Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies....make up or not to make up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I've just had a week of no eye make up as I had my eyes LASIKed last week. Longest I've ever gone without it since I was about 15. It's been so tough, I am so excited that I've been given the all-clear to wear it from tomorrow. I felt horrible without it. Of course the very heavily bloodshot eyes didn't help either...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

From a guys point of view:

I prefer my girlfriend when she has no make-up on. Don't get me wrong, she can still bowl me over backwards when she gets done up for a night out, absolutely stunning. However, those days when we are lounging on the couch in trackies, hair a mess and no make-up is when I think she is at her most beautiful, because that's her, nothing added, just her.

Now had she been like the 24/7 when we first met, and I didn't know her as well as I do now, I might not have found her so attractive like that. But I would imagine that's a similar feeling that girls would have over their boyfriends.

I think a bit, but not too much make-up is best. I'm not going to lie, I do love my air-brushed, make-up covered, blondes but when you see a genuinely good looking girl, not done up to the nines I go weak at the knees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Pythia wrote: »
    I've just had a week of no eye make up as I had my eyes LASIKed last week. Longest I've ever gone without it since I was about 15. It's been so tough, I am so excited that I've been given the all-clear to wear it from tomorrow. I felt horrible without it. Of course the very heavily bloodshot eyes didn't help either...

Really!!!well done!! It's worth no make up for a week believe me!!where did you have it done?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Really!!!well done!! It's worth no make up for a week believe me!!where did you have it done?:)

Ultralase Dundrum. So pleased with the results! I wouldn't have minded no make up so much if I didn't have huge blobs of red where the white of my eyes used to be. And walking around with sunglasses indoors in winter just gets you strange looks it turns out...!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Pythia wrote: »
    Ultralase Dundrum. So pleased with the results! I wouldn't have minded no make up so much if I didn't have huge blobs of red where the white of my eyes used to be. And walking around with sunglasses indoors in winter just gets you strange looks it turns out...!

You should have put in fake fangs just to freak out people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm a wierd girl, I don't really like make up.

I have worn make up since my teens, I never had good skin, always blotchy and dry and if I overcompensate with the moisturiser I get spots still!!

I don't really like foundation, I don't like how it feels on my face, there is nothing nicer than the feeling of taking it off after a day/night out. Some days I can get away with just a bit of concealer and powder.

I have dark hair, eyebrows, eyelashes. So I don't wear mascara - except for the odd night out. Even then it's a layer of clear mascara with black/brown mascara at the tips. I hate the caked on mascara look. I will usually put on a wee bit of eye makeup when I'm putting on mascara as well.

I rarely wear lipstick - I religiously wear vaseline on my lips, I have the little pocket packs everywhere, in either rose tint or sunblock.

I don't own blusher!!

My OH hates me with make up, he much prefers the natural look, he said it's what attracted me to him in the first place!!
    I got make up professionally done a few times for weddings etc - he hated it, it was perfectly done, not over the top at all but he still hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

My skin isnt the greatest but I don't wear make-up most of the time - part of it is because I'm so pale it's very hard to get a foundation that's light enough for me. I definitely think I look better with a little make-up, but I do generally reserve it for nights out/special occasions - the thing is when you wear make-up all the time, esp if it's heavy make-up, if someone sees you without it they can get a bit of a fright - this has defo been the case with some friends of mine, esp those who wear heavy eye-make-up on a daily basis. However, if you just wear it occasionally, no one really notices when you don't wear it (that's how you normally look) and when you do wear it (depending on what you do!) generally it's a positive - it subtly improves your look and you get some lovely compliments!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

I wear make up everyday, that would include foundation, bronzer, blush, mascara and sometimes eyeliner. I dont go over the top with any of them but I do wear them all, still at the same time I wouldnt be afraid to leave the house with none of it on..
    Im really pale with no makeup and it wouldnt bother me I just wouldnt be as confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A natural look is better with a hint of make up or with primer and concealer or just very little make up is nice. Piling on the make up is ok for special occasions like weddings or a night out but for day wear either light amount of make up, a hint of it or the natural look is nicer for every day day wear. If wearing make up a lot I often take a few days or a day's break in between to let my skin breath. Make up is ok to hide the odd flaw but otherwise there is no need for it if you have good skin complexion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭PeefsPixie

I couldnt go without makeup... Iv had mild acne for almost 4 years, im 21 now and even though my skin really isnt very bad Im scared of people thinking I look horrible. I was with my last boyfriend for 8 months and including all the times i stayed at his house he never once saw me without makeup. I keep it quite natural but I still wouldnt be caught dead without it. Maybe one day... Hopefully =)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't bother wearing make-up to work - too lazy to get up on time. But I moisturise, put on lip balm and do my hair.

