Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

claralara wrote: »
    Nope that wasn’t me – I opted for 20 minutes on the homemade gym on the landing this morning. However, had it been me I would definitely have waved, run across the road, embraced you, chatted, offered to run with you, smiled etc etc… Speak for yourself snobby!! ;);)

I didn’t get to update my log yesterday evening as I was too busy cleaning the bombsite that I live in. If you think a man is messy, consider a man with man flu *cough cough sniffle sniffle I’m-dying-and-you-don’t-even-care*. In fairness, he did make a roast dinner. But to counter that act of kindness, he did use every single piece of cutlery, pot, pan, plate and bowl that we have in our tiny kitchen. Also, as well as marinating the chicken, he marinated the counters; and as well as seasoning his plate of dinner, he seasoned the entire kitchen table! Deep breath….

Tuesday 8 January
    PM
    5.2 @ 8:50
    Run home from work. :D:D This was a good run up until the last mile (suffice to say I think Ray has poisoned my water in advance of the big Sportsworld day out on Sunday! ;)) For the first time since I felt I could run again, I felt a noticeable improvement in the foot. It was still achy but nowhere near as offensive as it had been. Onwards and upwards!

Need to restrict him in what he can use, therefore he clean as he goes along and eventually all falls into place!

It worked on me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Need to restrict him in what he can use, therefore he clean as he goes along and eventually all falls into place!

It worked on me!

For the purposes of clarity I'd like to point out that she's talking ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

digger2d2 wrote: »

For the purposes of clarity I'd like to point out that she's talking ****e!

;):D

nothing clear about that!

Wednesday 9 January (6 miles easy)

AM
    Strength Circuit X 3 (I won’t lie… even though I did it, it was half a55ed. Buttocks and core were neither clenched nor engaged near as much as they should been! I even got back into bed for 10 minutes afterwards. Must do better!

PM
    6 @ 8:50
    When I had to nip out of the office  yesterday afternoon, I knew I’d regret the gear choice I’d made when packing my bag the night before. It was not a night for shorts! Especially for an easy/recovery pace run. Anyway there was nowt I could do about it at that stage except suck it up. Legs had been heavy all day – I suppose that’s bound to happen after the break. Although once I started, I quickly forgot about that. Run was going grand until about 3 miles in when I had an incident with a granny, a poodle, an extendable lead, a lamppost and a kerb; all of which resulted in a high viz ball of crumpled runner on the side of the road. It happened so quickly – timing could not have been worse! I went to hop onto the cycle path to save myself but as luck would have it there was a bike passing at that exact moment. I didn’t really feel a thing because my legs were frozen so I hopped back up and kept on trucking. I got a couple of funny looks as I continued my journey home; the reason for which became very apparent when I got home and saw my bloody leg… a minor gash on the knee which had covered my sock and runner in blood and cost me cost me about 2 pints of what is liquid gold to my body!! Ha. I was a little worried as (of course!) it was my dodgy right leg/foot but it seemed ok. Doctor Digdig had a look to make sure there were no stones or anything and I walked away from my disaster with nothing more a plaster over a bloody knee and some scrapes and bruises on the hands and legs. Apart from that, the run was grand and the foot felt another bit better. Pace was grand and as prescribed – the 8:50 average included the fall, which in hindsight was a lightening fast “don’t mind me, I’m grand” léim back onto my feet!

I was pretty wrecked for the evening and enjoyed a chill out. Not forgetting how my legs had felt during the day though, I did make myself get the foam roller out for a bit of ‘relief’  before bed!

