Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating lease agreement early

Options
  • 02-01-2011 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi,

As the title says, the girlfriend and myself have decided to call it a day and she has moved out.

I'm still in the house and currently there is 3 months left on the lease. (1000euro p/m | 1000 euro deposit.)

I have emailed the estate agent to ask what they expect if we terminate the lease agreement early.

I think we're probably liable for the 3,000 to complete the contract but just want to get the opinion of people who have been in a similar situation/ find out what the generally agreed thing to do is...

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Ask nicely, explain the personal circumstances, but be prepared to lose your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Depends on how easy they'll think it'll be to get another tenant- expect to loose at least the deposit. You are liable for the rest of the three months unless you find another tenant to take over the last three months from you, but landlords are often reasonable in special circumstances, if they think they can find another tenant themselves in good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

if you find another tenant yourself you might get the deposit back and still not have to pay the €3000

a lot of lazy landlords take the easy way out and tell tenants to get their deposit back from the next tenant

Advertisement