Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animation Courses/Software

Options
  • 02-01-2011 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I'm just wondering whether anyone would know of any good animation courses around Dublin or online? I'm not looking to get into the industry, just want to learn to make videos for myself so I'd be looking for something part time and fairly cheap.

What software would anyone recommend that I could buy or download to get started?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

dun laoghaire College of art and design do an animation course ... I think its the only recognised animation course in the country - but am open to correction.

I applied ... didnt get it (10-12yrs ago...now am working as a photographer)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

PCPhoto wrote: »
    dun laoghaire College of art and design do an animation course ... I think its the only recognised animation course in the country - but am open to correction.

Ballyfermot College runs the Irish school of animation which would run the main animation courses in Ireland and had three former students nominated for Oscars last year [animated short and animated feature] It offers a one year animation drawing course which gives a solid introduction to what animation involves, a 2 year HND in animation both classical and computer and a 2 year degree program.

Software wise it really depends on what area if the industry your looking to work in. Bare in mind that anyone can create animation and there's some really great stuff out there esp with the arrival of youtube but there's a huge difference between that and working in a studio. A studio needs people to know how a studio works and most studios make their bread and butter from commericals that have very quick turn around times and don't have time to train people in.

Getting a good working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, TV paint, Toon Boom, Maya covers alot of areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sadpad

Thanks for the replies! As I said I'm not interested in working in the industry, it's just something I'm interested in doing for myself. So I wouldn't be interested in doing a degree or any full time course, but I'll try out some of those programs you mentioned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jk101

hey if its just animation ur are looking to try out then you dont need half of those programs ztoical mentioned. forget toon boom, tv paint and illustrator too. for 2D animation flash and after effects for 3D maya would be the best to learn, its the most commonly used at the moment so there is lots of resources. Aftereffects and Premiere are good compositing and editing software. There are subscription sites that provide tutorials in all of these programs, some of them are expensive but if its just for fun you might find enough tutorials on youtube and vimeo.

I think The national film school in Dun Laoghaire hold summer animation courses, Ballyfermot probably do too which might be worth checking out.

oh and you should check out www.pegbar.ie
    if you are interested in animation then it would be worth looking them up, they hold animation seminars and stuff.

Advertisement