20 mins foam rolling

The couple of times I’ve run home this week have been a little unnerving-slash-a-pain-in- the-tush. I’ve left the office  just after 5:30 and found myself slap bang in the middle of pedestrian rush hour. Pedestrians are a pain! Usually, the masses would be well gone by the time I hit the streets and I hadn’t realised what a luxury that was. My boss will be delighted to hear my agreement to working late!! In any event I think I’ll get another flashing light and a siren to warn people not to get in my way in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Nope that wasn’t me – I opted for 20 minutes on the homemade gym on the landing this morning. However, had it been me I would definitely have waved, run across the road, embraced you, chatted, offered to run with you, smiled etc etc… Speak for yourself snobby!! ;);)

I am not worthy. :)

Hope the knee is okay today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Is the poodle ok? Poor granny, talk about a hit and run on her poor doggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ah many years ago on a skiing holiday, a whole rake of us (c.25) had a tobogganing race down the tobogganing track on a Sunday morning.

The locals used to love walking the course after breakfast. Cue carnage as locals were surprised to be in the middle of a race for the prize of Waterford's Fastest Tobogganer.

All was going well until the leader came around one bend to find an old lady and poodle in front of him having a walk. He took evasive action and put the poodle flying into the sky while the old lady survived. Imagine my surprise to come round the bend behind him in hot pursuit, to find a poodle in mid air and an old lady screaming. We later found out that the poodle didn't make it and also sadly i finished only second.

The moral to the story is that it could have been worse CL and sometimes you have to aim for the poodle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

chinguetti wrote: »
    Ah many years ago on a skiing holiday, a whole rake of us (c.25) had a tobogganing race down the tobogganing track on a Sunday morning.

The locals used to love walking the course after breakfast. Cue carnage as locals were surprised to be in the middle of a race for the prize of Waterford's Fastest Tobogganer.

All was going well until the leader came around one bend to find an old lady and poodle in front of him having a walk. He took evasive action and put the poodle flying into the sky while the old lady survived. Imagine my surprise to come round the bend behind him in hot pursuit, to find a poodle in mid air and an old lady screaming. We later found out that the poodle didn't make it and also sadly i finished only second.

The moral to the story is that it could have been worse CL and sometimes you have to aim for the poodle.

What happens if it's a Cat and an old lady? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

pistol_75 wrote: »
    What happens if it's a Cat and an old lady? :eek:

Ah Puds wouldn't go out in the cold, he's too smart for that stuff.:D

Ah Puds wouldn't go out in the cold, he's too smart for that stuff.:D

Cats aren't smart they're sly. A cat probably would have pulled on the lead so hard to ensure the tension was great enough to cleave poor old CLs leg off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR wrote: »
    Cats aren't smart they're sly. A cat probably would have pulled on the lead so hard to ensure the tension was great enough to cleave poor old CLs leg off.

Is she catching this off Digger?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Is she catching this off Digger?

I'd say he has transmitted a few things in their relationship all right, old age isn't one yet though

Is the poodle ok? Poor granny, talk about a hit and run on her poor doggy!

The poodle was ok...Lucky there wasn't a railway track nearby as i have a better aim than some of the pansies around here! ;)

Haha next time the poodle won't be going home on 4 legs! I can't believe taper madness is just going to become part of my everyday life now...

I'd say he has transmitted a few things in their relationship all right, old age isn't one yet though

Oh i dunno... You'd want to see the slippers and teasmade i got for Christmas!!

What happens if it's a pussy and an old lady? :eek:

Ah now Pete, there's no need for this sort of talk.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Obviously that hill training last night failed to remove your mind from the gutter :)

With a personality like that, need I confirm that he had me at Hello...?! ;)

Thursday 10 January (5 miles easy)
    AM
    I got back into bed for those 30 minutes it takes the water to heat up. It was nice, but it was of absolutely no benefit as I was more tired when the alarm went off at 7 (3 times…). Lesson: don’t be such a lazy sod OR learn how to work the immersion timer! ;)

