Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let the madness continue

• 02-01-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Well its a new year and time for a new set of challenges. The last month has been a poor one training wise but I have gotten in a 40 mile trainig week just gone.

So time to put the old log to bed, anyone wanting a look at the ramblings of a first time marathoner its over here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802924

The biggest piece of advice that I could give anyone from last year is take it easy.

2010 in gereral has to go down as a good year, no major injuries and a whole raft of PB's, not that I had any major times to beat. For this year its going to be a case of trying to improve them further with 3 main targets time wise

5K sub 20:30 (21:21 current pb)
    1/2 marathon sub 1:37 (1:41:30)
    Marathon sub 3:30 (3:43)

I am going to try and make my training a little more focused this year, looking back I did a lot of junk miles last year at around 8:45 pace. going to try and run my long runs nice and easy and really push my hard days.

The biggest disappointment last year was DCM, not for the time but more for the mistakes I made, these will be put right this year and thats my primary goal. To help with that I am goign to run 2 marathons (at least) Conn and DCM. Conn will be a learning experience, not running for time but more to run a controlled race, pace myself properly and try to finish relatively strongly. There is also a strage little voice in my head that keeps whispering to me in quiet times about a litte 50K run in Portumna in June. Im still ignoring it but who knows it might be a bit of a challenge :)

So onwards and upwards for 2011, heres hoping that the injuries stay away.

First 2 races of the new year are actually rescheduled 2010 races Fields of Athenry 10K tomorrow, my 'home' race and Waterford 1/2 marathon on the 15th my other 'home' race, so it will be back down to see the family.

Craughwell 10 miles is definitely on the cards again and after that who knows, definitely the 5K series again and the Streets.

First 2 runs of the year were

Saturday 5 miles at some reasonably pace, my Garmin died
    Sunday 11 miles at 8:55 pace, longest run in over a month and I felt it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭pokermonkey

Mate, If i finish the year with stats like yours I'll be a very happy camper. Well done, and good luck this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

best of luck with the new goals and in athenry tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Due to my patchy training over the last month and having to concentrate my efforst on a half in 2 weeks this was never going to be an all out effort for me. Coming off the back of 11 miles yesterday and a 40 mile week in total I thought my legs would be pretty shot so I didnt have any real time target in mind. Figured I woul dhead off at around 7:30 min mile pace and see how I felt.

I was reasonably comfortable for the first 5K but then my lungs started to close up a little, must hacve been the remnants of a cold over Christmas. On a good side though my legs felt surprisingly strong. I dropped off the pace slightly for a couple of Ks but when we got to the top of the last hill coming back into town I decided to have a cut at a sprint finish, picked it up down the hill and round the last bend really went for it, was delighted to find that there was still plenty in the tank.
    Finished in 47 mins or thereabouts which was near as makes no difference 7:30 average pace. Overall happy with the run a PB of 1:30 but its still a soft PB, there is room for improvement no doubt about it. For the first race since Dublin and the first race of the year I'm gonna say that I'm happy.

Distance 6.2 miles
    Pace 7:30 min/mile
    Weather Cold but dry (ideal conditions)

Totals
    Week: 6.2
    Month : 6.2
    Year : 22.27

Easy 3 miles today to recover from yesterday. Didnt feel bad at all, definitely knew in the legs that I hadn't raced flat out. Was fairly windy out the prom though.

Distance 3 miles
    Pace 8:47 min/mile
    Weather Cool Damp and breezy

Totals
    Week: 9.2
    Month : 9.2
    Year : 25.27

This weeks days are being moved around a little to allow for the race last monday and doing my LSR this Saturday instead of Sunday.
    Three miles at what was supposed to be MP last night. The roads were failry slippy though so I eased back a little to ensure I didnt fall on my face. Legs were a little tight again, apart from that felt good, was actually a lovely night for a run apart from the slipy roads

Distance 3 miles
    Pace 8:16 min/mile
    Weather Cold

Totals
    Week: 12.2
    Month : 12.2
    Year : 28.27

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well you're way out of my league training wise but I'm curious as to your plan for Connemara just to see what might be possible in the future. Are you following one? And what sort of mileage are you starting out at (weekly/LSR)?

