Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Forum: Feedback.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

This thread is timely as I think there has been a feeling of resentment building for a while and I am not speaking personally.

As for me, I recently gave the Forum a break and I have to say I didn't miss certain elements one bit.....

Lock 'n load versus popular interest.

I find it bizarre that threads are locked for no reason at all sometimes. For one particular Person to arrive on the scene and lock something for no other reason than they personally don't see the merit or disagree with it is not reasonable or beneficial in any sense - its needless meddling and its a negative thing.

The way an Internet Bulletin Board works is that the useless, uninteresting and uninspired stuff gets ignored and drops off the scene (ie. downwards and off the main page) because People dismiss it - its a natural order type of 'message board gravity' with no intervention required.

- Related to this point is the automatic locking of threads that are bumped from some time ago - this is poor practice in my opinion as sometimes older discussions of the same topic provides necessary insight and context, if its a judgement call why not wait and see and let the above rule apply - if its a nonsensical revival then by all means nuke it to minismise clutter.

Finally I've always admired and respected any Mod who can lock a thread, for example in the case of an uncertain legal standpoint and say its because they are unsure and have to seek a second opinion etc. This is infinitely preferable to just locking it and running away while muttering some spurious reason etc.

Heavy-handed Absolutist Modding

I've always thougt that the Limerick City Forum has been run in a way almost completely different to the rest of Boards.ie - Its like a Site within a Site and its not healthy.

I can also remember when Billy was an active and valuable contributor on here - If I was to venture an opinion I'd put good money on a guess that he has long since lost interest and simply wants his Moderator status on here on his CV or for job interviews once his Journalism Degree has been inked.

It is also my opinion that he performs his Mod duties around here like a chore and its obvious. I've come to decide that he puts the Bin out, scrapes the cat litter box, and then sighs and has a cursory glance over the latest threads to hand out a few infractions before returning 24 hours later in no better mood.

I think People have had enough and have been nice enough to let him know - He's gone beyond the point where leaving with dignity is an option - I'd say he's been pushed ever before he realised he could have jumped.

P.S - I forgot to mention that if People are looking for concise, cold, clinical, personality-free, just the bare facts information Billy then they always have the Golden Pages, you really need to review your opinions on what constitutes an Internet Bulletin Board........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Raiser needs/deserves his own sticky thread for his ramblings... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

And for Billy or IO to ban him unless his posts a real photo of himself :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Raiser, I said specifically not to turn this thread into a witch-hunt. I appreciate the feedback, but to be honest I can't take anyone seriously if they have to resort to the phrase "sieg heil modding". I'm particularly disappointed with the way you've written your post. A character assassination of a moderator does not count as valid forum-feedback.

As for the comments about thread-locking:

There was a thread here on the forum last year about the over-use of the "lock" function. It spilled over onto another major thread in the Feedback Forum and a separate thread in Help Desk. I contributed to all of them, before I started moderating this forum. Changes were made, and the situation has greatly improved. I would have agreed with you whole-heartedly about that issue last year, but I really don't feel it's a problem any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Raiser, I said specifically not to turn this thread into a witch-hunt. I appreciate the feedback, but to be honest I can't take anyone seriously if they have to resort to the phrase "sieg heil modding". I'm particularly disappointed with the way you've written your post. A character assassination of a moderator does not count as valid forum-feedback.

As for the comments about thread-locking:

There was a thread here on the forum last year about the over-use of the "lock" function. It spilled over onto another major thread in the Feedback Forum and a separate thread in Help Desk. I contributed to all of them, before I started moderating this forum. Changes were made, and the situation has greatly improved. I would have agreed with you whole-heartedly about that issue last year, but I really don't feel it's a problem any more.

I think he is refering to the Catherine place thread but I could be wrong

• Advertisement

Insect O my post was just some of the feedback you asked for - your own interpretation will be subjective and your course of action is entirely optional but please do appreciate that the exercise will be self-defeating if you cannot or simply just choose not to accept valid and constructive critisism.

While I don't in any way strive for your approval of my turn of phrase I am happy to edit out that title if it will serve to tone down your feigned shock and hyperbole. There was no 'character assassination' - I simply stated that Billy had lost interest and that it was obvious. As for the Sieg Heil joke it was a casual turn of phrase - Say when you hear someone describe so and so as a 'right Dictator' do you immediately look on with a dropped jaw and wonder how they came to absolutely run their own State and beaten down People with an iron fist?????

Anyhow if you read back, it was also not aimed solely at Billy, to be honest it surprised me that you didn't take the opportunity to make your own path from day one instead of following the Lemming tracks towards the Cliff Face......

If I could take this opportunity to be 'particularly disappointed' then I'd have to go with the chosen tack of ignoring the Elephant in the room in favour of some nonsense exercise in diplomatic cronyism.

I also reject the assertion that I turned this into a witchhunt - I just stated my point of view, I am not responsible for the fact that it was preceded by a lot of similar sentiment, dont shoot the messenger when the message doesn't suit your agenda.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Meh. :rolleyes:

Lisbon treaty effect.

Keep asking the people until you get the answer you want to hear.

Keep Rule #7 and continue to be excellent. :D

*tongue in cheek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Raiser wrote: »
    I also reject the assertion that I turned this into a witchhunt

+1 to this - a witchhunt implies a lot of people working together to do somebody over.

A lot of people independantly having the same opinion is a much different thing.

Mods of forums need to be active in those forums,contributing,taking part in threads,making silly comments,etc.Take the motors forum for example,all the mods contribute there and because they do they realise when the regular posters are having a bit of banter and this all leads to a very active forum where everyone is very helpful.Of course when someone is being a nuisance they are usually weeded out swiftly.

kilburn wrote: »
    I think he is refering to the Catherine place thread but I could be wrong

I wasn't thinking of any specifics when I posted that - But its a great example now that you mention it.