PM
    I headed out to the club after work to show my face – it’s been an age and I was starting to get concerned texts. I had planned on just doing what we call the ‘Ballyboden Loop’ on my own as sessions are not on the schedule at the minute. However, with there being a couple of races on at the weekend, everyone was doing this loop so I just jumped in with a couple of the girls for a chat. We got to about 1.5 miles at about 8:24 pace (I wasn’t watching the Garmin, someone just mentioned it) and I was feeling good. Because the paths are in pretty terrible condition and the lighting is poor (and more particularly with my unease following my tumble the previous night) I pushed a teeny bit so I could be at the front of my group with a full view of all potential hazards. When I pushed, a couple of the girls followed. I was feeling really strong and got into a good rhythm. I could hear the others behind me and I knew they were trying to stay with me. So I decided to keep running strong and haul them around at a good pace. I didn’t check the watch but I knew I was giving the legs and lungs their first proper workout in a while. I was very happy with the end result mostly because of how strong the legs felt and how controlled my breathing was. I warmed up nicely but didn’t overheat, despite the long leggings and fleece top. Really good and much needed – no adverse effects afterwards and the non-running (;)) day today will ensure a proper recovery.
    5.55 @ 7:36

Friday 11 January (Rest)
    AM
    Got up, stayed up, feel a million times better today!
    15 mins Turbo– very easy/recovery just to get some blood flowing.
    3 X Strength Circuit – still leaving out the plank, although I should put it back in next week or at least include a core equivalent that doesn’t require feet input. I’m also going to add a couple of upper body (very easy) weights a couple of times a week – it can’t do any harm.

Will do about 20 minutes of rolling and stretching this evening in advance of my ‘LSR’ tomorrow. I’m really looking forward to a double digit run regardless of how easy my pace has to be. Fingers crossed it all goes according to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Obviously that hill training last night failed to remove your mind from the gutter :)

"We are all in the gutter... and some of us like it here, thanks"

• Advertisement

So like the bold child that I am, I didn’t foam roll or stretch on Friday evening. Instead, I spent the evening mourning the loss of a treasured training companion. After over two years of hauling my ass around training and racing, my Garmin gave me one last flicker of life before she died stone dead. Naturally I was devastated. I was also devastated with the state of my bank account which, instead of pointing to a gift of a shiny new souped-up Garmin, indicated I’d be making a return to good old mapmyrun and a stopwatch. Tear.

Saturday 12 January (10 miles or 90 minutes)

I was really looking forward to getting out for a decent longish run this weekend. It had been at least 8 weeks since I ran double digits. And the highest mileage in that time was about 6 miles. I was nervous about the foot but it was feeling good after the faster run on Thursday which was reassuring. Digs had a 14 miler to do so he went out for his 4 miles and picked me up for the remaining 10. Although we have plenty of silent moments, low spots and bony elbow digs when we run together,  it was really nice to get out with the company again. From the house, we ran about 3 miles to the waterworks in Bohernabreena and then did 2 miles up and around the reservoir before turning and making our way home. It was a pretty cold afternoon and a very refreshing run! There were loads of people and dogs out walking – none of which fell victim to the canine-hating I’m currently experiencing while running! My body in general was quite tired but that was down to getting back into the swing of early mornings, work, running, the outdoor training etc so no biggie. Running wise I felt really good. The legs felt strong despite the hills and the breathing was good. Recovered from the climbs pretty quickly each time. And no issues with the foot. I was delighted to get this under my belt – a milestone in the big return. :) I thoroughly enjoyed a lazy afternoon on the couch afterwards!

10 @ 8:26

Sunday 13 January (4 miles recovery)

Women’s Meet & Train Winter League – Race 3

Despite my swearing I wouldn’t run another cross country metre before Boston, my team would have been out of this had I not run. So because (1) I’m back running and feeling good, (2) the injury seems to have cleared up well, (3) I didn’t want to the let the team down, (4) I was only there to make up numbers and there was no pressure to race, (5) I didn’t have to wear my spikes, (6) it was on home turf….I won’t go on – suffice to say I had reason enough to head down to Bushy and take part in the race for the craic.

