Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

OMFG...I've just lost my epic update!! :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »

Awww :(

Pheew....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

But we were sitting here ready for you.

1258823621202931.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

OMFG...I've just lost my epo !!! :(:(

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Tard
    ! :P

• Advertisement

Thursday 15 November (5k Specific Speed Workout)
    My performance in (and how I felt before during and after) the Leinster Inter XC the previous Sunday has me itching to improve leg speed. I know it’s going to be tough with some nasty sessions but I’m willing to put in the work. With this in mind, and with the intention of gauging where I’m at, Super Coach sent me out to do a 3 x Sets of 600 – 400 – 200 w/ 2 mins recovery between reps and 4 mins recovery between sets. The arbitrary times picked from thin air were (in seconds!) 130 – 85 – 40. I didn’t run to prescribed pace because, quite frankly, I didn’t have the energy to spare to look at the watch. I just put as much as I could into each one without worrying about wasting energy I might have needed to finish off the session. The path was slightly uphill – no mountain but definitely noticeable in a speed session. The wind was alright to start but picked up for the last set.

Set 1: 132 – 86 41

Set 2: 133 – 89 – 42

Set 3: 133 – 90 – 42

I’d be lying if I didn’t confess to be smashed by the end of it! It was a decent hard session though. We walked back to the start after each rep so a fair amount of ground was covered.

Total (running) incl w/u was a meagre 3.5 miles

Friday 16 November (Rest)
    Rest – No pieday

Saturday 17 November (30 mins easy w/strides)
    3.45 @ 8:53
    No real recollection of this except from the fact that it was early and Digs abandoned me for the strides to leggit home to the potty… ;) I do remember that it preceded the most delicious FULL Irish I’ve had in a long time though. Mmmm…

The afternoon was spent at a family christening whereat I drank coffee and had to refrain from the most amazing chocolate biscuit cake that was on offer. Tear. The night was spent in the boozer for my ‘baby’ sister’s going-away drinks. I had the pleasure of drinking copious amounts of sparkling Ballygowen while the rest of the clar got smashed to Digger’s sweet serenades…

Sunday 18 November (Dublin Intermediate XC Championships - 4,000m)
    I was not looking forward to running in this race. The Dublin Novice was terrifying; the Dublin Intermediates could surely only be worse. The race the week before had been less than pleasant for the reasons already set out in that update. The plan this week was to go out hard and hold on i.e. the same as the plan the week before. Thank God there was at least a blood flow in my legs this time around. I ran from home down to Tymon so I got a good easy 2 mile warm up. The legs felt a lot better from the off than they had the week before. My strides felt looser and lighter and I was a lothappier at the start line (relatively speaking of course – is one ever ‘happy’ at the start line?!) There were only four of us running from the club which put the pressure on as we all needed to run well if the team was to score. I went out hard and got myself into a decent position. I thought I was in fifth but the winner had gone out so fast that she was out of sight within 200m! Ahead of me (minus the winner) there was a Crusaders vest, a Rathfarnham vest and two Sportsworld vests. At this stage the intricacies of the race are a blur. There was a good long drag into a decent headwind to start and I held onto my position. Then came a short sharp downhill and with that, a Crusaders vest and a Donore vest thundered past me arms flailing (and so I discovered yet another thing I need to work on!). I tried to keep those two within touching distance and managed to pass them on the next incline. To be honest, all I can really remember of the race is wind and hills and shuffling of positions and pain!It was sore but that was the intention. In the interim my other club mate had passed me and I was hanging on for dear life. She finished just ahead of me. There was plenty of Digger/TRR/club support on the laps which were a good boost – I must publicly apologise for showing Digs ‘The Hand’ at one stage but I just did not to hear ‘run faster - catch the girl in front’ at that particular point in time! I think it was the best XC race I’ve run in terms of not holding back and depending on my endurance. It was the same distance as the Leinsters the week before (4000m) and I ran it about a minute and a quarter faster (I actually measured 4,400 on the Garmin – which I didn’t look at once during the race but I wore so I could look back on). I was fourth crossing the line from the club which got us a Team Silver medal – I would have liked to be third but c’est la vie! Next time.

Vital Statistics: ;)
    Time: 17:40
    Position: 10/42
    Team: 2nd
    w/27 points –we brought home another medal so happy days!

