Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tiles developing dark shadows!

• 02-01-2011 8:12pm
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

Lads,

hows it going.

The plumber cut through the kitchen floor which is tiled.Iv taken out the cut tiles and their parts an laid a single new row of tiles yesterday. Now this new row of tiles appears to be stained.It appears like darkish shadow maps of various countries!! Could this be just the moisture in the adhesive escaping through the tiles? Will it go away?
    Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks a lot,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Are the tiles lite in colour....Not coated but either porcelaine or marble,

Did you use grey adhesive instead of white...

Its most likely coming through.

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

thanks Joey,

yes the tiles are ceramic, cream in colour. The adhesive I used was some I had left over from when I tiled a new heart a few weeks ago. Its flexible tile adhesive. Standard set and light pink in colour. I used very little as there was no room for it but the exact spots were there was a dab is where it stains.A few got no adhesive at all as I had still a bit of the plumbers channel under the tiles to fill with concrete, and I just laid the tiles then directly on top. These also stained which led me to think its a moisture based problem. I brought the tiles in directly from the shed where they had been all through the freezing weather and laid them directly.
    Do tiles need to acclimatize?

Thanks again

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

johneym wrote: »
    thanks Joey,

yes the tiles are ceramic, cream in colour. The adhesive I used was some I had left over from when I tiled a new heart a few weeks ago. Its flexible tile adhesive. Standard set and light pink in colour. I used very little as there was no room for it but the exact spots were there was a dab is where it stains.A few got no adhesive at all as I had still a bit of the plumbers channel under the tiles to fill with concrete, and I just laid the tiles then directly on top. These also stained which led me to think its a moisture based problem. I brought the tiles in directly from the shed where they had been all through the freezing weather and laid them directly.
    Do tiles need to acclimatize?

Thanks again

John

I am betting its the adhesive comeing through. Porcelaine is porus unless sealed. Even then its slightly porus depending on the sealer.

Advertisement