Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Wednesday 18th July
    4.5 @ 9:26
    A very handy recovery from the office to where I had conveniently dumped my car to avoid the last mile home which is skanky hill you may have heard me complaining about once or twice. Body could have kept plodding out more miles, but headspace just wanted to get home. Stomach was slightly off but the slow pace didn’t hugely aggravate it.

Thursday 19th July

Cycle 7 miles (Home – Work)

Run 6.5 @ 8:07 average incl w/u & w/d
    First club session since I’ve admitted to being a bit broken and started fixing myself. I was absolutely wrecked and not looking forward to it but knew that one hard session would really make today’s rest all the more sweet and deserved. The iron (I’m assuming) has been taking it’s toll on my tum all week – (that happened last time before I got used to them and I remember having a few painful and nauseous runs around that time) – so that combined with horsing a MASSIVE dinner into myself at 2:45 (was supposed to have it at lunchtime but didn’t get the chance) did not go down well. I didn’t digest it at all and still felt so sick and full by the time I go to Bushy Park for training. Just over a mile easy warm up and I thought I might be ok even though I was wrecked and off. A couple of stretches and I started to loosen up. A couple of strides and my stomach turned. Set off for 2 (X 2 mile) loops of fartlek and I was not feeling so hot. Just over a mile and a half into the first loop there’s a wee hill – short but nasty – I got to the top and bleugh…Hello lunch/dinner!! Yuck. Took a few minutes and decided instead of stopping altogether, I’d trot around and get some miles done. Coming around to the start of the second loop I decided to pick it up a bit and catch the 3 ahead of me who had also fallen off the main group. I put the foot down and caught them and managed to do another fartlek lap with them. It was more of an effort than I would have exerted on my own but I wasn’t happy with it compared to the other fartlek sessions I’ve done. When we finished that 2 mile loop, I had to take a minute to hold a tree up, and the rest of the contents of my stomach down…nice! I set off for a warm down mile on my own but I couldn’t shake my anger at a poor session so I tried to keep a steady pace to keep me honest – only managed an 8:14 mile with the puke threatening :) A very calm half mile warm down @ 8:32 got me back to the club house fit for nothing more than the couch and a cuppa. Had two slices of toast after a while as my stomach started to grumble – a sure sign that it’s the iron supplements wreaking havoc and not a bug.

Friday 20th July
    Officially a rest day but have to get the bike home from the office as I abandoned it yesterday. Will take it really handy and enjoy the scenery as I want to be as fresh as possible for the 18 mile LSR in the morning. Really hoping for a good one… fingers crossed :)

Saturday 21st July
    18 @ 8:27
    Met up with a Boardsie crew in the Phoenix Park for this. We're getting back into unknown territory with the long runs ramping up and I was a little nervous after the tough 16 miles last weekend. The plan was for about 8:30 minute miles and we managed to keep it steady throughout, despite a couple of uphill drags and a few windy spots. The miles flew by with nothing major to report thank god. I opened a gel at about 7.5 miles as I was aware of not hitting that low I had experienced the week before. I haven't been taking anything on (water or otherwise) during runs and I felt it last week. We were giving the power bar gels a go as it seems that they're the ones en route in Berlin. I found it very sweet and ended up taking sips and just holding it for the remainder of the run. I had had honey on toast for my breakfast and that sugar hit obviously hadn't worn off. Took a few sips of water during the run but nothing worth talking about. I got a sticth at about 14 miles but that only bothered me when I was chattering so I just shut up and focused on footfall/breathing as a management/damage control exercise. All in all, a great run. Reassuring and confidence boosting - just what the doctor ordered :) Nice to put some new faces to names too.

Sunday 22nd July
    6 recovery miles @ 9:26
    A really nice late afternoon trot with Digs - up to Marlay for a lap and back home. There were loads of people out and about enjoying the weather - a nice change! It was also nice to enjoy the park with a recovery run; the last few times I've been up have been for some tougher paced stuff and I was starting to lose the love for the place. The iron had really upset my stomach after a decent sized brunch and I was worried about running but it had settled a good bit by the time we went out.

