Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Goods

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

laidarnuca wrote: »
    I'm asking because often goths play guitars and you often see goths carrying them thats why I asked I did not mean to offend you.

I just really find it hard to believe that someone walked up to you in westside and offered you guitar pedals however if you were a goth or musical type I coud fully understand how someone would make the connection.

Just to clarify it was guitar pedals you were offered wasn't it?

Wasn't guitar pedals, tbh I can't remember what I was offered in Westside. Something electrical I think but can't be sure, I just kept walking. The van out in Salthill had all electrical goods (Tvs, dvd and cd players, laptops, even a garden trimmer). Someone who has something to sell, will attempt to sell it. Doesn't matter if it's a laptop, dvd player, guitar pedals or a snare drum. They will do their best to sell it and if that means asking anyone walking by then they'll chance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 laidarnuca

Wasn't guitar pedals, tbh I can't remember what I was offered in Westside. Something electrical I think but can't be sure, I just kept walking. The van out in Salthill had all electrical goods) (Tvs, dvd and cd players, laptops, even a garden trimmer. Someone who has something to sell, will attempt to sell it. Doesn't matter if it's a laptop, dvd player, guitar pedals or a snare drum. They will do their best to sell it and if that means asking anyone walking by then they'll chance it.

Oh I see my mistake I was under the illusion that someone offered you guitar pedals......Silly me.

I suppose it makes sense that you were offered (Tvs, dvd and cd players, laptops, even a garden trimmer) goods that almost everbody uses.

I stand by what I said before I really dont think that anybody would walk up to a complete stanger on the street and offer them guitar pedals.

It seems that eagle has notified people on the guitar forum and these people with use for these goods are aware that they maybe offered to them.
    I really woul like to see eagle gethis stuff back espcially in spite of how posters treated him on this thread.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I was offered a small bag of Martin strings and a set of new golf balls on the prom a few years ago. 'Seller' was drunk as a skunk and looked more like they wanted to sell them to continue on the tear, and a good chance the strings were theirs (some people buy them in bulk online). I have NO idea
    about the golf balls though!! I wasn't carrying an instrument or wearing any hair gel that day just for ref! :)

OP posted details in another forum, and some people thought it fair enough to ask contents to keep an eye out, I can see that.
    I think there has been a bit of misunderstanding on both sides of this, and hope you get your stuff back OP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

BOLO for a dodgy looking guitar pedal peddler....

Not your ornery onager

Hope Eagle gets stuff back!
    Hopefully someone here can help him out!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

inisboffin wrote: »
    I was offered a small bag of Martin strings and a set of new golf balls on the prom a few years ago. 'Seller' was drunk as a skunk and looked more like they wanted to sell them to continue on the tear, and a good chance the strings were theirs (some people buy them in bulk online). I have NO idea
    about the golf balls though!! I wasn't carrying an instrument or wearing any hair gel that day just for ref! :)

OP posted details in another forum, and some people thought it fair enough to ask contents to keep an eye out, I can see that.
    I think there has been a bit of misunderstanding on both sides of this, and hope you get your stuff back OP

ps if the person who robbed this was high as a kite, I don't think it beyond the realm of possibility that they would offer anything to anyone. People in that situation are not rational and sometimes desperate.

I stand by what I said before I really dont think that anybody would walk up to a complete stanger on the street and offer them guitar pedals.

That's fine, no one is arguing with you over that opinion although I am entitled to disagree with it. Purely based on personal experience of course.

By the way, I do play guitar, so I have bucket loads of sympathy for the OP.
    Let's leave it at that shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Wasn't guitar pedals, tbh I can't remember what I was offered in Westside
    LOL!!!

so we've come to the conclusion that you've never in actual fact been offered any specialized piece of musical equipment such as:

Ibanez tubescreamer ts9 well giggeg fairly scratched up.
    Tc electronic polytune very good condition.
    Line 6 distortion modler ok condition with psu and expression pedal, plus my leads and patch leads.

sorry this thread has gotten so rediculous eagle but it's so pathetic it's almost funny!
    hopefully you received some helpful info, looks like galwayps may have a lead for you on a description of the thief and others have made some good suggestions such as check pawn shops etc.

hopefully some good comes of this thread for you:)

That's fine, no one is arguing with you over that opinion although I am entitled to disagree with it. Purely based on personal experience of course.

