Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

kit3 wrote: »
    Hope I'm not wrong. I was looking at an article from early August - "marathon mission spreading it's wings". ?

Well I certainly won't be hitting any of those times before next Saturday anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

claralara wrote: »
    Saturday 1st September (22 miles @ 8:10-20)
    22 @ 8:10
    This is/was the longest LSR of the training plan and I basically just ignored its approach all week. Even when I was running, it was a mile-by-mile exercise. It was pretty warm and windy in the park this morning so it didn't make for the easiest of runs. Nothing overly exciting to report. Took a gel at mile 6, 12 & 18 as this was a dress rehearsal of sorts. Was thirsty for the gel at 18 but didn't feel I needed it for energy. Ran with Digs for about 11 miles before we went our separate ways (he was only doing 15 in the end). Oh I did get a stitch at about 18.5 miles but I just taken the gel and then hit a fast downhill section. The abs were pretty knotted for the last few miles but it was hard workout pain as opposed to something of concern. Was well pooped by the time I finished (new 22 mile PB of 2:59! :). Delighted that this went as well as could be expected after the past week. Legs wrecked now but only in a tough LSR way.

Time for a late afternoon fry-up :D

Well done CL, that's a great LSR to get in the bank before Berlin. Common sense prevailed over here and I stuck to the lemsip, although I did find it v weird having spare time/energy on a Saturday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Oh Jesus! Surely loads of people make that standard?!

7 women in last year's Dublin half under 85 minutes - 3 FS, 1 F35, 3 F40

The men's qualifying time is 75 minutes, and there were 21 in Dublin last year
    9 MS, 7 M35, 3 M40, 2 M45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great run today. I did 21.5 miles in the afternoon and the wind was a total killer, especially during the MP parts, I felt my legs just weren't recovered from the weekend.

Definitely go for that Marathon mission. At your rate of improvement you'll hit sub 85 HM at the next attempt, the sub 39 10k looks very achievable for you too. Maybe find a nice flat 10k before christmas or else do the waterford half?

macinalli wrote: »
    Well done CL, that's a great LSR to get in the bank before Berlin. Common sense prevailed over here and I stuck to the lemsip, although I did find it v weird having spare time/energy on a Saturday morning!

You were dead right - it's too close to race day to make silly training decisions. Hope you're feeling better this week :)
    RayCun wrote: »
    7 women in last year's Dublin half under 85 minutes - 3 FS, 1 F35, 3 F40

The men's qualifying time is 75 minutes, and there were 21 in Dublin last year
    9 MS, 7 M35, 3 M40, 2 M45
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Great run today. I did 21.5 miles in the afternoon and the wind was a total killer, especially during the MP parts, I felt my legs just weren't recovered from the weekend.

Definitely go for that Marathon mission. At your rate of improvement you'll hit sub 85 HM at the next attempt, the sub 39 10k looks very achievable for you too. Maybe find a nice flat 10k before christmas or else do the waterford half?

All very interesting food for thought... lot's of work still to do :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sunday 2nd September (6 miles recovery)
    AM 2.8 @ 21:09 :rolleyes:
    Following my last hurrah before Berlin which included quite a few alcoholic beverages (what a Joe Duffy mammy might call a 'binge drinking session'...;)) my hungover head was dragged out of bed for a Sunday morning fried brunch and a stroll up to Kilmashogue. Legs were pooped and head was banging but I'm sure the sunshine and fresh air helped on some level..!

PM 6 @ 9:14
    Satisfied that the hangover had dissipated and the enormous feed had digested, I headed out with Digger for this recovery. Just took it really handy and got the blood flowing. Legs felt as good as they could/should have after Saturday's LSR so I was happy out. Had a bit of a dull nagging stitch in and around the area where one might find their liver... I'll put that down to dehydration :pac:

I'm very happy with last week's training. A tough enough 54 mile week after the half marathon and all went well. No niggles, just a bit of fatigue - nothing that plenty of food, water and sleep couldn't help. :D

Oh I ended up doing a 10 mile round trip on the bike on Friday rest day in the end. Was suffering from a major dose of cabin/computer screen fever so when I got a call to meet Digger for a skinny mocha choco latte frappucino and carrot cake I took the opportunity to get some fresh air!