Monday 23rd July

Cycle 7 miles
    (home - work)

Run 8.4 @ 8:43
    (planned 8 @ 8:20 - 8:50)
    Had decided well in advance that I was going to keep this one towards the slower end of the planned range. Have a couple of tough runs this week and didn’t want to ruin anything too early in the week. The tum was pukey for a good bit of the day (goddamn iron!!!) and I spent the entire day on my feet in 4 inch heels which I rarely do - so I was a bit nervous/lacklustre when the time came to don the running gear. Left ITB and glute are a little tight and I wanted to keep it as comfortable as possible bearing that in mind as well. It was very warm and windy and the route was tough enough. The headwind was persistent (to say the least) and there were plenty of steady climbs - if it wasn't a fight with one or the other, it was both! Keeping the pace was just a wee bit more difficult than it should have been but it was still a decent and handy enough run. Jumped into a cold bath when I got home and then alternated the shower between hot and icy water for a few minutes - that could have been a lengthier recovery exercise but I was too hungry to hang around. Every little helps eh?!
    Then I finally (!) got the foam roller and did about 20/25 minutes' work on that while watching the Ab Fab Olympics special on TV… Fun and games! :)

Tuesday 24th July
    6.45 recovery miles @ 8:53
    I switched today's planned session (MLR w/MP miles) for tomorrow's recovery for two reasons - time constraints and the ITB/glute niggle. Figured a handy recovery and another bit of rolling wouldn't do any harm before getting stuck into a harder run. It was mostly a very easy recovery into work with the pace hovering around 9:10 pace - I just threw in one quicker half mile after about 3.5 miles to see how the ITB/glute would react and to make sure the legs still had some early morning life in them as tomorrow's session will be an early one. The last half mile ended up being closer to MP than recovery as I realised the time and put the foot down. Everything felt good and it has lightened the fear of the MLR that I was building up in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

claralara wrote: »

I spent the entire day on my feet in 4 inch heels which I rarely do

Training for this?;)

heels1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Some great training going on there cl. You make that 18 miler sound easy :D

Tuesday 24th July PM
    Cycle 6.6 mile (work – home)

Wednesday 25th July
    12 @ 8:06 (plan 10/12 miles – 4 easy, 4 @ MP, 2-4 easy jog) Well I had a great run this morning :) Ok the MP miles were way too fast but a good speed session after a few weeks of fatigue and aches and cramps and general body unhappiness!
    Last night I had a pint of water, a cream cake, some biscuits and engaged in about 25 minutes of easy foam rolling before hitting the day at about 11.30. Was up and out the door by 6:30 this morning for the 12 miles. Lovely morning for running with just a light headwind heading towards town. The first four miles were grand, nice and easy (mostly downhill, a bit of flat) though it took a wee while to warm up (8:59, 8:39, 8:43, 8:43). I hit the 4 mile mark (i.e. start of MP miles) just as after I turned the LUAS bridge heading towards town. The first mile was a handy decline and flat once I turned left onto Bird Avenue - I felt a bit of a cheat so decided to aim for faster than planned pace to make up for that (7:31). Then I turned into UCD to be fair and make the route as even as possible as not totally downhill. Did about 2 miles around UCD and pace felt good (7:27 & 7:27). Turned back out onto the N11 towards town and bar the 100m coming down off the UCD flyover, this mile was flat (7:29). I got a bit of a stitch during this but the legs felt good. When I got to the Dublin Bus Station, I swung a right down Ailesbury Road and decided that to make up for what might have been an easier-than-recommended/allowed route, that I'd run one more fast mile. This took me down onto the Merrion road, swung a right and finished this mile up at the Merrion gates (7:25). I think the last mile has to have been net flat so happy with that. Was tempted to keep the pace up for a while but saw sense. The 3 miles back in by the coast were nice and handy and the light breeze kept some manners on me (8:01, 8:28, 8:27). The legs were grand/awesome mostly but did start to tire towards the end at the easy pace. I decided to opt for the method of taking my life in my hands crossing roads so that I wouldn't have to stop - it worked pretty well until mile 11 when I got stung at a red light but sure I was done and dusted by then so I shan't complain. Into work by 8:10, got showered and fed and had a nice calm start to the day. Now… on what shall I pig out over lunch?! Decisions decisions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

TRR wrote: »
    Training for this?;)

heels1.jpg

Did you put the Lynx on again TRR? ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Did you put the Lynx on again TRR? ;)

I'm actually at the back of that group. They are running to get away from me :)

9.5 Weeks to D-Day

Thursday 26th July
    7.1 @ 8:36
    plus 6.8 mile am cycle (home – work)
    and 6.5 mile pm cycle (work – home)

Friday 27th July
    18.2 @ 8:19
    6am LSR before work as travelling Saturday – all great!

