Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Was it not a crooked nose or was that somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Or was it 'Their eyes met across a drunken Northern lad'?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Or was it 'Their eyes met across a drunken Northern lad'?:D

And the couple of swingers he was chatting to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I had to google a pensioner's back canal...it wasn't pretty..:rolleyes:

You lot can argue over whether it was crooked noses, drunken northern lads or swingers...I'm sticking with the 'eyes met through the crowded room beer goggles' version the friends and fmily have heard. :pac:

In other news - last night my father arrived home with a pair of orange and grey lunar glide 2s for his ''constitutional walks on the pier'' to ''look after his knees and shins''...gas!! Either we talk or he listens waaay too much! :D

Oh and re: running... did 2 miles @ 9.35 this evening to see how the legs felt having not run since Tuesday (lowest week's mileage this year..:o). Legs were alright-ish - felt like I could have kept going at the pace for a another 10 but think I would have struggled to do 1 faster...hmmm. Also had a really snotty nose (nice!) which I'm not looking forward to for 13.1 miles in the morning. I really don't know what to expect out of tomorrow...it will be interesting. Gonna get the foam roller and the stick out now for an hour and get an early night anyway!

See y'all in the morrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

claralara wrote: »
    You lot can argue over whether it was crooked noses, drunken northern lads or swingers...I'm sticking with the 'eyes met through the crowded room beer goggles' version the friends and fmily have heard. :pac:

You didn't tell them you met on the internet and he told you he was 27?

Nah, I thought the ''married with children my age'' bombshell was enough.;)

claralara wrote: »
    Nah, I thought the ''married with children my age'' bombshell was enough.;)

:D:D

An awful day at the office. Ran the Half in 1.59.08. Digger wasn’t racing off the back of his man flu so he agreed to take on an “easy” pacing job. Not writing an extensive race report but main points for the record: started off happy and comfortable, began to feel not-so-good when we turned onto Chesterfield around 5.5 miles but distracted myself looking at people on the opposite side of the road, got really annoyed with people on the footpath just after mile 7 (taking a shortcut and then barrelling down back onto the road on top of everyone following the proper route!). I suspect my irritability at this point was the onset of the feeling horrendous which never really went away. I was falling into a low point and Digger told me to take a gel which I’m sure helped and I worry as to my fate had I not had it... Came out of the lull a little for a short period (maybe until mile 9). Got to the 10 mile marker and knew that 3 miles was jacksh*t to me, yet I could not shake myself into action. All I can say after that is that it hurt. It hurt a lot. Kept falling off Digdig’s shoulder and then expending energy in short bursts only to catch him and lose him again. He was really urging me to dig deep and just get it together. Although the head was listening and really really wanted to push on, the body just wasn’t responding. I definitely would have dropped off the pace to finish in about 2.05 had he not been there – it was tough love, no sympathy, but I needed it. The last mile was hell. I was breathing like a maniac and just trying so hard to get the legs going but I couldn’t get it together for a decent finish. Felt absolutely horrendous coming over the finish line and literally didn’t have an ounce left in me.

Garmin stats: Distance 13.24 miles / Time 1.59.08 / Av Pace 8.59.8

Splits: 8.56 / 8.48 / 8.53 / 8.44 / 8.57 / 9.14 / 9.05 / 9.03 / 9.04 / 9.18 / 9.12 / 8.42 / 8.49 / 8.46 (0.24)

Really disappointed that I felt so terrible for a time I’m unhappy with. I feel like I’ve made no progress in the last year. And worse still, I feel like I’ve made an absolute hash of training and any potential I may have had for Dublin. 6 weeks to go now and I don’t know how I can salvage it. I know I can do the distance but I’ve let myself away with being a plodder and giving up when the slightest bit of discomfort hits for far too long. I thought I was ok with that until I realised how I felt after another cr*p race on Saturday. I haven’t really been myself for the last little while and I’ve now decided that seeing as running is one of the few things that I have full control over, it’s time to cop on, buck up, put the work in and get the results that I want from and for myself and that I should be capable of getting. I’m going to focus so hard on having a good day Dublin now and thereafter I am going to set some tough goals and achieve them!

Have an 18, a 20 and a 21 miler under my belt so far for DCM and definitely want and need another good 18 and 20 at least. It’s also time to put some quality and pain into the midweek runs. End of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Don't be so harsh on yourself, marathon training (and ultra training ;)) is all about endurance, and they way you are knocking out the long runs bodes well for DCM.

As for speedwork, no need to exaggerate this and start running all your runs faster, but doing one session a week is not a bad idea. It's been sais before but you might benefit by joining a club and getting in group speed sessions which will push you harder than you can do on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Well done for toughing it out and getting over the line under 2 hours - many [MANY] people would have given up.

