Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calender Controversy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Lol, it was a bit incongruous to see the kids running up the road to ask her for a drink and her to pop her boob out! I would be an advocate for breastfeeding(but not to the stage where teeth are growing in, :eek:) I have to admit, her kids never seemed to have the normal childhood ailments so maybe she was right.... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Discodog wrote: »
    If you look at fashion adverts from the 1930's many featured models with dogs. Dogs were a huge fashion accessory especially Greyhounds - wouldn't it be nice to see them like that again !

How often do we know of someone who gets a dog, for whatever reason, & stays detached. Right now thousands of "detached" dogs are sitting alone in kennels. Maybe the artist was influenced by the fact that many dogs are bought on the whim.

^^The two paragraphs in this post are a contradiction of each other!
    Whispered wrote: »
    Wouldn't you say that dogs as fashion accessories is one of the biggest problems rescues face at the moment, flavour of the month, discarded when the next fad pops up. Which brings up the question - is it irresponsible for a rescue to show dogs as fashion accessories?

^^This is also my opinion on the subject. I already waste enough of my life grinding my teeth at the sight of dogs in handbags with diamante collars on and 'big hard men' with there restricted breeds, and there are dogs being handed into rescues because they don't match the new furniture. I'm sure plenty of people on here have chosen their dog because of how it looks but there's plenty more already going that step further and crossing the line. No way do I want to see dogs being promoted as fashion accessories more.

That first pic you posted there is very different from the ASH calender images, the man there is focusing his full attention on the dog, he's far from detatched from the dog and isn't staring into space with an empty expression on his face. I completely 'get' that image. The second (with the greyhound) I don't like, it's basicly in the same context as the calender pics, again with the detatchment from the dog which seems to only be there because it matches asthetically.
    adser53 wrote: »
    How's about this for controversial... :eek::eek::eek:

I feel unable to make unbiased comment on that picture and the context because David Hasselhoff makes me want to vomit at the best of times :p.

<Off Topic>
    "Get out of my dreams, Get into my car" ?!? Like anyone would want to get into his car :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I wish i could post the pic i took on my mobile phone this morning, whilst literally trapped in my bed in between 2 sleeping cats stretched full length on either side of me.
    There is no feeling in the world like the warmth a pet can bring.
    IMHO images that show how attached someone can get to a dog or cat would be a great promo for publicity for animal welfare. It would be really nice to see images relating to the real love you can feel for your pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

^^The two paragraphs in this post are a contradiction of each other!

Now I definitely know that you are female :D. Many contradict me so I might as well join in !. I would love to see Greyhounds being perceived as a desirable dog & not something that can be killed, en mass, at will.

The detached comment was in reference to the models looking detached from the dogs. A "fashion" or "fad" dog can be bought on a whim but that doesn't mean that they will always be neglected. I think it depends on the breed & the type of people that are attracted by the fashion.

Right now there is a very scary fashion for "defence" dogs in the UK & it is causing no end of problems.

I now have my calendar & it is superb. "That image" does stand out a little but the rest of the photos are like a mix of Burlesque & Pop Art with a lot of humour. Each page has a title & the "breastfeeding" one is under a headline saying "Mad March" !.

The calendar is very informative with a page dedicated to the featured dogs & another half page to ASH. All the months are sponsors by people like Bray Vet Clinic, Pet Sitters Ireland etc.

I have been involved with a few calendars & I would rate this highly - its a work of Art. The only problem that I can see is how do they follow it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I thought that looking at the other ones, they're a bit of quirky fun. Where have you got the calendar displayed? Will you leave it there during march :D

Whispered wrote: »
    I thought that looking at the other ones, they're a bit of quirky fun. Where have you got the calendar displayed? Will you leave it there during march :D

It's almost too nice to put up. I am seriously thinking of getting another one to put to one side. It will be on display & yes it will be there during March. Everyone here knows that I am bonkers so a bit of boob won't make any difference.

I think that you should get one for hubby :D.

It's a bit hypocritical of Pete Wedderburn to criticise it when Bray Vet are one of the sponsors. Their sponsored image is of a buxom lady offering a steak to a staffie !

There has been an update to the statement made by the photographer which clarifies things more:

"I may have been a bit harsh in my blog there - it was written during the worst of the press-attention and sometimes emotions take over. Having said that, I completly disagree with you in us having sexualised a puppy! The March-image - as you say - is the one image that is raising eye-brows - to me I understand and see what Karol Liver is projecting; nurturing! He's projecting the love, care, attention and nurtutring many women feel for their pets. To allot of people the pets are like their children and they treat them that way. When I look at the image of the puppy sleeping up against Agata's breast, I see a happy, content, cared for puppy and Agata is looking right at you as if she's asking you for your opinion....