Best of luck with the goals for 2011 :)

claralara I am losely following the Hal Higdon Advanced II plan at the moment. I followed his Intermediate II pretty much to the letter for Dublin last year. I picked the Advanced II over the Advanced I as it had more concentration on speedwork and didnt have the extra mid long run in mid week. With my schedule at the moment work and home I just wouldn't have been able to fit it in.

Training over christmas was a bit of a mess but I got a 40 mile week in last week (running 7 days) with an LSR of 11 miles. Will be aiming for low 30's this week with 12 - 13 mile LSR

I am a little bit behind the plan at the moment and am going to be running a half in 2 weeks so that why I am changing things around a bit.I will step the long runs up by 2 miles a week until I catch back up again.

4 miles at lunchtime jus running by feel. Pretty much ignored the Garmin.

Legs were tight enough still in the calves, must get a massage to sort them out, think thats all it will need.

Cold out but felt great to be out in it. A perfect winters day for a run.

Distance 4.02 miles
    Pace 8:39 min/mile
    Weather Cold, sunny

Totals
    Week: 16.22
    Month : 16.22
    Year : 32.3

12.2 miles this morning in the freezing cold. Once the blood got flowing though it was fun. No real aches to note, probably because my legs were numb. Lungs felt fine over the distance as well. Next week will be interesting thoug I'm not sure how I will hold up rinning 13.1 at pace.

Distance 12.2 miles
    Pace 9:01 min/mile
    Weather Cold, dry

Totals
    Week: 28.42
    Month : 28.42
    Year : 44.5

Sounds like a good plan, best of luck witht the hard work! :)

It's Waterford you're running next week yeah? If I can do 10miles tomorrow (and it will be slow!) I'll head down to Waterford and run it as an LSR. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan, best of luck witht the hard work! :)

It's Waterford you're running next week yeah? If I can do 10miles tomorrow (and it will be slow!) I'll head down to Waterford and run it as an LSR. Fingers crossed!

Thanks claralara.

Yes its Waterford alright. It's a great race enjoy it. Not sure what way I am going to approach it I will either run it as a PMP run or else just go for it and at least see where I am fitness wise.

Yesterday evening got dropped off on the way home from town and ran home. Roads were unbleievably slippery still so it was a slow steady pace. Still feeling the calves for a few miles. Was glad to get home at the end the roads really did have me worried. Passed one car stuck in a drain where it went off the road.

Distance 7.7 miles
    Pace 8:58 min/mile
    Weather Cold, dry, very slippery

Totals
    Week: 35.62
    Month : 35.62
    Year : 52.2

3 miles today supposed to be recovery. I just cant seem to run these slow enough. I was running purely by feel but the time was more on LSR that recovery.

Distance 3. miles
    Pace 8:57 min/mile
    Weather Wet

Totals
    Week: 3
    Month : 55.2
    Year : 55.2

Intervals today. 5 X 800 Not done any in a while. Fellt pretty tough over the last 2 but managed to keep the pace targets for them all. Couple of mins jogging in between each interval. Mile warmup and a mile and a bit cool down.

Good tough session.

Distance 5.27 miles
    Intervals (Target 3:30) 3:13 (only .47 mile), 3:26, 3:29, 3:29, 3:26
    Weather Cool, dry

Just realised I got my totals in a mess :mad:
    Totals
    Week: 8.27
    Month : 60.47
    Year : 60.47

Wound up playing a game of indoor football last night, lads were short on numbers and promised me it would be a handy game. An hour and a half later I wasn't in a fit state to walk.

Manager a nice easy 4 miles at lunchtime in typical Galway weater, wet and wetter. Felt the effects f yesterdays intervals and the football but took it nice and handy. Stopped at halfway for a good stretch.

Will either rest and ice from now until Saturday or maybe an easy 2 tomorrow.