It was bleedin baltic out so I didn’t expect any sort of warm-up to have a decent effect. I jogged about a mile around the pitches and thankfully the ground was forgiving to my being in road runners. I was quietly getting more and more terrified about injuring myself as the minutes ticked down to the start. I had to choke a panicky tear when coach was talking strategy to me – the plan being to just sit in and not do anything stupid. I swore that I’d be sensible and ease off if and when necessary. I was not in it to win it yesterday. I did a measly 2 sets of strides (which I’d likely get a rap on the knuckles for in any other circumstances!). I was not enthused in the slightest lining up at the start, although I positioned myself well. I didn’t want to get stuck in the pack worrying about big pushed around. When the race started I took off. For the first 100m I went with in and fell into about 10th place. I could see my 3 teammates holding up the front but I was happy where I was. I knew this was a race for positions and was keeping my eye on team numbers around me so once I could maintain a decent place, I was happy. I picked off a couple of girls as I motored on. Then RQ passed me with a vengeance. I had no idea what distance we were at as I had never run the course and I didn’t know what pace I was running due to the death of the Garmin. I caught up with RQ and kept her within poking distance. She was a good target. I was happy out sitting on her shoulder and my plan was just to cruise and then give it a bit of a kick towards the end. Unfortunately thanks to the great support on the course and my not-so-common name, it didn’t take her long to cotton on to my game so I decided to push a bit earlier and went off with about half a mile to go and a profanity to boot ;) I picked off a couple more girls including one of my own teammates, and got myself into 5th. I passed the girl in 4th with about 250m to go but she fought back and my lack of sprint finish cost me the place. It wasn’t so bad though. Finished in 5th position with a time of c. 12:47 (not chipped) and was delighted with that. The finishing straight took the wind out of my sails but in general I felt strong throughout. It was, as planned, a very sensible race. It was a solid effort but felt comfortable (as much as that is possible during a 2 mile race…if that makes sense!).  My confidence is coming back a little because (1) the legs felt strong despite the hilly 10 miler the day before, (2) the lungs felt good despite the speed and cold air, (3) the form seems to have improved with physio exercises and (4) although it was a good hard effort, I think I had more in me had I gotten stuck in at the start. I definitely lack a super finish in these things but I suppose that will be a project post-Boston. Not bad for a return from a month off if I do say so myself.

Have to hand it to the club – the organisation, stewarding and support was great. I thought the course was really good – probably too good for XC if I’m honest! And of course, a lovely hot cuppa and a spread of biscuits always goes down a treat. Though I mostly refrained from the goodies because my number one supporter cum photographer cum chauffeur cum carer had promised to cook up a storm in the frying pan when we got home. The way to my heart…. :D Mmmmm!

I did get my hands on a good hunk of RQ’s AM-A-ZING triple chocolate brownie which I stowed away and had as a post-brekkie treat. She’s good at death-by-chocolate – I’ll forgive her for the abuse. :)

A measly 3 miles for the day because I was too lazy to go for a cool down, promising instead to do 15 minutes on the Turbo and 20 minutes of stretching and rolling in the evening…I didn’t!

33.45 miles for the week – an increase of 13.45 on last week so happy with that. Another build-up week and I should be able to get stuck into this marathon training lark :D

And in other good news…drumroll…on the third day it rose again… Garmin coughed and spluttered her way back to life after some intellectual googling and thankfully (hopefully!) she shall live to see another continent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great running O :D You must be thrilled the foot is behaving so well :D:D

Great running O :D You must be thrilled the foot is behaving so well :D:D

To say the least!! :D

Monday 14 January (5 miles recovery)
    AM
    20 mins Turbo  – nice’n’easy
    3 X strength circuit

