Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I hope you have an official race split for that marathon time :p
    And you do realise that 10k is further than 5 miles, right? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

RayCun wrote: »
    I hope you have an official race split for that marathon time :p

Yes I do!
    RayCun wrote: »
    And you do realise that 10k is further than 5 miles, right? ;)

I refer you to my standard 'you should have been a comedian instead of an a-hole' response!! :p

Thursday 17th May
    6 @ 8:22
    I attempted a bit of a Fartlek run for my run home from work. Wasn’t quite sure how exactly to break it up/what distances or paces I should be doing for the hard/easy efforts so I just made it up... as well as taking what the route gave me - it’s uphill home and it seemed like every time it was time to put the boot down Fartlek style, I hit a hill! Grrr. Ran a 2 mile warm up @ 8:36. Followed by: 0.3 of a mile harder (@7:29), 0.7 easy (@8:21), 0.3 harder (@7:34), 0.7 easy (@8:29), 0.15 harder (@8:02 up the dropping well hill...), 0.35 easy (@8:37), 0.15 harder (@7:34), 0.35 easy (@8:50), 0.15 harder (@7:38), 0.35 easy (@8:16), 0.15 harder (@7:06) and 0.35 easy (@8:54).
    I’m not sure how I felt about this – should I have gone longer/shorter for the harder bits? Should the easy bits have been easier and the hard bits harder? Hmmm. I still have lots to learn but I’ll get there.

Friday 18th May
    5 @ 8:23
    This should have been 8:30 pace so need a knuckle rapping for that. Had planned on swapping Saturday’s LSR with this but after 4 hours sleep, a plane journey and the consequent airport/travel-ness, and some bad meal choices at awkward meal times, we decided to stick with the original plan hoping we’d be better set up for the LSR the following day. This was a tough run, it was pretty warm yet breezy and after about 1.5 miles, all I was thinking about was getting my hands on some Rennie. Not pretty. Was just shattered from all of the above and was glad to finish.

Saturday 19th May
    12 @ 9:03
    Bit of a disaster this one....pace should have been 8:45 but we just couldn’t get into it. An empty stomach on an 8am start, after a 7 hour sleep on a blow-up mattress, and a couple of beers was not the ideal preparation. We ran 6 miles down towards the docks in Liverpool and then just tacked on distance to bring us up to 6 so we could turn around – it couldn’t come quickly enough. Nothing felt comfortable or easy. Not knowing where we were was pretty horrendous too – the roads were lonely and boring and the paths were in an awful state. Spent from mile 2 to mile 10 dreading the thoughts of having to make it back up a pretty nasty hill we had come down and that didn’t help the mental state. I’m usually not one for excuses and I hate to be trying to excuse myself here, but genuinely there were so many variables against us that I was happy to just get it done. Travelling takes a lot more out of me than I allow for. And that was only to the UK – I don’t know how people do long-haul and continue to train (Shaz – I’m looking at you – really impressed how you do it!) I have never felt like I deserved a trip to London for beers and an awesome match so much!!

Sunday 20th May
    5 @ 9:13
    Back in Liverpool for this one. Put the woes of Saturday behind us and headed down to the local park for a nice recovery run in the evening sunshine. This was a perfect run. Everything felt good and comfortable.

Monday 21st May
    6 @ 8:38
    Plan was an easy run (6@8:40) – the ‘easy’ never really came into it. Back on good old Leinster soil and the legs felt sh*te. However, upon examination, they also look like sh*te – my ankles appear to have grown some cankle-type layer on the plane and my feet were so swollen they were squished into the runners I’ve run about 400 very comfortable miles in to date. I seriously hate flying. My body hates flying. It always takes me ages to recover. Anyway, job done so rant over. Going to go to bed now and hopefully I’ll be back in action over the next few days.

Training for Connemara was brilliant for me in terms of commuting. The sheer amount of steady miles I had to run every week meant that I could kill two commuting/training birds with the one stone, and stay away from Dublin buses. I hate buses. They’re crowded with stinks and germs and they get caught in traffic and they just generally suck. Unfortunately in the wind down from Conn, I’ve found myself wasting far too much of my precious life on the bus. And now the proper structured training for Berlin doesn’t really lend itself to commuting. It’s grand for recovery / fartlek but generally not ideal – e.g. distances are more specific, club sessions are in Terenure in the evenings, I have the backpack and the effort has to be harder than it has been. I’m rambling – it has a point…(ish!)

