Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies....make up or not to make up?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

mars bar wrote: »
    I have never in my life owned one piece of make-up. :o My skin isn't brilliant (not acne but blackheads) but it would probably get worse with all of that crap caked on the top of it.

It's a bit much to label all make-up as "crap" when you've admitted to never even owning any. Most make-up these days is oil-free, has moisturiser, SPF, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I always think it's odd that someone would tailor their appearance to what they think others want to see. Wear what YOU like.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I'm a guy and I must say, having inperfect skin, with a tad or no make-up is nicer than imperfect skin with a cover-up job.

Make-up is nasty, most of the time mainly because Irish women pile it on. Every girls obsession with looking more tanned is embarrassing. The worst is when you can see the make-up stopping at the jawline.

I'm a really observant person. I really do believe that Irish women put the most make-up their face ever. Also, beautician or trained make-up people, yeah just because you're skilled in applying it, doesn't mean you have to have cake-faces all the time.

The trick is subtlty. Make-up is only supposed to compliment your face, it's not there to cover-up. A lot of girls seem to think that they do this great job making their face but a majority of guys don't like it. It's nice on the eyes, bit of eyeliner.. bit of lipstick.

Keep it subtle girs.

Don't get me started on fake tan! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I do have a weird obsession with my eyebrows. They are arched to within an inch of their life but are still thick.

I'm a lot more aware of them and ensure they're perfect than I would be of my skin. I tint them at least once a
    week and then darken them and set them every morning.

Thick eyebrows are nice on women.

JenniferConnelly1-300.jpg?1316655821

mango-penelope-cruz-ad-campaign-200409-10.jpg

I suppose it's down to personal taste. I think trimmed, skinny brows look awful. I know a girl who over plucks them She's bleached hair and white skin so you can barely see them. Shee looks she has none, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

K
    Make-up is nasty, most of the time mainly because Irish women pile it on. Every girls obsession with looking more tanned is embarrassing. The worst is when you can see the make-up stopping at the jawline.

I'm a really observant person. I really do believe that Irish women put the most make-up their face ever.
    That's quite a generalisation there Mensch. Not EVERY Irish girl wears makeup, and certainly not to the excess you've described. Maybe in the social circles you mix the girls cake themselves, but if you take this thread as any indication, then most Irish girls wear very little. Not every girl wears fake tan either, its mostly reserved for nights out for the average Irish girl, I would even say that the majority of us don't use it more than a handful of times a year, if at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Make-up is nasty

I think it's nasty if it's over-applied or mis-applied, which is often the case in Ireland, both a cultural and educational thing.

I never really wore a lot of makeup, but had bad skin for most of my teenage years through to my early 20s, so foundation and concealer was pretty much a necessity. Looking back, I'd just grab the latest foundation I'd read about in a magazine or grab the one a friend had without any accounting for skin type or tone - that's always going to be a gamble and the odds are stacked against you in terms of getting it right.

For the past few years I've become more aware of what type of chemicals and ingredients my skin reacts well to, stick to a lot of the same products and will have regular consultations and try stuff out in-store before buying something new. I did a full consultation in NY a few months back and bought what will probably be my makeup for the year - because I was confident that all those products were right for me and don't have me looking like a clown. I vary foundation numbers too as my skin changes drastically from summer to winter - I know girls who use the same the year round, hence achieving a distinctly orange tone during their 'paler' months.

Makeup is about confidence to me really, taking pride in my appearance. I want to go to work feeling good about myself, looking people in the face and not being insecure about my appearance. I want to look professional and that's a whole package really - clothes, hair, makeup. For night it's a bit more dramatic and on days off it's a little less, but gym and supermarket-dashes aside, I rarely leave the house without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

beks101 wrote: »
    I know girls who use the same the year round, hence achieving a distinctly orange tone during their 'paler' months.

I use the palest any time of year

My skin seems to react badly to all types of makeup though
    bobbi brown matte is the lightest i've had, but my skin will still be a bit unhappy the next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I always wear make-up going out- it makes me feel kinda self conscious if I don't- although I only wear a bit of concealer, mascara and eyeliner for normal days, and a bit more for nights out. By boyfriend only really complains about makeup when I go to take it off and he just wants us to go to bed already lol.