Distance 4 miles
    Pace :8:59
    Weather Wet, breezy

Totals
    Week: 12.27
    Month : 64.47
    Year : 64.47

An interesting race to say the least. My Garmin had mysteriously lost its charge when I put it on 20 mins before the start so I wound up sticking it on the car charger for 10 mins just to get some life back in it. Not a good start to the day. As for the race itself my original plan, before I knew how bad the weather was going to be, was to try for around 1:40 and see how things were going. With the wind being as bad as it was I revised that to just hang in there on the way out and use whatever I had left to try and pick up some time coming back in.

At the start line we were lucky that it wasnt actually raining and the wind was at our backs. First mile through the town was nice and handy. Once we got turned around the mile and a half marker we got the first taste of what the wind was going to be like and it wasnt fun. Around 2 miles I even saw a coupl eof people jogging back towards the start on the other side of the road. Not sure if they were injured or just had enough. The Garmin lasted me until mile 3 and after that it was just a case of race by feel. The wind and rain really picked up as we turned off the main road around mile 5 and from there to the turn at mile 7 it was really bad.I had no idea what pace I was doing but it felt tough and I was glad to get to the turn in one piece. Took about a mile then with the wind at my back to settle back into some sort of rythm. After that I picked up the pace and started picking off a lot of runners, I have no idea what pace I was going but it felt tough but still reasonably comfortable. Picked it up a bit again around mile 11 and had a good pace going from then to the end (felt like it anyway). Got to the track and gave a bit of a kick to finish in just over 1:42 about 30 seconds outside my PB. Given that the conditionas were so bad and I had no idea of my pace for 10 miles I am very happy with the time. Would have been interested to know if I could have shaved off those 30 seconds on the way in if I knew I was close to a PB.

No pains or aches wither which was good.

All in all another brilliantly organised race by WAC and the cookies afterrwards were unreal.

Distance 13.1 miles
    Pace :7:47
    Weather Wet, very windy

Totals
    Week: 25.37
    Month : 77.57
    Year : 77.57

Nice handy 3 miles at lunch. No lasting effects from Saturday anyway. And such a difference weather wise

Distance 3 miles
    Pace :8:36
    Weather: sunny and cool

Totals
    Month : 80.57
    Year : 80.57

Back to the hills today for the first time in months. 5 repeats on a 1/3 mile hill jogging back to the bottom in betweek. Warm up and down to bring the total to 5.1 miles.
    Really tough session, legs felt like rubber for the last 2.

Distance 5.1 miles
    Hills : 2:33, 2:15, 2:12, 2:15, 2:15

Totals
    Week: 8.1
    Month : 85.67
    Year : 85.67

Took yesterday off as I was shattered from Tuesday.
    Did the 4 miles scheduled for yesterday today instead and will move todays to tomorrows normal rest day.
    Could still feel the legs very heavy today and fairly tight just over the achilles.

Distance 4.02 miles
    Pace : 8:46

Totals
    Week: 12.12
    Month : 89.69
    Year : 89.69

No run yesterday, work and family life just didnt allow the time.
    16 miles today though so happy to have that done, gets me back on track LSR wise for Connemara. Ran the first 5 at a quick enough pace around 8:15s to tire the legs out a little and then dropped the pace back.

Felt pretty good surprisingly since up to last weeken the longest I had run post DCM was 12.

Distance 16.08 miles
    Pace : 8:48

Totals
    Week: 28.20
    Month : 105.77
    Year : 105.77

• Advertisement

Yesterday 3 easy miles in the dark after 9. always seem to run slower in the dark.

Distance 3 miles
    Pace : 9:14
    Weather: cool

Totals
    Month : 108.77
    Year : 108.77

Bit of a mix and match session today. 4 miles over a hilly route. Ran hard up the hills and took it easy on the way down, bit of a cross between intervals and hill work. Enjoyable.

Distance 4.03 miles
    Pace : 8:12
    Weather: cool, light rain

Totals
    Week: 7.03
    Month : 112.8
    Year : 112.8

Nice run last night. felt my feet go numb again though for the last couple of miles. Hadn't happened for a good while now. Hopefully was just a one off. Pace was reasonably comfortable. Was a great night to be out, cool and dry with no wind at all.

