Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caulking for filing Coving to wall gap??

• 02-01-2011 10:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I have a small hairline gap/crack of about 2 feet long where the bottom of the coving meets the newly plastered and painted wall (freshly renovated sitting room).

Me and my girlfriend will be starting painting with a new colour tomorrow,hopefully.

We used painters mate/flexible caulking to do the small gaps between the wall and skirting boards.

Can I use painters mate/caulking to fill in this hairline gap between the bottom of the coving and wall?:confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Yes no problem with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

C Eng wrote: »
    Yes no problem with that.

Sweet,thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

If your "caulking" means the rubbery silicone stuff that is used to seal around baths and such like ...you will not be able to sand it or even it out.

Fill it with polyfiller and add some pva glue to the mix before applying.
    You can then sand it level to (right angles )with the wall with a small block of wood and sandpaper.
    Cheers

lionela wrote: »
    If your "caulking" means the rubbery silicone stuff that is used to seal around baths and such like ...you will not be able to sand it or even it out.

Cheers

No,that is actual waterproof bathroom silicone sealent you are refering to.

Caulking/painters mate is flexible filler that is used for filling in small gaps lines that you get between new skirting boards/door frames and fresh walls/plaster.

Different thing to bathroom sealent.;)

Oh and thanks for your tip/advice aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yes, caulk would be fine. Depending on your're level of skill, it might be advisable to wait for it to dry and give it a bit of a sand before you paint, no offence intended.

• Advertisement

Yes, caulk would be fine. Depending on your're level of skill, it might be advisable to wait for it to dry and give it a bit of a sand before you paint, no offence intended.

None taken.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I tend to fill the gap, rub in with fingertips and then finish by cleaning off with a wet j cloth. Best finish I get this way, can practically paint over immediately. Also much less likely to discoloured if not painted if it's been smoothed with wet cloth. Otherwise can get grubby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Can caulk also be used around windowboards where there is a slight gap all the way between the board and the PVC window frame?

Is there anything better to use?

dfbemt wrote: »
    Can caulk also be used around windowboards where there is a slight gap all the way between the board and the PVC window frame?

Is there anything better to use?

How big is a slight gap?

You can probably use caulk but it might crack with the expansion and movement of the windowboard. If its a very small gap, then maybe a bead of silicone might do the job.

Thanks for the advice folks,didnt get around to filling and painting today,as we went up to Cavan shopping for new beds for the rooms.:)

We will get stuck into the caulking/painting tomorrow.;)

• Advertisement

Man flu over then?:D

Man flu over then?:D

Allmost.:)

Advertisement