So... the slave driver sent through the training plan for the week. It looks interesting (and mildly terrifying!).

Despite the fact I still have 2 hard weeks and 2 weeks of taper to go, the madness is setting in already. Everything is coming together nicely so staying safe, well and fit for the next four weeks is crucial! Aargh!

Legs are tired today but actually really looking forward to today's run :)

I have 2 toenails that have been threatening to divorce my feet since the 20 miler a couple of weeks ago. I thought I'd be ok but it looks like they're afraid of flying and won't be joining me in Berlin :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

IN your race report you mentioned the thrill of running behind the car with the clock.
    At the quadrathon in Donegal at the weekend the car doubled back for the slower runners at the back and on a few occasions I was running behind it . The time was a bit embarrassing and I hopee people might have thought it was an ultra, but I was thinking of you running behind it in Longford.:D

IN your race report you mentioned the thrill of running behind the car with the clock.
    At the quadrathon in Donegal at the weekend the car doubled back for the slower runners at the back and on a few occasions I was running behind it . The time was a bit embarrassing and I hopee people might have thought it was an ultra, but I was thinking of you running behind it in Longford.:D

I'm not sure it was as much a thrill as it was a fear and mortification. Haha. I was genuinley embarrassed that the person driving it would be cursing me because they had to drive so slowly!!

Well done on the quadrathon! You guys are insane... Though never say never eh?! ;):D

Monday 3rd September (8 miles easy)
    8 @ 8:15
    Today I went MENTAL and did my laps of Marlay in the opposite direction. Watch out kids there's a wildchild rebel on the loose! :rolleyes: Big session planned for tomorrow so was conscious not to expend too much energy. Really comfortable and legs feeling good. Right knee took about 5 minutes to warm up - I think that's a result of the couple of traily bits I did on Saturday as there was a bit of hopping about with tree roots. Got a teeny fright but I think that's a prime symptom of my early-onset-taper-madness...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Just 4 weeks to go?? That's fantastic! You are so ready!! Now it's all about the finishing touches on all the hard work you've put in. :) Enjoy these next few weeks and know the hard work is done. You're nearly there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Great stuff recently CL. Looking good for Berlin and beyond.

Be careful, i bet Sportsworld have you lined up for XC races like the Gerry Farnan and the Novices/Nationals, best not to let it interfere with your progression, i'm sure your coach has a plan for you which may or may not include XC.

How does Digger feel about you moving to Oregon to train with Salazar? ;)

Tuesday 4th September (12-14 miles incl 3*3 mile reps @ MP w/1 mile recovery jog... yes... :eek: - my sentiments exactly!!)
    14.5 @ 7:40 (total overall average)
    Headed over to the park of a lovely windy and sunny morning. Ran just over 2.5 miles on my own as a warm up at about 8:15 pace. Then met up The Slave Driver The Road Runner so that he could sabotage my session :rolleyes: It was difficult to pace evenly with the hills and the wind in the park but we managed it alright (ish). I'm awaiting confirmation of the splits but as far as I know, we only hit the planned pace once (on the second last mile) and each of the other 8 miles were too fast...oops. The intention of the 1 mile jog between sets was to simulate hitting a low spot in the marathon and having to pick it up again...jaysus it was tough. First set was grand, I was happy and comfortable and chatting away. Second set started off grand until I started ranting about something has been wrecking my head recently; in between my anger and forgetting to focus and breathe, I started to get a stitch so I tried to stay quiet for a while. The legs were feeling it for the last few metres of the second set so was glad of the recovery. However, that recovery mile really did its job and starting the last mile was a slog. Got stuck into it though and the legs loosened up. About 3/4 of the way into the first mile, a monstrous hunger pang hit me and it took about 5 minutes to pass - not pleasant. The core was in knots by the end of the third set so I was glad when the watch beeped and we stopped. Phew! Half a mile warm down back to the car and I bid the sadist and his sadistic pal adieu, downed a litre of water and headed off to drown my sorrows with a coffee and a feed. Felt pretty good afterwards. Threw the calf gaurds on for the evening for the craic but didn't really feel like I needed them. Twas a tough ole session but good 'un nonetheless :)

