Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So you are sub 20 for 5k, don't know off hand what the boss is but guessing she's 22 or so.

You're 2 minutes ahead then so poor Liz i'ld say.

And i'm leaving out the many jokes in my head cause i'm nice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Liz?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

RayCun wrote: »
    Liz?

Yelling? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

chinguetti wrote: »
    So you are sub 20 for 5k, don't know off hand what the boss is but guessing she's 22 or so.

You're 2 minutes ahead then so poor Liz i'ld say.

And i'm leaving out the many jokes in my head cause i'm nice:D

It will be the night of their lives - providing I get my back sorted:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Liz?
    Yelling? :p

CL's friend... The one Meno was licking his eyeballs at after Conn last year;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'm not going to address the chatter since I've last been on as I'm very busy and important. Suffice to say, I didn’t even think about the handicap issue (how ironic eh?!) but in my mathematically challenged state, I would be grateful if somebody would help me out and set the bar for us...!

Under a bit of pressure this week work and personal life-wise so I've just been chugging away on the mileage. I'm back on the commuting buzz and a lot happier for it. Having to run on top of an hour+ commute each way every day was a pretty pain in the a*s. Morning runs have been recovery, evening runs have been attempts at a slightly faster pace but I'm just shattered this week. No doubt I have the remnants of last week's 60 still hanging about too.

Monday 6th February
    Rest

Tuesday 7th February
    AM 4.59 @ 9:56
    PM 8.01 @ 9:18
    Handy recovery in the am.
    Statyed on the lower road and enjoyed the full moon over the bay on the way home. However, that meant all my uphill had to happen in one go :eek::( Newtownpark Avenue on tired legs is tough but not bad for simulating the HOTW in Connemara!

Wednesday 8th February
    AM 7.05 @ 9:30
    PM 4.72 @ 8:55
    I was going so slowly for the first 3 miles on the way into work that I nearly toppled over going down Mount Merrion hill - my feet were not moving as fast as my top heavy (not!!) self wanted to go. Warmed up a good bit after about 4.5 miles and brought the pace down from the 10 m/m recovery I had been running plodding at.
    Was knackered leaving work and not looking forward to how I thought I'd feel running home. Actually felt ok - it's more my brain that's drained. Was nice to get some good fresh air and turn the legs over for a while. Could have pushed harder but wasn’t really bothered was trying to be sensible!

Thursday 9th February
    AM 6 @ 9:32
    Another handy recovery this morning. Similar to yesterday - tough first 3 miles and then warmed up and felt better.

Not overly interested in pushing the pace this week. Just wanted to get the mileage in. It was supposed to be 10/10/10 which I didn’t exactly do, but I did manage to get the 30 miles in over the 3 days.

Heading to Paris bright and early tomorrow for the weekend for the rugby! Absolutely dying for it!

Hoping to get about 20 miles in over the few days but won’t be losing any sleep if I don’t. I expect there'll be a fair bit of walking going on so that should count towards something…

If anyone has any running-in-Paris related tips, I'd love to hear them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

claralara wrote: »
    If anyone has any running-in-Paris related tips, I'd love to hear them :)

Been there 8 times and went running every time i went, which part of Paris are you staying in? If your within 2 mls of the Bois du Boulogne go there. Stick to the trails parallel to the main avenue (very like Chesterfield in the Phoenix) and you'll avoid getting lost.

Sunday morning is good for a run along the quays and down the Champs de Mars (Eiffel Tower), past Les Invalides over Pont d'Alma and into Jardin du Tuileres (Louvre) but avoid it apart from then cause of the heavy traffic.

The Stade is possibly the best stadium in the world, enjoy it :) La Marseillaise is quite an experience in there.

Random observation; if you really are so busy at work, how come you always have such long posts during working hours? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The route I followed for my 16-miler was a bit too stressful for an LSR with all the junctions and pedestrians etc.

I would have loved to have run to Versailles and back through the woods and hills, but I chickened out due to not knowing the area at all and having no GPS track to follow.

I found this one when I got back (38km)and I reckon it would be a savage run. It could be shortened by using the Metro. If you have a Garmin I would suggest using the route to create a Garmin course format file (.crs) on gpsies.com and uploading it to your watch. I did it for a few runs in the Dublin Mountains for trails I had never run before and I never got lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

claralara wrote: »
    Suffice to say, I didn’t even think about the handicap issue (how ironic eh?!) but in my mathematically challenged state, I would be grateful if somebody would help me out and set the bar for us...!

Tell Liz about the bet, and she'll take care of the handicapping. Probably using a (metal) bar. :pac:
    So what if you win?

I tend to type random bits and pieces into a word document during early in the mornings and over lunchtimes. And then when I have a couple of minutes to spare, or treat myself to a coffee break, I bang it up on boards in one go. Good observation though! I rarely go on at the weekend now because I have square eyes from looking at the computer all week!

