Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'm getting so excited for you!!!!!! :D

AAAAAAAARRGGGHH!! :eek::(:D:mad::confused:;):):(

I don't know what I am at this stage. I'd feel better if I didn't think I was coming down with stage 2 Spanish flu*...

Monday 24th September (6 miles - 2 easy, 2 @ HMP, 2 easy)
    6.4 @ 7:55
    Was hoping to get a break from the sub-zero* temperatures and driving rain at some stage today for this run but no such luck. Eventually headed out wrapped up like an Eskimo* when Digs got home from his honest* day's work at 6pm. Headed over to Marlay taking it nice and handy (prob around an 8:20 average for the first 2 miles). Headed off for the 'keep the legs interested' HMP miles on my todge as Digs was looking after his "faster than Meno legs". I suppose the pace should have been about 6:45. First mile was uphill and yuck (6:55), second mile had the nice downhill but was yuckier (6:35). Legs felt good; lungs not so much. I'm hoping that was just the external cold air, and not an internal chesty issue. Last couple of miles home were grand and easy (about 8:20 again I'd say). I bought an entire new fleece-lined wardrobe today in a bid to get to me to this start line in one wonderful insane piece. There's only so much I can do though so I'd appreciate if the CRAZED child who was running down MY road with a wolf* on a lead would make himself scarce while I remain in the country this week. The same sentiment refers to the witch* who thinks it is her God-given right to walk her mutt on an 8ft* lead in my direct path. And if somebody could pop a remedy for leprosy and Spanish flu in the post for me, it would be much appreciated.

I think that's my lot for the minute. :)

*Mild hyperbole is permitted in final week of taper :D

Tuesday 25th September (Rest)
    Rest
    This 'resting' is getting out of control!
    If only my appetite would take a bloody rest!!
    Will be rolling around the streets of Berlin at this rate!!!

4 days, 13 hours, 27minutes and 58 seconds!!!!

I need to get out of this house!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I just got back from BOTH the running store and the bike shop (taper madness is forcing me to shop!!) and both places are advertising a Donut Dash - thought of you!!! Basically, it's a 5k run but you get so many seconds deducted from your time for every donut you eat. And these donuts are the real deal - locally made. OMG.....I may have to sign up! You can even sign up as a team....wouldn't that be a blast??

Oh, but back to Berlin. You will smash it and look fabulous in your fleece!! Oh god...and an image of his-and-hers matching fleece outfits just popped in my mind. Please, please tell me Digs did not go with fleece too!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I just got back from BOTH the running store and the bike shop (taper madness is forcing me to shop!!) and both places are advertising a Donut Dash - thought of you!!! Basically, it's a 5k run but you get so many seconds deducted from your time for every donut you eat. And these donuts are the real deal - locally made. OMG.....I may have to sign up! You can even sign up as a team....wouldn't that be a blast??

Oh, but back to Berlin. You will smash it and look fabulous in your fleece!! Oh god...and an image of his-and-hers matching fleece outfits just popped in my mind. Please, please tell me Digs did not go with fleece too!! ;)

Digs doesn't do nightwear, fleece or not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Good luck at the weekend

I hope the keyboard is taperring this week too for the race report next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Very best of luck in Berlin - looking forward to the race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck CL, looking forward to your amazing report :D Have a fantastic weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck over the weekend. don't forget to hang around at the finish line replenishing the system with plenty of Weissbeir and Bratwurst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck at the weekend. Your training and sheer improvement over the last six months has been mind blowing. The hard work is done now all that is left is to reap the rewards you deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Remember: it's not about your finish time, it's about how good you look in the race photographs. Instead of gels, bring a little touch-up make-up kit, a compact mirror, and some kind of glitter-stuff so that you sparkle as you cross the finish line.

Boys only
    Right Digger and Meno, I've done my bit. The rest is up to you.

Have a wonderful race Orna. I hope it'll be the cracker that tops-off your break-out year. Remember to have a blast during the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Remember: it's not about your finish time, it's about how good you look in the race photographs. Instead of gels, bring a little touch-up make-up kit, a compact mirror, and some kind of glitter-stuff so that you sparkle as you cross the finish line.

Boys only
    Right Digger and Meno, I've done my bit. The rest is up to you.

Have a wonderful race Orna. I hope it'll be the cracker that tops-off your break-out year. Remember to have a blast during the race.

No doubt 95% of tRR's coaching was about how to perfect the windmill, returning to the scene of the crime 12 months on:D

And in case he hasnt taught you:

http://mysports.tv/events/BM11/platform.asp?e=BM11M&n=David+Fitzpatrick&r=9568&l=EN&tp_f=l&ct_s1=09:00:05&nt_s1=00:00:00&ct_s2=09:18:54&nt_s2=00:18:50&ct_s3=09:37:49&nt_s3=00:37:44&ct_s4=09:56:39&nt_s4=00:56:35&ct_s5=10:15:33&nt_s5=01:15:28&ct_s6=10:19:37&nt_s6=01:19:32&ct_s7=10:34:22&nt_s7=01:34:18&ct_s8=10:53:00&nt_s8=01:52:55&ct_s9=11:11:26&nt_s9=02:11:22&ct_s10=11:29:21&nt_s10=02:29:17&ct_f=11:36:49&nt_f=02:36:45&k=finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good hunting on Sunday morning kid, give it socks and don't doubt yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck CL. Show them boys how its done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Best of luck for Sunday CL. Don't get caught up in the hype and you'll be grand :)

