Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke Detector in Hotpress?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone.
    Just wondering about the above. Hotpress contains a lot of equipment that is electical i.e. Circulating Pumps, Stats, Immersions, Timers, Motorised Valves, Solar Controllers, Booster Pumps etc etc.

Why is it not required to have a smoke alarm in a hot press? You have to have one in Kitchen, Hall, Landing etc so why not in an area where there would be a reasonable risk of any of these products failing and possible going on fire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

it's a very good point. The domestic regulations have always been more lax than commercial ones. I guess some people would say why not have one in every room along with break glass units. Why not cable it with firetuf cable and have a panel backed up by battery power linked to the fire station.

It's always hard to draw the line when it comes to fire protection. Most houses are not that big, most users compared to say a hotel could find their way out of their own house in the dark. These things are a percentage game I guess. The domestic regs have been strengthened to included increased audio notification, I guess hearing the alarm is seen as the priority over the amount of detectors installed/time you have before there is an alert.

The hotpress is a logical place to put one, as you said there is a requirement for one on top of the stairs and the hall I guess the thinking is that they will pick that up. Once you can hear the alarm, you can be out of your own house fairly quickly. There is also a lot to be said for a fire drill in a house too, very few people have them but they are a life saver, something small like leaving a key in a locked door could make all the difference.
    I think in time it will be a requirement as it is a hazardous zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I see your point about commercial regulations and Firetuf cables. The company I work for make some of these cables and regularly we have to do fire tests on these cables that include leaving them in direct concact with a naked flame for 120 minutes. Crazy stuff really. What building would need over 120 minutes to evacuate with fire door's etc every 50 yards etc:eek:

But getting back to the hotpress it's something I have thought a lot about. 99% of hotpresses have shelving with dry linen in them. All it take's is one spark and all those clothes, bedsheets or whatever are gone up. Even leaving aside the issue of evacuating the house in a hurry, if there was a smoke alarm in the hotpress a homeowner stands a far better chance of saving their property if the fire alarm installed in the hotpress rang within 20-30 second's of a spark landing. No alarm installed in the HP and a fire will have to be fairly advanced before a hall or landing alarm picks up smoke. Well that's what I think anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

cabledude wrote: »
    Even leaving aside the issue of evacuating the house in a hurry, if there was a smoke alarm in the hotpress a homeowner stands a far better chance of saving their property if the fire alarm installed in the hotpress rang within 20-30 second's of a spark landing. No alarm installed in the HP and a fire will have to be fairly advanced before a hall or landing alarm picks up smoke. Well that's what I think anyway....

I agree, I might put one in my hot press now, but I think that once again it is a priority issue, the regulations are concerned with saving lives not property, although stopping fires spreading from one property to another saves lives.

Anyway lets not open up the old argument with NSAI and RECI about electrical devices in the hotpress :eek:

If a 220V smoke detector causes a fire in a hotpress in the woods will we hear the chicken or the egg.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Why is it not required to have a smoke alarm in a hot press? You have to have one in Kitchen, Hall, Landing etc so why not in an area where there would be a reasonable risk of any of these products failing and possible going on fire.
    In my opinion, these are all low current devices. If properly installed they should not present a reasonable risk of going on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

2011 wrote: »
    In my opinion, these are all low current devices. If properly installed they should not present a reasonable risk of going on fire.

Low current doesn't mean that they wont spark out..

And it is not beyond the realms of possibility that devices may not be installed correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Low current doesn't mean that they wont spark out..
    True, but most electric fires are not caused by sparks (unless there is something like petrol lying around). They are due high currents and/or bad connections.

And it is not beyond the realms of possibility that devices may not be installed correctly.
    Nothing is but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Just my opinion!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Stoner wrote: »
    Anyway lets not open up the old argument with NSAI and RECI about electrical devices in the hotpress :eek:

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I think the thinking behind the smoke detector locations is they are installed in living spaces to make sure they are heard if other ones go off and in the areas used to escape in the event of a fire. Id say a fire in the hot press would set the landing detector off anyway. An interesting point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

cabledude wrote: »

Fireplaces, heaters, smoking and cooking are the leading causes of fires here apparently. Not too many of them in the hot press.

2011`s point about low current devices in the hot press would have to be valid, as long as they are properly fused they would present very low risk. The immersion takes a few amps but it has RCD protection and there is not much in it that can burn as long as towels or clothes are not lying on top of it. Most of the electrical devices in the hot press will be below the lowest shelf with the clothes on it. Id say the fire risk is very low in there.

Advertisement