I got a fab new bike before Christmas on the bike-to-work scheme which has been sitting in its safe place at home with the tags attached, and costing me about 50 blips a month, ever since. I was afraid to bring it into work because I’d heard so many stories about bikes being stolen from underground car parks etc. However, I chatted to some people in the know last week and discovered that we have a really secure purpose-built bike shed with racks that only a few people have access to – most people just use the open racks in the car park instead of paying the €3 for a key. I gots myself a key, Digger bought me some anti-scumbag locks (who said romance is dead?!), and I decided to give this 2 wheel commuting lark a bash. I won’t cycle everyday but it’s so nice to have an alternative option. So while there will be appearing a little bit of cycling in my log, it won’t be timed or of any huge effort… For any tri/adventure people reading, don’t be getting ideas, whatever about doing a couple of miles a week on the bike – I hate and/or am utterly useless in the pool. I have far more important running goals at the minute. :D

Tuesday 22nd May
    Cycle 7.16 miles (home-work)
    Cycle 4 miles (work- training)

Club session (paces are miles/minute)
    3 X 400m w/60 sec recovery (5:52/6:00/6:03)
    2 X 800m w/90 sec recovery (6:38/6:44)
    2 X 300m w/40 sec recovery (5:58/5:56/5:51)
    Total 5 miles including w/u & w/d

Cycle 2.5 miles (training-home)

I was shattered all day yesterday, and with the heavy weather all I wanted to do was go home and get into bed. And had I not had training, that’s exactly what would have happened. At the very least, I would have shirked on the speed session and replaced it with a recovery run. Such are the pros and cons of the club. I’d be lying if I said it was an easy session – the last 300m seemed ten times longer than the 800m. Legs were pretty fatigued and the calves were nice and tight. Had a decent stretch and reckon a massage wouldn’t go astray over the next few days. It was a good session but I definitely have faster pace in me on a better day. When we were cycling home, I was dreading how I’d feel today but a cold shower (completely unintended – SOMEBODY forgot to put the immersion on!) and the compression socks appear to have worked wonders thank god!

Re the bike – I took each of my journeys really handy (I hadn’t been on a bike in about a year and I was a bit of a bambi starting off!). It was all very pleasant and comfortable. Except for my tush… the saddle hurt. Quite a bit for the last journey – thank god it was short! Padded cycling pants, here I come!

Looking forward to a recovery run this evening and feeling like I have my own legs back over the next few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The bike is brilliant for recovery from running. A commute won't take it out of you but will get blood going through the legs again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So, did you say you're training for a triathlon?? ;)

Regarding the bike seat, and trust me, I am absolutely no expert and have no idea what the heck I am doing when I am on the bike and even get all screwed up with the gears - a total idiot I am on the bike, but......the bike seat - is it super padded or kinda hard with a cutout section in the middle?? I ask this because when I started on the trainer last year I thought it was logical that the seat should be quite padded and cushy for my delicate fanny bum, but both my brother and hubby kept telling me that I needed less (way less) padding on the seat....and after trying a few different saddles, I've settled on one my brother purchased for my hubby, which is a gorgeous leather number with a center cutout. (Hubby had never used it, but now that I've got it broken in hubby wants it back - HA! Fat chance.) My brother calls it an arse hammock, and it's actually quite comfortable. I have also found that some of the more padded bike shorts are uncomfortable as well. In fact, when I'm on the trainer indoors, I only wear running shorts, no padding. When I cycle outdoors, I wear the least padded bike shorts I have....but I really think it's all about the saddle and pressure points.....however, someone with more bike knowledge could certainly guide you better than me.

The bike is brilliant for recovery from running. A commute won't take it out of you but will get blood going through the legs again :)

Yeah I’m genuinely astonished that I was even able to walk this morning, never mind feel quite fresh! I know that you alternate your commuting between running and cycling (and have been for a while now) – it’s really great to have the option isn’t it? I would genuinely go out of my mind in Dublin traffic otherwise. :pac:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So, did you say you're training for a triathlon??

Absolutely not! Not in any way, shape or form. Maybe some day I’ll do one – but that will only be so I can let Digs beat me at something… :rolleyes::D
    Regarding the bike seat, and trust me, I am absolutely no expert and have no idea what the heck I am doing when I am on the bike and even get all screwed up with the gears - a total idiot I am on the bike, but......the bike seat - is it super padded or kinda hard with a cutout section in the middle?? I ask this because when I started on the trainer last year I thought it was logical that the seat should be quite padded and cushy for my delicate fanny bum, but both my brother and hubby kept telling me that I needed less (way less) padding on the seat....and after trying a few different saddles, I've settled on one my brother purchased for my hubby, which is a gorgeous leather number with a center cutout. (Hubby had never used it, but now that I've got it broken in hubby wants it back - HA! Fat chance.) My brother calls it an arse hammock, and it's actually quite comfortable. I have also found that some of the more padded bike shorts are uncomfortable as well. In fact, when I'm on the trainer indoors, I only wear running shorts, no padding. When I cycle outdoors, I wear the least padded bike shorts I have....but I really think it's all about the saddle and pressure points.....however, someone with more bike knowledge could certainly guide you better than me.