I see your keeping us in suspense as to what MP is :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Just 4 weeks to go?? That's fantastic! You are so ready!! Now it's all about the finishing touches on all the hard work you've put in. :) Enjoy these next few weeks and know the hard work is done. You're nearly there. :D

3 weeks, 4 days, 9 hours, 53 minutes and 38 seconds :eek::D:eek::D
    Great stuff recently CL. Looking good for Berlin and beyond.

Be careful, i bet Sportsworld have you lined up for XC races like the Gerry Farnan and the Novices/Nationals, best not to let it interfere with your progression, i'm sure your coach has a plan for you which may or may not include XC.

How does Digger feel about you moving to Oregon to train with Salazar? ;)

Cheers Brian! :)

Interesting point re XC... I haven't heard anything about it nor have I given it any huge thought. Just been focusing on getting through Berlin. I'll have to sit down and have a good think about the plan after that. Will be picking the brains of people around these parts no doubt.

Digger's cool about Oregon. He was originally a little upset to learn that he'd have to live in a tent and feed off the land, but now that I'm looking into purchasing a top of the range sleeping bag to keep him warm during the cold wet winter, it's all good. I might throw him an autograph every so often so he can sell it for some Guinness money. ;)

I see you're keeping us in suspense as to what MP is :D

I'm keeping myself in suspense! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You know, 7:30 min/mile actually seems almost too easy for you....which is pretty mind blowing when you do the math. You will rock this marathon!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

They are big fans of XC in Sportsworld... the Novices will be too soon after Berlin for you, but you could give the Intermediates a shot in November. (The standard is just the same really)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Fabulous LSR pace at the weekend. And as for that session yesterday :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

You know, 7:30 min/mile actually seems almost too easy for you....!!!! :D

It's practically recovery pace for her nowadays 8-/

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    Fabulous LSR pace at the weekend. And as for that session yesterday :eek:

Sure you weren't far off it on your own LSR on Sunday speedy pants - that was a great one to get under the belt :)
    Tuesday 4th September (12-14 miles incl 3*3 mile reps @ MP w/1 mile recovery jog... yes... :eek: - my sentiments exactly!!)
    14.5 @ 7:40 (total overall average)
    Headed over to the park of a lovely windy and sunny morning. Ran just over 2.5 miles on my own as a warm up at about 8:15 pace. Then met up The Slave Driver The Road Runner so that he could sabotage my session :rolleyes: It was difficult to pace evenly with the hills and the wind in the park but we managed it alright (ish). I'm awaiting confirmation of the splits but as far as I know, we only hit the planned pace once (on the second last mile) and each of the other 8 miles were too fast...oops. The intention of the 1 mile jog between sets was to simulate hitting a low spot in the marathon and having to pick it up again...jaysus it was tough. First set was grand, I was happy and comfortable and chatting away. Second set started off grand until I started ranting about something has been wrecking my head recently; in between my anger and forgetting to focus and breathe, I started to get a stitch so I tried to stay quiet for a while. The legs were feeling it for the last few metres of the second set so was glad of the recovery. However, that recovery mile really did its job and starting the last mile was a slog. Got stuck into it though and the legs loosened up. About 3/4 of the way into the first mile, a monstrous hunger pang hit me and it took about 5 minutes to pass - not pleasant. The core was in knots by the end of the third set so I was glad when the watch beeped and we stopped. Phew! Half a mile warm down back to the car and I bid the sadist and his sadistic pal adieu, downed a litre of water and headed off to drown my sorrows with a coffee and a feed. Felt pretty good afterwards. Threw the calf gaurds on for the evening for the craic but didn't really feel like I needed them. Twas a tough ole session but good 'un nonetheless :)

Correction - there was one mile slower than planned! Actual splits for the 14 miles were...