By the way, I do play guitar, so I have bucket loads of sympathy for the OP.
    Let's leave it at that shall we?

Fair enough would be nice if they recoverd there stuff.:D:D:D

magentas wrote: »
    LOL!!!

so we've come to the conclusion that you've never in actual fact been offered any specialized piece of musical equipment such as:

sorry this thread has gotten so rediculous eagle but it's so pathetic it's almost funny!

I didn't say I had been offered musical equipment specifically, only that I had been offered - on a few occasions - stolen goods face to face (when walking about minding my own business.

As for the ridiculous aspects of some of the posts involved, you don't need to look much further than your own in this and in the other thread. That's what's pathetic Magentas.

• Advertisement

Who on earth would walk up to a complete stranger on the street and offer them guitar pedals?
    Has it ever hapened to you?
    As a matter of fact yes, on a few occasions actually. Once in Westside (crossing the green one evening around 6 years ago), 1 time when leaving college (laptop offered 4 years ago) and twice when working in Salthill (in 2001 van pulls up, opens side door and asks a few of us on our lunch break do we need anything).

I to was under the illusion that you were offered guitar pedals from a stranger on the street.

I think its a little bit obvious from these posts.
    I think I can see how there is confusion between you magenta.

"As for the ridiculous aspects of some of the posts involved, you don't need to look much further than your own in this and in the other thread. That's what's pathetic Magentas."

Is there a rule about crossthreading?
    Not taking sides just pointing out an observation that confused me also.

Like you said maybe could have been "worded better"

I didn't say I had been offered musical equipment specifically, only that I had been offered - on a few occasions - stolen goods face to face (when walking about minding my own business.

As for the ridiculous aspects of some of the posts involved, you don't need to look much further than your own in this and in the other thread. That's what's pathetic Magentas.
    I'm not the one that's nitpicking details of a theft and trying to bring what should be a helpful thread waaay off topic from what it's original aim was...ie.seeking information on a thief

everyone is entitled to their opinion happyoutscan but I feel really sorry for the abuse the OP has suffered on this thread from yourself and other posters and it's not cool

All I said was I thought the OP should have better manners when asking us to keep an eye out (I see Post 2 as a general query seeking more info on what was missing, albeit it with a touch of humour that some don't agree with).
    Just my simple opinon. That is not 'abuse'. If you disagree with that Magentas I do not care because you seem to be having a go at everyone left, right and centre.

Regardings the pedals being offered, I took her question to imply 'stolen goods' and not specifically guitar pedals. In any event, our opinions differ on whether or not guitar pedals could possibly be hawked on the street.

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    I kinda wanted to help originally, but given your responses, I couldn't really give a toss anymore.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    I went down Presentation Road on Sunday morning as well and saw plenty of illegal activity. Cars parked on the footpath. I was disgusted.
    Would you fit a jar of manners in that case??
    mikom wrote: »
    Lol

Outscan imo I would consider all of the above abuse.

At a time when a victim of crime needs nourishment not punishment.

I really hold the above posters in low regard due to thier posts.

But then again thats just my opinion I would not dare force it on anyone however I would expect that anyone with an ounce of compasion would feel much the same as me:o

yes I do disagree and I do think the OP and his genuine request for help in identifying the thief was ridiculed.
    I am not "having a go" at anyone, merely supporting a victim of crime that came here seeking help

Outscan imo I would consider all of the above abuse.

At a time when a victim of crime needs nourishment not punishment.