An image very well planned, captured and very suitable for our project in raising awareness around or charity - which is ASH Animal Rescue.

The March image will of course be posted on my website - for the March month. If you have followed the press and our online presence you would have seen that we have used the march-image quiet a bit. And I know it's hard to believe - but we didn't put the image in the calendar for the shock-factor.....we were actually taken by surprise by the press and their projection of the calendar as we never expected such a media-frenzie, we thought people were more open-mineded...However as it is a fundraising-project the aim is to raise as much money as possible for the Charity, so we have to run with whatever happens - in this case all the contraversy and attention around the calendar has helped the cause and increaed the sales.

Thank you for seeing all the thought and hard work that has gone into it!
    Everybody has their own opinion of the March-image - To me however, there's absolutely nothing sexual about the image."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

It's almost too nice to put up. I am seriously thinking of getting another one to put to one side. It will be on display & yes it will be there during March. Everyone here knows that I am bonkers so a bit of boob won't make any difference.

I think that you should get one for hubby :D.

To me, you have just negated your whole argument, with that statement and smiley, in my opinion you are saying that that image is sexual in nature, and that men will enjoy looking at it for that reason.

ISDW wrote: »
    To me, you have just negated your whole argument, with that statement and smiley, in my opinion you are saying that that image is sexual in nature, and that men will enjoy looking at it for that reason.

Actually the "breastfeeding" image is probably one of the least sexual images. Burlesque is sexual but it is an artistic sexuality & very tongue in cheek. I applaud the producers for doing something different & extending the market beyond that for typical doggy calendars. Yes this will appeal to men & is that necessarily bad. Far more dogs get abused by men than by women.

The legendary Pirelli Calendars are way more explicit & yet have become collectors items attracting the top photographers & models. They fetch thousands at auction. A lot of the team behind Puppy love are Europeans & have a much more enlightened view of sexuality than maybe some here do. If they were producing this calendar anywhere else in Europe there would not of been such a fuss.

Mrs Brown sums it up with 800,000 viewers & a load of complaints. You really cannot please all of the people all of the time - especially in Ireland.

Actually the "breastfeeding" image is probably one of the least sexual images. Burlesque is sexual but it is an artistic sexuality & very tongue in cheek. I applaud the producers for doing something different & extending the market beyond that for typical doggy calendars. Yes this will appeal to men & is that necessarily bad. Far more dogs get abused by men than by women.

The legendary Pirelli Calendars are way more explicit & yet have become collectors items attracting the top photographers & models. They fetch thousands at auction. A lot of the team behind Puppy love are Europeans & have a much more enlightened view of sexuality than maybe some here do. If they were producing this calendar anywhere else in Europe there would not of been such a fuss.

Mrs Brown sums it up with 800,000 viewers & a load of complaints. You really cannot please all of the people all of the time - especially in Ireland.

Thats fine, but all the way though you've said its art, and not sexual in nature, and now you're saying that its something different - in my opinion:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

How patronising and pathetic. Because we don't agree with what they've done, we don't 'get it' and we're backwards Irish people living in the bog, seriously? Its art dahling, we're just too stupid to appreciate it. Amazing work, how hard is it to stand there dressed like that clutching a puppy? Maybe if they actually went into ASH and cleaned out the kennels, or did the transport runs they'd understand what rescue work is.

I suppose there is an equally patronising/condescending approach can be take the opposite way in that who would buy such a product, noone I know...man or woman;)
    Thats fine, but all the way though you've said its art, and not sexual in nature, and now you're saying that its something different - in my opinion:D

well if its not sexual then I am Brad Pitt:D

You said that deliberately knowing that I would have to read though all the drivel that I had posted on thread to check ;). I do not find the "breastfeeding" image sexual but I definitely see some of the others as sexual. Yes I know - typical man but at least I admit it :D. To be honest I would be far more worried if I didn't perceive them as sexual but they are definitely art.

Ok now this lady just happens to be wearing a lace up & fishnets when she decides to give the dog a cuddle but I would never interpret it as she "fancies" her dog.

4802077.jpg

ppink wrote: »
    I suppose there is an equally patronising/condescending approach can be take the opposite way in that who would buy such a product, noone I know...man or woman;)

well if its not sexual then I am Brad Pitt:D

In fairness I think that the photographer has apologised for those remarks in the update above.

