Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

wow AMAZING!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great report there CL!

Fantastic to see your progress over the past year - It's so encouraging to everyone here to see your meteoric rise and you appear to have plenty left yet to go on that upward curve!
    We're all very excited to see just how far your improvement can go and with your age profile you have plenty of time to do yourself justice yet and reach your full potential.

I'm sure there are unspeakable ambitions of breaking 3hrs in Berlin. Yet, regardless of the outcome keep the training up and next year you'll no doubt have a whole new set of targets beginning with 2:xx:xx. So, hopefully you'll bear in mind that Berlin can merely be a stepping stone and that dipping below the 3hr barrier there doesn't need to be fulfilled as, if you maintain your training, I have no doubt you'll smash it next year regardless...just like you smashed the insurmountable 4hrs not so long ago!

This time next year I can well imagine you being the female equivalent of Gary O'Hanlon going around hogging all the prizes!! Just make sure you share some of it with Digger!;)

Well done again on current and future successes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

belcarra wrote: »
    This time next year I can well imagine you being the female equivalent of Gary O'Hanlon going around hogging all the prizes!! Just make sure you share some of it with Digger!;)

!

Well said mate! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

wow, CL thats a fantastic report and an awsome achievement...you make me wish i was 20 years younger so i could put all that effort into it and have the potential to do what you are doing...but i'll stick with my F40(i don't have any option:rolleyes:) and see if i can break 4(.15) in Dublin!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Super achievement CL. You clearly have considerable talent/pace, but the rewards and improvements you are getting from your training and dedication are very inspiring. Long may it continue for you
    Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Brilliant report and congratulations. Makes us all dream about progressing from 4+ to even 3.30's finishes. Enjoy. Go Girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

holy crap fair play. great report and great achievment. I can only dream of running behind the car with the clock must be some feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Brilliant report and fantastic run, absolutely delighted you won. You. Are. Amazing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great performance. Fantstic result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Not much more to say that hasn't already been said here but...

Fantastic achievement, great report (as usual) and many congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just leafing through FIT magazine this morning and saw the article on you - Congrats!
    But who's the hanger-on?? Did he even do the race cos he's got no finisher's medal!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Just leafing through FIT magazine this morning and saw the article on you - Congrats!
    But who's the hanger-on?? Did he even do the race cos he's got no finisher's medal!:D

That was the M60 winner! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Haha - shock at surprise winner who was about 12 minutes slower than last year's winner...

Yeah I think that guy crossed the line a couple of minutes after me - apparently he would have run faster if he'd known he was gonna crash my photo shoot and end up in the paper..!!

Bleedin morto wha?!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah scarlet for ya' :pac:

Some photoshopping though, you'd never tell digdig was pushing 60 :)

Guys thanks so much for all the lovely congratulations - really appreciate it. Still can't believe it! Haha.

Anyway, many of you have made some interesting comments and I pretty much want to reply to loads of things... bear with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That was the M60 winner! :)
    Yeah scarlet for ya' :pac:

Some photoshopping though, you'd never tell digdig was pushing 60 :)

Ok... I think it's time I launched some sort of Chris Crocker type "leave Dig Dig alone" viral video....

This has nothing to do with the fact that I am older than digger:)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Ok... I think it's time I launched some sort of Chris Crocker type "leave Dig Dig alone" viral video....

This has nothing to do with the fact that I am older than digger:)

They're just jealous that Officer Dig Dig is far better looking and faster than they are... MS, that's called 'scraping the barrel' for insults ;)

By the way, have I told you recently how well you look? Not a day over 29 IMO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Just dropped the fit magazine to come along and say :wow!Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Saw the article in work yesterday, well done again! Lovely pic of the two of you :)

jonny99 wrote: »
    Just dropped the fit magazine to come along and say :wow!Well done.

Haha thanks! I hope you dropped it right into the recycling bin never to be seen again!
    RubyK wrote: »
    Saw the article in work yesterday, well done again! Lovely pic of the two of you :)

It's certainly not as bad as it could have been. Although I don't think Assets will be knocking on my door anytime soon... :D;)

And moving on from the 15 minutes of fame and back to training reality... Have ticked over nicely this week.

Monday 27th August (4 miles recovery)
    4.2 @ 9:26
    All great, bit tired and tender but nowhere near as bad as I would have been expecting after the HM.

Tuesday 28th August (4-6 miles recovery)
    6 @ 9:03
    We went down to the club session and just ran easy with a couple of guys who had raced on Saturday. Felt grand and easy; no niggles or other complaints.