Saturday 28th July
    3.55 @ 9:01
    Easy pre-flight, post- LSR loosener.

Sunday 29th July
    6 @ 8:51
    Ttough run in approx 35degrees of Italian evening heat.

Mileage for week was above (bold!) the planned mileage as a result of mixing days and skipping a rest day (…by accident…) ~ 62 miles

9 Weeks to D-Day

A very hot (35-40degree) holiday week in Lake Garda with Digger coincided nicely with a very easy rest week. A real rest week, with actual rest days (plural!) and just easy miles in between :) We acclimatised to the heat ok but it would have been a different kettle of fish altogether had we had pacier miles to do!

Monday 30th July
    6 @ 9:22

Tuesday 31st July
    Rest

Wednesday 1st August
    14 @ 9:35-9:40
    We did this in the mid-day heat but took it really handy – plenty of fluids and a decent break at the 7-mile-turnaround mark. Lost satellite signal a couple of times with running in tunnels but happy enough that the Garmin corrected anything. Fabulous location for a run – the views are awesome and the roads are in great condition. We are seriously considering going back to do the Lake Garda marathon next year (it seems to be on the same weekend as DCM).

Thursday 2nd August
    Rest

Friday 3rd August
    6 @ 9:07
    Hot hot hot!!

Saturday 4th August
    2 @ 9:00
    A really short and handy loosener after the flight. To be honest, I just had to get post-holiday Superquinn sausages, Kerrygold and red wine and left it too late to walk! ;)

Sunday 5th August
    5 @ 9:23

Total rest week mileage – 33 miles

8 Weeks to D-Day

Monday 6th August
    20 @ 8:07
    Delighted with this LSR. Had to get it out of the way early in the week as pacing the midlands half at the weekend and what better way to spend a bank holiday Monday…. Headed up to Marlay (2 miles), did 8 X 2mile laps, and then back home (2 miles). Good practice for Donadea! Took a gel after an hour and a second after another hour. Made sure to take on plenty of water throughout as well. I felt really strong and for the first time in ages I even felt my form was good – was lifting my legs and had a decent stride The legs started to get heavy over the last mile and a half but all great apart from that and no major low spots to report. Was tired and stiff for a little while afterwards and the quads were a bit DOMS-y yesterday but happy that I’ve recovered well from it.

Tuesday 7th August
    6 @ 9:20
    A decent recovery. As I said, quads felt a little tender but not niggly or injury sore.

Not a bad update to the log all in all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Brilliant pace for that 20 miler on bank holiday monday - what you going for in Berlin? 3.15/20 or something, or do it as a LSR and stick with the rest of us mere mortals at 3.30 :eek:

Brilliant pace for that 20 miler on bank holiday monday - what you going for in Berlin? 3.15/20 or something, or do it as a LSR and stick with the rest of us mere mortals at 3.30 :eek:

Don't know yet. Not making any plans until the end of August... I have a couple of races in mind around then to see where I'll be at.

That pace on the 20 miler was about 15/20 seconds/mile faster than I had planned but I was feeling good and couldn't shake it. Hopefully I won't end up regretting it - have a couple of tough weeks planned now.

Also my body does not react well to air travel and we only land in Berlin 24 hours before the start line so I'm pretty nervous about that... We're talking heavy legs, swollen feet, sick tummy... :( We shall see!

• Advertisement

Jeepers I've been totally neglecting my log. Still running outside the world of the interweb so all good!

Wednesday 8th August (8 miles easy)
    8 @ 8:27
    A handy run home from work. It was very warm though - was sweating like a horse when I got home. Nice! Legs were tired enough - could have gone faster if the plan called for it but wouldn't have fancied it much!

Thursday 9th August (Club session)
    6.4 @ 8:08
    Couldn't make club session so did my own session with a progression run and just tried to run each mile a little faster than the one before - 8:30, 8:24, 8:14, 8:01, 7:48, 7:34 and .4 of a warm down @ 8:43.

Friday 10th August (Rest)
    Rest

Saturday 11th August (6 Recovery)
    6 @ 9:40
    A proper hardcore recovery in the sunny south-east - legs were pretty wrecked and had to save them for pacing the following day.

Sunday 12th August (Pacing 1:50 HM)
    14.3 @ 7:43
    Pacing the Midlands 14.3 mile Half Marathon with Mr Stew. I had only realised that I was pacing 1:50 and not 2:00 earlier in the week when I had been geared up for the 2 hour slot so needless to say I was a wee bit nervous. I knew I'd be grand to keep the pace but was a little worried about whether I'd be able to maintain conversation and calm, but I suppose that's always the way first time around. I think everyone is aware of the issues surrounding this race i.e. the completely incorrect and long distance so I won't get into that. Suffice to say that we started to get concerned at about 3 miles when we were down on time but up on planned pace. We kicked on a bit while trying to keep the group together but it was obvious that something was seriously wrong. Absent any communication or knowledge of the fact the course was going to be so inaccurate, we made the decision to ditch the garmin readings and just go with pace band and time. We knew we were picking up the pace something serious but we weren't making any time. We just upped and upped it in order to get as close as possible. We had lost the remaining pace group members by the 9 mile mark which was really about 10 miles. It was such a shame and I'm really sorry to those who were hoping to run with us and break 1:50 but we didn't really know what else to do. I finished in 1:50.30 and was the third lady over the line (mortifying!!) The RD was very up front and apologetic and fair play to him for hanging around and trying to speak with everyone individually. It was a huge error but hopefully the feedback will be taken into consideration and the race will be a great success next year.

Total for the week was a decent 60.7 miles.

7 Weeks to B-day! (54-58 mile week)

Monday 13th August (6 recovery)
    6 @ 9:21
    A handy recovery run - felt OK; although I had a dull ache/stitch all through my core for the duration.

Tuesday 14th August (7 easy, 5 @ HMP)
    12 @ 7:48
    (7@8:10/20 followed by 6:52, 6:49, 7:09, 7:08, half a mile @ 7:17 and half a mile @ 8:28)
    This was TOUGH!! It was a very warm evening. The legs and breathing felt comfortable for the first 7 miles but the core was still achy. The first two fast miles felt ok until I hit a hill around Marlay up to the top of the grange road and had to stop halfway through the third mile at the top in fear of puking. Finished off that mile and tried to kick on again. Had to stop 2/3 times during the 4th mile as was just shot. Managed to do one more fast-ish half mile before easing off and jogging to the end of the session. I stopped as soon as I hit the 12 mile mark and walked the remaining 500m home (I never do that!). Could definitely feel Sunday's exertions in the body.

Wednesday 15th August (6 Recovery)
    5.4 @ 9:22
    This recovery run was MANKY and I didn't enjoy one moment of it! The core was still achy. Called it a day when I reached the house at 5.4 miles and didn't succumb to the Garmin whore-ness of running up and down the road.

Thursday 16th August (Hard club session)
    1.1 w/u @ 9:10 / 4 fartlek @ 7:45 av / 1 w/d @ 8:28
    Didn't make club session but headed down to Bushy Park with Digs to do an imitation of the usual Thursday session. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't absolutely dreading this but having the company (and competition!) kept both of us going. We really got stuck in and basically raced each other around the hard fast bits. Was delighted to get this good session in and really enjoyed it despite my fear and trepidation beforehand.

Friday 17th August (Rest)
    Rest

Saturday 18th August (20 miles - 12 easy, 6 hard, 2 easy)
    20 @ 8:03
    LSR in the park with Digger and Meno. This was a really good LSR :)Roughly 12 @ 8:10/20, 6 @ 7:20, 2 @ 8:20 - there was a bit of a discrepancy between the Garmins so those are the rough times.
    The legs were heavy and tired from the off. The calves could really feel the week's effort from about the 8 mile mark, and they were knackered starting the hard miles but that was the aim of the week! I was also wearing my Kinvaras for the first time over 14 miles at a time so that was probably another factor. I ran the hard miles with Meno and got through them alright so I was happy out. Was absolutely pole-axed and parching for the final 2 warm down miles. When we finished, I sat on the ground for about 10 minutes and just stretched out and downed every drink within reach.