I really hold the above posters in low regard due to thier posts.

But then again thats just my opinion I would not dare force it on anyone however I would expect that anyone with an ounce of compasion would feel much the same as me:o

I wouldn't call any of those comments 'abusive', not by a country mile. Are you actually serious in considering those to be abusive? Those aren't abusive in the slightest, perhaps unhelpful and unnecessary but abusive? No way.

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    I kinda wanted to help originally, but given your responses, I couldn't really give a toss anymore.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    I went down Presentation Road on Sunday morning as well and saw plenty of illegal activity. Cars parked on the footpath. I was disgusted.
    Would you fit a jar of manners in that case??
    I wouldn't call any of those comments 'abusive', not by a country mile. Are you actually serious in considering those to be abusive? Those aren't abusive in the slightest, perhaps unhelpful and unnecessary but abusive? No way.

Sorry I have to disagree with you I'll explain myself.
    Bings comment it's how it was worded. "Couldn't give a toss" I can think of many bettter less abusive ways to express someones apathy that is a harsh vulgar comment. IMO

Michael comment. I asked you to explain earlier and you failed to do so satisfactory. Where were the lack of manners shown? That statement is IMO quite abusive to OP Could Michael not of said something along the line of "ease up we are trying to help you" that is if michael felt that eagle was not being as friendly as he would of liked.

Snubbs comment kick a guy when he's down serious crime has been commited and they insult OP by saying they were disgusted by the parking.
    Jst another way of getting a boot in a man when he is down.

Like I said before thats just my opinion.

I think these people acted inapropeatley towards OP.
    I wonder were any of them bar snubb in the vicinity at the time?

I dont consider myself senseitive hower I do consider those comments abusive.

Now could we move on and reember the origina post about a theft from a car:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I wasn't in the area at the time, so didn't witness said theft.
    However, having had musical equipment stolen on me in the past, I would have been able to offer suggestions as to where the OP might look if he wanted to find his stuff.
    To do this, I would have needed to know what was stolen, and being the helpful gent that I am, would have asked the OP what the case contained, (because as it turns out there are hundreds of similar silver cases in the city and I'd hate to bear false witness etc).
    Had the OP replied with details I could immediately have directed him to the pawn shops /websites/ etc (most have already been suggested in this thread or the other). However, had the OP replied with a) no answer to my question and b) aggressively, I would not have been able to assist him, but my curiosity would have been piqued, and I would certainly suspect that there was something fishy afoot. Being curious I would subtly have enquired jokingly as to whether the contents were illegal.
    Being a compassionate fellow, I could, I suppose, understand that the OP would be in foul humour and mightn't be thinking terribly rationally, causing him to be rather curt with those who were trying to help him.
    What I don't get is the posters who come on here to offer no help, seem blind to the obvious above reasoning, and proceed to whinge and moan about how unhelpful other posters are, derailing the thread entirely in the process...

It was entertaining for a while, granted, but it's getting boring now.

OP - I hope you get your stuff back, but for future reference - if you want help from people it's best to be up-front with them. I'm sure there's a really nice proverbial analogy/fable somewhere, but I just can't think of it right now.

Ficheall he asked about the thief not the contents of the case.

I suggested that he keep an eye on classified ads in magazines/papers and on-line.

Your helpful advice is what exactly? or do you just like to whinge and moan?:rolleyes:

