Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Hard Drive recommendation

• 02-01-2011 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi All,

Looking to buy an external hard drive, mainly for watching Movies/Tv shows.
    Hoping to spend around €100 but can increase this if it'll make a big difference. Anyone have any recommendations?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

qu1nn7 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking to buy an external hard drive, mainly for watching Movies/Tv shows.
    Hoping to spend around €100 but can increase this if it'll make a big difference. Anyone have any recommendations?
    Cheers

Easons in Limerick are selling seagate 1tb drives for just 75€. I'm assuming that any other easons store in Ireland is doing the same deal.

Pixmania also have this savage deal right now, a 1tb drive for just under 47€ http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4091095/art/western-digital/wd-elements-desktop-usb-2.html

And komplett have a 1tb for 63€
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/11_HDD/05_EXTHDD/productdetails/10020241/Verbatim_SmartDisk_External_Hard_Drive_Hard/47512/default.aspx

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For mass storage you could basically go with anything. the Seagate ones are good, the WD Mybooks would be decent. For portable drives (USB Powered only) the WD Passports never let me down, I own 2 or 3.

For watching shows you could always get a WDTV also. Or if you want to store it on the home network a Mybook World or GoFlex Network Drive are interesting options - they don't require a "host" PC to access: any PC on the network can get to the files on the drive anytime, even if no other computers are on.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Harvey norman have a 1 tb player for 59 if it's still in stock..

They also had a cool networkable 1 tb one for 60 that could run torrents etc. Buffalo brand both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

cant recommend these enough i have 2 of them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-HDDR500E04ER_CS-2-5-inch-Portable-External/dp/B002JM25BE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294039852&sr=8-2

these may be on the expensive side but your paying for portability to.they are tiny.

my advice would be get one you dont have to plug in.in other words its powered off the usb all you have to do is plug it into the usb port.most of the big ones need a power supply which in my opinion is a pain.(more wires)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 qu1nn7

Thanks Lads, I'll check all those out.
    Would I need to buy a seperate cable to connect it to my TV or do they usually come with the connections needed?
    Sorry if that's a ridiculously basic question, I'm new to this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Would I need to buy a seperate cable to connect it to my TV or do they usually come with the connections needed?

well maybe the lads can answer that.i have a dvd player with a usb port that i plug them into.if your tv has one then your fine.
    but maybe overheals suggestion is better.to get a WDTV or basicly a media player that has a good capacity and it is designed to be plugged into your tv.the ones i suggested wouldnt really suit.

ps just ask the questions who cares if they are ridiculous lol we all gotta start somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Some TVs and some DVD players have USB interfaces but you're then stuck to using the TV/DVDs very primitive interfaces to browse for the movies/files youre looking for. The WDTV has an HDMI interface on the box itself, which is your prime option for video viewing, but will only include a composite cable (Red Blue Yellow), which in fairness, is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 qu1nn7

thanks again

Advertisement