PM
    The aule one was doing dinner and a belated birthday muffin for Digdig so for the first time in ages I ran from town out to the Manor. When I started running, the climb from UCD to White’s Cross frickin KILLED me. It was great just cruising out at recovery pace – not a bother. I wouldn’t even call it a climb anymore…. ;) Not much else to report really. Legs felt good after Sunday’s race – and no complaints out of the foot. Won’t speak too soon but I think I’m nearly out of the woods. Looking forward to getting this week done, dusted and under the belt.
    6.1 @ 8:51

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So like the bold child that I am, I didn’t foam roll or stretch on Friday evening. Instead, I spent the evening mourning the loss of a treasured training companion. After over two years of hauling my ass around training and racing, my Garmin gave me one last flicker of life before she died stone dead. Naturally I was devastated. I was also devastated with the state of my bank account which, instead of pointing to a gift of a shiny new souped-up Garmin, indicated I’d be making a return to good old mapmyrun and a stopwatch. Tear.

Saturday 12 January (10 miles or 90 minutes)

I was really looking forward to getting out for a decent longish run this weekend. It had been at least 8 weeks since I ran double digits. And the highest mileage in that time was about 6 miles. I was nervous about the foot but it was feeling good after the faster run on Thursday which was reassuring. Digs had a 14 miler to do so he went out for his 4 miles and picked me up for the remaining 10. Although we have plenty of silent moments, low spots and bony elbow digs when we run together, it was really nice to get out with the company again. From the house, we ran about 3 miles to the waterworks in Bohernabreena and then did 2 miles up and around the reservoir before turning and making our way home. It was a pretty cold afternoon and a very refreshing run! There were loads of people and dogs out walking – none of which fell victim to the canine-hating I’m currently experiencing while running! My body in general was quite tired but that was down to getting back into the swing of early mornings, work, running, the outdoor training etc so no biggie. Running wise I felt really good. The legs felt strong despite the hills and the breathing was good. Recovered from the climbs pretty quickly each time. And no issues with the foot. I was delighted to get this under my belt – a milestone in the big return. :) I thoroughly enjoyed a lazy afternoon on the couch afterwards!

10 @ 8:26

Sunday 13 January (4 miles recovery)

Women’s Meet & Train Winter League – Race 3

Despite my swearing I wouldn’t run another cross country metre before Boston, my team would have been out of this had I not run. So because (1) I’m back running and feeling good, (2) the injury seems to have cleared up well, (3) I didn’t want to the let the team down, (4) I was only there to make up numbers and there was no pressure to race, (5) I didn’t have to wear my spikes, (6) it was on home turf….I won’t go on – suffice to say I had reason enough to head down to Bushy and take part in the race for the craic.

It was bleedin baltic out so I didn’t expect any sort of warm-up to have a decent effect. I jogged about a mile around the pitches and thankfully the ground was forgiving to my being in road runners. I was quietly getting more and more terrified about injuring myself as the minutes ticked down to the start. I had to choke a panicky tear when coach was talking strategy to me – the plan being to just sit in and not do anything stupid. I swore that I’d be sensible and ease off if and when necessary. I was not in it to win it yesterday. I did a measly 2 sets of strides (which I’d likely get a rap on the knuckles for in any other circumstances!). I was not enthused in the slightest lining up at the start, although I positioned myself well. I didn’t want to get stuck in the pack worrying about big pushed around. When the race started I took off. For the first 100m I went with in and fell into about 10th place. I could see my 3 teammates holding up the front but I was happy where I was. I knew this was a race for positions and was keeping my eye on team numbers around me so once I could maintain a decent place, I was happy. I picked off a couple of girls as I motored on. Then RQ passed me with a vengeance. I had no idea what distance we were at as I had never run the course and I didn’t know what pace I was running due to the death of the Garmin. I caught up with RQ and kept her within poking distance. She was a good target. I was happy out sitting on her shoulder and my plan was just to cruise and then give it a bit of a kick towards the end. Unfortunately thanks to the great support on the course and my not-so-common name, it didn’t take her long to cotton on to my game so I decided to push a bit earlier and went off with about half a mile to go and a profanity to boot ;) I picked off a couple more girls including one of my own teammates, and got myself into 5th. I passed the girl in 4th with about 250m to go but she fought back and my lack of sprint finish cost me the place. It wasn’t so bad though. Finished in 5th position with a time of c. 12:47 (not chipped) and was delighted with that. The finishing straight took the wind out of my sails but in general I felt strong throughout. It was, as planned, a very sensible race. It was a solid effort but felt comfortable (as much as that is possible during a 2 mile race…if that makes sense!). My confidence is coming back a little because (1) the legs felt strong despite the hilly 10 miler the day before, (2) the lungs felt good despite the speed and cold air, (3) the form seems to have improved with physio exercises and (4) although it was a good hard effort, I think I had more in me had I gotten stuck in at the start. I definitely lack a super finish in these things but I suppose that will be a project post-Boston. Not bad for a return from a month off if I do say so myself.

