Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

digger2d2 wrote: »

Whatev Trev....;)

And you already know well what I think of your 'editing' habits!! ;)

Wednesday 16 January (LSR 12 miles @ c.8:20)

12 miles bright and early for me this morning. Thank God Met Eireann are a useless shower – the weather could not have been further from what I was expecting. I was prepared for the fact that I might have to cut this run short if the roads were icy, but I really didn’t want to have to do that. However, I was not looking forward to this run for a number of reasons including; 1) the expected overnight freeze, 2) the hour of the morning meaning darkness and a creaky body, and 3) the aftermath of yesterday’s harder run. The planned pace was 8:20 but I decided that anything under 8:30 would be grand in the circumstances. I took in a few hills for the first 4/5 miles and the body felt surprisingly ok and the pace was roughly on target despite not Garmin gazing.

After about 4 miles I had started to get a bit peckish (despite having gone to bed like a squirrel prepared for the winter!) and momentarily took my eye off the game... I was crossing a road at a roundabout amid some car-dodging so I that I wouldn’t have to stop. The dodging went swimmingly as I pranced around roads and kerbs until I saw my out and went for it – only for my remount of the footpath to end in me flying through the air and landing flat out like an egg that had been dropped splat on the ground from a height. I managed to bang my knees, hips and shoulders in the one go. The position I took up on the ground was akin to what you might see chalked out on CSI following the perfect murder! I held the position for a 2 second check just to make sure everything was in order, before hopping back up and continuing on my way. I was a little stiff for a hundred metres or so and then it was grand. All daydreaming and thoughts of food went out the window as I thought it more important to be mindful about my path for the remainder, and not immersed in my la-la land.

I was dropping down towards town but (for my sins and in the spirit of heartbreak!) when I got to Clonskeagh, I swung a right and followed the DCM route for a few miles. The pace was still on track despite feeling like I was really trundling along. Generally I was really more concerned with getting the distance covered – so whatevs!

The legs started to get heavy at about 10 miles but that wasn’t surprising so I wasn’t worried. A handy trot around some of the city centre streets brought me to the office door bang on target. I am surprised at the overall pace as it felt a lot more like a recovery run so I suppose that’s a good thing.

All done and dusted by 8:01; and showered, ready for the day with my steaming coffee and slap-up brekkie at the desk 30 minutes later – not bad for a morning’s work!

12.1 @ 8:10

To counter these rendezvous’ with the pavement, I either need to stop running on Wednesdays or just wake the hell up and stop being such a goof! I think I know what the manager and the coach will have to say in that regard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

let us know in advance where next Wednesdays run will take place so we can be there with camera in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

You are becoming the Mary Decker of A/R/T ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All the cool people fall down all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

All the cool people fall down all the time.
    Im just glad this one cant be unfairly blamed on me :D

Im just glad this one cant be unfairly blamed on me :D

Haha!! Oh remember the good ole days when you showed up for running related outings... ;)

My Wednesday afternoon was spent in the dentist’s chair having root canal so no further physical exertions followed in the PM. I was only good enough for the cinema with extra scoops of Ben & Jerrys to drown my sorrows…

Thursday 17 January (5 miles recovery)
    AM
    20 mins Turbo – easy
    10 mins Foam Rolling
    10 mins Stretching

PM
    An easy peasy squeezy lemon recovery run home from work. Christened my new runners (which are just my Kinvara 3s in totally funky limited edition colours…so hot!). Nothing to report apart from how easy this felt, despite it usually eing a tiresome and windy route. Feeling wonderful!!
    5.2 @ 8:47

No ill effects from the fall apart from a few stinkers of bruises and a bit of tenderness around the edges.

Friday 18 January (Rest)
    AM
    Heard the weather banging the house down. Hit snooze. Digs took on immersion duty. Rolled over and slept for 30 minutes.
    This was all despite my best strength circuit intentions. Oh well!

PM
    I suspect it will be couch, tea and comfort food… :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hello! It was me that you met at Parkrun & did the cooldown with. Well done again on your race & glad your recovery is going so well. See you again, I'm sure.

Saturday 19 January (5k Time Trial w/ 2.5 mile w/u & w/d)
    The plan was to hit up Malahide Parkrun for a 5k time trial to assess the resulting damage from the month OFF running and ON the booze.

Because the weather was being so unreliable, I left it until Saturday morning to decide whether to venture out or not. It would have been of no benefit to run a time trial on icy ground or in insane winds as it wouldn’t have been an accurate reflection of where I’m at. When I looked out the window and saw a surprisingly mild and calm morning, I quickly gathered myself and hit the road. As I got further from home and closer to DNS, the weather was getting progressively worse. The rain was pouring down, it was like night-time was rolling back around with the colour of the skies and the wind was picking up. In any event, I decided that a good hard 5k couldn’t do me any harm even if it wasn’t going to be the most worthwhile training assessment.