I always wear make-up going out - a bit of blusher, a hint of lip colour (full lipstick doesn't suit me IMO) and eye make-up is my main thing. I don't wear foundation as I'm lucky to have pale skin that suits me to the point that any darkening of it looks wrong. Fake tan on me = lulz aplenty. :pac:
    You can get foundations for pale skin all right and I have one handy if I think I look a bit too tired for a work meeting or whatever, but I rarely use it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with part of the appeal of make-up being to attract the opposite sex. Sometimes I get the feeling it's viewed as borderline criminal. :pac:

I have alopecia and wear wigs, handy elimination of the old bad hair days! Used to have to wash my hair every day before leaving the house. Make up though, I only wear on a night out, and even then, if it's just the local, or a few in town with my fella, don't bother. I'm a compulsive picker, scratcher and rubber of my eyes, face, arms, shoulders etc. so it's normally best to just not wear any make up, at all. I moisturise after a shower, that's my entire skin care regime!

I'm pretty lucky, despite the picking and scratching, my skin is usually pretty clear. Would be totally clear if I didn't do those things.

My mother never wore make up either, still doesn't. I don't have any sisters, so I guess make up never came to my attention much, even as a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I wear makeup every day if Im at work/going to the pub/have people coming over etc.
    The only time I dont wear it is if Im just chilling at home with my boyfriend or my best friends. I feel better with a bit of makeup on-but to be honest most people wouldnt really notice that Im wearing it.
    Day to day is just a light bit of foundation, touch of blusher and mascara. Maybe a bit of eyeliner. I dont have a very even skin tone, even though my skin is pretty blemish free, which is why I feel the need to wear it every day.
    A night out would be proper foundation coverage, blush, lipgloss, eyeshadow, liquid liner and tonnes of mascara-I wouldnt look caked, but its that lil extra something that makes you feel more confident/dressed up that the day to day you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I'm a makeup artist so I tend to wear a lot of quite dramatic makeup on my days off, working freelance or on weekends. When I work during the week as a beauty therapist, I wear bronzer to emphasise my cheek bones, mascara and a lipstick.

It depends on the occasion lol and what Im trying to portray. I'm lucky in that I was blessed with really great skin, and I take care of it so I don't NEED makeup to conceal, and I know it sounds bad but in my job it's good to be somewhat natural as clients will comment on my porcelain skin and it's quite easy to be sly and be like "well I use IPL quite a bit, it's fantastic" ect, and they'll often book it.

Working as a makeup artist it's different. You need to look the part. Made up and made up properly.

That makes me sound so manipulative :/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have never in my life owned one piece of make-up. :o My skin isn't brilliant (not acne but blackheads) but it would probably get worse with all of that crap caked on the top of it.

I'm the kind of person that would prefer the extra 5 mins in bed and would prefer to spend the extra €'s on a CD or something...

I do have a weird obsession with my eyebrows. They are arched to within an inch of their life but are still thick.

I'm a lot more aware of them and ensure they're perfect than I would be of my skin. I tint them at least once a
    week and then darken them and set them every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I went through a phase when I was 15-16 and wore way too much make up but now I wear none at all.
    I only wear it now on a night out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Like some have said, only wear it on a night out and even then it wouldn't be very much - little bit of foundation, eye liner, mascara and that's about it. Never wear it during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I'm lucky in that I was blessed with really great skin, and I take care of it so I don't NEED makeup to conceal, and I know it sounds bad but in my job it's good to be somewhat natural as clients will comment on my porcelain skin and it's quite easy to be sly and be like "well I use IPL quite a bit, it's fantastic" ect, and they'll often book it.

That makes me sound so manipulative :/

Yes that does sound manipulative.

I know. But I do have targets to meet at work and if I'm not meeting them, Im in the office answering why. The IPL is actually excellent and does help improve complexion but I do feel bad it's not true how I got my skin the way it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I love make up. I don't think I wear 'too much' though. In fact, myself and a friend of mine were getting ready for a night out last weekend and she said that it's funny that I own so much make up but always look really natural.

I tend to just wear make up to accentuate what I have, as opposed to changing anything. I don't wear fake tan so my skin tone is my own. I only ever wear neutral colours on my eyes. Oh, I wear lipstick sometimes but that's about the only stand out-ish thing I'd ever have on.

I don't really know what my previous bf's preferred - me with make up or without. I don't look drastically different without tbh, just sort of slightly less groomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I wear makeup daily. Nothing too heavy. I use foundation to even out my skin as I'm quite fair, and any redness/dark circles/blemishes/blotches really stick out. I don't use it to make myself look more tanned. Likewise I have blonde eyelashes and eyebrows so I wear mascara and use eyebrow powder to give my brows some actual shape and definition. I use primer to keep foundation in place and powder to set and absorb grease.

Those would be the basics- depending on my mood I'll mix things up with eyeliner and shadows and lipsticks. Takes about 10 minutes every morning. I used to hate putting on makeup every morning but now I find it oddly relaxing.