Monday 19 November (40 mins easy)
    I knew I’d be stuck for time as I had to go home to see my sister who was heading off to Oz on Tuesday - I decided to take a rest day and not be stressing about missing a run. Originally she wasn’t supposed to be going until after Christmas but then circumstances changed and she shipped out in quite a short period of time. Because she was now going to miss Christmas (which is a big family occasion chez CL) my parents got a Christmas Tree farmed early and put it up with the help of Digs last week. Then on Monday Mum made a proper Christmas dinner – turkey and ham. Brussels sprouts and all!! Dessert was mince pies and pudding and there were even presents, cards and squealing Christmas songs! It was the most bizarre November Monday night I've ever had! Really good fun though (apart from the snots and blubbering that was always going to follow!). I didn't break my November commitment but I did have a mince pie and some Christmas pudding which I felt a wee bit guilty over. Oh well! :)

Tuesday 20 November (skip club session for 6-10 * 200m w/ 200m slow recovery jog)
    I headed out to club so that I could get a lift home but I didn't take part in the session. I actually ran from the office to the clubhouse as its ten times quicker (approximately) and a bazillion times less stressful (scientifically proven). Just took it really easy for the 3 miles so the legs were grand and nicely warmed up. Then we headed down to the dodder where the non racers did hills and sprints, the racers went off for a steady run and the princess went off to find her own 200m track :) It was downwind and nice and flat. This was prescribed so that the legs would get a really good seeing to - I wasn't being lazy! I jogged back after each one so it was about 85 second recovery jog between reps. I managed the 10 even though I had been given a get-out-of-jail-free card if I was feeling wrecked :) - 38 / 39 / 39 / 39 / 40 / 38 / 39 / 40 / 39 / 37... Tried a couple of different strides/forms etc and defo felt more fluid and faster with the good long strides and loose arms. Although it'll be a while before I'm less elephant more gazelle on my feet!! Ran back to the club house for warm down.
    Total for the night: 8.7 miles (higher than I thought but felt grand).

Wednesday 21 November (40-50 mins easy)
    5.55 @ 8:36
    Back on the commuting-by-foot buzz and loved it! This was sooo handy - a 7am nice downhill trot into town on creaky morning/post session legs - a perfect recovery :)

Thursday 22 November (club session)
    Same again - ran out from work expecting a fartlek session - 3.1 @ 8:37
    1.7 mile w/u @ 8:46
    The actual session was 35 mins - 1 min on/1 min off. The lap was about 1.8 miles and contained a decent climb and corresponding descent and A LOT of wind!! I got stuck between groups and ended up running alone. I still pushed it though and ran 4.9 @ 7:08
    W/d was a lazy 0.4 @ 9:00
    Total for the night: 10.1 (whooops..:o)

Friday 22 November (Rest)
    5.4 @ 8:36
    Had swapped my rest day with Monday so ran into work this morning - lovely recovery again.

Am going to run the 5k in Malahide tomorrow, not in search of a PB, but more to give the legs, lungs and willpower a bashing in advance of the Jingle Bell goal next weekend. I've a good bit of running in the legs again this week so I'll do what I can to shock the body into submission for next week!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Awww :(

Pheew....
    But we were sitting here ready for you.

1258823621202931.jpg
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Tard
    ! :P
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    FYP

Funny lot aren't you?! Away now and bore yisser-selves to death with a glass of wine and a dairy milk in my honour!! :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Wow 10th in the Dublin intermediate. That's a great result, well done. How did you do in terms of your race finish percentile? ;)

Fair play for keeping November relatively clean, I don't know if I could stay sober and avoid cake at a family bash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wooo hooo!! Congrats ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Wooo hooo!! Congrats ;)

Just missed out on the course record. Must try harder ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR wrote: »

You're turning out to be a right cnut of a coach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Well done in Malahide today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the win today:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Well done in Malahide today, and thanks for cheering me in! (I was 2nd woman this morning, a long way behind you, but a PB for me, so delighted!) Didn't realise you were you, as it were, till I saw the updates here! Well run!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Fantastic win for you yesterday and a PB also:)
    Clean November is paying off, well done you:D

Am going to run the 5k in Malahide tomorrow, not in search of a PB, but more to give the legs, lungs and willpower a bashing in advance of the Jingle Bell goal next weekend. I've a good bit of running in the legs again this week so I'll do what I can to shock the body into submission for next week!

Well a PB in the end was a nice surprise :D

As I said, the plan was that this would be a race warm up - to see roughly where I was at and the level of pain I could handle, before Jingle Bells. Having not run a 5k race since the 2 X 21-22 minute disasters in May, I was glad there was no huge pressure on this one. My PB was 19:57 from the Celbridge 5k back in April. I wanted to run sub 20 again but wasn't sure how that would go.

Preparation wasn't completely adequate (Although this wasn't a goal race but part of the training cycle). I'd run a tough race and two hard sessions in the previous six days, as well as the highest weekly mileage I'd run in a while (albeit no where near what I was running two months ago!). We left the house a little later than planned after my breakfast of a granola bar and a black coffee. I had made the usual cup of tea, but somebody had accidentally defrosted the fridge the day before and the milk had turned and ruined my cuppa :( The temperature in the car read 1 degree and it wasn't long before that had dropped to 0.5 :eek: Brrr!! We arrived out at 9 with no idea where the start line was...whoops. We asked for directions from a runner who turned out to be RedRunner (what a small strange Boards world we live in!! :D) and found our way to the lads setting up at the start. We only ran about a mile of a w/u and I did a couple of strides i.e. completely insufficient and less than half of what I should have done. (Note to self: arrive earlier and more prepared next weekend).