3 w/u miles: 8:34 / 8:35 / 8:18
    Round 1: 7.06 / 7.22 / 7.13 (recovery 8:20)
    Round 2: 7.15 / 7.12 / 7.03 (recovery 8:20)
    Round 3: 7.11 / 7.20 / 7.09

And OUT!
    (plus the half mile easy back to the car park)
    I see your keeping us in suspense as to what MP is :D

:cool:

You know, 7:30 min/mile actually seems almost too easy for you....which is pretty mind blowing when you do the math. You will rock this marathon!!!! :D

Good thing I do the math thing good...:eek:

digger2d2 wrote: »

I'm actually due a 3.1 mile recovery on the 23rd September; do you want me to pace you to a 5K PB in Rathfarnham?! 8-/

Wednesday 5th September (6 miles recovery)
    6 @ 8:55
    A little fast for recovery but I had a light breeze to my back for the majority of it so that explains it and I'll take no scolding! :)

digger2d2 wrote: »

I'm actually due a 3.1 mile recovery on the 23rd September; do you want me to pace you to a 5K PB in Rathfarnham?! 8-/

No thanks, the last time I ran a 5k race with you it was mortifying, your breathing sounded like a donkey!

Sure you weren't far off it on your own LSR on Sunday speedy pants - that was a great one to get under the belt :)

Correction - there was one mile slower than planned! Actual splits for the 14 miles were...

3 w/u miles: 8:34 / 8:35 / 8:18
    Round 1: 7.06 / 7.22 / 7.13 (recovery 8:20)
    Round 2: 7.15 / 7.12 / 7.03 (recovery 8:20)
    Round 3: 7.11 / 7.20 / 7.09

And OUT!
    (plus the half mile easy back to the car park)

:cool:

I'm in trouble in berlin so :o. When I did this session last weekend (3 x 5k) there was absolutely no chat on the MP bits, i reckon you will go even quicker on the day, but the above pace gets you round in Sub 3:10.

I'm in trouble in berlin so :o. When I did this session last weekend (3 x 5k) there was absolutely no chat on the MP bits, i reckon you will go even quicker on the day, but the above pace gets you round in Sub 3:10.

She already has a sightseeing itinerary drawn up for whilst she's waiting for me to finish :eek:

....skipping your own training session to roll around the Phoenix Park on an ass-numbing saddle for 3 hours carrying all of the water, gels, cereal bars, salty pretzels etc that one Digger might need during the most sadistic 20 mile training run that one could possibly devise!

The above says it all really. My plan was a 6-8 mile recovery before a nasty 20 miler early on Friday morning. Social engagements meant that this long one had to be out of the way well in advance of the weekend. Digger, not being a fan of the early morning running, opted for the Thursday evening slot. I, being a wonderful supportive human being, agreed to accompany him on 2 wheels and figure out getting my own run in at some stage. The only incident of note was falling off my bike on Military Hill less than 2 miles in - I think Digs may have intentionally knocked my chain off when he was putting my front wheel back on which had been removed for transportation purposes -this Berlin competition is getting nasty..:mad: Anyway to make a short story long, I stopped to answer my phone and when I set off again I hit the deck in some very unladylike manouevre. The result was a very bloody knee, dirty greasy handprints all over my shiny white bike and clothes and then having to cycle around for two and a half hours looking like I'd just left the coal mines :o There's not much to report from my side - I dutifully kept him fueled and watered, while he used the clothes on my back as a sweat rag, and he got through a really tough session. I enjoyed a little picnic on Chesterfield Avenue as he set off on a couple of nasty HMP miles...bleugh :D My rear end was pretty sore by the time we were finished so between that and the fall, I was a little concerned about my own session which was at that stage less than 12 hours away :-/ My own run was replaced with a big feed of chicken and pasta and an early night!

