Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I've had a word with Digger and he's admitted swapping your iron tablets for Tic Tacs, behind it all he's rightly terrified you're going to hand him his ass in Berlin. He's been a very naughty boy. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

macinalli wrote: »
    First off, well done on getting the miles in while not at top shape! Am surprised though about the iron deficiency - do you think it's down to diet?

Check out the posts from about page 84 – 86 of my log and in particular this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74660527&postcount=1281 and this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74661144&postcount=1289.

I’ve always had slightly lower than ‘healthy/recommended’ iron levels. Even when I was a teenager (all those years ago… ;) ).

About 3 years ago, I had a pretty severe operation on my jaw which they almost refused to do at the last minute because my Hb was low. I just about cut it though and they operated. Afterwards, my iron plummeted and I was on a severe dose of liquid iron for a few weeks (as my jaw was wired shut!) and that sorted me back out.

I don’t think it’s diet as I eat a fair amount of red meat and plenty of good greens. I think my problem could be to do with absorption. There are a couple of aspects to this – Vitamin C aids absorption (I eat plenty of fruit but don’t take a supplement); dairy inhibits absorption (not an issue for me unless 3/4 yoghurts a week or a drop of milk in tea has a major impact – maybe it’s all the dairy milk chocolate I eat…!) and caffeine inhibits absorption (this is my MAJOR downfall – I drink a lot of tea and coffee! As of today though, new rule in work – one cup of tea in the morning and one after lunch – it’s not going too badly so far. Have made up for it with additional water, a berroca drink, a cup of green tea and I’m just about to have a cup of nettle and peppermint tea!)

The iron supplements had me back feeling great after only a couple of weeks last time. I basically went from taking iron and vitamin C daily with a couple of multivitamin drinks a week in the run up to the Connemara Ultra, to taking nothing from mid-April up to now; not only that but there has been a big change in my training in terms of type and intensity.

If anyone has any insight, feel free to contribute.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I've had a word with Digger and he's admitted swapping your iron tablets for Tic Tacs, behind it all he's rightly terrified you're going to hand him his ass in Berlin. He's been a very naughty boy. :pac:

Haha. Well he was proper mortified at having to be seen/heard with me in Meath last week… serves him right!

By the way, I forgot to mention the supportive words that he uttered as we crossed the finish line… it went something like “I’m not driving to Meath after a day’s work just so you can have a training run in a change of scenery again”… I thought it was a bit harsh but upon reflection I can understand that his intention was that I should be running PBs at least some of the time in these races, and until I sort myself out, we’ll be running in the local park and not forking out race entries fees in the tropics outside the Pale.

Younganne wrote: »
    CL, I'm delighted you got to the root of the problem and you are on the mend, horrible feeling when the mental energy is there but the physical energy is not. Well done on getting the mileage in since...looking forward to meeting you again soon!!

Thanks! Looking forward to feeling better so much that I think it’s actually helping my recovery! Was lovely to meet you too, and well done again on your race and your PB - apologies for my lack of conversation after the race. I was out of it! I’ve been thinking pretty seriously about that Meath Chronicle job we discussed… ;) I could do worse for my mental health at present!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

claralara wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s diet as I eat a fair amount of red meat and plenty of good greens. I think my problem could be to do with absorption. There are a couple of aspects to this – Vitamin C aids absorption (I eat plenty of fruit but don’t take a supplement); dairy inhibits absorption (not an issue for me unless 3/4 yoghurts a week or a drop of milk in tea has a major impact – maybe it’s all the dairy milk chocolate I eat…!) and caffeine inhibits absorption (this is my MAJOR downfall – I drink a lot of tea and coffee! As of today though, new rule in work – one cup of tea in the morning and one after lunch – it’s not going too badly so far. Have made up for it with additional water, a berroca drink, a cup of green tea and I’m just about to have a cup of nettle and peppermint tea!)