I arrived out and went for a 2.5 mile warm-up. I was running the course when I came across the “puddles” which had the paths closed. The organisers confirmed that the show would go on and that my shiny new runners were in for a baptism of fire! I did a couple of sets of strides and felt nicely warmed up before stripping off and heading for the start line.

There was no plan apart from an earlier discussion that an epic blow-up wouldn’t be the worst thing that could happen! I wasn’t to look at my watch, although I did wear it with just the time showing for the purposes of retrospective analysis! It was quite congested at the start and I found it difficult to get by a few people. I took off when I could and was breathing pretty heavily (for me – I’m normally quite controlled!) fairly early in. There was one little whippet ahead of me who was running her 115th different Parkrun (!) and she was in awesome shape. I knew I wouldn’t be any match for her and after about 500m she was gone. I knew I was second lady and I just wanted to push as much as possible. It was difficult enough to do that though with no real marker to pace off. There were a couple of blokes around and there was a definite battle between about 4 of us through the race not to let another away. My shoelaces opened after about a kilometre and I wasn’t sure what to do. I knew it’d cost me a lot of time over that distance to stop to tie them especially with my cold wet hands. Because they were new shoes, they were quite stiff so I decided to keep going unless/until I felt them loosening up too much to run safely. As it turned out, they held it together quite well.

The main highlight of the day was the lakes through which we had to run. As I rounded the corner, there was one guy trying to side step but I didn’t have the energy or concentration for that so it was straight through every drop of water that was in my path from then on. It definitely hindered my performance but it was never going to be a PB so I was just happy with the hard run! Because my breathing was quite heavy, I feel like I wussed out of pushing harder for fear that I’d get a stich and lose any pace I had built up – in hindsight, I think I should have just tempted the stitch and see what happened. As I said, an epic blow-up wouldn’t have been the worst. Anyway I didn’t, I was running hard for sure but I definitely should have pushed harder at certain points. I crossed the line in 20 minutes flat with the Garmin showing 5.00K @ 4:00m/m. The results have me at 20:03 and first lady – I’m not going to write a strongly worded letter about either! Though I will denounce my first place because that’s the right thing to do eh…?!

I finished up with a 2.5 mile warm down with HelenAnne and it was lovely to have a new victim to bore the ears off! ;) I was happy enough with the time and race all things considered so a major dissection at this juncture isn’t necessary!

8 miles total for the day rounded off with a bag of M&S chocolate chip cookies on the couch, a delicious dinner and far too many beers, vino tintos and vodkas…Ugh. A particularly late night but a lot of fun had by all I think!

2.5 @ 8.55
    5k @ 4.00
    2.5 @ 8:37

Sunday 20 January (5 miles recovery)
    A very unenthusiastic 5 miler to pick up the car which had been abandoned in favour of not drinking and driving. Although my head wasn’t bothered with this, the legs felt surprisingly good. So thankfully it was as effortless as it was unenthusiastic!
    5 @ 8:45

Round up for the week – 42.4 miles total – almost back in the game :)

• Advertisement

Boston – T minus 12 weeks

I started off the week with a bit  of a sore back which I think is a result of a couple of things including my recent encounters with the ground, slouching over the desk in work, strutting around in ridiuclous heels on Saturday night etc etc. I’m also not loving the running in the dark and cold weather this week. I feel really tense with all the remo pedestrian and motor traffic at rush hour and with the bandy paths in this city. None of those factors are productively assisting my plight for an awesome week’s training as my back was getting progressively worse! Raheny was off the cards after the December injury; it went back on at the weekend with the successful-ish return; and it’s in jeopardy again now.

Monday 21 January (8 miles easy)
    AM
    Snooze

PM
    Ran home from work. Although the legs felt ok the back was achy – though it eased off as I warmed up. And for the reasons outlined above, I found this mentally tiresome.
    8 @ 8:12

Tuesday 22 January (5/6 miles recovery)
    AM
    3 X strength circuit – didn’t feel anything in the back but won’t be doing this again until it’s 100%
    20 minutes of foam rolling and stretching

PM
    Very similar to Monday’s run! Meh! Back was pretty tender for the evening :(
    5.45 @ 8:51

