Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trophies or Achievements?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My favourite platinums were Demon's Souls, Fallout 3, Borderlands and... dare I say it... Terminator Salvation. I thought it was a decent game. What other game will ever let you have the shotgun-sniper rifle? It's the holy grail of guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Much prefer achievements, trophies are horribly implemented, what do you have to do to get them to actually update your profile? Synching crashes 90% of the time.
    The gamer score for achievements makes it easier at a glance to see someone's score, still not sure how the level system for trophies works and I've my PS3 over a year.
    Also, there doesn't appear to be any sites for trophies, as well made as trueachievements is for achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Just gonna pop in here and say I hate those trophies that rely on luck - such as getting 3 kills with on bullet from a pistol from more than 1000m away :rolleyes: or something as ridicoulous as that that just require you too keep playing for hours on end until you accidentally fluke it - rather than focusing on making you play and improve your skills it's making you grind and grind and grind until a 1 in million opportunity jumps out in front of you and lasts for half a second....

Don't have much time for the ones that are make a map and share it - just trying to force people to use a feature in the game for the sake of it

Personally I prefer trophies because they just look cooler and if you get the platnium you've won the game - rather than achievements where you "got them all" - just seems sooo much more pleasing to tell your friends that you platniumed XXXXX rather than I got all the achievements on XXXXXXXX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Achievements as I can get them on both Xbox and PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Grayditch wrote: »
    What other game will ever let you have the shotgun-sniper rifle? It's the holy grail of guns.

To be fair if you need a scope on a shotgun then you should have gone to specsavers ;)

/ I'll get my coat :D

• Advertisement

I wonder how many people are actually voting XBOX vs PS3, as in, they have only experience of one or the other. I guess that's bound to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Grayditch wrote: »
    I wonder how many people are actually voting XBOX vs PS3, as in, they have only experience of one or the other. I guess that's bound to happen!

Was starting to think the same myself...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't care about achivements or trophies. I've nothing against them, i just can't be bothered with them. Most of them seem to be 'spend enough time playing and you'll eventually get them' or 'complete the single player game' achievements, which most people will end up getting just from playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I thought they added intensely to Fallout 3.

Very diappointed NV doesn't have trophies for its normal sidequests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

noodler wrote: »
    I thought they added intensely to Fallout 3.

Very diappointed NV doesn't have trophies for its normal sidequests.

It does; I optional trophies (achievements in my case) from normal sidequests. Return to Sender and Talent Pool spring to mind. That said, while I prefer New Vegas as a game, I prefer the Achievement/Trophy list from Fallout 3. Too many shitty 10,000 achievements in New Vegas.

As for the achievements vs trophies debate, I prefer achievements. I know the OP opened this thread by pointing out that trophies essentially wouldn't exist were it not for achievements, but I think that is worth repeating. If an achievement pops and I hit the guide button, I go straight to the details, on PS3, nothing. Achievements are far better integrated into the console. No contest there.

Platinum trophies are a great idea though, and clearly ahead of '1000/1000'. Microsoft tried to remedy this by tracking games you 100% (I'm up to 13 I think) but honestly, it's a pale comparison!

Another contrast is that you know where you stand with achievements in terms of quantity. Games ship with 1000, 25 points is 25 points, etc. Not so with trophies, especially with the remakes of games.

• Advertisement

It does; I optional trophies (achievements in my case) from normal sidequests. Return to Sender and Talent Pool spring to mind. That said, while I prefer New Vegas as a game, I prefer the Achievement/Trophy list from Fallout 3. Too many shitty 10,000 achievements in New Vegas.

I actually found the one's for the different endings more of a pain in new vegas, I was lucky as I had saved cleverly and done most of the required work for the 4 endings through exploration and natural play before I got to them. Even so 2 glitches and a bit of repetition.

The heal 10000 worth of damage with food was a royal pain in NV though, I used the drowning method to get it :D

The ones in Fallout 3 were miles better though, they actually helped you not to miss some cool quests but those karma ones i was glad to see the back of.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

As for the achievements vs trophies debate, I prefer achievements. I know the OP opened this thread by pointing out that trophies essentially wouldn't exist were it not for achievements, but I think that is worth repeating. If an achievement pops and I hit the guide button, I go straight to the details, on PS3, nothing. Achievements are far better integrated into the console. No contest there.

