Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

claralara wrote: »
    I suspect I would have felt a lot better yesterday morning than I actually did and that my hilly 18 miles on Sunday would have been a little more comfortable...BUT I would definitely not have enjoyed my weekend away half as much! ;)

All joking aside, I have thought and talked about this/that/my habits no end over the last 12 months and the overwhelming feeling that I keep coming back to is that life is short and I run for fun (well maybe for slightly more than just fun).. Running isn't my career (every Sunday night and Monday through Friday reminds me of that). I sacrifice plenty for my running goals and whilst I understand the joy and elation of hitting a goal, i really do enjoy a nice dinner and dessert or a couple of drinks with a dvd. I generally eat very well and have plenty of good habits and I will certainly be more cognisant of 'behaving' over the next 11 weeks (maybe a little stricter 3/4 weeks out) but I can't help but think I'd probably grow to resent training and racing if i deprived myself of my Georgie-ness...

Does that make sense without sounding smartarsed or evasive?

I am, by the way, always open to nuggets on fueling/sleeping/training/recovering more effectively so if anyone wants to open a discussion fire ahead :)

No problem Georgie just dont get fat and end up playing for Bournemouth.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Talking about George Best.....

Please see main forum for an A/R/T Fantasy Premier League code if anyone is interested in joining... Season starts this weekend!

All over that. This is my year, no more relegation battles or barely scraping into the Europa league. Nothing more than fantasy football world domination will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

This time 10 weeks....eeek!

Had a good week last week clocking 52 quality miles. Hit the3 key sessions (MLR, 8 miles w/5@.MP & LSR) with all other miles slow and sensible recoveries. Mind and body feeling strong - raring to go! :)

Did about 20 minutes of stretching and rolling this morning though and that side of things ain't so hot. Gonna ramp up the time spent attending to those issues big time from today.

Frank Duffy 10 this Saturday so a handy enough week this week. Need to get thinking about a realistic target...

Well…another long overdue update for anyone who dares to read! I'll keep it brief as it'd be cruel not to.

10 Weeks to DCM
    Since my last update, I've continued training as per the all important countdown to DCM. I was desperately nervous before the Frank Duffy 10 Mile race a few weeks ago. I really wanted to break 65 minutes (thus achieving an official PB of about 24 minutes!) but as race day got closer, I started doubting myself. Friday night and Saturday morning, I really didn't feel like it was in the legs. Plus I had the memories of the tough Rock'n'Roll half a couple of weeks previous. I kept telling myself that if I had a repeat experience, then at least the 8.5 mile blow up would be close to the finish and it wouldn't be too much of a strain to push through a last mile and a half. Things went pretty much bang according to plan on the morning though and I ran a very strong and sensibly paced 64:32; during which I'm pretty certain I unofficially broke 40 minutes for 10k for the first time. I was very happy and the confidence took a good boost. A nice handy recovery the next day took the mileage for the week up to a satisfactory 54 miles.

9 Weeks to DCM
    Miles for the week: 64.3
    Hit the 3 key sessions - MLR, Run with MP miles, and 22 mile LSR - and everything in between was easy breezy recovery! I managed to keep my inner race whore at bay for a week and all runs were solo training.

8 Weeks to DCM
    Miles for the week: 65.5
    Again, I hit the 3 key sessions but they were slightly different as I was running the BHAA Firhouse 10K on Saturday. A sunny uphill MLR on Tuesday which was functional and pretty vanilla!! Then easy recovery miles for most of the week. 10.5 miles in total on Saturday including the 10k race where I did what I set out to do i.e. get that sub-40 in writing! It was a horrible morning; a sign that the summer is well and truly over. The wind and rain on the tough course didn't make the race a walk in the park, but it was still a good strong run which I ran off the shoulder of a guy who I'd heard saying was running a 40 minute training run ;) My watch time was 39:37 and the official time after the race was 39:39. The results online are saying 39:43 now which I don't think is right but ces't la vie - as long as they don't say 40:00+ I'm happy! :) I finished off the week with an 18 mile LSR in on Sunday with Meno and Digdig (ish!) which was another good boost in the right direction.

7 Weeks to DCM
    This week is a step back/mini taper in advance of the Athlone Half on Saturday. I am crossing fingers and toes for the week that I have a good race as it'll be a big one in terms of the DCM training/assessment for the next 6 weeks.