Distance 5.15 miles
    Pace : 8:21
    Weather: cool, dry

Totals
    Week: 12.18
    Month : 117.95
    Year : 117.95

Work was tough yesterday and got home late so decided to switch my rest day and run today instead. Just decided that I was going to go out and run today, forget about times or training for once. Did my usual 4 mile run out to Salthill nad back but didn't look at the watch at all. Interestingly I went faster each mile without really making a decision to. Felt really good and a great day for it.

Must do it more often, it's important to remind yourself why we enjoy this.

Distance 4.06 miles
    Pace : 8:12
    Weather: cool, dry, calm

Totals
    Week: 16.24
    Month : 122.01
    Year : 122.01

8 miles yesterday at a fery relaxed pace. Felt grand. took a new route for a change, didnt realise it was so hilly. will definitely use it again

Distance 8:01 miles
    Pace : 8:56
    Weather: cool, dry

Totals
    Week: 24.25
    Month : 130.02
    Year : 130.02

What a difference a day makes. My legs were wrecked today, there was absolutely nothing in them and no matter how many times I stopped to stretch I just couldnt get them going. was supposed to be 18 miles but I decided to take this as a stepback instead of next week and dropped it to 12 instead. Disappointed but at times you just have to listen to the body. Think I might have done too many quicker sessions this week.

Distance 12.11 miles
    Pace : 8:58
    Weather: cool, dry, calm

Totals
    Week: 36.36
    Month : 142.13
    Year : 142.13

Right that was a week to forget. between working some 12 hour days, my back going into spasm for 2 days I havnt got anything done since last Sunday. Managed to get back out the door this morning in the pouring rain and got my prescribles Long Run in. didnt feel any Ill effects from the week off. the run was actually enjoyable even in the rain. good hilly route as well.

Hopefully that will be my worst week for a long time.

Distance 18.15 miles
    Pace : 9:06
    Weather: very wet

Totals
    Week: 18.15
    Month : 18.15
    Year : 160.28

Last night 4 very easy miles. Legs were a lot stiffer than I though they would be. Took it handy though and was glad to get out and clear the head.

Distance 4 miles
    Pace : 9:16
    Weather: dry, cold

Totals
    Week: 4
    Month : 22.15
    Year : 164.28

Bit of an attempt at a tempo run today, didnt have the laps set properly on my watch so dont really know what pace I got up to. Probably not where I should have been anyway. Very handy mile at the start and end. Very windy out the prom, seemed to be accross me the whole time. Enjoyable though.

Distance 5 miles
    Pace : 8:31
    Weather: dry, windy

Totals
    Week: 9
    Month : 27.15
    Year : 169.28

• Advertisement

Felt good today, ran at a nice comfortable pace. Legs were grand for a change. Great day for a run.

Distance 4 miles
    Pace : 8:25
    Weather: dry, breezy

Totals
    Week: 13
    Month : 31.15
    Year : 173.28

A short long run saturday. Just over 11 miles very easy for the first 6 but picked it up over the last 5. Bit tired heading out but felt good after a couple of miles. No pains of note at all.

Distance 11.15 miles
    Pace : 8:46
    Weather: dry, cool

Totals
    Week: 24.15
    Month : 42.3
    Year : 184.43

A nice steady run on Sunday, took in bit of trails in the local woods just to mix it up a little. Must do it a bit more often.

Distance 7:02 miles
    Pace : 8:29

Totals
    Week: 31.17
    Month : 49.32
    Year : 191.45

Really bad run last night, serious stiffness in my calves and a really bad dose of shin splints. Dont know where it came from weekend runs felt grand. Lots of Ice and anti inflamatories when I got home. Will see how it feels today.

Distance 4 miles
    Pace : 9:07
    Weather: dry, cold

Totals
    Week: 4
    Month : 53.32
    Year : 195.45

Very worried going out at lunch time, took a really easy first mile and stopped for a good stretch before continuing on. Legs were definitely on the tight side but no sign of the shin splints at least. They actually felt better once I got into the run a bit. Dont think I will do any speed work this week and just stick to some easy stuff with plenty of ice and stretching.

