Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trophies or Achievements?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭

Yes we all know that trophies were introduced as an afterthought by Sony after achievements became so popular, yet there is much to be said about the pros and cons of each.

Personally i prefer trophies, or more to the point, i love the platinum trophy. If Sony had not included the platinum trophy i'd probably prefer achievements. The thing is that the platinum drives me to unlock all the trophies in a game, it's a reward for sticking with it and getting that pesky 10,000 online kills trophy (Resistance 2 i'm looking at you >_>). The achievement system doesn't have that.

I also find gold trophies to be a bit of a magnet, like killing those 3 behemoths in Fallout 3, probably wouldn't have bothered with that if there wasn't a gold trophy involved....

That being said, the trophy system has probably made me play games i didn't particularly like because i wanted that trophy for completing it on insane difficulty and without dying...

So a simple honest question, which reward system do you prefer?

If we try keep this strictly "Achievements vs Trophies" as oppossed to "360/PC vs PS3" that'd be much appreciated ;)

Achievements or Trophies? 53 votes

Achievements
    0% 0 votes
    Trophies
    100% 53 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've kind of become a bit of a trophy/achievment addict lately. I've gone back to a few old games and tried to unlock more of them. I have found that it encourages the player to explore more of the game and try new things.

I found myself finding and trying to do things in the games that i hadn't bothered with on the original playthrough and that helped me get more enjoyment out of them.

As for trophies vs achievements i think it has to be trophies for me. Getting a gold trophy feels more rewarding than getting say 150 gamerpoints for example. I still haven't managed a platinum trophy though.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I've professed my love of achievements many times here :)

What I hate though are ones that you need to earn in ranked multiplayer matches. These can really alter the way people play the game and effect others who are simply playing for playing sake.

Agree though with the fallout example, it made me get the the most out of that one for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Achievements, never made it impossible for me to play a game. Remember that problem with the psn that required you to play online but the psn was down due to that leap year bug, it was also tied to the trophies.

So it's achievements for me, its not a factor in what type of games I play though (anymore)

There's also all those 3rd party sites that make achievements more fun 360voice and true achievements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I much prefer how trophies are laid out and getting the Platinum trophy is a great feeling (only gotten one twice :().

Another thing occurred to me, not sure how it works on PS3 but on xbox you have a screen with all of your completed games. When you get all the achievements it gets added there. Now when dlc is released microsoft see fit to steal you completed game icon away :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

calex71 wrote: »
    What I hate though are ones that you need to earn in ranked multiplayer matches. These can really alter the way people play the game and effect others who are simply playing for playing sake.

This is very true.

Some trophies are pure nasty and not in the spirit of the games at all.

I used to love achievements but I fall into the trap of going for platinum too much I think. Especially difficult ones. I have my eye on Tekken 6 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood at the moment, then maybe Fallout NV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I they both annoy me. They force games developers to make decisions which have a detrimental effect on the games such Lockable save files (burnout paradise) and non-transferable save files (Fallout 3) or limited cheats etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

calex71 wrote: »
    Another thing occurred to me, not sure how it works on PS3 but on xbox you have a screen with all of your completed games. When you get all the achievements it gets added there. Now when dlc is released microsoft see fit to steal you completed game icon away :mad:

On the PS3, you get the platinum for getting the original trophies and 100% completion, however if dlc is released with trophies, you keep the platinum and the completion drops to say 75%.
    I have the platinum for Fallout 3 but only 73% completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

A platinum trophy looks and sounds better than 1000/1000. I like getting trophies/achievements in games I like. Both are a great feature, but trophies are superficially better and more satisfying for some reason.

I hope people that don't trophy/achievement hunt try to ruin this thread by telling people how futile they think both are. You saw the title, move along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i voted for option 3: easter eggs
    remember secret levels, bosses, items and all that ****? i want that again instead of imaginary stupid fukin points

• Advertisement

They're about as imaginary as anything else on the disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

MMmmmmmmm, trophies for secret bosses!!

EDIT: HIDDEN Trophies!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Where is the option for neither???

Why did you even click into this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I voted for trophies because I like the thought of getting, say, a gold trophy for something that was very difficult to achieve.

What I would like on the XMB screen though is an option to put the trophies in order. Suppose you go to a game to view trophies, I'd like if the were ordered as Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Hidden, rather than being dispersed all over the place. (Knowing me there probably is an option already and I never checked) :D.