Wednesday 23 January (14/15 miles LSR)
    AM
    The plan was to do this before work. I was doubtful going to bed as to how this plan would work out. I kept chopping and changing my mind between (1) being sensible and (2) just getting it done. In the end, the former won out. When the alarm went off, a very quick assessment confirmed that it wouldn’t be a good idea to run 15 miles with the back feeling the way it was. So I snoozed for an hour and went with a 6 mile recovery instead. It took a few minutes to warm up and the stiffness to ease. It eased but it didn’t go away. As it turned out the paths were quite slippy so regardless of my physical and mental health, I suspect it would have been a disastrous attempt at a valuable LSR. I was also very aware that it was Wednesday and I did NOT want to have an RV with the footpath to report on here! ;)
    6 @ 8:51

If I feel good tomorrow, I’ll do the LSR after work and think about Raheny thereafter. If I don’t, the LSR will have to be run on Saturday. If the latter occurs, I think I’ll run Raheny as my 5 mile recovery on Sunday. I might as well get my money’s worth and the change of scenery will be nice! I have a goal time in mind and if I don’t feel sufficiently recovered from this latest pain to give it a good bash, then I won’t risk it and will find an alternative race in a couple of weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

claralara wrote: »
    There was one little whippet ahead of me who was running her 115th different Parkrun (!) and she was in awesome shape. I knew I wouldn’t be any match for her and after about 500m she was gone. I knew I was second lady

The results have me at 20:03 and first lady

When you say she was 'Gone'...........a bit drastic wasn't it? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

When you say she was 'Gone'...........a bit drastic wasn't it? :eek:

She probably pushed her into that puddle..... oh no, that would be RQ's scene!

Great running there O, I'm eye rolling when I see you might do Raheny as a 'recovery' run. :rolleyes::)

jcsmum wrote: »

She probably pushed her into that puddle..... oh no, that would be RQ's scene!

Great running there O, I'm eye rolling when I see you might do Raheny as a 'recovery' run. :rolleyes::)

:D

It'll be recovery pace though don't worry! Might pace a friend to sub 43... I know I won't hit my target (and what i'm capable of) this weekend and LSR is more important if I'm well enough to run. No silly carry-on on this log - i just want the boogie bag (as Spanish Stew would say!!) ;)

Back no better. I was ignoring the extent of the pain when I decided to run yesterday morning. It was foolish. I realise now that my back is in the midst of an awful spasm. This has happened a few times over the past few years, most notably back in 2010 and resulting in an abrupt end to my tag rugby career. It’s just a matter of riding it out. Hopefully it’ll pass in a couple of days but in the meantime, I’ll continue to go about my business like a crippled 90 year old woman. Obviously it pales in comparison to manflu and I daren’t embark on a self-sympathising mission. In fairness to Digs and despite his recent brush with death, he did spare me a bit of support so I could have a good old whinge last night. A shot of PMA and SIU for the next few days now CL!!

Thursday 24 January (5/6 miles recovery)
    Rest 8-/

get it sorted ffs and keep off the road- you dont want to spoil a few weeks of Boston training for the sake of a training run 3 months out from your goal....

get it sorted ffs and keep off the road- you dont want to spoil a few weeks of Boston training for the sake of a training run 3 months out from your goal....

Jaysus...no need for that reaction... I think it's fair to say that Im one of the more sensible on here when it comes to looking after myself, and will in no way jeopardise my Boston goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

It’s just a matter of riding it out.

Excellent, couldn't agree more... Much better idea than a course of Difene :D:D

Maybe my text was harsher than I had intended, but you get the point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Jaysus...no need for that reaction... I think it's fair to say that Im one of the more sensible on here when it comes to looking after myself, and will in no way jeopardise my Boston goal.

Jaysus, that was harsh! :eek:

• Advertisement

Maybe my text was harsher than I had intended, but you get the point :)
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Jaysus, that was harsh! :eek:

No it wasn’t… Joe got it and we’re all square now :) I was simply pointing out in no uncertain terms that I’m not going to do anything stupid. I put my long run back to Thursday when I didn’t feel good enough to do it on Wednesday. When Thursday rolled around I knew a couple of rest days were in order and I made the decision to take yesterday and today off. I got onto the doc re anti-inflammatories to help the recovery without becoming a junkie. I feel a heap better now and if I had manflu I’d probably be stupid enough to manrun today. But I’m not. I’m hoping for another big improvement today/tonight and I know that once the spasm passes, it’ll be gone. It’s not like a recurring injury that eases off and gets sore once you run again. I would definitely be hoping for mileage over the weekend and I was merely saying that if I was running 5 recovery miles on Sunday, I might as well do the Raheny route @ 8:45 pace or something, for a change of scenery seeing as I’ve entered it. But that’s only if I’m 100%. My eyes are firmly on the Boston prize! (Not the podium obviously, just the finish line!) ;)