I've been training very sensibly, and always with the key sessions in mind. Any prescribed recovery miles are always welcomed by both mind and body and are all run at 9m/m pace (or slower if the body so desires!). I've upped the stretching and foam rolling levels (which wouldn't be difficult seeing as they were at a big fat ZERO!) and even if that's not having an actively positive impact, it's certainly helping things from going too far in the other direction! Diet and commitment thereto hasn't really changed - I'm still a big fan of my antioxidants ;) I reckon I'm getting a little more sleep than usual but I could still do better in that regard no doubt! All in though, I'm feeling pretty strong physically and mentally so hopefully I can hold that together!

I was out for one too many with Digdig, MS and Meno on Sunday and we got talking about the differences between the first page of my log and where I'm at now. I am uber committed and train like a demon, but I cometimes think I take my progress and results for granted a little. But as we were saying, it's good/nice to see what a bit of hard work and commitment can achieve; and I think that anyone, with a touch of desire and determination, can achieve great running results! I am rounding up the ladies for the round numbers thread 2013 and promising to put the boys to shame! I am really going to try to keep get on top of my log update as DCM draws closer!! I'll need some friendly madness not long from now :rolleyes:

I suppose i should mention the not so disciplined stunt i pulled last night when i was asked to cover for a dropout from a team that work had entered into the Grant Thornton 5k Corporate Team Challenge. I couldn't say no... blessings were given for me tp take part at 'slightly faster than HMP'... Well it was certainly slightly faster... 5 second 5k PB faster :D Ran myself a nice. 18:43 which i was delighted with. Immediate recovery was good and Im under strict internal and external discipline instructions for the rest of the week!! ;)

I suppose i should mention the not so disciplined stunt i pulled last night when i was asked to cover for a dropout from a team that work had entered into the Grant Thornton 5k Corporate Team Challenge. I couldn't say no... blessings were given for me tp take part at 'slightly faster than HMP'... Well it was certainly slightly faster... 5 second 5k PB faster :D Ran myself a nice. 18:43 which i was delighted with. Immediate recovery was good and Im under strict internal and external discipline instructions for the rest of the week!! ;)

Btw... i blame diggydig and MS for my naughtiness as they were being too supportive!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

WTF is strict internal and external discipline ????? I probably don't want to know!

TRR wrote: »
    WTF is strict internal and external discipline ????? I probably don't want to know!

Haha... i can only admit an extremely rare occurrence of poor drafting skills on my highly intelligent and talented part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

still a good strong run which I ran off the shoulder of a guy who I'd heard saying was running a 40 minute training run

Bloody drafters....scurge of the earth :pac:

Seriously - nice PB streak at the moment, let it continue on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Quoting yourself now and all I see!! :D The talking to yourself in the real world is now occuring virtually also! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Thought I saw you there alright. I was watching from the sidelines supporting my own colleagues. Well done on great time and good luck for Saturday!

• Advertisement

Bloody drafters....scurge of the earth :pac:

Seriously - nice PB streak at the moment, let it continue on Saturday.

The edit won't help...we all saw the 'drifter' reference!! ;)

Don't tar me with your brush..my being paced was consensual on both parts!!

blockic wrote: »
    Quoting yourself now and all I see!! :D The talking to yourself in the real world is now occuring virtually also! :pac:

A girl's gotta do... the mirror has even stopped responding to me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

The edit won't help...we all saw the 'drifter' reference!! ;)

Don't tar me with your brush..my being paced was consensual on both parts!!

doh! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'm internal and you're external...... I guess we don't have real names anymore in the latest blockbuster ''It's all about The Foot''! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

I was out for one too many with Digdig, MS and Meno on Sunday and we got talking about the differences between the first page of my log and where I'm at now. I am uber committed and train like a demon, but I cometimes think I take my progress and results for granted a little. But as we were saying, it's good/nice to see what a bit of hard work and commitment can achieve; and I think that anyone, with a touch of desire and determination, can achieve great running results! I am rounding up the ladies for the round numbers thread 2013 and promising to put the boys to shame! I am really going to try to keep get on top of my log update as DCM draws closer!! I'll need some friendly madness not long from now :rolleyes:

I've only been following your log for a wee while so I went back to see where you were on Page 1 - flippin heck! You've gone from being a normal/slow runner to speedy gonzales in 2 years! Less!

I am just at the point where I need some motivation (didn't achieve much this summer, no exciting races on the horizon, missed my run last night cos there was nobody around to run with (too many of those lately) etc. etc.) and now I've got it! What can I achieve if I get more serious about training???

Thanks!

Mulberry

I'm internal and you're external...... I guess we don't have real names anymore in the latest blockbuster ''It's all about The Foot''! ;)

It's all about The Foot part 10. the DCM chronicles

Mulberry wrote: »
    I've only been following your log for a wee while so I went back to see where you were on Page 1 - flippin heck! You've gone from being a normal/slow runner to speedy gonzales in 2 years! Less!