The pre-race briefing was good and efficient, and we headed off to the start line. I lined up at front and the race started quick-smart; none of this hanging around craic on a freezing morning. I hadn't discussed race strategy at all with Digs because, as far I was concerned, he wasn't even supposed to be running it. So I really don't know how he ended up running beside me. In his mind he was pacing me; in my mind he was running with me for a good training session as he had consumed a feed of Guinness the night before. Anyway, we stayed side by side in silence.

I thought the course was brilliant - a couple of slight drags (and possibly net uphill) but it felt fairly flat to me. There were a couple of sharp turns which probably aren't the greatest in terms of a speedy 5k but they didn't bother me yesterday. The paths were in great condition and the 'traily' bits through the forest were a nice distraction.

I knew from the off that I was the first lady and I just wanted to keep it that way (competitive much?! :rolleyes::o) I wore my Garmin but didn't look at it once. I just wanted to run by feel and I think I ran very well. I felt very strong for the entire race and pushed on from Digger with about half a mile to go. I did push it over the last 500m and was breathing quite heavily for a 'sprint' finish. I probably should have pushed on earlier. In hindsight, I actually probably should have run a lot harder from the start but it's good to know there's more in the tank. I wouldn't have wanted to do myself a disservice before next weekend :cool: Recovery was ridiculously quick which is actually just as important and satisfying as the time I ran :)

Was delighted with my finishing time and couldn't believe I pulled a sub-20 out of the bag like that.

Vital Statistics:
    Time: 19:40
    (though the Garmin said 19:39...:rolleyes:) I'll take the 17 second PB though!
    Overall Position: 23 / 268 finishers
    Age & Gender Category Positions: 1st
    :D:D

Celebratory wine and chocolate will have to wait until next week!

It's so good to see progress like that. 6 months ago I had a sub-20 PB and thought I'd never run it again. Yesterday I ran that somewhat comfortably. I'm very interested to see what I could run when I go out hard hard for a proper 5k blow out.

Legs feel good today and just about to head out for a cold rainy 60-70 minute amble :D

Have to give a big thumbs up the organisers (who I've since discovered could be Peckham & Plodder?! I reiterate my sentiments above -what a small strange Boards world we live in!! :D) Great event, really well organised and perfectly measured course. Savage value for (no) money! Will definitely be back for more and will do my bit on the volunteering side too.

Wooo hooo!! Congrats ;)

Thanks! Must have really put your mind at ease that I ran so slowly!! :D;)

Have you seen my latest percentile standing? Is that not what's important these days?

Speaking of percentile standings, well done on your most recent ranking. Must feel good to place as a result of a DQ and not effort or ability.
    You're turning out to be a right cnut of a coach :D

+1
    Emer911 wrote: »
    Well done in Malahide today!
    Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on the win today:D

Cheers ladies! You should definitely consider a trip some Saturday morning - it's a brilliant little event :)
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    Well done in Malahide today, and thanks for cheering me in! (I was 2nd woman this morning, a long way behind you, but a PB for me, so delighted!) Didn't realise you were you, as it were, till I saw the updates here! Well run!

That's hilarious - I refer, yet again, to my small Boards world sentiment! Well done on your PB :)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Fantastic win for you yesterday and a PB also:)
    Clean November is paying off, well done you:D

Thanks hotstuff!Yeah, at least there's something positive resulting from the denying of the grape and the cocoa bean...:(

I just filled out December in the calendar though... it looks like I could be back running 25 minute 5k's by 2013 :o:eek:

I think I'll be having a pure detox January after the excessive dangers of the Christmas festivities!!

Have you seen my latest percentile standing? Is that not what's important these days?

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. I like to move the goal post so that I appear to have the upper hand. Fair play though you've won this time no matter how I try to twist your result......... Having said that I heard a bus full of DSD and crusaders ladies took a wrong turn and missed the race start. I'm just saying, not saying it would have effected the result or anything ;)
    Speaking of percentile standings, well done on your most recent ranking. Must feel good to place as a result of a DQ and not effort or ability.
    Thanks for your well wishes. Not my fault is somebody cheated, I'm like Carl Lewis in the '88 olympic final. He has the gold and I have my 10th place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

, I'm like Carl Lewis in the '88 olympic final.

You are a gay, black American man?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done in Malahide, you're rocketing away.

• Advertisement

You are a gay, black American man?