Platinum trophies are a great idea though, and clearly ahead of '1000/1000'. Microsoft tried to remedy this by tracking games you 100% (I'm up to 13 I think) but honestly, it's a pale comparison!

Another contrast is that you know where you stand with achievements in terms of quantity. Games ship with 1000, 25 points is 25 points, etc. Not so with trophies, especially with the remakes of games.

On the PS3, there are about 60 side quests and barely any trophies for any of them.

I distinctly remember more trophies in Fallout 3 for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I much prefer Achievements over trophies, not sure why but it could be cause I've had my xbox longer and I'm just used to them. I do like the idea of the platinum trophy though which I don't have as I hardly us my playstation to play games anymore.

Looks like someone else also hates pointless achievements

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-07-why-i-hate-achievements-article?page=1

Looks like someone else also hates pointless achievements

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-07-why-i-hate-achievements-article?page=1

He was doing that fallout one the fools way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

noodler wrote: »
    On the PS3, there are about 60 side quests and barely any trophies for any of them.

I distinctly remember more trophies in Fallout 3 for them

Oh certainly, Fallout 3 has (I just checked) 17 optional quest achievements, versus a mere 7 in New Vegas. Did I mention how I also hate the 10,000 achievements; what a silly idea. Still, I prefer New Vegas in every other department tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah i'm glad i came across this thread, have been wanting to say something for a while.

I like achievements/trophies. I didn't know much of trophies until Black Ops came out, as i mainly just played MW2 on Live, BlOps was crap and made my play other games again! Anyway, i loved when i intently went to do something in order to get an achievement and it pops up. It's satisfying. Same goes for trophies, when it pops up it makes me feel like i, ahem, achieved something.

Trohpies are more enjoyable to get, it's just better to be getting a cup rather than a few points.

But, and this is where i get annoyed, i hate the acheivements/trophies for online. Yes, online is a major part of games nowadays, but certain can be impossible to get the full points/platinum because i did'n't buy them on release, and no-one plays it online anymore. I think that there should be a seperate online achievements section, and count towards a second platinum or something similar on Live.

Also, the grinding/luck ones i hate too. Acheivements/Trophies should be skill, not grinding/luck.

But, overall, i think they enhance games when done properly. Saying that, i have no platinum (ever so close on AC:Brotherhood) and only 1 1000/1000 on Live (Lego Harry Potter FTW!!!).

(Note: Enslaved - Oddessy to the West should be an easy one for achievement whores! Plus, it's an extremely enjoyable game, and cheap at the mo!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I'd like to add to this.....

I'm not a trophy junkie, but I loved AC2 and I played it to get the Platinum trophy, prob y favousite game on the PS3.

AC:B....while I love it to bits, but some of the MP trophies are balls. It's clearly pure MP grind, which I hate. It shuld be about playing the game to its full potential, which alt of games miss out on, just creating a MP trophy for the sake of it, nit tyinking about how a normal person would play the game. Let's make trophies that will encourage expanded gameplay maybe?

Sorry, I'm drunk, but that's just me thoughts. I love games.

Vanquish is PINGING away every time I shoot a bullet.

I'm not a trophy junkie, but I loved AC2 and I played it to get the Platinum trophy, prob y favousite game on the PS3.

AC:B....while I love it to bits, but some of the MP trophies are balls. It's clearly pure MP grind, which I hate. It shuld be about playing the game to its full potential, which alt of games miss out on, just creating a MP trophy for the sake of it, nit tyinking about how a normal person would play the game. Let's make trophies that will encourage expanded gameplay maybe?

Wow. Sorry about that.

• Advertisement

Wow. Sorry about that.

Ha, no worries boss, i feel the same way, platinumed AC2, but the MP trophies for ACB are screwing me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ha, no worries boss, i feel the same way, platinumed AC2, but the MP trophies for ACB are screwing me over.

They are also the reason i am close, but won't be getting the platinum.

I think I can get them.......it'll be tough but I'm in the 90% range now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Trophies don't make a bleep on my interest, Achievements are great though, I think its the online structure and layout that makes me like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I hate the online based trophies/achievements too. They are usually horse **** and there is almost always a few that seem to be reserved for the gods.

:eek: I just found a sweet android app for keeping track of my achievements , it's called achievement more, pro version syncs with xbox.com which is pretty nice and it will allow a search for a guide / you tube video aswell.

/Disclaimer : I have no connection to the app maker or it's development, just throwing it out there as I found it handy.

Advertisement