Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prefabricated porch

• 02-01-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

hi,

looking to get a porch fitted to my average end of terrace house. I've heard that some prefabricated porches are being installed in a couple of days very little hassle and they look ok? can anyone expand on this or has anyone any experience? Maybe a built one is better. I came across Fabricast on an advanced search of boards but I'm not getting much back on it.

thank you

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Stoner wrote: »
    hi,

looking to get a porch fitted to my average end of terrace house. I've heard that some prefabricated porches are being installed in a couple of days very little hassle and they look ok? can anyone expand on this or has anyone any experience? Maybe a built one is better. I came across Fabricast on an advanced search of boards but I'm not getting much back on it.

thank you

Build it yourself or get a stone/block built one with insulation in it.They are far superior and look much better than these flat pack/precast porchs imo.

Thats what i did and it worked out very well,got stained glass custom made for the porch and even have a little rad in it,so its nice and warm and cosy when I walk in or go out into the porch to answer the door.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 isainmdom

have to agree with paddy ,the grandmother has just replaced an aluminum prefabricated porch on theyre house with a block built one fully insulated and the difference is very noticable in heat and also draught that used to come in the front of the house,much more comfortable to sit inside now,if you do decide to get a pre fabricated one best not to skimp on it as you really get what you pay for

If you can get the porch built in porportion to the size of your house and also get the pitch of the porch roof the same as the bitch of the house roof,also try to match the tiles as best as possible.

That way the porch actually become part of the house and doesnt stick out like just an "added on" bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yeah I guess, I was just told that there was a new range and that they matched in the tiles and the finish on your external walls, my tiles are black with redbrick walls, the uPVC windows are white so I though it would be an easy prefabricated job. I'm not capable of doing a decent enough job to attempt it myself. So I'll be engaging the services of a builder. Anyone know a well priced guy in the D7/D15 area?

I really want it to prevent heat loss, so the above comments about them not being good with respect to heat loss is not good news for me.:)

thanks for the advice lads.

oh also I thought that with it being prefab that I could avoid planning permission, you might not need it now but I did 6 years ago when i looked into it.

• Advertisement

oh also I thought that with it being prefab that I could avoid planning permission, you might not need it now but I did 6 years ago when i looked into it.

You dont need P P for a block built porch,once its no more than 2 square meters in size.:)

Any bigger,then you will need PP.

cool, block built it will be so.

yeah I guess, I was just told that there was a new range and that they matched in the tiles and the finish on your external walls, my tiles are black with redbrick walls, the uPVC windows are white so I though it would be an easy prefabricated job. I'm not capable of doing a decent enough job to attempt it myself. So I'll be engaging the services of a builder. Anyone know a well priced guy in the D7/D15 area?

I really want it to prevent heat loss, so the above comments about them not being good with respect to heat loss is not good news for me.:)

thanks for the advice lads.

Insulated the roof of the porch,then insulate the internal walls and then install a small rad,and you will be snug as a bug in a rug.

I had a Composite door made to suit and also 4 custom made tripple glazed stained/obscure glass windows made up for my porch.

The warmth from the porch is fabulous.No draughts or cold in it either.

Advertisement