Distance 5.05 miles
    Pace : 8:37
    Weather: windy, light drizzly

Totals
    Week: 9.05
    Month : 58.37
    Year : 200.5

I was having some shin issues over the last couple of weeks. I ended up missing a few runs because of the pain. Went to the Physio on Saturday who explained that my calves were really tight and knotted. She dry needled the left shin and calf which was the sorer one (it wasn't painful but it certainly wasn't pleasant!) and then gave both calves a good deep massage. My legs were black and blue after it but the the relief is brilliant. Still not 100% but the 'ouch' pain is gone and the legs are just a little heavy now. So glad I went, it was really starting to upset me!

Hope your's ease up. The training looks to be going well otherwise! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Claralara, I am really trying to avoid having to go down the dry needling, I have seen the results a coupel of time and Im a big chicken really.

Im a bit behind where I was hoping on training, missed a week a little while back havent been able to get in some of my faster sessions. Not going to worry too much about it though.

Battery on the Garmin was dead so no idea about time today but the pace felt reasonable at a guess around 8:30. Definite improvement in my legs they didnt feel as tight at all thankfully.
    Looking forward in a strange way to the weeeknds planned 20 miler, reckon I should be OK for it again now.

Distance 4 miles
    Pace : Unknown
    Weather: sunny, cold

Totals
    Week: 13.05
    Month : 62.37
    Year : 204.5

Just over 5 miles again today. Took it a little bit faster than the last few days with no ill effects. Legs were still tight for the first mile and a half but were grand again after that. Nice rest day tomorrow and theres a bottle of red wine with my name on it at home :)

Distance 5.05 miles
    Pace : 8:20
    Weather: foggy, cold

Totals
    Week: 18.1
    Month : 67.42
    Year : 209.55

Saturdays long run was a bit of an eye opener. Wnet grand for the first 17 miles but my body kinda gave up on me after that. I probably hadnt enough fuel on board, only 2 gels, have been trying to cut back on them. Wont make that mistake again. Managed to struggle round to the end but very slowly, over 10 min mile pace from mile 17.
    On a plius side it was a seriously hilly run and its got to stand to me in 7 weeks.

Distance 20.75 miles
    Pace : 9:20

Totals
    Week: 38.85
    Month : 88.17
    Year : 230.3

Sunday very easy 3 miles. the legs were a bit of a mess from Saturday so just took it handy.

Distance 3 miles
    Pace : 9:01
    Weather: dry, breezy

Totals
    Week: 41.85
    Month : 91.17
    Year : 233.3

• Advertisement

No running yesterday, my legs were in bits. Did some swimming and stretching instead.

Nice 5 mile run today, could definitely feel the benefit of the day off yesterday. Legs were stiff for the first mile or so but after that it was grand.

Distance 5 miles
    Pace : 8:37
    Weather: light rain but mild

Totals
    Week: 5
    Month : 95.17
    Year : 238.3

Noticed yesterday lookig at the log that I really have been neglecting my midweek longish run so Wednesdays from now to Conn will be for 8-10 mile runs.
    Last night 10 miles, started out nice and handy with a few 9:20s to ease out the legs, still al little stiff from the weekend, before picking it up to finishe with 3 X 8:30. Overall pace bang on 9 min miles.

Felt pretty good once the stiffness went from the legs.

Distance 10.1 miles
    Pace : 9:00
    Weather: mild and a little breezy

Totals
    Week: 15.1
    Month : 105.27
    Year : 248.4

5 miles today at a handy enough pace for the first 2.5, picked it up to around 8 min miles for the return run. Nice run even though it was fairly breezy. Legs needed a good stretch.

Distance 5 miles
    Pace : 8:35
    Weather: mild and breezy

Totals
    Week: 20.1
    Month : 110.27
    Year : 253.4

No running at all over the weekend, was feeling really off on Saturday, think I ate something dodgy and just had no time yesterday, had a load of work to do around the garden.......lets call that cross training :rolleyes: Total mileage for Feb not great either.
    Am getting seriously worried about where I'm gonna be fitness wise come Connemara now, definitely dont think I will be near DCM standard.