I am just at the point where I need some motivation (didn't achieve much this summer, no exciting races on the horizon, missed my run last night cos there was nobody around to run with (too many of those lately) etc. etc.) and now I've got it! What can I achieve if I get more serious about training???

Thanks!

Mulberry

^^^^^^

CL, this is the reason myself and Meno were giving out to you for not updating your log.... and to think you got all sn0tty with me :rolleyes:

Nearly 3 years and you still don't know I'M ALWAYS RIGHT!! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Boss,

I presume we're taking the chopper on Saturday? Make sure MenoLara gives it a good valet beforehand.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Boss,

I presume we're taking the chopper on Saturday? Make sure MenoLara gives it a good valet beforehand.

Nah Pete, we haven't used the chopper in a while. We feel it's indecent to be flaunting wealth when a lot of people are struggling ;)

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Boss,

Nah Pete, we haven't used the chopper in a while. We feel it's indecent to be flaunting wealth when a lot of people are struggling ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTy34fE-bXvxtH-1MxjmGpqQnBUqEuYg2ZTutYtsfu8FGMMYSRz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hahaha love it! Sorry I ahve not been posting on this training log section but have switched my focus for the winter to triathalon and am doing one with a mate in December.... I still pop in from time to time and if you guys are running a race around xmas as a group give me a shout and if I am home I would love to come along and run it (Albeit with the old fogies as my run times are atrocious :P)

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Hahaha love it! Sorry I ahve not been posting on this training log section but have switched my focus for the winter to triathalon and am doing one with a mate in December.... I still pop in from time to time and if you guys are running a race around xmas as a group give me a shout and if I am home I would love to come along and run it (Albeit with the old fogies as my run times are atrocious :P)

Cue the digger comments..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Cue the digger comments..... ;)

Age means nothing - you're only a young buck when you read this:

http://www.runsra.org/news_article/show/209422?referrer_id=200423

;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I hope you don't know what pistol is up to this evening...shocking stuff

CL..... Where's the race report..... I need a power nap and can't think of a better way to launch into that than to read the first few lines of a report by you! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

CL..... Where's the race report..... I need a power nap and can't think of a better way to launch into that than to read the first few lines of a report by you! ;)

:D ...based on the waiting time, it's gonna be loooonnnnnnnnnggggg...;)

I hope you don't know what pistol is up to this evening...shocking stuff

I only discovered that yesterday when I read his blog...wait til I get my hands on his little neck!!!
    blockic wrote: »
    :D ...based on the waiting time, it's gonna be loooonnnnnnnnnggggg...;)

It's currently in very poor half drafted format. I'm having concentration issues!! Don't worry though... as usual it won't be worth the wait! ;)

It's all about The Foot part 10. the DCM chronicles

I can see it on the big screen now..."What would The Foot do?!" :D

Mulberry wrote: »

Thanks!

Mulberry

Sorry for inflicting that on you Mulberry... ;) But yes, I was a 9/10 minute miler and I had my fair share of ups and downs. But I always kept with it. I take just as much, if not more, away from a bad race or run than a good one. And I always train sensibly... Ok even I'm not that much of a saint... I have learned to train sensibly!

I just love running though - no matter the pace or the weather or the goal or the route - I love getting out there. I think I could count on my fingers the amount of times I've looked for/found an excuse not to run. I take my rest days and I enjoy them but if it's a running day, I will run. It means being organised though - I'm constantly scheming, packing bags, planning meals etc. Luckily I also have a very understanding Digger who does things like deliver my gear the one day I haven't got it and decide to do a last minute race in town after work... Although he doesn't tend to be keen when I ask over an 8am Monday coffee what might be for dinner on Thursday because I'm thinking about leftovers for lunch on Friday because I have a long run on Saturday because because because....:pac:

I was disappointed this morning that I hit snooze and had to cut my run to work half a mile short so that I wouldn't be late (it's not so bad yet that I'm willing to lose my job over it!!)

Don't think about what you didn't achieve over the summer, write down what you did - if you planned 3 races and only did 1 - look at it as having done 1 more than zero. Sign up for something and make a plan. Run alone and enjoy the down time (if it's safe to do so). If you enjoy it, just get out and do it. If you don't enjoy it, find something that you do! For every reason not to train, there are a million reasons to train! So Mulberry....what's the goal?!

• Advertisement

Jesus CL even I'm inspired by that post ;)

Advertisement