These threads have habit of descending into a bit of an "us" versus "them" scenario, sadly.

For what it's worth, I have yet to meet a woman who doesn't look better with *some* make-up on than totally bare-faced. However, loads of women out there also wear far too much and age themselves by 8 to 10 years in the process. Fake tan is a whole other topic, imo, but, like make-up, if it's done right, it looks great, but it's so easy to get it wrong.

And, to all the men who profess to prefer the whole bare-faced chic look, I can pretty much guarantee you that the women you think look best are wearing some kind of product. They've just perfected the "no make-up make-up" look. Which takes a hell of a lot longer to master than the trowelled-on version.

Personally, for me, make-up is part of the whole grooming package. My daily work face is foundation, mascara, blusher and lip gloss. On a night out, I'd do the works - full-on eyes, eyeliner etc. I like to have a distinction between my day and nighttime look. And if I'm not going anywhere (like today), I don't bother with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I do like my lipstick but as I am currently at home with my youngest I do not see much need for it - I do not understand foundation at al l:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Thick eyebrows are nice on women.

You know both of the sets of eyebrows you have there are shaped (plucked/threaded/what have you) & also more than likely filled in with make up? They may be thick but they're by no means 'natural' shaped brows (not that there's anything wrong with that, they look mega)

I don't normally wear makeup to work because I can't drag myself out of bed in time in the morning, but I'm planning on changing that starting from this week. I love makeup, I am especially obsessed with nails but I also love doing my eyes & wearing really vivid lipstick. I think it looks great. I alternate between natural/barely there looks & 40s/50s looks. Lots of trial & error means I know what suits me & works with my features & what doesn't.

Each to their own with what they do & don't want to wear on their faces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I'm very self conscious about my skin so I wear foundation, concealer and mascara every day. I had acne until well into my thirties and still get spots occasionally so I hate being seen without make-up and feel a little ashamed if I nip to the shop like that and meet someone I know. I'd love to have nice skin and not feel this way :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Hollypink - have you considered just using a tinted moisturiser? A lot of the time a lot of makeup can make breakouts worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Hollypink - have you considered just using a tinted moisturiser? A lot of the time a lot of makeup can make breakouts worse.

I have worn it occasionally but I prefer a bit more coverage. I use Lancome Tient Idole silky mat which is quite light and supposedly breathable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

I do like a bit of makeup when I go out and a light bronzer it makes me look a bit healthy and not so grey looking :) If I pop to the local shops I just put on a bit of concealer and lippy a little bit of make up is fine as long as it not troweled on like those WAG's and TOWIE girls everything fake:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

hollypink wrote: »
    I'm very self conscious about my skin so I wear foundation, concealer and mascara every day. I had acne until well into my thirties and still get spots occasionally so I hate being seen without make-up and feel a little ashamed if I nip to the shop like that and meet someone I know. I'd love to have nice skin and not feel this way :(

It's amazing what years of bad skin can do to your brain.

I had acne from 17 until last year, 25, when I finally got fed up and did a course of Roaccutane that knocked it on the head. I still get the odd break-out though, and every single time I go into freak-out mode and revert back to that fearful dread and preoccupation with my skin that I had during the bad years. It's funny because if I venture outside the house with no makeup during those days I'll find myself in a state of complete insecurity and paranoia and then I'll get back and see myself in the mirror and realise...I look grand!

It's really a state of mind and I think for you as well as many others, it's ten times worse in your head than it looks to the outside world. Spots or no spots, there's nothing remotely shameful about going makeup-less and allowing your skin to breathe - I think it's essential to your skin's health. I've worked for years in different TV stations and seen up-close some big presenters and personalities who would wear heavy makeup all day every day as part of their jobs - and for a lot of them, without their makeup their skin looks grey, dull and tired, it's not a good look.

I think taking days off and letting your bare face get some fresh air is a really important part of a good skincare regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

liah wrote: »
    all you have to do is check tLL's picture thread (last few pages) and compare thanks ratios to know that's not true. Men like the fake blonde hair and super-tan more than they'd like to admit

Not necessarily the best barometer:

Think about the kind of guys who might troll the LL pics thread late on lonely nights, rabidly thanking bottle-blonde posts. Now think about the kind of guys whose opinion you would actually respect. Probably not the same, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Could wearing foundation day in, day out cause bad skin? Seems like a bit of a vicious circle to get into...wear make up all the time to cover up something the make up might be causing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

My skin has always been more or less the same regardless of whether I wear foundation or not (and I have gone long periods without it).