The iron supplements had me back feeling great after only a couple of weeks last time. I basically went from taking iron and vitamin C daily with a couple of multivitamin drinks a week in the run up to the Connemara Ultra, to taking nothing from mid-April up to now; not only that but there has been a big change in my training in terms of type and intensity.

It's something that I'm interested in as I don't eat that much meat. My missus is vegetarian which means that I'd only eat meat once/twice a week (apart from the ham sammidges of course!) I don't take an iron supplement and get most of my iron from other sources. Veg like spinach and broccoli are obviously good, but other foods like chickpeas, lentils are also quite high in iron. The last time I had a blood test my iron levels were on the low side, but still ok. I was wondering then if the likes of chickpeas etc are just easier to absorb iron from? And I'm also a coffee addict:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Just don't run past any strong magnets, I seen what happened to the prison guard in X Men 2! :eek:

It's something that I'm interested in as I don't eat that much meat. My missus is vegetarian which means that I'd only eat meat once/twice a week (apart from the ham sammidges of course!) I don't take an iron supplement and get most of my iron from other sources. Veg like spinach and broccoli are obviously good, but other foods like chickpeas, lentils are also quite high in iron. The last time I had a blood test my iron levels were on the low side, but still ok. I was wondering then if the likes of chickpeas etc are just easier to absorb iron from? And I'm also a coffee addict:)

Funny – I’ve only just seen this post and actually only realized last night that chickpeas were high in iron. I made a hummus-y seedy garlicky feast to have with my lunch today and just happened to read the back of the tin. I always buy chickpeas, lentils etc and then they end up in sitting pretty in the cupboard. The reason I was adventurous last night was because I have decided I need to up the protein in my diet. I want to lose about a kilo of fat and put on about 2/2.5kgs of good muscle mass. I’ve been threatening for months now to do it and keep putting it off for no reason – I haven’t even got excuses – pure laziness. So a couple of small tweaks to diet (protein snacks v. sugary snacks – I actually think I snack on fruit too much, not just the really bad stuff) and a small bit of strength and core work to get me going.

It’s an extra bonus that those foods are iron-rich. I’m pretty clueless about it all but looking to inform myself a bit more going forward. I wish I could get into a more educated discussion about it but I just don’t know enough.

Would you have guessed that your iron was on the low side absent a blood test? Given how my body has been feeling, I knew I had to be deficient again.

Only one cup of tea so far today and the coffee scents that are wafting around the office are kiling me... :(

Aimman wrote: »
    Just don't run past any strong magnets, I seen what happened to the prison guard in X Men 2! :eek:

Correction: you have seen' or 'you saw'... ;)

Now stop watching that tripe and go read a book… Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What do you have for breakfast? I've gone from 'large bowl of muesli' to 'small bowl of muesli, followed by a boiled egg' this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Only one cup of tea so far today and the coffee scents that are wafting around the office are kiling me... :(

Hi CL,
    I've been doing a bit of reading up on iron absorption as I feel completely run down, am finding myself unable to to maintain pace during sessions and have a generally apathy towards running at the minute.

With regards to coffee affecting iron absoprtion is seems that tea inhibits it more:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09356.html

This inhibition of absorption occurs when you consume tea or coffee with your meal. I don't think having a cup of coffee between meals will have that much of an affect.

I'm starting to drink orange juice with my meals as it will help improve absorption of the iron content of that meal.

I have also started snacking on pumpkin seeds as they have a high iron content.

Tis early days yet but I am hoping these few changes will help.

Either that or I should halt this self-diagnosis and get a medical opinion!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Would you have guessed that your iron was on the low side absent a blood test? Given how my body has been feeling, I knew I had to be deficient again.