Cool, thanks for that! It’s kinda very hard with no cut out section - see pic if any use. I think I’ll need some sort of padding as the roads in this fair city are far from smooth and cyclist friendly, but I won’t go for anything too crazy – I don’t want to look like a baby with a wet nappy/diaper when I get into the office in the mornings… that would not be a hot look!! I didn’t realise saddles got ‘broken in’ – that’s good to know too, even though it’ll probably take years for that to happen at the rate I’ll be cycling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    [
    Club session (paces are miles/minute)
    3 X 400m w/60 sec recovery (5:52/6:00/6:03)
    2 X 800m w/90 sec recovery (6:38/6:44)
    2 X 300m w/40 sec recovery (5:58/5:56/5:51)

Wow, you are averaging about 6 miles a minute there. Keep that up and you should be doing 5k's in about 30 seconds :D;)

• Advertisement

Oooooo.....she's pretty! Do you clip in?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think I’ll need some sort of padding as the roads in this fair city are far from smooth and cyclist friendly
    Thomas St makes my padded bike shorts worth their weight in gold :eek:

Pretty sweet bike ya got there :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That's the same as my one cept mine is 2010 model. You don't need bike shorts or a padded saddle. You'll get used to it. I use running capris or tri shorts on the bike without any issues for 3 hour + spins...

The padding makes it worse. Padding can't take the pressure so thus puts more pressure on the sore points. Think of hospitals and the pressure relief matresses they use to prevent bed sores...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That's the same as my one cept mine is 2010 model. You don't need bike shorts or a padded saddle. You'll get used to it. I use running capris or tri shorts on the bike without any issues for 3 hour + spins...

The padding makes it worse. Padding can't take the pressure so thus puts more pressure on the sore points. Think of hospitals and the pressure relief matresses they use to prevent bed sores...

She's already ''borrowed'' my tri bib shorts this morning! ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »

So, um, you and CL wear the same size pants? ;)

And there's that tri theme again.......

So, um, you and CL wear the same size pants? ;)

And there's that tri theme again.......

Well that’s certainly one way of indicating to a chick she needs to step away from the biscuits… :o
    In my (very weak) defence, it’s about half a centimetre loose on me, and absolutely bet on to him. To the point where one might walk ten steps behind pretending not to know the person with the black and white body paint up ahead… In fact it’s so horrendous (I’m sorry!) that I took the tags off this morning about 10 months after it was purchased. Ah who am I kidding, I need to go on a serious diet! :(

Well that’s certainly one way of indicating to a chick she needs to step away from the biscuits… :o
    In my (very weak) defence, it’s about half a centimetre loose on me, and absolutely bet on to him. To the point where one might walk ten steps behind pretending not to know the person with the black and white body paint up ahead… In fact it’s so horrendous (I’m sorry!) that I took the tags off this morning about 10 months after it was purchased. Ah who am I kidding, I need to go on a serious diet! :(

Actually, this was a jab at digger, NOT you!! I've seen how slight you are....so....I was extrapolating out....and implying how "small" he must be. I can't even figure out where you could even lose any weight - silly girl!!!

Oooooo.....she's pretty! Do you clip in?

Not yet. I have very funky red clip pedals though - I can't wait to get stuck into them! :)

digger2d2 wrote: »

Thanks RQ. Those bib shorts he mentioned have very little padding – just sufficient amount to take the edge off. Though when I got on the bike this morning, I realised the damage was already done! The sooner the better break that saddle in and or just get used to it!

Actually, this was a jab at digger, NOT you!! I've seen how slight you are....so....I was extrapolating out....and implying how "small" he must be. I can't even figure out where you could even lose any weight - silly girl!!!

Oh no, you’re completely mistaken – he has the physique of a world class rugby player. It was the broad chest and the juice monkey arms that had me at first sight…:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

So, um, you and CL wear the same size pants?