Friday 25 January (Rest)
    Rest

No it wasn’t… Joe got it and we’re all square now :) I was simply pointing out in no uncertain terms that I’m not going to do anything stupid. I put my long run back to Thursday when I didn’t feel good enough to do it on Wednesday. When Thursday rolled around I knew a couple of rest days were in order and I made the decision to take yesterday and today off. I got onto the doc re anti-inflammatories to help the recovery without becoming a junkie. I feel a heap better now and if I had manflu I’d probably be stupid enough to manrun today. But I’m not. I’m hoping for another big improvement today/tonight and I know that once the spasm passes, it’ll be gone. It’s not like a recurring injury that eases off and gets sore once you run again. I would definitely be hoping for mileage over the weekend and I was merely saying that if I was running 5 recovery miles on Sunday, I might as well do the Raheny route @ 8:45 pace or something, for a change of scenery seeing as I’ve entered it. But that’s only if I’m 100%. My eyes are firmly on the Boston prize! (Not the podium obviously, just the finish line!) ;)

Friday 25 January (Rest)
    Rest

I was talking about Joe's post! :pac::P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Friday 25 January (Rest)
    Rest

That post is like on big massive dig at digdig :pac:

I was talking about Joe's post! :pac::P

Well then you should have quoted Joe's post...:p
    That post is like on big massive dig at digdig :pac:

:D:D

Well then you should have quoted Joe's post...:p

That was a quick response to text! :P

That was a quick response to text! :P

That was a shocking attempt at a subject change because you realise I'm awesome and always right! ;)

That was a shocking attempt at a subject change because you realise I'm awesome and always right! ;)

You funny! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

FYP
    That was a shocking attempt at a subject change because you realise I'm an asshole and always wrong! ;)

TRR wrote: »
    FYP

Why don't you stop editing posts like a child - it's not your English grammar you need to work on,it’s your arts and crafts/graphic design abilities (or lack thereof) that need the real attention... ;)

• Advertisement

Boston: T minus 11 weeks!

Monday 28 January (6-8 miles steady – preferably sub 8m/m pace)
    AM
    15 mins Turbo – easy warm up
    10 mins Foam Rolling
    10 mins Stretching

PM
    I took it upon myself to pay little heed to Coach’s instructions last night. My legs were a wee bit tired. The weather was unbelievable. The wind was just cruel. My route was uphill. I had planned that Tuesday’s run would be an early pre-work jaunt which would mean less than 12 hours to recover between each run. I knew from looking out the windows (and listening to them rattle) during the day that sub 8 minute/mile pace was not going to be goer so I had well decided to give even the thoughts of a ‘steady run’ a miss. In the end, I bypassed the ‘easy run’ and swung a left towards the ‘recovery run’. I was pretty much running into a wall of wind the entire time, apart from a few gusts which nearly had me head over feet in a bush! Not one of my finest moments when I really needed to spit and the wind sorted me out for not being a lady by making sure I ended up with gob all over my face. Ugh. From about miles 3-6, my tum was in a jock and then I just needed to get home as a matter of extreme urgency. I just didn’t have the heart to add in the extra bit to bring it up to 8. A positively soul destroying and abusive run!! :):)
    7.15 @ 8:38

Tuesday January (MLR - 10 miles easy)
    AM
    What. A. Rotter. That’s pretty much it… A 10 miles round-the-houses run to work. Legs felt a little bit dead and I couldn’t get them moving. Early morning excuse has to apply here on top of everything. Despite it looking pretty calm out the window, I was running into a wall of wind the whole way. AGAIN. I think I’ve peeved off the missus of one of the weather Gods! ;) I took in a few hills at the beginning around Marlay, Ballinteer, Dundrum and got to 5 miles at a sucky 8:26 pace. At that point I gave myself a bit of a kick up the rear, engaged a little PMA and knee lift and decided to get my head in the game for the latter half. It was easy enough to do that at that point because it was where I hit a nice drop before the flatlands of the city centre. Unfortunately however, I got an awful stitch when I picked up the pace on the downhill. I know exactly what it was – dehydration. It happens me every so often and gives me a good root to remember / try to drink more water. By the time I hit 9 miles, every single muscle in my stomach felt like it was going to explode. I tried a heap of different ways of breathing, holding my core, moving my arms but the damage was done. The last mile was just survival. But I got there. Character building to say the least. Have been drinking water and green tea all day!!
    10.15 @ 8:11 (5@ 8:26 & 5@ 7:55)

At least it means I have a good break for recovery before LSR on Thursday.

Advertisement