Nothing black about him when he was having a pi55 in Tymon last week, no doubt he'll be on to say it was cold etc. ;)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. I like to move the goal post so that I appear to have the upper hand. Fair play though you've won this time no matter how I try to twist your result......... Having said that I heard a bus full of DSD and crusaders ladies took a wrong turn and missed the race start. I'm just saying, not saying it would have effected the result or anything :)

They were the only reason I got out of bed.... DSD girls on a nippy morning :D

Sunday 25 November 60-70 mins easy
    Lovely weather for ducks this afternoon!! Was soaked to the bone within seconds. I gave up dodging puddles after about 200 metres and just sloshed on through my run. Went out with the 60-70 minute run plan so I hit start on the watch and switched the screen to just read the time. I really enjoyed this and the legs were in flying form - delighted with them this week. I think the marathon(s!) have finally worked their way out :) Pleasantly surprised with the 7:54 pace.

8.16 miles in c.64 mins - lovely jubbly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

PBs, medals, winning races, abstaining from cake..... you're just showing off now! :rolleyes::)

jcsmum wrote: »
    PBs, medals, winning races, abstaining from cake..... you're just showing off now! :rolleyes::)

I rang out November in style yesterday...it's all over now :o

Time for the 'tin of roses' chatter to begin again ;)

I'm actually in the middle of composing a very strongly worded letter to Cadburys having discovered that, not only have they reduced the amount of chocolate to 800g (incl wrappers), the tin itself is actually smaller! The Christmas tree lights won't even fit in when the contents have been scoffed!

Note to self: need to confirm distances and paces once the Garmin charges. Will edit later.

Monday 26 November (coach super session)
    Session (8 X 400m) was a real toughie but I gave it a good lash.
    Ran out of town from work – 3.31 @ 8:40 – so was well warmed up.
    Used the same 400m stretch that I used for the 600/400/200 last week except I did up and back which meant that the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th reps were ‘uphill’…ish. The 3rd rep was by far the hardest mentally and physically. For some reason I just wanted to stop from about 50m in. The headwind was fairly brutal for the 3rd and 5th. The even reps were far ‘easier’ (relatively) speaking. I was fooked by the end of the session. Really pushed the last pair (7th & 8th). Took 90-100 seconds rest between each and probably could have done with an anti-lactic recovery jog somewhere around halfway but I felt the hammies were more warning in firm hushed tones as opposed to screaming at me for such a recovery!
    Times: 83 / 82 / 87 / 84 / 87 / 83 / 85 /81

Total incl w/u & w/d - [TBC]

Tuesday 27 November (60-80 minutes easy)
    72 mins - 8.7x miles at 8.16
    Fairly hoored out of town so put the brakes on when I hit the gick and just took it real handy for the last 5+ miles. Passed the Knocklyon Joggers out for a couple of 330m strolls around Ballyboden ;) Would have liked to have run closer to 80 mins but was a teeny few mins later than planned getting out of the office and wanted to get home by 8.30. Legs were a little tired afterwards to be honest :(

Wednesday 28 November (coach super session part deux)
    W/u c.3 miles easy [TBC]
    4 sets of 300-200-150 (w/90 seconds recovery between reps & 2-3 mins recovery between sets)
    I can't really remember the ins and outs of this apart from the fact that I was bleedin wrecked after it. Timed the first two sets (59-40-30/60-41-30) but it was such a pain in the tush hitting the watch the whole time that I gave up on that and just ran as hard as I could for the last two. The last two sets were hard and they felt faster than the first two so I happy with the effort.

Total incl w/u & w/d - [TBC]

Thursday 29 November (30-40 minutes very easy)
    5.3x @ 8:3x [TBC]
    An icy early morning commute into the office. Luckily it was a recovery pace as I was like a high viz Bambi trying to avoid slipping!

Friday 30 November (Rest)
    Rest

Saturday 1 December (Jingle Bells 5k)
    A good hard effort and a PB of 19:30
    Happy with the time and performance on the day but definitely have more / better in me. Something went 'snap' in my right foot at the bottom of the hill turning onto the finishing straight and I can't walk today :(:(:( Proper report to follow after housework and Christmas shopping! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oi. Where the fudge where you today? I was told you'd be racing. Foot injury my foot.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I hope you're ok :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Can't walk but can Christmas shop?? What, is digs going to be pushing you around in a shopping cart then?

And gosh, your barely-a-week-old PB has hardly any dust on it, and now it's been replaced with a new one. We loved you old PB, but your day in the sun has passed and you now need wrinkle cream and lots of sun screen to protect you from the shiny shine of the new and improved PB. Congrats!

Don't anybody mention the word
    foot
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Don't anybody mention the word
    foot
    :eek:

Not good so! :( Too much Christmas shopping yesterday!:pac:

Advertisement