It all depends on your skin type I guess, but with all the choices available these days I think the odds are pretty decent of finding something that won't cause breakouts or bad skin.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Could wearing foundation day in, day out cause bad skin? Seems like a bit of a vicious circle to get into...wear make up all the time to cover up something the make up might be causing....

Not really, if you're wearing a non-comedogenic one and you're taking it off every evening.

People seem to have this idea that putting foundation on is like applying some kind of impermeable barrier to your skin. I'm not saying certain ingredients don't trigger reactions in certain people, but make up does not automatically cause bad skin. Nor does it not allow your skin to "breathe".

I've been wearing make up 5-7 days a week since I was 15 (I'm 29 now) and I get about three spots a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Eve_Dublin wrote: »

Yes - of course it depends on the coverage/ingrediants but a lot of the time it can make it worse. The more you cake on the worse it tends to make it. Also if you're applying the makeup with a sponge or a brush, over anything that looks like it's infected, it's a good idea not to use it again as it can spread.

Makeup can also clog up pores, and unless you're cleansing and toning, it will cause a build up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I get dermabrasion facials periodically but I would only wear make-up once every two weeks or so; one of the first times I went the nurse said that there was more dirt and grime build up on my face because I don't wear anything and so there's no 'mask' to protect it.

I think it really does depend on your skin type.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Don't forget to clean your brushes regularly and wash your hands before applying make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

Wish I knew more about make-up - I could use a bit more of a polished appearance. I rarely wear anything - might have a lip gloss floating around somewhere. I glanced at the makeup counter of a department store, way too many choices. Miss Choc ^^^ spoke of a light bronzer - that sounds like a good place to start ??? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

g'em wrote: »
    I get dermabrasion facials periodically but I would only wear make-up once every two weeks or so; one of the first times I went the nurse said that there was more dirt and grime build up on my face because I don't wear anything and so there's no 'mask' to protect it.

I think it really does depend on your skin type.

God that's actually really interesting - I never thought that a skin-care professional would actually recommend makeup! (sort of!)

I wear make-up every day, very much the bare minimum though. When I'm going to work, I'd wear primer, natural foundation, concealer when necessary, small bit of bronzer, eyeliner and lip gloss. It takes me literally 2-3 minutes to slap it on, wouldn't bother with it if it took longer. I never bother topping it up during the day if I'm just at work.

I'd wear a wee bit more on nights out, but I don't overdo it. I have zillions of freckles, as do loads of my cousins. They all slather themselves in foundation and fake tan, to cover them up. I don't see the point! I mean, freckles are always going to be there, you can't change that! Why bother trying to hide them? :confused: Makes no sense. I just use a very light foundation, to sort of even up my skin tone. Never fake tan.

To be honest it wouldn't bother me a bit if someone I knew saw me without makeup, because I don't look all that different anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I usually just wear a little bit of mascara and some blush... but sometimes, like today, I decide against make-up altogether :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I much prefer to see a woman with no makeup on I think it looks more natural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I much prefer to see a woman with no makeup on I think it looks more natural

Men say that, but what they REALLY mean is that they like the natural make-up look :P No makeup whatsoever is a completely different ball game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 simmona

There are no ugly women but lazy ones. You know Tamang Phan? Make-up queen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

simmona wrote: »
    There are no ugly women but lazy ones. You know Tamang Phan? Make-up queen!

I had never heard of her until your post, but googled her and have to say that I think this is the best "natural" makeup look I've ever seen. It really does look natural, although I can kinda see her eyeshadow a little bit.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qTP4H7rcivw/TW9t0Xtp1KI/AAAAAAAAAcg/VJKMQ7u65no/s1600/Promise2.jpg

I don't wear makeup myself unless I'm going out to a nightclub/late night pub which is fairly rare. Occasionally I might put some on for just an average day if I'm in the mood to play around with it, but it wouldn't be that often.

Advertisement