I think most people would accept that some images are sexual, in that the images of the women might appeal to men (EDIT. have to add gay women as my neighbour is about to order ). But they are not sexual in the sense of wanting to do inappropriate things with your dog :eek:.

Clearly some images are manufactured. You wouldn't want to risk doing this for real:

1929918.png

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

^^^ those dogs obviously think that lady is hot :D

Seriously though, I can't understand how this has caused so much controversy. It's tame enough in my book - after all this I might buy one!

DBCyc wrote: »
    ^^^ those dogs obviously think that lady is hot :D

Well she wouldn't want them to run away :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Well she wouldn't want them to run away :eek:

Ah, they're not going anywhere!

I dunno, I think I just find the whole thing of sexual images and animals together in the one pic kind of creepy.....well in fact major league creepy for me. Obviously each on their own is fine:D
    the same way I feel about a dog in the bedroom = no sex.

Well thankfully they only put the girls in underwear !

247880633_37ed72c82c.jpg

So does everyone else remove the dog before bonking - come on you can tell us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

sligopark wrote: »
    I think Egar puts it best - bestality - breast feeding is what occurs human to human - this was intended to push boundaries in an Ireland now where relativism is abound - what if a famous gay chap was photographed feeding a pup one of their sexual organs - although now thankfully famous rich folk like Elton John have moved on to purchasing children ...

shameful to sexualise a pup

*facepalm*

Bestiality is something sexual between different species.
    There is NOTHING sexual about breastfeeding, that is the intended purpose for breasts, not sexual titilation.

Also breasts are not sexual organs, the vagina and penis/testicles are. Our culture has assigned sexual meanings to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Discodog, it doesn't surprise me in the least, that you find the calendar attractive.

• Advertisement

EGAR wrote: »
    Discodog, it doesn't surprise me in the least, that you find the calendar attractive.

Thank you for recognising my manliness ;). The offer still stands for me to pose for your calendar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Thank you for recognising my manliness ;). The offer still stands for me to pose for your calendar :D

No thank, I have standards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

*facepalm*

Bestiality is something sexual between different species.
    There is NOTHING sexual about breastfeeding, that is the intended purpose for breasts, not sexual titilation.

Also breasts are not sexual organs, the vagina and penis/testicles are. Our culture has assigned sexual meanings to them.

classic bullsh1t - thats why page 3 works ....

disco dog the bully in human underwear is a laugh - when its hanging off a sexual organ it becomes a different thing altogether

classic bullsh1t - thats why page 3 works ....

disco dog the bully in human underwear is a laugh - when its hanging off a sexual organ it becomes a different thing altogether

Here's where your going wrong Sligopark, breasts are not sexual organs, sexual organs are any of the anatomical parts of the body which are involved in reproduction. In female mammals these include the cervix, clitorus, Fallopian tubes, ovaries, vagina, vulva, etc.
    Breasts are a secondary sexual characteristics that are a result of hormones released by the sexual organs. If you insist on saying that breasts are a sexual organ, well then a mans facial hair is a sexual organ(as it too results directly from the release of hormones from the sexual organs)-Hide your beard, quick!!! You could offend someone!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

here comes PC anatomically correct poster to sort us all out - so many heterosexual folk have been wrong for centuries checking out female tits and glorifying them as objects of sexualisation

whaa whoo

now I feel better after your post - world peace and non sexualisation has now ensued - thank you

here comes PC anatomically correct poster to sort us all out - so many heterosexual folk have been wrong for centuries checking out female tits and glorifying them as objects of sexualisation

whaa whoo

now I feel better after your post - world peace and non sexualisation has now ensued - thank you

Surely thats a cultural thing though? In many cultures, I'm sure breasts aren't sexualised. I don't see how you can keep arguing that breasts are a sexual organ, they are not. Just because you are attracted to them does not make you right;)

Do you also find man boobs attractive?

eh yes I 'm gay

eh yes I 'm gay

OK, I'll rephrase it, do you think that women find man boobs attractive? Or even gay men?

:eek::eek::eek: **shudder**

• Advertisement

whaa whoo

No, not "PC anatomically correct" at all, i just happen to know what i'm talking about. I'm beginning to think you don't however. There are many tribes in sub-Saharan Africa and South America that don't see breasts as "objects of sexualisation" upper body nudity is the norm in their daily life, in fact its the buttocks that are the objects of lust.

Advertisement