Also, thanks for the running tips guys. We really appreaciated them. And we really considered taking you up on the good advice. But that's about as far as the training went over the weekend I'm afraid. It was soooooo cold! There was plenty of walking though... (and eating and drinking…!) We made the decision pretty early on not to run as it was just a bit of a pain to have to think about planning meals, and getting back to the hotel to change and to not be able to have a liquid lunch etc :) Once the decision was made it was grand though and there was no guilt for missing mileage. Plus between us we had one dose the terrible man flu and one dose of the regular common cold - I had to put up with both because a man-flu sufferer does not allow otherwise!! Grrr.

The match was awesome… Well the pint in a -10 Stade de France plastic cup was anyway. Terribly upsetting it was called off but sure what can you do. Still had a good weekend and going to put the price of the tickets towards new runners instead :)

Back on the wagon this week - big mileage in store over these 7 days. Have a lot to make up for from last week…

Monday 13th February
    AM 5.1 @ 8:22
    Mornings are getting brighter! Yaay. Legs would have been happy to tip along at recovery pace but I felt I should put some effort in given the lack of running action over the weekend. Didn't feel too hard, didn't feel overly effortless either. Breathing was a bit skanky butI suspect that was the common lady cold.
    PM 7.3 @ 8:47
    Good enough effort home from work. Same as last week - out the rock road and about 2 tough enough uphill miles at from Blackrock up Newtownpark Avenue. Just

Tuesday 14th February
    AM 7 @ 9:44
    Handy recovery into work. Nowt exciting to report. Can't really remember this.

Wednesday 14th February
    AM 6 @ 9:37
    Another handy recovery into work.

Pushed it on Monday but the week is mostly about chugging out easy miles in advance of a LLLLLL S R on Saturday!

• Advertisement

So what if you win?

TBC!

Wednesday 15th February
    PM 4.65 @ 9:18
    Home from work. That is all.

Thursday 16th Febraury
    AM 5.1 @ 9:26
    Into work. That is all.
    May have to re-think the early morning get-up now that it's getting brighter and I can actually be seen in the mornings. It's not a pretty sight - the only bonus of running in the dark!

Was a little worried early in the week as I thought the right knee was going to start acting up but it seems to have settled down with no major concerns. I need to start sitting and sleeping properly!

35 miles so far this week. The remainder of today and tomorrow will be spent resting and rolling. And then Donadea on Saturday… Managed to keep that one quiet huh?! At least you guys know now.My friends and family will only be privy to the very edited version being "I'm heading out for a run with a couple of the lads now; it's in some forest far far away so I may be gone awhile. Don't wait up. If I can’t walk tomorrow ther's nothng to worry about. And if I come home with a shiny medal, I've robbed it from a children's community games competition somewhere".. :)

I was on the reserve list and got the call a week or so ago. Absolutely terrified! No idea what I'm letting myself in for. Off to buy ingredients for to make my share of the goodies now.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great stuff! Chinguetti mentioned it alright on Saturday's lsr.
    So, will we be welcoming another 2 runners into our little 4:45 pacing group??

Great stuff! Chinguetti mentioned it alright on Saturday's lsr.
    So, will we be welcoming another 2 runners into our little 4:45 pacing group??

Nope, just myself. He may wear the trousers, but I'll be wearing the Ultra medal!! ;)

I don't know about pacing / goal time at all at all… It'll be a long training run for me and obviously a PB regardless. I'll start with you guys and see how it goes. Am pretty nervous right now - I don’t feel in the slightest bit rested or prepared! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Just stay ahead of me, ill be a like the grim reaper following all of you:-)

Popping in literally to put up my time - proper report with splits to follow tomorrow.
    3rd female over the line in 4.37.23
    Great day out, brilliantly organised and fantastic company! Thanks and congrats to all!
    Will catch up on everyone's logs when I have more energy tomorrow.
    Right now - the dinner is in the oven, the red wine is breathing and I'm tucking into Marthastew's delicious chocolate banana bread!
    :D

The pair of ye women did great today - fair play to ye!!

Did you get a bronze medal from Anto by any chance for your podium finish??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Great time there, CL, you're flying it. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Congrats on a great run CL. You looked really strong at the end, and I've no doubt you'll storm connemara in a few weeks. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done cl, super running :eek:

Shocked face is cos I could never imagine doing what you did today, not because I didnt think you could do it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Bally8 wrote: »
    I could never imagine doing what you did today, not because I didnt think you could do it

+1
    Amazing stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

You are just flying now. Conn will be no prob at all for you now. Well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done CL. fantastic running

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

good work, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Fantastic running....again. confidence must be sky high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Read Marthastew's report - well done!! Sounds like the two of you spent most of the time socializing instead of suffering, but I admire your style! Congrats on a wonderful day...and yet another medal to wear around your neck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done CL. Looking forward to the race report. Have booked a couple of hours off to read it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Brilliant stuff Claralara!! Well done.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Well done CL. Looking forward to the race report. Have booked a couple of hours off to read it ;)

Not a bad idea...maybe get some strong coffee too...:)

Advertisement