Are you going for your 2011 slogan 'I'm following Fagan' or has the new 2012 one been unleashed 'I'm chasing Fagan' :D

Wednesday 26th September (6 miles - 2 easy, 2 @ MP, 2 easy)
    6 @ 8:10
    Hooked up with Meno and Digs for this one for some pre-race mind-fcuking... :D Took it nice and handy for the 2 miles up to Marlay (c. 8:40 pace maybe?) during which time I tried to convince Meno that my recent fighting talk is no more than a girl with too much time on her hands trying to keep herself entertained :rolleyes: When we hit the park we each set off on our MP miles solo. I was tempted to run on our great leader's shoulder just for the craic but that would have been HMP for me so I saw sense. The 2 MP miles felt good - 7:12 (uphill) and 7:02 (downhill) - legs were strong, although the breathing wasn't 100%. The 2 miles home were really handy (c. 8:45 perhaps) and should have been as easy as pie. Unfortunately I got a whole load of knots in my core - I'm putting it down to dehydration (had had a fair few coffees during the day and a maximum of one mouthful of water) as well as losing rhythm coming off the faster pace. Fingers and toes and everything else crossed that that side of things behaves on Sunday. Plenty of water between now and then.

....and your enemies closer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Wishing you the best of luck for Sunday and it all goes to plan for you. Your dedicatiion and training will see you good!
    Don't forget to "enjoy" and smile!! Looking forward to the race report already!!:D

ecoli wrote: »

Haha!! That is GAS! Watching it cost about 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back but I'm sure there was some worthwhile motivation in there somewhere!

If I have that much energy left at the finish line I think I'll be off the roll for not trying hard enough ;)

And the music...wow! ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    No doubt 95% of tRR's coaching was about how to perfect the windmill, returning to the scene of the crime 12 months on:D

Herself and digger are like Jedi knights, their training is incomplete until they perfect the perfect windmill:) People are of the opinion that I should be embarrassed by those shenanigans, I've even had a former club mate ask me did I regret doing it. The only thing I regret is not doing the two arm windmill. I had actually decided to do a cartwheel by mile 25 but I had to break my bollox to beat that little girl/bloke who finished just behind me so I went for a compromise.
    claralara wrote: »
    Haha!! That is GAS! Watching it cost about 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back but I'm sure there was some worthwhile motivation in there somewhere!

If I have that much energy left at the finish line I think I'll be off the roll for not trying hard enough ;)

And the music...wow! ha!

If you think that is bad follow the links for the photos after the finish line :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

best of luck, enjoyed reading your blog.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck O! Hope you have a fantastic run - your training deserves it. Looking forward to the report - and hearing about how many you chicked on the way to the finish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Wishing you the very very best of running for you on the day. Y ou deserve it . You are a great inspiration for many of us .

I know you will cross the finish line in a blaze of glory:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Best of luck CL

all the blokes (myself included) will want to know which marathon you are running next....so we can avoid it and the threat of a good chicking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Best of luck on Sunday. Sure you'll blow us all away with your performance as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

good luck Sunday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hope all that carb loading you put up on facebook pays off. Good luck. Whatever happens just don't get oaped. He's a dark horse that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Hope all that carb loading you put up on facebook pays off. Good luck. Whatever happens just don't get oaped. He's a dark horse that one.

That's just the truncheon :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck O, I've no doubt but that you'll do amazingly well AGAIN! Have a great time.

• Advertisement

Thanks so so much for all the good wishes guys! Really motivating :) I’ll be thinking of y’all and hopefully will be back on Tuesday with a good story to tell after wind-milling my ass over that finish line! I can almost taste it!

Thursday 27th September (Rest)
    Rest – last one before the big day thank God. I went to town on the junk food yesterday... It was mildly disgraceful... Either the fat and glycogen stores are will be overflowing and raring to go on Sunday morning, or else I’ll well and truly be rolling around the course... we shall see!

Friday 28th September (4 miles very easy w/ 4*1min hardish (c.10k pace))
    4 miles @ 8:50 (all in)
    Up and out bright and early for this as getting through the “to-do” list was likely to take up the entire day. I took it really really handy. Jogged about 2 miles and then did the 4*1 minute intervals w/a 1-2 minute recovery jog in between – pace probably averaged about 6.25 for the intervals. Legs were good generally though they could feel the intervals for a few seconds after each one. Altogether though, it took nothing out of me.

Had a good session with Ciaran Fitz afterwards during which I may not have been at my most polite... :o I’m sure he’s used to it though :)

I spent the day in total ‘organisatron’ mode going through everything ten times over. I think I may have killed a small forest amid all of my pedantic information printing. Ah sure I’ll plant a tree in the back garden next week to make up for it! ;)

And then I met Marthastew for a lovely spontaneous late lunch. We massacred a couple of courses in Wagamammas courtesy of a previous hot mama win of MS’s :) A wonderful hour of chatting, excitement and carbo-loading.

I’m pretty much ready to go now: car park booked, boarding passes printed, passports and money safe (phew Dave!), gels and Barrys teabags in a lunch box, race clothes and runners in the carry-on back pack, all other belongings in the checked luggage, garmins charged, maps and accommodation details folder-ised... I think I’ll put on my pace band now just to make sure it’s well and truly etched into the memory come Sunday?!

On the red eye in the morning so fingers crossed everything goes off without a hitch. Excited now...

BRING IT ON!! :D AAARGH :D

Advertisement