said that:D and I appreciate a man's opinion on what is the right balance and that I got it right, the reason I put up this picture was my boyfriend said...wow have you got enough eye make up on there when I mey him and I thought crap is it too much, that the most I would wear at night, false eyelashes too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

I wouldn't leave the house without some item of make up on....that's not to say that i can't or won't. I just make sure i have suffcient time to put on something. Mascara, a neutral eyeshadow and vaseline/lip gloss are essential for me. It just gives me a little boost knowing that i look ok:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I normally wear very little make up - lipstick. If I am putting the heavy stuff on for me that would be eyeshaddow and mascara. I am 36 and have never worn more than that - my one weakness is that I like using Simple facial wipes.

At the moment I am wearing no makeup as I do not feel comfortable wearing it while I am pregnant, sure I have the "pregnancy glow" at the moment so that will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

nesbitt wrote: »
    I always wear a little make up. I have come to the conclusion that the 'me but better' look is really best.

I invest my limited disposable fund in good quality foundation (YSL) applied with brush (Mac). Eyeliner (Bobby Brown, gel liner) on top lash line, mascara (Loreal, Telescopic). Tinted balm (Rose Vaseline) or gloss (Juicy Tube, Caramel Gospel) and I'm good to go.

Way too much slap is never a good look, and indeed can be so very aging. I have seen pretty girls looking better without the make up so be warned. In my view less is more, just like to look as if I care for myself.

In my view drag queen, over the top make up, is to be avoided at all costs.

Totally agree with the '' me but better'' motto, I wear natural make up by day to work ( Im too pale without it during the winter) and not over the top by night but I like to either have dramatic eyes or lips when going out. Theres nothing worse than someone whos caked in make up and looks like a drag queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I love make up, although at 22 I'm only really just discovering what works for me and what doesn't. It takes awhile, a lot of mistakes (blue eyeshadow and MAC foundations :p ) but you finally get what works for you.

I know the balance between day and night make up and the importance of applying make up in good light. Primer, I have also discovered is a must :D

Advertisement