Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which phone? What network?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I’m looking for some help and guidance please. I’m finally out of my phone contract, and would like to upgrade to a smartphone, but have no idea which one I should be taking a very close look at, and also, which network I should be looking at more.

Firstly, networks. I’m on O2 at the moment, but from looking at other providers, for what I’m looking for, there appears to be better value out there. I’m slightly reluctant though to sign myself up for another 18 month contract with a provider that doesn’t have great service in my house (ratoath), my parents house (templeogue), and parents summer house (coast wexford) (btw, O2 works in all locations for me). With O2 and Vodafone, they say that they cover 95% of the country, whereas the other providers only say population coverage (this seriously puts me off them.) I know I can try them out for 14 days, but I don’t particularly want to go to the hassle of changing, to find it really doesn’t work. I’m thinking of getting a free sim, and seeing if I can try it out in my handset. I presume this is an option? I seem to generally use around 100 mins talk, and 200 texts (and would like min 1gb data).

And then there’s the phone. I need a phone that firstly makes calls and texts (and because I really want good reception indoors, a good antenna.) I find my phone handy for taking photos, so would ideally like a good camera in it. I’d also like to use it as a sat nav. While i’d probably like to be able to use other apps on it, i’m not sure how many or what ones i’d use. I definitely think it would be handy to be able to play videos and cartoons on it for the kids, esp when i’m got on the hop with no portable dvd player. I like the look of the nokia N8, but not the os its on, and the fact that it will probably be discontinued (but the camera looks great). The Samsung galaxy has been recommended, but I don’t know what its antenna is like, or the camera (5mpx). I remember when getting my last camera, was told that the 5mpx on my phone (sony), was better then the 8mpx on the Samsung! The HTC range has been recommended too – but I don’t know which one to go for? I don’t want to spend more than €200 on it, and preferably the closer to €100 the better :)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,228 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

alowe wrote: »
    With O2 and Vodafone, they say that they cover 95% of the country, whereas the other providers only say population coverage (this seriously puts me off them

Network wise Vodafone, 3 and o2 have the best coverage especially if your considering a smart phone. I hate to say it but I reckon the iphone4 is probably the one to get. It just easier to use than android for someone as a first smart phone.
    The n8 is a powerhouse but sadly let down with it's software but the camera is awsome. Don't get me wrong the n8 is very usable and there's not much you can't do with it. I wouldn't scratch it off the list based on other peoples opinions it might be the right phone for you, so could a sony w995 which would be a lot cheaper to use very month as it's not a smart smart phone but it's still a smart phone only you don't need to get it on an 18mt contract.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Thanks drunkmonkey. I'm glad to hear 3 could be a runner network wise. I think to be sure, they have a free sim offer - so might pick up a card and put 10e on it and test!

Although i've never used a smartphone (or a touchscreen one either), i'm not that adverse to technology, so reckon I should be able to get to grips with whatever os the phone gives me. While a lot of friends all say the iphone 4, i'm just not convinced its worth the extra money (plus the antenna thing puts me off, and the camera is only suppose to be 'ok' - it also seems to be gadgets first, phone second - whereas I really prefer phone first, gadget second).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fuzzyducky5

I use a HTC Desire and am on the Meteor Network. I find it works for me :)
    HTC is one of the leading brands in smartphone technology and one of their phones won the phone of the year 2010. The Desire just missed out on winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Op you really should be considering the N8 imo, I think to many people are ruling it out without trying it first.

I like the N8, and it ticks a lot of the boxes for me ... but my only worry is what I read on here about the os, that its only been used by Nokia, and is on the way out, so therefore apparently isn't been supported, and not nearly as many app's for it - and would I not be right in thinking, if the os is been scrapped, then there wont' be new apps for it?

I thought I saw that Nokia are planning on moving to android- if I got the N8, is it possibly to change os? Or should I wait longer for nokia to change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They are moving toward android style updates, rather than android itself. The N8 is running on S^3, but will be up datable to S^4 when its launches etc, and all apps along with it so its going to be updates like this as time goes on. Im not saying go for the N8, just check it out fully, go play with it yourself first before you decide, as you said yourself it ticks a lot of boxes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 conorby

Cant recommend iphone highly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

Well if contract price is also a consideration...

I got the N8 with emobile on a €14 a month contract (18 months) which gets you 100 mins & 100 texts a month. I've added on 1gb data allowance for €10 a month. So for €24 you are getting far more than any other network offer.

Phone itself cost €139 online, €149 in the shop.

I cannot recommend the N8 highly enough - it does get slated because it isn't Ios/Android, but IMO it is a superior phone to any other out there, especially if the camera and mapping is important for you. These are the best on any phone available, simple as that.

The OS works very well for me, often have several applications going at one time and have never had a problem.

Swype is also the greatest thing invented for mobiles, get that for it.

Very happy with my decision anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

mollser wrote: »
    So for €24 you are getting far more than any other network offer.
    Meteor do offer 200 mins, 200 texts and 1 gig data (and free meteor talk and texts with online sign up and port from another network) for €25 p/month on a rolling 30 day contract with Bill Pay Smart Lite (reduced rate for 12 months, 30 p/m thereafter).