Have to hand it to the club – the organisation, stewarding and support was great. I thought the course was really good – probably too good for XC if I’m honest! And of course, a lovely hot cuppa and a spread of biscuits always goes down a treat. Though I mostly refrained from the goodies because my number one supporter cum photographer cum chauffeur cum carer had promised to cook up a storm in the frying pan when we got home. The way to my heart…. :D Mmmmm!

I did get my hands on a good hunk of RQ’s AM-A-ZING triple chocolate brownie which I stowed away and had as a post-brekkie treat. She’s good at death-by-chocolate – I’ll forgive her for the abuse. :)

A measly 3 miles for the day because I was too lazy to go for a cool down, promising instead to do 15 minutes on the Turbo and 20 minutes of stretching and rolling in the evening…I didn’t!

33.45 miles for the week – an increase of 13.45 on last week so happy with that. Another build-up week and I should be able to get stuck into this marathon training lark :D

And in other good news…drumroll…on the third day it rose again… Garmin coughed and spluttered her way back to life after some intellectual googling and thankfully (hopefully!) she shall live to see another continent!

Good running, the girl that finished 4th was from our club.

Good running, the girl that finished 4th was from our club.

She had a great finishing kick! I'll be gunning for her next time ;)

Tuesday 15 January (6 miles aerobic – no Garmin gazing!)
    AM
    3 X strength circuit I think I need to do a different circuit… Either I’m getting lazy or my body has gotten used to what I’ve been doing. Hmmm….

Lunchtime
    I have to do a long run (long for me at the moment anyway) first thing in the morning so I wanted to get today’s run done as early as possible to allow for the longest possible recovery period. With the rough expected pace of7:40/55, I knew I’d have time to get this done at lunchtime so I headed out into the freezing afternoon and took a jaunt from town out around the graveyards of Namaland where the fat cats of the Celtic Tiger did once live before they were locked up for embezzlement and corruption. It was good running this route and sans back pack for this particular session – I wouldn’t have fancied the effort of it on my usual commute home. I glanced at the Garmin only a handful of times to ensure I didn't stray too far and would make it back to the office on time. Noticed once or twice that pace was slightly fast and tried to pull it back but the Garmin-gazing ban clearly impeded those efforts. Lungs and legs felt good. I was freezing afterwards. The enormous feed since has helped warm me back up though thank god :)
    6 @ 7:28

I have to get the roller out tonight and do some stretching too. I’ve noticed that my resolve for deciding to give things up and sticking to it is extremely strong. This is in distinct comparison to my ability to take positive actions such as stretching and helping the elderly cross the road. Maybe I’ll tackle that for lent!!

This is in distinct comparison to my ability to take positive actions such as stretching and helping the elderly cross the road. Maybe I’ll tackle that for lent!!

you're already doing enough for the elderly :D

Maybe I’ll take that length!!

Whatev Trev....;)

• Advertisement

I can't believe that took you 7 minutes... getting slow in every walk of life I see!

Advertisement