That explains Diggers running form at le Cheile , he must have been breaking in a new thong :pac:

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That explains Diggers running form at le Cheile , he must have been breaking in a new thong :pac:

Nope, no excuses! I’m pretty sure it’s just that he’s no more than 21 seconds faster than me over that distance! :D

Oh no, you’re completely mistaken – he has the physique of a world class rugby player. It was the broad chest and the juice monkey arms that had me at first sight…:rolleyes::D

You were really pissed that night in Ryan's weren't you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That explains Diggers running form at le Cheile , he must have been breaking in a new mankini :pac:
    Fixed :)

Ah lads! I just had my pre-training banana and oatcakes - I thought the only way I'd be seeing that snack again would be if I hadn't digested it by 7 o'clock. However, the mental imagery I'm currently experiencing may change that!

Wednesday 23rd May
    6 @ 9:00
    Plan was 6 recovery miles (9/9:15) which I was really looking forward to. The weather was savage, reckon it was 20degrees in the sun when I was leaving work. So I took advantage and donned shorts and a vest (most likely to the dismay of every person in Dublin who didn't need stomach turning sights on their own way home!) Oh well. Anyway, run felt great - took off way too fast for recovery - first 2 miles averaged 8:40 so I eased right back like the diligent subject I am and just plodded along. My only complaint was completely self inflicted - didn’t really think about the consequences of running with the backpack with the vest. As a result, I now have a rather painful patch of raw skin on my left shoulder blade which is far from pretty :( Oh well, lesson learned - don't be so stupid next time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Um, I'm just going to side step all non running posts above and bring it back on topic.
    Great training going on with you O, we expect great things in Berlin. And enough with the oatcakes or anything with oats in them ;)

Thursday 24th May
    Cycle 7.2 miles (home-work)
    Cycle 4.3 miles (work- training)

Club session - 5 X 1k reps
    Dear lord this was tough! I wasn't quite sure how the legs were feeling; they've had quite a battering over the last week so it was always going to be interesting. The warm up didn't incite much hope in me for a successful session. In terms of the 1k lap - there was one particularly nasty climb about a third of the way in which was a killer; apart from that (and a bit of a broken path) the route was alright and pretty shaded. I really got stuck in on the first lap and finished between the first and second groups. Then for some reason, Emily sent Digger and I off with the first group (should have been with the second group) after a mere 20 second recovery (should have been 60!). I managed to hang on and finish this one a couple of seconds behind the group but it killed me. So I decided to hang back for the second group which was more suited to my ability, if not still a little advanced. Third lap was alright - not easy, but nice and steady. Fourth lap I pushed a wee bit harder and the calves started screaming. I was strong enough on this but knew the end was nigh! Whether or not we would go for the fifth and final lap was much debated but coach won and sent us off with a kick in the rear. I was completely shot for this but held on for dear life to finish. Really tough session but so satisfying!

Total 6 miles @ 7:45 (average including w/u & w/d)

Thinking about the effort and pace for this really makes me wonder how the hell I ran Kildare at the pace I did… or how the hell I'm going to get through tomorrow's LSR… Strange!

Cycle 2.5 miles (training-home)

Friday 25th May
    REST REST REST! :D
    I have been looking forward to this. I took the day after the Kildare Half off and have run every day since - some recovery runs and some pretty tough runs. It's been a pretty decent 10/11 day's training and I've a tough LSR to get through tomorrow. Happy out with everything at the minute though :)

What way does the club work for you O, do they give you a plan for the week or do you do your own thing outside of club sessions and just fall in with whatever's going on on the day?

jcsmum wrote: »
    Um, I'm just going to side step all non running posts above and bring it back on topic.
    Great training going on with you O, we expect great things in Berlin. And enough with the oatcakes or anything with oats in them ;)

Don't worry, I'm still a chocolate biscuit girl at heart. This was an 'I need to eat before training, is there anything in the press?!' snack - not some new chia seed lifestyle change ;)
    What way does the club work for you O, do they give you a plan for the week or do you do your own thing outside of club sessions and just fall in with whatever's going on on the day?

Well basically, since my recent outstanding performances, I've been head hunted by a top-dog marathon runner intrested in coaching me and cashing in on my awesomeness… :rolleyes: Haha. Only messing - I was offered the assistance of some personal coaching by somebody who knows what they're talking about, and from whom I can learn a lot.

So the way its working is that I have a rough outline of the training plan right up to Berlin (10k training until Dunshaughlin and marathon training thereafter) which is flexible and assessed weekly to set appropriate training paces etc. Re club sessions - Tuesdays are speed and Thursdays are fartlek or km/mile repeats so these are included in the plan. Will most likely ease off on the Tuesday sessions after Dunshaughlin though as the longer stuff will be kicking in.

• Advertisement

You can't be mysterious here, we already know who it is :P

Advertisement