Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S Video Call: "unable to make video call"

Options
  • 02-01-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

Would anybody here know how to resolve this issue?

I don't know if I need internet access to make a video call but if I do, I've absolutely no problem using the internet for anything else from this Galaxy S. I'm on the Meteor network. I'm trying to make a video call to two people in the same house, each of whom has an iphone but is on a different network to me (if that makes any difference).

What do I need to do/change in order to make a video call?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Video call to iPhone? Can that be done without FaceTime?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

tbh wrote: »
    Video call to iPhone? Can that be done without FaceTime?

Ah. I hadn't heard of 'FaceTime' until an hour ago. I surmised - incorrectly, it appears - that I could 'video call' anybody else who had a 'video call' function on their phone, regardless of the brand name of that video call function. What do I need to install to allow me to video call any phone which has that function?

Thanks.

You should be able to video call any phone that supports video calls - the problem is that the iPhone doesn't, it's on the iPhone side, not your side. I'd be interested in an app that allowed video calls to an iPhone, but I don't know of one.

You should be able to video call any phone that supports video calls - the problem is that the iPhone doesn't, it's on the iPhone side, not your side. I'd be interested in an app that allowed video calls to an iPhone, but I don't know of one.

Excellent. Thanks for clearing that up. I'd be interested in a similar app. I've the phone about a month now but nobody I know has a phone that can accept a 'video call'.

Np. Any nokia 3G phone should allow video calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Most 3g phones now accept video calls, you can't call anyone on o2 or the mvno's but you should be able to video call everyone else.

Some phones might not have front facing cameras but you should be still able to see the view from their normal phone camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Most 3g phones now accept video calls, you can't call anyone on o2 or the mvno's but you should be able to video call everyone else.

Some phones might not have front facing cameras but you should be still able to see the view from their normal phone camera.

Just for my info - why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jamey_29

The latest Skype update on iphone allows video calls.

Just for my info - why not?

Because the o2 network doesn't support video calls, Tesco are on o2 so they can't support them either. Postfone and Justmobile have only Vodafone 2G access which isn't quick enough for Video calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jamesjoyce

Fring will allow video calls from iPhone to android device

• Advertisement

I'm now trying to call somebody who also has a Galaxy, albeit Galaxy II, but I still get that "unable to make video call" notification. We are both on Meteor.

So, how do we make a video call from one Galaxy phone to another where both people are on the Meteor network?

Thanks.

Have you Meteor 3G Signal when trying to make the call?

Have you Meteor 3G Signal when trying to make the call?

Yes, definitely. The green and red bars are going in the top right of the phone.

Dionysus wrote: »
    Yes, definitely. The green and red bars are going in the top right of the phone.

That's doesn't mean you have 3G signal, that's just showing you data is going up an down, it could be over, gprs/edge. Does it say 3G or H+ besides the signal bars.

That's doesn't mean you have 3G signal, that's just showing you data is going up an down, it could be over, gprs/edge. Does it say 3G or H+ besides the signal bars.

At present it alternates between H, when the bars are going up and down, and 3G, when the bars are not going up and down.

Edit: Actually, I just noticed the bars go up and down under H only when I send info, ie posting this.

So you do have 3G then, you should be able to make a video calls. Check it with them in the morning, it might require a data add on or something like that. I use it on 3 and it's just like a normal call. Meteor should be the same.

From meteor website "Video calling is available for Meteor's 3G subscribers who make calls in a 3G coverage area."

I don't know what they mean by 3G subscribers? Can you subscribe to 3G:confused:, Maybe they mean bill pay only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I'm now trying to call somebody who also has a Galaxy, albeit Galaxy II, but I still get that "unable to make video call" notification. We are both on Meteor.

So, how do we make a video call from one Galaxy phone to another where both people are on the Meteor network?

Thanks.

You both need to run the video call app. You cannot video call someone that is not running a video app. Also as people have said above the iphone facetime is a load of rubbish because it's apple only.

So, either both of you must use google talk (latest version with video), or both of you must use skype. Note only android devices with a recent-ish rom can use video chat, I think it's 2.3.4 onwards.

You don't need an app to make a video call, most phones do it like a normal call you hit the video call button instead of the call button. It's been like this as long as I've been making video calls. You have to have facetime on iphone, but every other phone does not require an app.

Like I said, android phones need a certain version of android, and a certain version of either google talk or skype (<- apps). After that it depends how you have contacts setup, skype contacts associated with google ones (as you say it should give video option from normal dialler then).

If you bought a recent android phone like a galaxy 2 or nexus s or other it probably has latest google chat right out of the box, so no setup needed. Older androids might need some upgrading.

Thanks guys.

OK, Meteor were of no use when I rang them for advice. My Galaxy is the I9000. It has a 'Talk' feature preinstalled on it, and this is linked to the email addresses in my gmail account. However, when I click on one of the names a screen comes up to write to them in, rather than a screen for making a call to them.

Where do I look to find if my Galaxy has a 2.3.4 or newer rom? I'm looking in 'About' in Settings and the 'Firmware version' is 2.2 while the 'Kernal Version' is 2.6.32.9. Are either of these relevant?

So, if both of us must use Google Talk, the latest version with video, I presumably don't have that particular Google Talk. Where can I download it, and should I expect to pay for it? I went into Market and there are several 'G-Talk' products. What is the name of the relevant one?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Like I said, android phones need a certain version of android, and a certain version of either google talk or skype (<- apps). After that it depends how you have contacts setup, skype contacts associated with google ones (as you say it should give video option from normal dialler then).

If you bought a recent android phone like a galaxy 2 or nexus s or other it probably has latest google chat right out of the box, so no setup needed. Older androids might need some upgrading.

you sound like you know what you're talking about, in fairness, and I'm really hazy, but I have to say - what you're saying there doesn't match my experience. I'm using the galaxy 2 and I can video call people based on their phone number, people who don't have google talk or skype accounts. Dio, if you want to, PM me your phone number, I can try a video call to you if you want.

Thanks guys.

OK, Meteor were of no use when I rang them for advice. My Galaxy is the I9000. It has a 'Talk' feature preinstalled on it, and this is linked to the email addresses in my gmail account. However, when I click on one of the names a screen comes up to write to them in, rather than a screen for making a call to them.

Where do I look to find if my Galaxy has a 2.3.4 or newer rom? I'm looking in 'About' in Settings and the 'Firmware version' is 2.2 while the 'Kernal Version' is 2.6.32.9. Are either of these relevant?

So, if both of us must use Google Talk, the latest version with video, I presumably don't have that particular Google Talk. Where can I download it, and should I expect to pay for it? I went into Market and there are several 'G-Talk' products. What is the name of the relevant one?

Thanks again.

You already have google chat, comes with phone. Your problem is you only have android 2.2. You need to upgrade to newer version, if auto-upgrade isn't working you gotta do it yourself. See other threads on modding galaxy phone.

srsly78 wrote: »
    You already have google chat, comes with phone. Your problem is you only have android 2.2. .

ah - I'm on 2.3

Advertisement