I had to ditch eye makeup for 2 weeks, and all makeup for several days when I got laser eye surgery and it was interesting to see my co-worker's reactions. Mostly they said they'd never noticed me wearing makeup before, but without it I looked much younger- I was surprised, I always thought that without makeup I'd look slightly older but it seems the opposite is the case!

I've no plans to ditch it altogether but it's mostly a part of my daily routine. On weekends I usually won't bother putting it on until I'm heading out, likewise I never wear it for exercising.

I'm single so I can't comment as to whether guys prefer me with makeup or not, but back in college when I didn't put any makeup on unless I was heading out, my then boyfriend admitted he would like me to wear it more often as it made me look "softer"... to this day I still don't know what exactly he meant by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I work in a pretty male dominated area (engineering) and can come home from site stinking of diesel and covered in grease, but i still like to put a little bit of foundation, concealer and mascara on. Paired with the steel cap boots, high viz vest etc. it reminds me that I can still be a little bit girly :D I have invested in waterproof mascara though, getting sprayed with water quite regularly is not worth the risk of having panda eyes!

I work from home when not on client's sites, and tend to just cleanse and moisturise, and mascara. However, if i am having a bit of a 'down' day and need a perk up, i will still do my hair and makeup to sit in my office to make myself feel good. Poor FedEx men must think i am trying to hit on them :D

For me, it is a lot about confidence. I lack it in my looks (scared to post a pic on the forum for it, partly for looks, partly in case someone recognises me). I always had/have red cheeks and very self conscious of them. I like to even out skin tone, and recently invested in green base, and specific foundation (Clinique Redness solutions - i LOVE it!) to even things. I always want to look like Flossie though, just a little better!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I have to admit, make up scares me a bit. I don't wear it on a day to day basis but would wear it if going out or going to a wedding or something. However I HATE shopping for it. I go in looking for foundation or whatever and there's so many different types and brands and shades, I normally freak out and end up coming out with nothing. Not to mention that it looks completely different in the shop than when you are outside. A lot of make up isn't cheap either so one or two mistakes add up!

I'm also not a fan of fake tan. I've never done it myself but got one done for my brother's wedding a few years ago when a relative asked me if I'd done it myself... I vowed then and there NEVER to wear fake tan again.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Cottontail wrote: »
    I have to admit, make up scares me a bit. I don't wear it on a day to day basis but would wear it if going out or going to a wedding or something. However I HATE shopping for it. I go in looking for foundation or whatever and there's so many different types and brands and shades, I normally freak out and end up coming out with nothing. Not to mention that it looks completely different in the shop than when you are outside. A lot of make up isn't cheap either so one or two mistakes add up!

I'm also not a fan of fake tan. I've never done it myself but got one done for my brother's wedding a few years ago when a relative asked me if I'd done it myself... I vowed then and there NEVER to wear fake tan again.

Cottontail, I was the same. What i tend to do is to go into a department store with a face free of all make up, and ask for recommendations. I always specify i want something natural looking (and have even told a worker i didn't want to look ad made up as she was), easy to apply, long lasting etc. I get them to explain how they are applying it and always ask for a sample of about a weeks worth to take home and try.

Good ones i have found so far are a Bobbi Brown one, and my current Clinique Redness Solutions one (set with RS powder). Don't be afraid to ask for samples - after all you are going to invest money in the product if it works. Also, feel free to go and get various samples form the same store. What works for one really doesn't work for the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't wear foundation as I'm lucky to have pale skin that suits me to the point that any darkening of it looks wrong.

But foundation is supposed to match your skin colour, not darken it. :confused: I've seen alabaster and porcelain foundation out there. You can't get much paler than that!

This thread got me thinking about physical appearance in general and I was wondering if ye would mind me asking a random question? Sorry to post this here but I havent been joined long and would like to start a thread about height and what importance it has when finding someone attractive... Might sound weird but Im a tall girl and Ive known very short guys and was interested in other guys and girls opinions ^_^ So I was wondering, what forum would I start a thread like that in??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

PeefsPixie wrote: »
    This thread got me thinking about physical appearance in general and I was wondering if ye would mind me asking a random question? Sorry to post this here but I havent been joined long and would like to start a thread about height and what importance it has when finding someone attractive... Might sound weird but Im a tall girl and Ive known very short guys and was interested in other guys and girls opinions ^_^ So I was wondering, what forum would I start a thread like that in??

There's already a thread here in tLL about tall girls, you might want to check it out!

Thanks ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I do wear make-up most days but really not much and just because it does make me look better and it has spf which protects my skin. I can easily feel fine without it though too although when I dont have it people are more likely to tell me I look sick! I think it's very natural though, I'm pale and I remain like that with make-up on, hate fake tan etc.

Advertisement