Not sure to be honest. In the last 2 years my diet has changed a lot - much more fruit, veg, pulses etc and much less meat, but the iron levels are always in the back of my mind. Especially seeing as I don't take supplements. Am up to 18 miles on my LSRs at the moment and have found that I'm tired a lot lately. Not sure if it's the miles, the diet, or (probably more likely) a combination of both. Might just bite the bullet and start taking a supplement just to see if it has an effect. Can't do any harm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Not sure to be honest. In the last 2 years my diet has changed a lot - much more fruit, veg, pulses etc and much less meat, but the iron levels are always in the back of my mind. Especially seeing as I don't take supplements. Am up to 18 miles on my LSRs at the moment and have found that I'm tired a lot lately. Not sure if it's the miles, the diet, or (probably more likely) a combination of both. Might just bite the bullet and start taking a supplement just to see if it has an effect. Can't do any harm!

I was told I had low iron levels in March and went on a month of Galfer iron supplements. When I returned for the retest I was given the all clear that it was back to normal range. However, I feel I didn't really get any added benefit (in fact I got sick!). Just saying it from a male perspective. This issue hits women more often/harder but increased iron doesn't always result in easier running/better results in my experience*.
    Although CL's experience is probably the opposite in fairness!

*I should mention that I got a 10min pb after the iron supplements but I was going for a 20min pb...:cool:

RayCun wrote: »
    What do you have for breakfast? I've gone from 'large bowl of muesli' to 'small bowl of muesli, followed by a boiled egg' this year.
    It totally depends on the mood. I would be a big fan of porridge (sometimes with seeds and or honey and or raisins or something) but I tend to stray away from that in the summer. At the minute it's a bowl of a random mix from bags of stuff I got in the health food shop - bran flakes / spelt flakes / oats / dried fruit / nuts / seeds etc (not the Kellogg's or other cereal/branded varieties - the natural no added sugar or taste kind!) Sometimes I'd have it with milk (mixed with water as I don’t like milk), sometimes with yoghurt... Sometimes with a banana chopped in… I can be very indecisive and get bored of eating the same foods.

I have a boiled egg with me for lunch today to have with a whole load of veg and salad. Would normally have a snack of some sort around 11 - maybe an apple and or a handful or nuts and or a yoghurt. Afternoon snack tends to be carb/sugar rich like crackers/bread with butter & jam and some fruit or a granola/energy-type bar or something like that - I wouldn’t digest a protein-rich snack in time to suit a post work run. If you have any advice guidance for me, I'd be more than grateful. Sure hell why don't you do all my hard work and recommend me the best diet for a week… Think of the glory in such a task.. ;)

Wow, I can really waffle sometimes… (ok all the time!) :rolleyes::confused::o:)

Just as a by-the-by, the iron supplements can be very hard on the tum. I'm ok at the minute (taking it in the morning and running in the evening) but I rememeber having to cut a fair few runs when I started taking it, back in August of last year, as a result of upset stomach etc. I wouldn't have a tablet early/pre-run at the weeekends when I'm running earlier in the day and on a more-empty-than-usual stomach.

Monday 16th July

Cycle 7.2 miles
    (Home Work)

Run 8 miles @ 8:12 (planned pace 8:10-8:20)
    A lovely wet and windy run out by Ringsend, along the coast as far as Blackrock and back. I took it really handy on the way out as the wind is almost always with me for the second half of this route so I figured that would help me keep the pace I was hoping for. However, in some thicko manner of action, I didn’t realise that the reason the run out felt so easy was because the wind was actually with me. It was only when I turned home and got a whack of wind in the face that this came to light… don’t ask!! Suffice to say that obviously the return leg was a lot more of an effort that I had intended exerting. Mile 7 was the slowest but I did get a second wind for a fast last mile just so I could finish asap. Despite the tough finish it was a good run much needed confidence boost.

Cycle 6.8 miles
    (Work Home)
    Dear sweet lord this was a tough cycle. Pretty much into a wall of a headwind the entire way I’m surprised I didn’t start rolling backwards (legitimately!! ;)). I was also melting under the evening sun in the long leggings, fleece top and rain jacket that I worn on the way into work when it was miserable, wet and cold and which were actually still a little damp...urgh!

