Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy league post grad.

Options
  • 02-01-2011 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

what are the odds of someone being accepted into postgrad in an ivyleauge school for postgrad with a 1st class honours degree from an NUI ???
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cha82

Hi Spindifidus,

Is it a research or taught course? If it's the former then I'm sure particular emphasis will be placed on your final year project and/or any research project you may have undertaken, especially anything you may have had published. I'm aware that having an article(s) published at undergrad level is rare but it does happen.

Is it a course for which work experience would be regarded as particularly beneficial? In this case, results alone may not be the major deciding factor.

Either way I reckon you stand a very, very good chance Spindifidus. I believe Irish Universities are generally pretty well regarded. My sister got accepted into a fairly prestigious post grad course in an ivy league college a few years ago with only a high 2.1 result at undergrad level.
    Best of luck to you. Whatever happens, a first class honours result in any discipline is a serious achievement. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jonesy93

It looks pretty good. IF it's from an NUI then and its frirst class then you might get into the likes of Johns Hopkins or Cornell. My auntie was accepted to Vanderbilt ( I know it's not a ivy llege but it's as good as one)
    and she only had a 2.1 or something like that , i think she was accepted into some other school like brown or uni of penn but chose vanderbilt cos she has friends living in tenessee .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 spindifidus

It's a law degree, I'm hoping to get a phd in law.

My sister got accepted into a fairly prestigious post grad course in an ivy league college a few years ago with only a high 2.1 result at undergrad level.

What college did she get into ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cha82

Hi again,

She got into Brown. Her undergrad was in Trinity, not sure if that carried/carries anymore weight than a qualification from an NUI though.

Haha :) This opens up the old argument again... Even still I think that a 2:1 from trinity would be better than a 1st from DCU or UL, perhaps even an NUI. But that's a different matter. Thanks very much, I really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

As I said in a similar thread don't just apply for a post grad just because it's an Ivy League School. There's plenty of universities in the United States as good or better than any of the Ivy Leagues eg Chicago, Chapel Hill, Georgetown, MIT, Caltech, UCLA, Berkeley, Washington, John Hopkins etc etc. Research which college has the law department that would suite you most etc, what lecturers they have working there, living costs (living in Boston or New York can be very expensive) etc.

Some American universitites love getting foreign students in so a NUI degree may make you stand out significantly :).

Isn't johns hopkins an ivy league school ???
    I wasn't just talking about ivy leauge universities, I should have clarified. I'm considering vanderbilt, rice, northwestern, amherst, univerdity of virginia , university of texas austin, stanford etc..
    They'd probably end up being cheaper then living on the eastern sea-board/new-england area...

Advertisement