Wednesday 29th August (6-8 miles easy 8:15ish)
    8 @ 8:13
    This was pain in the ar5e run to be quite honest. I just wasn't feeling the love. No niggles or anything. Just a bit tired and creaky and would have far rathered to be sitting down with a dvd and a bottle of wine. I could have run 10 or 12 or 14 miles had that been on the plan so I know the body was holding up half ok, but my head just wanted a lazy day off. (P.s. I felt great afterwards and was delighted to have got it done, so we got the bottle of wine and the dvd in... Mmmmm!:D)

Thursday 30th August (8 miles easy or Club session/Fartlek or 5 miles at MP) (Coach gave us a free pass to do whatever we wanted depending on how the body felt :) - who'd have known he had a heart?!)
    8.15 @ 7:43 (total overall average)
    I decided I wanted to do something a little speedier as the legs felt good so planned 2 easy, 4 hard, 2 easy. Headed over to Marlay with Digs. Did 2 easy miles which got us almost to the gate of Marlay (8:24 & 8:26). Then I headed off to do what I wanted to do (Digger had his own plans) and I ran a couple of laps for my harder miles (7:20, 7:16, 7:18, 7:11). It's difficult to keep the pace and effort steady in Marlay, with the ascent on one side of the park and the descent on the other. I was happy with it though. The first warm down mile was probably a bit too fast (7:45) but I think that happens when easing off the faster stuff. Last mile and a bit were at 8:15 pace and felt good. Really happy with this run and the effort after Sunday (effort was probably a little harder than it should have been for this run but that's to be expected).

Friday 31st August (Rest)
    Friday "rest" day - has now become Friday "sit on your bum eating and drinking whatever you want in advance of Saturday LSR" day and I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it...;) Haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I hear ya, I think loops of marlay are on my loathe list.
    Your races and training continue to astound. We all expect great things in Berlin. No pressure mind ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    I hear ya, I think loops of marlay are on my loathe list.
    Your races and training continue to astound. We all expect great things in Berlin. No pressure mind ;)

Thanks! I'm in a bubble ignoring goal times, paces, races etc. Every mile at a time and hopefully a bit of luck on the day will result in a satisfying performance.

I actually had to go up to Marlay last week for a recovery run just so I could trot around, enjoy the park and get the love back - for a while it was like shock therapy and the thoughts of the place meant pain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Well done CL - amazing running and a phenomenal improvement in such a short length of time. Have been following your story with interest. Looking forward to seeing where you go from here. As a matter of interest - was just browsing the Dublin marathon site having eventually registered for this year - you are very near the marathon mission qualifying time - I have no doubt you will reach that too soon (just saying like...) :D

Well done and best of luck in Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Amazing CL. That is all:)

kit3 wrote: »
    Well done CL - amazing running and a phenomenal improvement in such a short length of time. Have been following your story with interest. Looking forward to seeing where you go from here. As a matter of interest - was just browsing the Dublin marathon site having eventually registered for this year - you are very near the marathon mission qualifying time - I have no doubt you will reach that too soon (just saying like...) :D

Well done and best of luck in Berlin

I had to go and look that up after reading your post... I then ha to laugh in shock and disbelief.. there's some amount of work to be done before I could even dream of marathon mission! Thanks for the vote of confidence though :)

Saturday 1st September (22 miles @ 8:10-20)
    22 @ 8:10
    This is/was the longest LSR of the training plan and I basically just ignored its approach all week. Even when I was running, it was a mile-by-mile exercise. It was pretty warm and windy in the park this morning so it didn't make for the easiest of runs. Nothing overly exciting to report. Took a gel at mile 6, 12 & 18 as this was a dress rehearsal of sorts. Was thirsty for the gel at 18 but didn't feel I needed it for energy. Ran with Digs for about 11 miles before we went our separate ways (he was only doing 15 in the end). Oh I did get a stitch at about 18.5 miles but I just taken the gel and then hit a fast downhill section. The abs were pretty knotted for the last few miles but it was hard workout pain as opposed to something of concern. Was well pooped by the time I finished (new 22 mile PB of 2:59! :). Delighted that this went as well as could be expected after the past week. Legs wrecked now but only in a tough LSR way.

Time for a late afternoon fry-up :D

I was looking at the female half marathon qualifying time - sub 85 minutes. Am I right in thinking that you are less than 3 mins away from that (hope the maths are right now :rolleyes:).?

claralara wrote: »
    I had to go and look that up after reading your post... I then ha to laugh in shock and disbelief.. there's some amount of work to be done before I could even dream of marathon mission! Thanks for the vote of confidence though :)

Saturday 1st September (22 miles @ 8:10-20)
    22 @ 8:10
    This is/was the longest LSR of the training plan and I basically just ignored its approach all week. Even when I was running, it was a mile-by-mile exercise. It was pretty warm and windy in the park this morning so it didn't make for the easiest of runs. Nothing overly exciting to report. Took a gel at mile 6, 12 & 18 as this was a dress rehearsal of sorts. Was thirsty for the gel at 18 but didn't feel I needed it for energy. Ran with Digs for about 11 miles before we went our separate ways (he was only doing 15 in the end). Oh I did get a stitch at about 18.5 miles but I just taken the gel and then hit a fast downhill section. The abs were pretty knotted for the last few miles but it was hard workout pain as opposed to something of concern. Was well pooped by the time I finished (new 22 mile PB of 2:59! :). Delighted that this went as well as could be expected after the past week. Legs wrecked now but only in a tough LSR way.

Time for a late afternoon fry-up :D

I was looking at the female half marathon qualifying time - sub 85 minutes. Am I right in thinking that you are less than 3 mins away from that (hope the maths are right now :rolleyes:).?

Is it not 78 minutes or something?

claralara wrote: »

Is it not 78 minutes or something?

Hope I'm not wrong. I was looking at an article from early August - "marathon mission spreading it's wings". ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »

Oh Jesus! Surely loads of people make that standard?!

Anyway I'll focus on getting to, through, and home from, Berlin in one piece first! :)

Advertisement