Tuesday 17th July

Cycle 6.65 miles (Home - Work)

Run 10 miles @ 8:13 (planned pace 8:15-8:30)
    Same route as Tuesday except tagged an extra mile on to make it 5 out and back. Wind was forgiving on the way out and I struggled to keep the pace down - it felt good despite the heat. When I turned around the effort to keep the pace down was immediately no more. The sun was beating down and I was melting. Started to struggle at the 7 mile mark and stopped in a pub for a quick pee-break and some water. Gave into the lower end of the pace bracket for mile 8. Was getting a bit of a stitch so stopped for a stretch at the end of mile 8 and then headed off again. Kept it really handy for mile 9 and managed to pick it up for the last mile. 7 & 8 were particularly tough. Don’t know whether it was the pace for the first half / the wind on the way back / the weather generally / a tough run that got me in the end but I was still happy with a decent run. (Well I thought it was a decent run until I started getting a bashing from some ruuning buddies bullies berating me for stopping…sad face!)

Cycle 6.55 miles (Work - Home)
    Another season encountered on the bike. The sun had gone away but it was still really warm and windy.

I was absolutely shattered last night. Had a decent feed and fell into bed at 11. Feel a good bit better today and looking forward to nothing more than a handy recovery this evening :)

OH has been going paleo this year, dropping a lot of grains and starchy food (cereals, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes) and eating more meat, fruit, and vegetables instead. It might be worth looking in to, just to increase the amount of protein and iron you eat?

My diet is basically
    Breakfast - muesli and boiled egg
    Lunch - soup or quiche most days, sometimes salad, sandwich, or a roll
    Dinner - whatever I'm given :)
    And two pieces of fruit and a bunch of oatcakes during the day

As you can see, I don't put a lot of thought into it. I've just been swapping out less healthy things from my old diet for healthier-but-still-convenient things when I find an alternative...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Glad to see you seem to be turning a corner and feeling better by the day you will be back 100% in no time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you are looking to add more protein to your diet (which is a necessity if you are looking to add any muscle) then an easy way to do it is to get a tub of protein powder (available in any health shop).
    You can drink it with milk or water. (I am sure you already know this :p).

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you are looking to add more protein to your diet (which is a necessity if you are looking to add any muscle) then an easy way to do it is to get a tub of protein powder (available in any health shop).

Base2Race have a selection too! :)

OH has been going paleo this year, dropping a lot of grains and starchy food (cereals, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes) and eating more meat, fruit, and vegetables instead. It might be worth looking in to, just to increase the amount of protein and iron you eat?

My diet is basically
    Breakfast - muesli and boiled egg
    Lunch - soup or quiche most days, sometimes salad, sandwich, or a roll
    Dinner - whatever I'm given :)
    And two pieces of fruit and a bunch of oatcakes during the day

As you can see, I don't put a lot of thought into it. I've just been swapping out less healthy things from my old diet for healthier-but-still-convenient things when I find an alternative...

Pretty similar to me so - I'm a big fan of oat cakes too but can get carried away with what I eat with them... I've been known to eat my snack and then continue to eat the peanut butter (of the good natural variety of course!) with a spoon long afterwards. :o
    ecoli wrote: »
    Glad to see you seem to be turning a corner and feeling better by the day you will be back 100% in no time

Yep - thank God! Was starting to really panic about Berlin - hopefully a few decent weeks now will sort me out.
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Base2Race have a selection too! :)

I kind of an issue with drinking calories (alcoholic beverages excepted…)

A couple of reasons for this including having been restricted to a liquid diet for about 6 weeks after my jaw operation, and the fact that I am a hungry creature and I like to eat. A lot! :)

I kind of an issue with drinking calories (alcoholic beverages excepted…)

A couple of reasons for this including having been restricted to a liquid diet for about 6 weeks after my jaw operation, and the fact that I am a hungry creature and I like to eat. A lot! :)