Obviously, if you don't get a good meteor signal (or if you have other reasons for a different network, e.g. friends and family with another provider) it's academic, but said I'd mention it as it is a good deal. Without signing a long term contract, you also don't get a reduced handset (so worth checking the benefits of being tied in to a 12/18 month contract against the reductions you'd get on a handset) so another slight caveat.

There is/was (some suggestions it's still available in store, but you'd have to check that out, it's gone from the website atm) a great offer on the Samsung Wave that might have suited you (although I can't comment on the quality of the camera and if the sat nav is important to you there are better options - like the N8 - in that area) sim free for €149 (or €134 with discounts). Worth keeping an eye on the wave thread in the bargain alerts section if it might be of interest (and would suit the smart lite option mentioned perfectly, if the coverage is up to scratch).

Unfort meteor isn't an option as it doesn't have reception in one of my needed location (my dad is on meteor).

I don't mind been in an 18mth contract, its just that I don't want to sign up for one without been entirely happy with both reception and phone.

I was in 3 (in northern ireland) today, and chatted to them about phones. Their recommendations (knowing that I wouldn't be buying off them) was the htc desire hd. Reason for not getting the nokia was ease of use with a pc (esp as I want gmail/outlook). iphone wasn't recommended as i'm not a mac person, and don't have an ipod or anything 'i'. The only bad thing I gather about the htc hd is battery life - it seems that you need to charge the phone every night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

hi alowe, i posted this in the "talk to 3" thread the other day in response to another user who had a similar query. i wouldn't worry about the amount of apps in the ovi store either as there are plenty of sites out there providing hundreds of apps for s60 5th edition symbian os apps. i also have had no issues syncing with outlook on my pc, and you can get gmail as an app on the phone.
    xsiborg wrote: »
    i ported from vodafone pre-pay myself a couple of months ago to 3pay. i got the nokia x6 16GB for €330 in the shop (online price was €300 so i was a bit "ouch" at the unexpected extra €30), but online now i see they only have the 8GB version available.

i was ported over by the time i got from the three shop back to the car park, where there was a rather hasty unboxing! :D first impressions were that yes, its menu navigation WAS a little bit on the slow side, comparable to N95 speeds (my phone came with version 12 firmware, i upgraded it to version 20, noticeable speed difference!).

i hear so much about all these "apps" and so on, and while the nokia ovi store will never even come close to the droid store or the itunes store, it still has some rather useful, and productive, free apps!

it took me about a week of "i'll never get used to this!" when using the touch screen, especially for texts, but now, im just as fast as i am on a physical keyboard (my wife is easily irritated by the sound of the clickety click of the keys on my nokia e51! :rolleyes:).

another thing about 3 for me was the free calls to any number (landline AND any network mobile at weekends) and of course the free texts to any network. but i also use skype a lot when im out on the road so having that for free - godsend! you also have free msn too if that's your thing.

i've only had to ring 3 customer care twice, (they never deactivated my voicemail diverts the first time i called them, but they have now. oh- voicemail isnt free either, i think 15c per min.

one thing though as i found out to my cost recently, damn costly too, was that their data charges must be bloody exorbitant. i had €29 odd euros on the phone and went on youtube for a bit over 3G, i think the total connection time was about 20mins because i checked my log after i checked my credit (thats another thing- no shortcode to check balance, can only be checked by 1744 and wait for your balance after the adverts, or by going to their "my3" online portal on your handset (my3 is free to use and doesnt get included in data charges). but anyway- 20min connection cost me over €20 as my balance was gone down to €8 odd, sickened! :eek: youtube app and google maps DOES work well though (even with street view!) just that i wouldnt usually use a phone for browsing the internet, but you can get a 500MB data add-on for €5 that they take out of your credit, which will give you pretty much all the 3G internet access you want. im not on facebook myself but i've let my wife use the phone to try the facebook app, and from what i've seen, it's also painfully slow!

the music player on the phone is top notch audio quality, (im trying to think of anything else you might find useful), oh yes- an app called "dukto" allows you to transfer files from your windows pc or over wireless to the phone, and vice versa, so much faster than bluetooth (i use the inbuilt hard drive like a wireless or usb storage device). e-mail works well too, being able to e-mail contacts directly from the phone book, or the messaging app itself.

one of the reasons too why i went for the x6 as opposed to the e72 or any of the other htc, samsung waves, etc, is because the shape of those phones required using two hands just to send a text- one to hold the phone while you use your other hands fingers to type out a message, same even with any of the iphones i'd tried, and even now the nokia n8- brilliant phone, knocks socks off the x6 functionally speaking, but, still have to use two hands to type because its too wide to hold with one hand for a thumb texter!

thats really all i can think of for now, been meaning to write a proper review for a while but just dont have time really. thats not to say this is anything like a proper review either! oh yes- while i think of it, scratchproof screen, and it really is, but i wouldnt like to really test it! :D the back cover though is flimsy as fcuk, but it clasps on fairly well, except when i have the fone in the back pocket of my jeans and i sit down- when i take the phone out, i sometimes have to pop back in one of the clasps on the back cover.

hope this helps in your decision anyway! sorry if tl;dr :o

Advertisement