Sunday 19th August (6 Recovery)
    6 @ 9:20
    Really really handy - took a couple of miles to warm up and then just trotted around - very little effort altogether.

A good hard week of training for a total of 55.7 miles.

Obviously the legs aren't as fresh as a daisy after Saturday's run and the hard week in general but I feel like I've recovered well and the body is behaving as well as can be expected. It'll be interesting to see how this evening's run goes...eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Whats your goal for berlin now orna?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Podium finish or nothing :)

Oisin11178 wrote: »

1. Beat dig dig

2. Beat dig dig

3. Beat dig dig

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

1. Beat dig dig

2. Beat dig dig

3. Beat dig dig

;)

Ah Digger, you're alive, how goes it? :)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    1. Beat dig dig

2. Beat dig dig

3. Beat dig dig

;)

Ah Digger, you're alive, how goes it? :)

Not too bad dude, how are you getting on?

I'm in a fingers crossed kinda place ;)

Mr Slow wrote: »

I'm in a fingers crossed kinda place ;)

What's the plan?

By the way, for any of the original 'followers' who haven't given up on CL's log despite the lack of daily updates...... She has turned into a running MACHINE.... It's actually a little bit scary - Dublin Chamber Of Commerce have commented on the fall in Leeson St. revenue as a result of her training regime, materminded by the evil Doctor ;)

What's the plan?

Revel in other's success! :)

• Advertisement

That's the big question... it's within an ever-changing range that I try not to think about!!
    Podium finish or nothing :)

Haha... Hopefully there's in excess of 20,000 spaces on that German podium!
    1. Beat dig dig

2. Beat dig dig

3. Beat dig dig

;)

Pretty much 'Nail' 'Head'... Competitive much?! ;)

Monday 20th August (8 miles easy)
    8 @ 7:52
    Shocked at how well this one went. Slightly faster than planned (for which I blame Digs...apparently our joint training runs are turning into races:rolleyes:)
    Legs had started to fatigue during the afternoon and really felt yuck just before we headed out. I wasn't feeling an 8m/m pace and wasn't overly concerned about hitting it. However off we went at planned pace - up to Marlay for a couple of laps and back home. Warmed up pretty quickly within the first two miles and the breathing eased off once I got comfortable. As I said, can't believe I got through this one so positively; am delighted with it - a couple of easy increases in pace felt surprisingly comfortable - 7:59 / 7:56 / 7:57 / 7:56 / 7:56 / 7:50 / 7:49 / 7:48

120th female finisher or better. That would be an amazing result ;)

120th female finisher or better. That would be an amazing result ;)

The weight of an alcoholic on my shoulder... if that doesn't give me a root up the rear then nothing will...!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3.13 it is then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

RayCun wrote: »

That should be no bother to her!!!

It's not the time, it's the finishing position that's important :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well she inisted on going at 7:20/mile pace in her PMP miles last saturday and didn't want digger holding her back, so I'd say 3:13 is about right :D

claralara wrote: »
    The weight of an alcoholic on my shoulder... if that doesn't give me a root up the rear then nothing will...!

Cheeky git more like standing on the shoulders of giants!!

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    That should be no bother to her!!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well she inisted on going at 7:20/mile pace in her PMP miles last saturday and didn't want digger holding her back, so I'd say 3:13 is about right :D

Jaysus lads...pressure much?!

It's not the time, it's the finishing position that's important :)

Get your wallet and your snot bubble rags ready! :D

I can confirm that I am chasing an arbitrary (ish!) finishing position and not a time - in fact the time for that particular position has a range of just over 10 minutes, based on the previous 10 years of this Berlin marathon.

I can further confirm wanting to achieve this position is in no way relective of a race plan / goal pace etc - it is simply a desire to kick a certain person's a*s!

That is all. :D

Oh and there are a couple of pints riding on it too!

Advertisement