Anyway back to it today with a nice 6 mile run in the sunshine. Was actually very sore from the uncommon manual labour yesterday so took the first 3 miles nice and handy, once the back had losened out I picked it up on the way back. A lovely run and nice to feel the sun on my back again.

Distance 6 miles
    Pace : 8:42
    Weather: sunny

Totals
    Week: 6
    Month : 116.27
    Year : 259.4

6 mile tempo run today. Actually one of my most enjoyable runs for a while. Legs felt grand apart from a little stiffness around the hip at the start. Just seemed to get into my stride nice and easy. If only every day could be like today.

Distance 6.04 miles
    Pace : 8:09
    Weather: sunny, light breeze

Totals
    Week: 12.04
    Month : 6.04
    Year : 265.44

Last night midweek longish run time again. Really didnt feel like this run as have the start of a cold comin gon with the associated aches and pains in my back. Glad that I did go out though, it was a lovely crisp celar night and the aches disappeared once I got moving. Little faster than last week and enjoyable.

Half marathon in Kinvara coming up now on Saturday so lookign forward to that. Hopefully the cold wont get any worse.

Distance 10.07 miles
    Pace : 8:47
    Weather: cool, clear

Totals
    Week: 22.11
    Month : 16.11
    Year : 275.54

Today was supposed to be a nice easy 4 mile run taking a break at 2 miles for a good stretch. I just couldn't seem to get myself to drop down to my recovery pace though. Eventually gave up trying after a mile and just ran at what felt right. I did stop after 2 miles and spend 10 mins stretching before turning back for the office.

A lovely run in every sense of the word.

Distance 4.04 miles
    Pace : 8:29
    Weather: dry sunny light breeze

Totals
    Week: 26.15
    Month : 20.15
    Year : 279.58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Best of luck in Kinvara, Brokenman. The forecast is good, so all you have to do now is head down by the Burren and run the race of your life! Enjoy!

Headed into this race on Saturday not really knowing where I am fitness wise. Not a target race by any means so no tepr done and still suffering with a bit of a head cold.

Registration was a little chaotic as there seemed to be alot of people still registering on the day, something that needs to be looked at for sure.

Once the race got going I found myself going along at a pretty good pace for the first couple of miles, but I realised that the recent cold had taken more out of me then I though as I could feel my breathing wasnt quiet right my lungs felt a little clogged up.

By half way my lungs seemed to have cleared out and I was definitely breathing easier legs were grand and a quick check showed that I had dropped the pace back from my usual unrealistic start. A big drag around mile 8 really took the spring from my legs but once we crested that I felt ok agan and got back on pace. Found mysefl in a group of 5 around this time and we were all moving along together fairly well up until around mile 11 when one last hill came up, I dropped the rest of the group here and was actually feeling pretty good, pushed on a bit once I hit the 12 mile marker but my legs didnt have anything really left, could feel the lack of a taper in them. Once I saw the finishing line I managed to have a half hearted sprint for the line but Im pretty sure it didnt look like one to anyone watching.

Crossed the line with a 1 second PB on my watch which surprised me, I really am going to have to have a proper go at a half again soon that PB must be way too soft.

Overall it was a pretty good race needs a few things improved organisation wise, around registration and they need to get some portable toilets at the start/finish area. Definitely think its got the potential to be a good addition to the calendar.

Distance 13.1 miles
    Pace : 7:45
    Weather: overcast, cool

Totals
    Week: 39.25
    Month : 33.55
    Year : 292.78

Took 2 days off to try and shake the cold fully, still there though but cant really afford to take any longer.
    6 miles today in pretty windy conditions. Goin out Salthill was tough, nice when I got to turn and run with it at my back on the way in though. Legs felt fine after Saturday.
    Had definitely been spoilt by the weather the last few weeks though.

Distance 6 miles
    Pace : 8:38
    Weather: overcast, cool, very windy

Totals
    Week: 6
    Month : 39.55
    Year : 298.78

• Advertisement
Advertisement