- I'd appreciate it if a Mod or CMod could please correct this odd decision and unlock etc.
    Raiser needs/deserves his own sticky thread for his ramblings... :)

I don't know about that..... Can you imagine the Newspaper headlines?

RAISER GETS STICKY

- Anyway there'd be copyright issues with my DVD of the same name :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ask and ye shall receive: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055150681

A PM to me at the time would probably have had similar results. Bumping a three-year-old thread wasn't the best way to ring in the new year though...

Ask and ye shall receive: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055150681

A PM to me at the time would probably have had similar results. Bumping a three-year-old thread wasn't the best way to ring in the new year though...

Thanks for that and to be honest I hadn't the time or patience to go chasing this by PM at the time - the point I'd make is that the very fact that it was 3+ years old was the reason it was bumped - ie. to show that Limerick city Council cannot or will not act in the interests of Public safety even significantly outside of a 3 year timeframe.

The context in this instance was because someone else was hoping to have another issue seen to by the same bureaucratic Idiot Brigade.

- Can you imagine the situation if some poor Child did have a lethal/crippling fall there any time from now????

For the record I rang them personally at the time to report this and gave all relevant details in full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Raiser wrote: »
    - Related to this point is the automatic locking of threads that are bumped from some time ago - this is poor practice in my opinion as sometimes older discussions of the same topic provides necessary insight and context, if its a judgement call why not wait and see and let the above rule apply - if its a nonsensical revival then by all means nuke it to minismise clutter.

I thoroughly agree with this point. If a thread is still relevant, even if it's being revived from three years ago, let it live is what I say.

Could the moderators explain the logic behind this policy of locking dormant but revived threads?

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Could the moderators explain the logic behind this policy of locking dormant but revived threads?

The usual reasons for that are as follows:
      The information posted previously is no longer accurate The OP's original question was answered long before the bump A new poster might quote a user who is no longer around to reply The thread may contain material that was appropriate when it was posted, but is now against site guidelines The thread has been bumped by a spammer looking for free advertising A newer, more up-to-date thread is already active

Most of the time it's a combination of these causes, and threads are usually closed for pretty good reasons. I'm always willing to discuss individual cases if people send a polite PM to enquire about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

I am a troll.

Seniorolaighin banned for a week for abusive behaviour and off-topic posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The usual reasons for that are as follows:
      The information posted previously is no longer accurate The OP's original question was answered long before the bump A new poster might quote a user who is no longer around to reply The thread may contain material that was appropriate when it was posted, but is now against site guidelines The thread has been bumped by a spammer looking for free advertising A newer, more up-to-date thread is already active

Most of the time it's a combination of these causes, and threads are usually closed for pretty good reasons. I'm always willing to discuss individual cases if people send a polite PM to enquire about it.

Lol

*sceptical eyebrow*

If it is this way going forward great. But there is no way that was applied in the past.

It used to be;

Old = lock

Jumpy wrote: »
    Lol

*sceptical eyebrow*

If it is this way going forward great. But there is no way that was applied in the past.

It used to be;

Old = lock

Yep - My feeling would also be that the time-stamp got a quick check and then bang, thread closed with a rubber stamp in a neat bureaucratic flourish.

- This point is not nit-picking as the whole "I can see you've posted in this thread for your own reasons but I'm not arséd" approach could prove very irritating at times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Be thankful for small mercies here, guys- reviving an old thread in the Cork City forum gets it locked and earns you a 7 day ban!

I understand that reviving zombie threads can be really annoying but then again it irritates me to se repetitive new posts popping up (especially about renting, perhaps a "Guide to renting in Limerick City" sticky could be considered?)

Be thankful for small mercies here, guys- reviving an old thread in the Cork City forum gets it locked and earns you a 7 day ban!

I understand that reviving zombie threads can be really annoying but then again it irritates me to se repetitive new posts popping up (especially about renting, perhaps a "Guide to renting in Limerick City" sticky could be considered?)

How about a thread of recommended services,stuff like hotels,mechanics,etc.Just like the restaurant thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Great idea guys, but even with the restaurant thread we still see people coming in asking about where they should go. Non regulars just ignore the stickys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That doesn't happen, surely, does it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

That doesn't happen, surely, does it?

Don't know, not a regular over there but according to this sticky it does...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055919850

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Don't know, not a regular over there but according to this sticky it does...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055919850

They'd want a Feedback thread as well, I'd say! Ridiculous.

Anyway, my own tuppence on topic is that the Regional fora have taken off in a big way (I used to mod a group of fora on Reg a while back), and as such have their own subset of regulars.

Thusly, a thought should be given to the group dynamic, and the threads allowed to flow.

Happily, most of the mods here on LC are doing that, unlike some other places.

They'd want a Feedback thread as well, I'd say! Ridiculous.

Anyway, my own tuppence on topic is that the Regional fora have taken off in a big way (I used to mod a group of fora on Reg a while back), and as such have their own subset of regulars.

Thusly, a thought should be given to the group dynamic, and the threads allowed to flow.

Happily, most of the mods here on LC are doing that, unlike some other places.

Fact !

Can we make the Need a Job thread a sticky considering 23000 people are unemployed here? Now that would be a good community service !

I'm going to lock this thread an un-sticky it for a few days while we work out what to do with the feedback thus far.

If anyone has anything else to add, post it here before midnight.

I might sticky another thread for a while until I re-open this one. :)

We'll be waiting at least a day or two before some technical stuff is worked out behind the scenes. After that, it'll probably be best to give us a week to sort out the finer details from this thread and see how much revision of the Charter will be needed. A forum announcement will be made as soon as we have things ready to go.

For any other queries in the mean time, feel free to send me a PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement