Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let the madness continue

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done in Kinvara! Every second counts! :D Hope you’re feeling a bit better now. The training seems to be going well? How are you feeling about Connemara at this stage? Not long now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Thanks claralara, feeling a bit better but still not 100%, got to get back out there though.
    Not overly confident for Connemara, missed a good few key sessions, going to try and get 3 good quality weeks in now with 2 20 milers and have a 2 week taper and see what happens. Going to try and enjoy it, if you can enjoy a marathon. Half was class last yer.

Last night 5 mile tempo run. Was very tough given the weather but the company made it easier. Breathing still not back right though but my legs were fine. Really starting to look forward to the longer evenings, running in the dark isn't fun.

Distance 5.04 miles
    Pace : 8:07
    Weather: very windy, showers

Totals
    Week: 11.4
    Month : 43.59
    Year : 303.82

Saturday.
    One of the kids banged her head on thiursday and wound up in hospital for observation overnight so no running since Wednesday. No problems with the little one either thankfully.

Planned a 10 mile PMP run Saturday morning and misjudged the distance slightly so went a little over. An enjoyable run in pretty cold conditions, snow on the ground when I was heading out. No real bother with my legs and the cold seems to be pretty much gone by now...I dont get many but they last a long time when I do.

Distance 10.7 miles
    Pace : 8:21
    Weather: cold

Totals
    Week: 22.1
    Month : 54.29
    Year : 314.52

Todat, definitely time to crack out a good 20 miler. Started off grand feeling OK but made a bit of a mess of my fueling, tried out some jellies instead of a Gel at one stage and just didnt get a proper hit off them. Hadnt brought a spare Gel just in case so had to struggle on. By the end I was really struggling, just nothing left in the legs.
    My pace didnt drop off too bad though just around 10 sec per mile for the last 3
    Think it was a combination of the 10 miles yesterday, messing up the fueling and not eating properly yesterday.

Well these runs are there to learn from.

Distance 20.15 miles
    Pace : 9:10
    Weather: cold, breezy

Totals
    Week: 42.25
    Month : 74.44
    Year : 344.67

Todays run was pretty tough, I just didnt seem to have any energy at all. Wonderid it somethign to do with my lack of junk food for the last week. Probably shoul dlook into replacing it with something.

I suppose any day you can get out and run on a day like today has to be a good day.

Distance 5 miles
    Pace : 8:33
    Weather: dry and sunny

Totals
    Week: 5
    Month : 79.44
    Year : 349.67

Real confidence boosting run last night. Went out with a few others and their pace was faster than what I would normally run at. Found it tough enough for the first mile to get the legs going but after that I was flying along, really felt strong at the end and I could definitely have put in a few more miles. Had to get home though as my OH was going out.

Distance 6.11 miles
    Pace : 8:01
    Weather: dry and cool

Totals
    Week: 11.11
    Month : 85.55
    Year : 355.78

Yesterday, Saturday. Just a nice normal run nothing special about it. felt good with no aches or pains. Put the foot down a bit for the last mile just to get the lungs working.

Distance 5.8 miles
    Pace : 8:24
    Weather: dry and cool

Totals
    Week: 16.81
    Month : 91.35
    Year : 361.58

After last year Craughwell had set themselves a very high standard to match. Everything about last years race was first rate and today was no different. Paking, registration, marshalling and the post race food were first rate once again.

As for my own race I didnt really know where I was preperation wise for this, hadnt targeted it bur I was coming off a relatively easy week mileage wise.