Friday 7th September (18-20 miles - 8 easy, 6 @ MP, 1 recovery, 2 @ HMP, 3 cool down)
    20 @ 7:54 (total overall average)

I had left everything ready the night before because I knew there'd be no time for faffing around if I was going to get this bad boy done. Fell into my gear when the alarm went off for the second time at 6:58am, took one bite of a cereal bar and a mouthful of water and headed out the door. I had purposely stuffed my face and had a fair bit of water just before bed so I knew I was pretty well fueled. It was a dull and windy ole morning but I knew I'd be warm in no time.

For the sake of my mental health, I split this run into 5 separate runs and just focused on getting through each one individually. I took an isogel at 5 miles as per the plan. I have found doing long runs around Dublin can be mentally tough because it's so small - after 8 miles I found myself in Clondalkin. First 8 miles were 8:27,8:17, 8:10, 8:08, 8:07, 8:15, 8:20, 8:20 - I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pretty wrecked after these - I was working way harder than I think I should have been but then again I was pretty creaky having just gotten out of bed.

Then, as if being in Clondalkin wasn't bad enough, I was just about to start the MP section uphill and into the wind. I could have turned around and taken an easy route but that would have been a copout so I kept going. After a couple of miles, there was a bit of reprieve from the wind; it was over my shoulder and the road flattened out a bit so I was glad I'd put my back into it at the start. Took another isogel at 10 miles - this was the first time I'd tried to take at a pace faster than LSR and it was a bit fidgety but I needed to practice. The MP miles were a little fast and I was fecked finishing them. Trying to cross the road at the Walkinstown Roundabout 5.5 miles into the MP section was a right pain. Splits for this section -7:13, 7:17, 7:13, 7:08, 7:19, 7:16.

The recovery mile was a little fast but much welcomed and an opportunity to take the last gel of the day (just before the 15 mile mark) - 8:27.

I was just outside Bushy Park when the time came to hit the HMP miles which was perfect timing. These 2 miles blew! I couldn't get keep the pace at the pace I had run for an entire half marathon less than 2 weeks previous - should have been 6:44/5 and it was TOUGH! I had a really bad stitch for the last half mile and just couldn't (didn't:o) push any harder - 6:51, 6:48.

Last 3 miles were a nice steady climb home. I just trotted home nice and easy, basically letting the legs do whatever the flock they wanted - 8:51, 8:33, 8:27.

This session was hard going but a great one for the confidence. Legs were tired and lower back was a little sore when I finished but I came around for a few hours. Was starving and exhausted in the afternoon but an outdoor power nap while Digger was "fishing":rolleyes: in the Boyne sorted me out again. So all in all, not too much damage done :D

Saturday 8th September (rest or 30 minutes recovery)
    3.1 @ 9:50
    A pre-breakfast run to loosen out the grandma legs which had deadened completely overnight - probably the hardest yuckiest run of the week. The blood was just starting to flow as we were finishing but they were fooked!!

Legs are still a bit heavy and achy today so hopefully a good recovery this evening will sort them right out.

I can't believe race day is so close now...:eek:

• Advertisement

[
    Then, as if being in Clondalkin wasn't bad enough, I was just about to start the MP section uphill and into the wind.

:mad: Clondalkin is a lovely place you foxrock snob.

The canal at Clondalkin has turned into something like santa Ponza over the last few days with all the young ones drinking and taking a dip at the Locks. I was up running along the canal yesterday and shared the path with some lovely young lads who were racing their ponies barchested up and down the path while simultaneously drinking cans and smoking fags. A nicer buch of folks you'll never meet :p

Advertisement