While I'm here, I'll add another thought. Maybe something like the number of Gold/Silver/Bronze trophies on the top of the screen when viewing a game, including the amount of Gold/Silver/Bronze trophies you have. It would be written as GOLD 1/7, SILVER 3/12 BRONZE 11/18 on the top of the screen, while you can freely scroll through the list of trophies in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Grayditch wrote: »
    Why did you even click into this thread?

+1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't care about either. At best they are something I ignore. At worst they totally take you out of the experience and destroy the suspension of disbelief when they flash up on the screen. I care even less about trophies than achievements since they are terribly integrated compared to xbox live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't care about either. At best they are something I ignore. At worst they totally take you out of the experience and destroy the suspension of disbelief when they flash up on the screen. I care even less about trophies than achievements since they are terribly integrated compared to xbox live.

You can turn off the pop ups and completely ignore them if you really wanted too.

I hate when I do something great and the little pop up and sound comes on only for it to be someone on my friends list logging in. I got a lil happy thinking it was another achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't really like either tbh, when i get one i check to see what i did to get it but that's about it. don't go hunting them all down to get 100% either i've got better things to be doing like enjoying the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Meh, I'd prefer something along the lines of & completed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

rizzla wrote: »
    You can turn off the pop ups and completely ignore them if you really wanted too.

I hate when I do something great and the little pop up and sound comes on only for it to be someone on my friends list logging in. I got a lil happy thinking it was another achievement.

Never knew that. Going to do it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I've not voted as I think they both have there place and I don't have a PS3. I love getting achievements though. For me they have made get alot more time out of the games I do play. Once the joy of playing a game is gone I stop playing though regardless of anything else.

I picked up Ghostbusters there recently and went online for the craic. Found I really enjoyed the online but there is no community playing consistently. The online achievements mean that there are people looking for players though so due to the achievements I'm able to get my online fix via achievement hunting. Has given me many more hours out of the game and in this economy more time and less spend is a very good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭eosirl08.

trophies just seem more satisfying. seeing that little trophy coming up makes it all worthwhile :)

rizzla wrote: »

I know the feeling, really wish you could turn off one or the other, so you only have the bleeps for cheevos :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'll never understand the hate towards trophies and achievements. Their ilk has been around since the inception of video gaming.

When I see someone in my friends list with a platinum on a game I'm playing I view it the same as when I used to walk into the local arcade only to see one of my friends initials in the top spot on one of the machines.

It adds an online competitive side to every game, even if they have no MP mode.

Well I don't. I find getting all trophies and achievements in most games is a case of grinding rather than skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 danielmoran

Trophies are way more satisfying. the layout of achievements gives that system a very babyish feel. plus the bronze, silver, gold and platinum rating also adds to the competetiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'll never understand the hate towards trophies and achievements.

I know where you're coming from - I know someone who got platinum on SOCOM, and that does impress me that he spent the time to do it.

But there are a few downsides to the things as well. There's nothing as irritating as looking for a game of Halo, say, and when you get into a match it's young kids on their mic yelling requests for people to let them 'do achievements'.

Online trophies generally are pretty weak. Tiger 11 is basically free trophies. I got a silver for getting to a particular par 3 green in one stroke, one for filling out a survey, another for watching an ad for an upcoming EA game. Also, there are about 8 trophies for just playing different modes online. Whatever about committing yourself to playing the game the way it was intended, with this title trophies are just an encouragement to use EA's Online Pass login.

MW2 got it right: trophies for co-op multiplayer, no trophies for traditional multiplayer. That said, I spent a lot more time with (and got more enjoyment from) Bad Company 2 because there were trophies for multiplayer.

Between the two platforms, Xbox's format is a lot smoother. PS3 you've got to 'sync to server' or no-one can see your most recent trophies - and trophies cause delays in players' profiles showing up on PSN. But I do prefer a bronze/silver etc breakdown over a homogenized gamerscore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I don't. I find getting all trophies and achievements in most games is a case of grinding rather than skill.

Yes, but in that case it's a matter of hating the implementation and not the system.

The system is sound, just implemented poorly by some developers. A lot of games do have trophies that reward skill and lateral thinking. The trophies for Pixeljunk Monsters for example forced you to play outside of your comfort zone to unlock them (except that stupid trophy for getting so many coins from 1 tree which, I will admit, was nothing more than grinding)

Also, to get a platinum in Demon Soul's requires a great deal of time and skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i love achievements have issues getting into my games really with family life etc but tbh most ill do is complete the game i will never or have ever chased online achievements but thats just me i guess.

Advertisement