First mile is downhill so just let the legs go and see where I was, mile 1 in 7:07, thats quick for me but it was downhill so I though may as well just go with the flow. After the second mile I got in with a group or 3 other runners and we were pacing very nicely off each other. through half way and the pace had eased off from the fast start but was still going good. Half way in 36:18 and still feeling pretty good. Next lap was somehow a 7:06 it didnt feel that fast but that was the fastest mile for me. Was starting to hurt a bit now but figured I would hang on in there for as long as I could, was still running more or less with the same group of runners and there was no one coming past us, we were picking off a good few runners as well. Next two miles were tough, breathing was getting pretty difficult. Mile 9 was a bit better but I knew that the last mile was a tough uphill one so I didnt try to pick the pace up too early. Really felt the burn in my legs on that last mile coming back up the hill to the village but managed to dig in and hold a steady pace. Had nothing left in the legs for a sprint though and lost 2 places in the last 200 meters. I really have to work more on my finishing sprint.

All in all delighted with a 3 min PB. And unlike the last 2 PB this one isnt that soft :) According to Mcmillan thats my best ever race result.

Hopefully this sets me up nicely for Connemara now.

Distance 510 miles
    Pace : 7:16
    Weather: little damp starting off but cleared up

Totals
    Week: 26.81
    Month : 101.35
    Year : 371.58

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done , congrats on the pb! Sounds like a great race again... your report has me kicking myself that I didn't make it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great stuff, BrokenMan, you had a great day. Same thing happened me at the end last year. I had no sprint and was passed by a fleet of people! Well done on the PB.

littlebug wrote: »
    Well done , congrats on the pb! Sounds like a great race again... your report has me kicking myself that I didn't make it!
    Thanks lb. Was an absolute cracker again alright. You should definitely pencil it in again for next year.

ronanmac wrote: »
    Great stuff, BrokenMan, you had a great day. Same thing happened me at the end last year. I had no sprint and was passed by a fleet of people! Well done on the PB.

Thansk ronan, was strange last year I actually had a bit of a sprint finish but this year nothing. Too much marathon training and not enough speed work :rolleyes:

Into the last hard week for Connemara, legs were pretty stiff and sore heading out, a definite sign that Sunday was a good race. Didnt really ease out much until the last mile but it was only general stiffness nothing more serious.

Absolute pleasure to be out running today though first real spring day, reminded me of what this is really about getting out and enjoying yourself. Have to keep reminding myself of that from time to time

Distance 5 miles
    Pace : 8:40
    Weather: mild and sunny
    Totals
    Month : 106.35
    Year : 376.58

Work and sick kids got in the way again yesterday so no running for me.

Today a nice run in the sunshine, legs are still pretty heavy from Sunday but its just tiredness. They losened up pretty well after half way.

Apart fromt hat just a standard easy run.

Distance 6 miles
    Pace : 8:46
    Weather: mild and sunny
    Totals
    Week: 11
    Month : 112.35
    Year : 382.58

Another easy 6 miler today, legs were a lot better than yesterday but still a bit stiff and sore. Last long run tomorrow so we will see where things are after that.

Distance 6 miles
    Pace : 8:42
    Weather: sunny and breezy
    Totals
    Week: 17
    Month : 118.35
    Year : 388.58

• Advertisement

Saturday. Last long one pre Connemara. Out on the road by 7:30 as had to get home early. First 10 miles were an absolute breeze no pains or aches and everything was goon in the world. Quick stop back at the car for a gel and some water and off again, felt grand up to 15 miles but then out of no where it all went pear shaped. No energy, pain in my glutes and my knee started acting up. Struggled round to the end but am seriously in need of a good taper now.

Goin gto get a massage as early as I can this week as well to try and put the legs back together.

Distance 18.75 miles
    Pace : 9:13
    Weather: sunny and breezy
    Totals
    Week: 35.75
    Month : 137.1
    Year : 407.33

Easy 4 miles today. Felt ok apart from a slight niggle in the right hip, haven't felt that in a while. Probably nothign to worry about though.

Uneventful run apart from that.

Distance 4 miles
    Pace : 8:45
    Weather: damp
    Totals
    Week: 4
    Month : 141.1
    Year : 411.33

Last nights run was strange. Never really felt comfortable and had a lot of little aches (hips, lower back, left knee), nothing too painful or worrying but just enough to let me know they were there. Felt off form generally.

Despite that though I did manage to keep my pace on target and have to be happy enough with the run. In two minds now about running today and taking tomorrow off or the other way round. Will see how I fee at lunch time.

Distance 5.06 miles
    Pace : 7:56
    Weather: light rain
    Totals
    Week: 9.06
    Month : 146.16
    Year : 416.39

Catch up time.

Wasn't feelin great since Wednesday, hip was giving me a bit of grief, so for a change I took som eof my own advice and took 3 days off totally. It's hardly going to make any difference at this stage.

Yesterday was entered in a local 5K for one of the schools so decided to do a few miles before and after to bring it up to a last bit of a long run. Was determined not to race the 5K hard though and managed to keep myself in check pretty well, just one slightly mad moment when someone passed me with half a mile to go and I had to figh tthe urge to take off after him.

Felt good and really enjoyed it. Full min off my best time for the distance so did manage to keep myself under control.

Warm Up
    Distance 3.88 miles
    Pace : 8:38
    Race
    Distance 3.1 miles
    Pace : 7:14
    Cool Down
    Distance 2.54 miles
    Pace : 8:31

Overall
    Distance 9.52 miles
    Pace : 8:06
    Weather: Sunny/breezy
    Totals

Week: 18.58
    Month : 9.52
    Year : 425.91

Nice handy 3 miles today. Start of the last weeks taper so really going to take it handy. On a good note there was nothing bothering me injury wise and yesterday doesnt seem to have taken anything out of me.

I'm pretty sure I wont be able to say that in a weeks time
    Distance 3 miles
    Pace : 8:47
    Weather: Sunny/breezy
    Totals

Week: 3
    Month : 12.52
    Year : 428.91

• Advertisement

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Yesterday was entered in a local 5K

You were there! There were a few fast looking blokes around alright :p If you happened to notice someone in an awful hurry to get out of the carpark afterwards, nearly running driving over loads of kids along the way.. that was me :o

I saw some of the quick guys at the start line alright, they were long gone by the time I got to the finish line.

Didn't hang around at the end myself just grabbed a bottle of water and trotted off home. If I stopped for long there is no way I would have gotten going again.

Catch up time again

Wednesday.

Went totally against my own advice on this one but went out at 7:45's for the first 3 miles, I was just feeling good and to be honest I didn't feel the pace. Had a little chat with myself then and jogged back in nice and easy.

No harm done I'm sure but was pretty daft all the same.

Distance 4.88 miles
    Pace : 8:06
    Weather: mild/damp
    Totals

Week: 7.88
    Month : 17.40
    Year : 433.79

Yesterday morning.
    Last run pre Conn.
    Easy 3 miler before work. Legs were a little off and it felt slightly more like hard work than it should. Small tightness in th eold right calf as well but sure thats not unusual.

Next up a nice easy 26.2 should be a piece of cake

Distance 3 miles
    Pace : 8:47
    Weather: dull, calm
    Totals

Week: 10.88
    Month : 20.40
    Year : 436.79

Best of luck on Sunday! I’ll keep my eye out for the maroon tee. I’ll be in orange, probably throwing up by a tree… Nice. :D

claralara wrote: »
    probably throwing up by a tree… Nice. :D

just make sure its not the one I collapse under :)

Best of luck tomorrow, BrokenMan... seems like it will be perfect day for it...

Thanks ronan. Certainly seems like the weather is smiling on us alright. Not as hot as last year anyway thankfully.

Been spending all week trying to work out my pacing strategy and Im still changing my mind every hour. Think I have finally settled on it though.
    Current plan is 8:20s for the first half which will allow me to run the second half in 8:40's bringing me home in 3:45 near as makes no difference. Can ease off on the hills and pick it up if Im feeling ok on the flat. If I'm feeling half descent I might come in a little under it. But then time isn't what Im running for tomorrow, it's about completing it. My last 10 milers though puts me under 3:30 for a marathon but no way do I come near that in Conn.
    My biggest worry is that small little hill is sitting right where I blew up in Dublin.
    This is driving me nuts!!!!!