All the great work you have done so far will stand to you come Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey, I think you are being very hard on yourself :eek: You got a sub2 hr half, even though you have not been feeling 100% all week. The physical and mental strength to keep on going and not let sub2 get away from you will stand to you for the marathon. You've put in major miles and will reap the rewards this day 6 weeks time ;) Keep your chin up, stay positive. You're nearly there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    you might benefit by joining a club and getting in group speed sessions which will push you harder than you can do on your own.

is that my cue?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you enjoy going long maybe some ultra running wouldn't be a bad idea. I wasn't even running 2 years when I ran my first one, I did it because I enjoyed the long runs and was never going to do short/fast runs on my own. Long slow running does bring you on, albeit slower than short, fast, structured training does. If it's what you enjoy though it's far better than getting frustrated when things aren't right.

Club idea is good too though, come up to us! :pac:

Wasn't an overly easy day out there on Saturday either, don't be so hard on yourself. Saw you and digdig pegging it up towards the start line at about 9:59 :pac:

Keep the faith, DCM will reward your patience!

RayCun wrote: »
    is that my cue?

:D

It's all positive out of Saturday...
    1. You dug deep and found more
    2. You ran a PB for 13.1 miles after being sick
    3. You learn from experience
    4. You did what you were told;)
    5. You looked hot

I do think you need to put a bit more speed into a couple of your midweek sessions and forget 10 minute/mile runs unless for LSR recovery. This running lark can really stretch both physically and mentally and we all need to be able to do the really tough miles and sessions in order to land those PB's and I know you have that toughness within you! You already have the ability and pace, remember how much you improved at the UCD track sessions with 400 metre repeats! chin up and re-focus:)

I should have a macro for this or something...

Knocklyon Runners, 7-8 pm, Cherryfield Park (just by the Spawell roundabout), every Tuesday and Thursday.
    There is the occasional easy run, the odd circuit training session, and a tempo run every now and again, but most of the sessions are speedwork - 300s,400s, 600s, fartlek, hill intervals, ladder sessions...
    All good training, and would do you both good...

RayCun wrote: »
    All good training, and would do you both good...

Is that why it crocked you there for a few months? :pac:

For Longer distance events i really think tempo runs are more the way to go, 3 x 2 miles @ 10k pace, 4-6 miles straight at HM pace, that sort of thing....

Is that why it crocked you there for a few months? :pac:

:pac:
    I'm too competitive, I was racing the training sessions :o
    Two races a week (and sometimes another on weekends) = a bad idea
    I'm more controlled these days, and only join one session a week anyway, but i still find myself thinking "...that fecker isn't going to pass me :mad:" on laps towards the end of the evening :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

For Longer distance events i really think tempo runs are more the way to go, 3 x 2 miles @ 10k pace, 4-6 miles straight at HM pace, that sort of thing....

It sickens me to agree with Meno but, he's right!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ah did i see 'ultra' mentioned somewhere? What?

Before you agree to do any plan for the future, have a think what you want to do and then plan accordingly.

Also are you enjoying your running? If there's no fun in it, tis just a slog and that makes it really difficult.

Remember that you have done a marathon and did a sub 2 half on Saturday. There's a rake of people who would like to be in your position so a bit of positive thinking. We all have bad days - tis how you react to them is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You're being very hard on yourself alright. You have achieved so much with your running. We all have bad days, Dublin will be great.
    Chin up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Agree with everyone here claralara. I actually think your run was inspiring - you found it so tough but you fought through it and kept going showing great strength- well done girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Two comments :

1. You have not been well in the last week and that has to have an effect.
    2. It might be a good experience. You've felt terrible and battled through it. You are almost guaranteed that at some stage in the marathon you'll feel terrible. When that happens think back to this time and remember that you made it through.

OK three:

Have to laugh reading your report and then diggers !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well done on your half marathon. The times where its tough and you have to dig in more than usual is where you gain the most in the long term.

Remember you also done alot of miles this year, so your legs are bound to give out sometime and been unwell also takes alot out of your body.

I fell apart on Chesterfield avenue in the 10 miler when unwell, thats a tough part of the course so keep the head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Chin up girl. A hard day like that will definitely stand to you in the long run (forgive the pun:P) and to get a PB too... sure it's all good! ;)

Good luck Sunday boss!

Hi all, thanks for all the comments and feedback - well considered and much appreciated! Heads in a better place already! Was wrecked Sunday but feeling alright during the week and got a few good runs in.

Chest wasn't feeling great however. It really doesn't react well when I push the pace - the breathing gets heavy and erratic and then I start to panic and can't reign it back in at all. So after the dramtics and the wheezing on Saturday, I decided to go to the doc and get it checked out. I used to get wheezy the odd time when I was younger and had to get an inhaler but wasn't diagnosed with Asthma thank God. Same this time around - not Asthma and my chest sounds clear and healthy but the breathing gets shallow and uncontrolled when I push it. So doc prescribed a mild ventolin inhaler to be used only for the pacier runs as a reliever which should help relax and expand me aule lungs! Hopefully, it'll be of some help.

Now I should really give up the 60-a-day fag habit.....;):D

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Good luck Sunday boss!

Cheers mate!:D

Advertisement