That's great but a boiled egg in your lunch would not do much for your protein intake, especially if looking to put on muscle ;)
    A protein shake you can mix with water and drink at your desk, I don't think they are too 'heavy' or anything and a single scoop would give you 30g of protein (a single egg only has about 6g). There is not much in the powder but protein so it is not very heavy on calories.
    You could always mix it with hot water and pretend it is coffee :p (works even better if you get a coffee flavoured one :D)

• Advertisement

That's great but a boiled egg in your lunch would not do much for your protein intake, especially if looking to put on muscle ;)
    A protein shake you can mix with water and drink at your desk, I don't think they are too 'heavy' or anything and a single scoop would give you 30g of protein (a single egg only has about 6g). There is not much in the powder but protein so it is not very heavy on calories.
    You could always mix it with hot water and pretend it is coffee :p (works even better if you get a coffee flavoured one :D)

Okaaay... question: what if I fail to do any strength/resistance work? Would a shake in those circumstances not just be additional/unnessary calories and therefore result in fat gain?! (I'm mildly retardé when it comes to this aspect of life!

Okaaay... question: what if I fail to do any strength/resistance work? Would a shake in those circumstances not just be additional/unnessary calories and therefore result in fat gain?! (I'm mildly retardé when it comes to this aspect of life!

I wouldn't imagine the unused calories would amount to an awful lot but others would know far more than I.:)

A single egg isn't going to do much for your protein intake, any more than a single mars bar will make you fat. But changing your diet to include an egg a day... (in addition to the other things you eat or to replace something you already have plenty of)

The body finds it incredibly hard to convert protein into Fat (I think it is in fact biologically impossible). From reading the fitness forum I think the general consensus is to always eat more protein (bear in mind the body needs protein for simple processes such as hair/skin resythesis, enzyme production etc). But I would reckon yeah, doing some resistance training will help you convert this added protein into muscle.

The body will only really convert carbs or dietry fat into bodyfat with any ease, but only if you take in more calories than you consume (otherwise it is happy to use both the above as fuel).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When I read that earlier I went :eek: Where the fudge is her protein? :eek:

Dude, overload with protein with every meal. Protein and fat are the best things you can eat. You'll never go short of vitamins and minerals once you eat fruit and veg as well, and you can easily supplement them anyway.

One boiled egg. Lol. I have three eggs for breakfast pretty much every day. :pac:

A single egg isn't going to do much for your protein intake, any more than a single mars bar will make you fat. But changing your diet to include an egg a day... (in addition to the other things you eat or to replace something you already have plenty of)

Yes, by all means eat the egg every day as it is full of lots of goodness (above and beyond the protein), but if specifically looking to add some protein to the diet a shake will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

O, there's some good data in the attached pdf.
    You may have seen it before but thought I'd post it again.
    That lady works/trains out of your club i think??

When I read that earlier I went :eek: Where the fudge is her protein? :eek:

Dude, overload with protein with every meal. Protein and fat are the best things you can eat. You'll never go short of vitamins and minerals once you eat fruit and veg as well, and you can easily supplement them anyway.

One boiled egg. Lol. I have three eggs for breakfast pretty much every day. :pac:

Don't get me wrong - I do eat a fair bit of protein. Would always have a decent bit meat or chicken or fish with dinner and usually chicken/eggs/chickpea sh*te with lunch. I'm just trying to incorporate more protein from a snacking/smaller meal point of view...?!I wouldn't be able to have a protein rich snack if I was running within 3 hours as I'd just want to puke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hope you be feeling 100% again soon claralara :)

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Hope you be feeling 100% again soon claralara :)

Thanks Ruby. Me too… It’s been an up-and-down week running/body wise this week but definitely on the mend and hopefully it be too much longer before I’m fighting fit and raring to go properly. Not quite baby steps, but slightly smaller than big steps!!

Advertisement