Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wardrobes

• 02-01-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

I want to fill up an alcove 2' D x 7'7" H x 11' L with wardrobes .
    Whats the best way to go about this. I can do some diy.
    Should I just buy some flat pack and put together and if so where should I buy .
    Would it be expensive to have this space Fitted.
    Any ideas welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You can buy flat pack stuff, but thats not guaranteed to fit the hole that you have properly, pardon the pun.

Contact a carpenter and they can price you for a bespoke fitting for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You could do it yourself but you would have to be confident that you have the ability and the Tools. Wardrobe units are modular in size a bit like Kitchen cabinets. You need to work out the size of each Module that is 4, 5 or 600 wide.
    You may end up with a filler piece at the end. After deciding on the Size units check that you can get the Doors to Match. After that it's just Labour, you will also need a second set of hands for lifting etc. In the long run it may be better to let someone else do all the work as the saving will not be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

Thanks for replys.
    Any idea how much labour might be . Would it be an idea to let a carpenter make a frame and some shelves and then just buy doors to fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Thanks for replys.
    Any idea how much labour might be . Would it be an idea to let a carpenter make a frame and some shelves and then just buy doors to fit.

What area are you in. I can give you a price if you want. All I need is measurements and samples can be brought to pick from

Thanks for replys.

Why not get them to just do the lot instead. A Chippie will be able to provide doors too, especially if they are bespoke dimensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Have a look at the AURA range that Homebase and B&Q do. You could use some sliding doors to complete the job.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Have a look at the AURA range that Homebase and B&Q do. You could use some sliding doors to complete the job.

i have heard complaints with the B&Q sliders when using full length doors.

His height is nearly 8 feet. That work out as heavy.

After i fitted one of their kitchens I swore I would never go near them again.

I dont know about Homebase. And the type I fitted was not AURA. unless it has been rebranded.

Homebase kitchens are reasonably good. I didn't do too badly with the one I got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

gsxr1 wrote: »
    i have heard complaints with the B&Q sliders when using full length doors.

His height is nearly 8 feet. That work out as heavy.

After i fitted one of their kitchens I swore I would never go near them again.

I dont know about Homebase. And the type I fitted was not AURA. unless it has been rebranded.

I used 3 x sliding doors for an approx 7' opening in an alcove, no issues.

2 of these and 1 full mirrored one.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10667986&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372143%7d&fh_search=sliding+door&fh_refview=search&ts=1294168871811&isSearch=false

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

gsxr1 wrote: »
    great price on them TBH.

Thats the UK website and also a UK/Sterling price and not euro.

Just so you know.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭keith gallagher

You can buy strips of melamine chipboard in various finishes from oak to cherry or walnut or beech. White and cream chip is commonly used and you can iron over the existing edging with a pvc edging to suit whatever vinyl wrapped door you can get. The chipboard strips come 600mm deep by 8' long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I should have said make sure and use 18mm Panels as 15mm is to weak to stand alone. For the difference in price the 18mm is so much better.
    Noyeks or the Paneling centre are probably the best source. Draw it all out on paper first so as you know where you are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,621 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I got a run of three wardrobe sections from Cash and Carry Kitchens. Good price and we were very impressed at how well they went together. My daughter and I put them together (2 women :D), 5 or so years later they are still perfect.

The only thing you have to watch is if you assemble them face down so you can put the backs on, you have to be sure the diagonal of the side will clear the ceiling.

We put the plastic bolts that you get for kitchen presses through the units to hold them together (bolts were not provided) and put one angle on the top to hold them to the wall, though they seemed quite secure just standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you own the house why not just make your own built-in wardrobe. It shouldn't be too difficult for someone with reasonable DIY skills. Fix a wooden frame around the front and back of the alcove and hang the doors. The alcove will provide the back and side walls so there's no need to use expensive sheets of melamine chipboard. You can arrange the interior however you want, e.g. shelves down one side, along the top or bottom and a nicely finished built-in also adds value to a property.

Advertisement