Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underclocking AMD Phenom II Black Edition

Options
  • 02-01-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have a AMD Phenom II X2 555 B.E.
    Pump went on liquid cooling system and I am going to put original air cooler back on cpu for the time being. CPU was overclocked from 3.2GHz to 3.6GHz (not by myself).

Firstly, do I need to underclock it while the standard AMD heat sink is on it? (Would temps be too high)
    Secondly, what exactly do I need to do to underclock?

I have gone messing around in the BIOS menu and seen most of the options so I am vaguely familiar with whats going on. I know I need to alter the voltages to the cpu. There is something about cpu ratio as well I think.

The problem is I can't turn computer on till I actually put standard cooler on so I can't look at BIOS screen yet.

If anyone could put a few screen dumps up of what I need to do in the various steps, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Intel user here..

There should be an option in the bios to load defaults. Id just stick the original cooler on and have a look. Make sure you use thermal paste on the cooler and take a look at the cpu temps in the bios too.

A slight overclock like that isnt gona make much difference in temps IMO while in idle.

Dont blame me if something goes wrong, I take zero responibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

Yea no I know that. Ha. What sort of temp would you say is too much. Going above 65C? Whats the safe limit?

Google says its 70c. Bear in mind the bios temps will be idle ones, temps will get alot hotter on full load.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

Cheers nuxxx.

If anyone has overclocked same cpu as i have please give me a shout as could still need your advice.
    Cheers

smjpl wrote: »
    Cheers nuxxx.

If anyone has overclocked same cpu as i have please give me a shout as could still need your advice.
    Cheers

Your still going to need to turn it on to underclock it so your best bet is just to put on the stock cooler and load the default cpu settings from the bios.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

So long as you have okay airflow in the case you can just go back to stock settings. Rather than sacrifice performance by dropping below 3.2GHz you could try undervolting it a little instead and see if it remains stable at the stock speeds but with a slightly lower voltage, thus running cooler and more economically.

Advertisement