Tbh, I'd be surprised if the local Gardaí didn't already know the suspect mentioned here, and his probable whereabouts. Galway is not that big a place, after all.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    I wasn't in the area at the time, so didn't witness said theft.
    However, having had musical equipment stolen on me in the past, I would have been able to offer suggestions as to where the OP might look if he wanted to find his stuff.
    To do this, I would have needed to know what was stolen, and being the helpful gent that I am, would have asked the OP what the case contained, (because as it turns out there are hundreds of similar silver cases in the city and I'd hate to bear false witness etc).
    Had the OP replied with details I could immediately have directed him to the pawn shops /websites/ etc (most have already been suggested in this thread or the other). However, had the OP replied with a) no answer to my question and b) aggressively, I would not have been able to assist him, but my curiosity would have been piqued, and I would certainly suspect that there was something fishy afoot. Being curious I would subtly have enquired jokingly as to whether the contents were illegal.
    Being a compassionate fellow, I could, I suppose, understand that the OP would be in foul humour and mightn't be thinking terribly rationally, causing him to be rather curt with those who were trying to help him.
    What I don't get is the posters who come on here to offer no help, seem blind to the obvious above reasoning, and proceed to whinge and moan about how unhelpful other posters are, derailing the thread entirely in the process...

It was entertaining for a while, granted, but it's getting boring now.

OP - I hope you get your stuff back, but for future reference - if you want help from people it's best to be up-front with them. I'm sure there's a really nice proverbial analogy/fable somewhere, but I just can't think of it right now.

From what I Can gather OP had posted on guitar forum all the details of the stolen goods before this thread so that the people that this equipment may make use of be aware of it.
    And also it's obvious from this thread that the guardi had been informed off all the details.
    I'm guessing that OP posted this thread as a last resort to get maybe a description on a possible culprit Which it seems he allready had somewhat of a description.

IMO nosiness then prevalled how many of the above posters where actually in that area at the time?

Mabe OP hadother reasons for not wanting everyone knowing what had been stolen perhaps if the whole of galway city was looking for these particular items they may never show up (too hot)thats just my idea.

Maybe ficheal you should pm OP and maybe you could be of some help in retrieving the items, but it does appear that not everybody wanted to be as elpfull aas you

BTW why does everyone presume the items were illegal when OP suggested that if anyone had any information to contact the Guardi?

Look this is going nowhere, the OP is ONLY looking for information regarding the thief and suspicious behaviour outside the church on Presentation road at 11am last sunday morning.
    TBH I don't think the goods are in galway now, the place is too small for selling on stuff like that

If anyone actually knows or saw anything, I'm sure any helpful information would be appreciated

Let's try to keep the input positive:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

often goths play guitars and you often see goths carrying them

Jaysus... It's cultural profiling like that that our grandaddys fought and died to prevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ive stayed out of this till now but I really think people have to go back to the start of the thread again.
    First post: someone asks about a case being stolen from a car.

Post 2: asks what was in the case?
    That was also my first thought as I know various people who are into music and I may have been able to help if I knew what was stolen. Granted the poster shouldnt have used 'suspicious' but it might have been meant as 'stand out' or 'something different'. Also a lot of people wouldnt know what a Flight Case is.
    If someone posted looking for a 'LOST CAT' the first thing would be to ask what colour/pics etc.

Eagle then lost the head (I wouldnt blame him in real time, but on the Internet he had time to think) by laying into people who were trying to help. The stuff that was stolen was only linked to later and that was also done with in a bad manner. Its not like everyone reads the Guitar Forum or whatever to know whats going on.

Eagle, I hope you get your stuff back but do realise we like to help in the Galway Forum as opposed to some of your responses to other peoples querys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

magentas wrote: »
    Look this is going nowhere, the OP is ONLY looking for information regarding the thief and suspicious behaviour outside the church on Presentation road at 11am last sunday morning.
    TBH I don't think the goods are in galway now, the place is too small for selling on stuff like that

If anyone actually knows or saw anything, I'm sure any helpful information would be appreciated

Let's try to keep the input positive:)
    I'd have a guess that the goods have been dumped or are just lying around someones house now. I also have a feeling it wasn't the suspect mentioned earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tomfodge

Man seen fitting that drscription with silver case new years morning by city taxi driver.

I will pm contact details.

Result!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

esel wrote: »
    Result!

Yep all this information helps

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

often goths play guitars and you often see goths carrying them

Best read in a David Attenborough voice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement