Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies....make up or not to make up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

( Im too pale without it during the winter)

See this I don't get. What's "too pale"? My skin is white. I am very pale naturally. I don't wear darker make-up up because I don't feel like I should change my skin colour! Pale doesn't look unhealthy if that's how your skin is supposed to be. Not attacking you or anything..it's just something I don't get!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

Vinta81 wrote: »
    I love make up, although at 22 I'm only really just discovering what works for me and what doesn't. It takes awhile, a lot of mistakes (blue eyeshadow and MAC foundations :p ) but you finally get what works for you.

I know the balance between day and night make up and the importance of applying make up in good light. Primer, I have also discovered is a must :D

I've never tried primer but thats one make up product that is on my 'Buy' list!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Well, I think it depends on the look that you are trying to achieve, I myself prefer the slight tanned look as it makes me look healthier, There are some girls that suit being pale celebs like Nicole Kidman and Nicola from girls aloud, but everyone has different ideas and what makes them look and feel good! The darker shades are just more popular..Thats why the fake tan business do a roaring trade!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

annieire wrote: »

Neither did I until November! After what seemed like hundreds of recommendations, I went with Smashbox photo finish. It has really helped!

http://www.smashbox.com/WISH-FOR-THE-PERFECT-PRIMERS-SET

Got that for my birthday and it's <3

Also got a stand alone one and a Laura Mericer one, sooo good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Lia_lia wrote: »
    See this I don't get. What's "too pale"? My skin is white. I am very pale naturally. I don't wear darker make-up up because I don't feel like I should change my skin colour! Pale doesn't look unhealthy if that's how your skin is supposed to be. Not attacking you or anything..it's just something I don't get!

I agree with you. I don't get it either. And if you go a for a darker shade of a foundation you get this nasty line which just looks horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

+1 to this! I'm also very pale. It's even difficult to find make up light enough to match my skin. A couple of people have said to me, "how can you not wear fake tan, I'd hate to be so pale!". Eh thanks very much :rolleyes: but I actually like myself the way I am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Kya1976 wrote: »
    I agree with you. I don't get it either. And if you go a for a darker shade of a foundation you get this nasty line which just looks horrible.

Only if you apply it incorrectly - This is why you need to find a foundation which a) suits our skin b) suits your skin tone

I have 2 foundations one for day to day and one for night when I put on fake tan!I apply it with a sponge but that also depends on which foundation you use, I never have lines - it's a pet hate of mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

It takes awhile, a lot of mistakes (blue eyeshadow and MAC foundations :p )

Oh god, the bright blue eyeshadow, I've been down that road...! :o

(with green in the crease, oh and glitter. Oh yes, I went all out:p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Only if you apply it incorrectly - This is why you need to find a foundation which a) suits our skin b) suits your skin tone

I have 2 foundations one for day to day and one for night when I put on fake tan!I apply it with a sponge but that also depends on which foundation you use, I never have lines - it's a pet hate of mine!

But if your skin tone is light surely it looks better to go for a lighter shade? I'm not a make up artis so correct me if I'm wrong:p

I never use darker shades myself its more what I've seen on other girls. The line is as bad as orange make up really.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

G86 wrote: »
    Oh god, the bright blue eyeshadow, I've been down that road...! :o

(with green in the crease, oh and glitter. Oh yes, I went all out:p)

Oh the glitter! Glitter nail polish, eye shadows, those lil glitter pots that got everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Make up.

I like it.
    I like the ritual of applying it.
    I like how it feels on my skin.
    I like how it makes me look.
    I like being able to look like different people everyday if I want.
    I like being able to hide flaws if I want. In the same way I wouldn't wear clothes that don't suit me, I wear make up to bring out my best features and gloss over not so great features.
    I like how it makes me feel.
    I like how it brings my outfit/look together.
    I like the confidence it gives me.
    I like the process of taking it off at night.

I'll gladly go to the shops without make up but it'd be a rare day you'd see me in college/work without it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Kya1976 wrote: »
    But if your skin tone is light surely it looks better to go for a lighter shade? I'm not a make up artis so correct me if I'm wrong:p

I never use darker shades myself its more what I've seen on other girls. The line is as bad as orange make up really.....

I think she means she only uses the darker shade when she's used fake tan on the rest of her body so it matches up, rather than her tanned body with a paler face.

Foundation to me is to even out skin tone and "brighten" complexion on those dull days ;) The rest of those lovely products just heighten the features one already has, as someone else said "me but better". It shouldn't make a person unrecognisable. Blush and bronzer to paint on some cheekbones, eyebrow pencil to actually have eyebrows (damn blonde brows). I love make up. It's fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I prefer to wear some eyeliner, even just a tiny bit, and mascara. But I really could not be bothered with foundation, and I'm not good at putting it on anyway :p

I think it depends on the guy...some guys I know prefer more natural looking girls, while some will go straight for the girls plastered in makeup and tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

OP, your make up looks great. Not too much at all. Love the look! I aim for something similar myself. My boyfriend prefers me with lots of make up on and so do I. I put on the works every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

only wear it on a night out or if ive somewhere special to go, just havnt got the patience + ive very pale have only found the proper colour in expensive foundations and cant justify wearing them every day and cant afford it either tbh

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

annieire wrote: »
    Ah nuts, I knew I forgot to buy something in Duty Free over the weekend.
    Oh the glitter! Glitter nail polish, eye shadows, those lil glitter pots that got everywhere!
    A woman can never have enough sparkle. Seriously, I remember seeing a pic of me when I was younger and I was like a walking Christmas tree decoration:D

With regards my own makeup, currently my wonky ovaries and the weather are combining forces to play havoc with my skin so I don't feel comfortable unless I'm wearing concealer, not that I have spots but the scars are still a little too livid for me to go without, i'd feel too self conscious.

Daytime makeup is very minimal, unless I get a yen to properly paint my face on a morning. Make more of an effort on a night out and use foundation, do proper eye makeup etc.

I love makeup, i'm not caked in it but I feel that it enhances my features and I like that, it helps me feel more confident in myself if i'm having an off day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

There´s pale as in a lovely milky pale then there´s the sickly pasty pale, which probably means you should be getting more exercise and veg and not just covering it up with a layer of brown foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

I didnt say I look unhealthy I just said Im too pale for work etc with out make up( in my opinion) I just just feel more confortable with a small ammount of make up. I also didnt say I wear make up to change my skin colour, Im a trained make up artist and choose foundations to match my skin tone. Make up for me is about enhancing my features, not covering over my face.

It is possible for people to be able to apply flattering natural day make up without looking plastered, some posters here seems to think its either bare faced or orange which is a very ignorant view on things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ Yeah but you said you look too pale in the winter! And if you think you look too pale then that mean you apply a foundation darker then your natural skintone, right? I often wear foundation during the day...but it's exactly (or as close as I can get!) the same colour as my natural skin colour. I wear it to even out my skintone/reduce shine/conceal spots. Sorry I just assumed you wear a shade darker as you mentioned the pale thing, lots of people do it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I wear makeup everyday of the week provided im leaving my house. It makes me feel more confident in myself and look less miserable i guess . Think i can look really tired without it.

Also although i wear the right shade for my fair skin (which i love) it makes me look less pale if that makes sence as im all the same colour then with a bit bronzer and blusher over it gives me a bit of colour all over. I wear Foundation, Powder, Bronzer, Blusher and Mascara everyday but i never look like im wearing tons of makeup.

Its how you apply it i guess. Absolutly hate the orange tan to the neck then a big pale face look than some girls think is 'Sexy'.

Btw OP you look great.

I've no account on Boards must sign up :)

• Advertisement

^ Yeah but you said you look too pale in the winter! And if you think you look too pale then that mean you apply a foundation darker then your natural skintone, right? I often wear foundation during the day...but it's exactly (or as close as I can get!) the same colour as my natural skin colour. I wear it to even out my skintone/reduce shine/conceal spots. Sorry I just assumed you wear a shade darker as you mentioned the pale thing, lots of people do it though!

Maybe I should clarify, In my opinion my bare face is too pale, I apply the correct shade of foundation to suit my skin tone and I liven up my features with blusher, bronzer to contour my cheek bones, mascara etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

In my opinion my bare face is too pale, I apply the correct shade of foundation to suit my skin tone and I liven up my features with blusher, bronzer to contour my cheek bones...

I get what you mean. I'm naturally really pale and without a bit of blush, I look a bit washed out. Not unhealthy, I just think I look better with a bit of colour added to my cheeks :)

I think the key with make-up is applying it and blending it well. There's plenty of women who wear quite a lot of make-up but manage to pull it off and look great because they've put it on well... It isn't obvious straight away how much they're wearing! Then, there are those who cake it on and have obvious lines and streaks, which isn't such a good look!

If you blend well, you're less likely to be noticed for wearing "too much" or a lot of make-up.

I get what you mean. I'm naturally really pale and without a bit of blush, I look a bit washed out. Not unhealthy, I just think I look better with a bit of colour added to my cheeks :)

Exactly!! :)
    And no matter what make someone wears ,if its applied well then it will look well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

pastry2010 wrote: »
    haha!ok thats extreme I'm not that bad!:D I think it could be physcological though, I relied on make up for so many years to hide my skin condition and now I have great skin (well better then it was) the odd spot here and there.:D I just don't feel myself without the slap on!:p

Wear what you like girl and doesnt matter what another person on planet thinks.
    You are gorgeous looking girl aswell and make up is lovely in the pic so no you havent gone to far.And might i add you i believe would look great without it to.Your skin is lovely :)

I do believe alot of men say same to their gfs wives etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

I'm quite pale but have fairly good skin, I never wear much make-up to be honest but mascara is a must for me, I just love and a bit of lip gloss just makes me feel instantly better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"I think women look nicer without make-up" generally means "I think women look nicer with subtly applied, natural-looking make-up".

I don't wear much make-up - just eye make-up (and I avoid the spiders-leg eyelashes look) and men are definitely more attracted to me with it than without...

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Yep all the way, everyday(expect when I know I won't be leaving the house) I use foundation if my skin needs a boost or if the occasion requires me to look like a better version of my "normal"self. I wear mascara, powder, with reflecting shimmer powder applied over it, eyeshadow or eyeliner, red lipstick and I always have my nails painted. I use kohl either on my inner upper eyelid to make my eyes deeper or on the lower eyelid to make them more intens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I'd wear a tinted moisturiser to work with a bit of powder to blot the shine and love a bit of blush to add colour. I'm a lip balm/gloss addict and wouldn't leave the house without a bit of mascara. I like the natural look so try to keep it like that unless I'm going out.

I never do fake tan or go for a darker foundation. If I'm going out I either go with extreme eyes and a bit of gloss on the lips, or a natural eye look and some super lip stick. :)

TBH I don't think my OH gives a sh.t either way. Men...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Janicus

I find that my skin type is so strange that I can never get a foundation to look right so I don't bother with it, I mostly wear eye makeup and lippy!

I never wear fake tan I hate the way it feels and smells and well yes how it looks.

I've become a bit of a make up addict lately and I stopped biting my nails back in April so I am now a Nail polish addict also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

honestly I might wear foundation more if I found something extremely light and ok for my skin

Advertisement