OK confusing rambling rant over......

3:46 and change today only 3 mins slower than Dublin off poor training. Absolutely delighted with myself. Will put a full/rambling report together tomorrow.

• Advertisement

OK firstly this is long and rambling. If you want the abridged version its one post up :D

Build up
    Training for Connemara wasn’t as good as it should have been. 2 X 20,1 X 19 and 1X 18 with a number of missed Medium runs as well. Prerace I didn’t have a clue as to how I was going to perform but the priority was to put a marathon in my legs and to hopefully run the whole way, not collapse in a heap like in Dublin. The week before was a mix of nerves, fear and rarely confidence in myself.

Pre Race
    Arrived at the cathedral and onto the bus, relieved that the weather was nowhere near as hot as last year and the day actually looked pretty near perfect. Slight bit of a breeze stirring the trees but it didn’t seem to be anything major. Bus journey out was pretty uneventful and we passed the Ultra runners just beyond Peacocks as they headed out on their days exertions.
    Got out to the start line with around an hour to go to the start and met with a few people for a chat. Got a good talking to by one who wasn’t running but was helping out on the day. Asked me about my plan and told me to run even slower on the first half and not to sprint down the hill coming into Leenane. Told me to count the people passing me and count them off again when I passed them later in the race. Of course I wouldn’t do that, not out loud anyway J.
    The first of the ultra runners went through the start area a few minutes before we were and it was amazing to see just how fast they were going.

First 10 miles
    I was determined this time not to get caught up in a mad dash at the start so deliberately took it very easy for the first mile, lots of people seemed to be going past me but I wasn’t going to let it get to me. I had m y own race to run and it was going to be a long day. 8:22 first mile so bang on. By now things had settled down and there was very little swapping of place. Got chatting to another runner at this stage who was doing his 5th Connemara Marathon in and the next couple of miles slipped past nice and handy. First water station had nice 500ml bottles so decided to carry it for a mile instead of my usual gulp it down and throw it away. Kept moving at a nice pace miles varying between 8:20 and 8:30 but with the words from the start echoing in my ears I wasn’t going to co chasing time to get to an 8:20 average, this was all about finishing. First gel at mile 5 and the next water station at mile 6. Up to this point there had been no real hills but once we turned right after mile 6 we were onto the first of the days climbs. Not overly steep but overall the next 2 miles were mostly uphill with a few little downs as well. Decided to go for around 8:30s and just sit in. Definitely felt as if I could have run them faster but I also knew what was ahead and I heard too many stories of your day being ruined before it started. I was passed by a number of people here but having a look at their faces I could see that a lot were struggling already. Next couple of miles were nice and undulating with some great views down onto Killary below us and the knowledge that we would soon be running downhill. Hit the 10 mile mark and took another gel. Was definitely feeling pretty good at this stage and was running well within myself.

Miles 10 – 20
    From mile 10 to the half way point is mostly downhill/flat and is probably the easiest stretch of the course. On the downhills I just let myself freewheel trying to maintain a reasonable pace but conscious of not using up too much reserves or of thrashing my quads too early either. Unsurprisingly these were the quickest miles of the day for me and we hit the half way point in 1:50 feeling pretty good. Ran on through Leenane to a nice cheer from the locals, probably the first set of support we had seen since the start. Round the corner and the first real test of the day 1.3 miles of the steepest part of the entire course. Head down and just drop off the pace a little but not too much, found myself moving away from the group I had come into Leenane with and moving past a few people at this stage. Nice lift from the U2 heads around half way up. Overall I didn’t find this climb too bad and went up at around 8:50 average pace, very happy with that and was feeling grand after a couple of hundred meters once we got over the top. Had planned on taking another gel at 14 but delayed it until I reached the top of the hill and took it there. One thing I had started to notice was some pain starting around my right glute and a little on the right knee as well. Decided to take the 2 neurofen at the next water stop as a precaution and it really didn’t get any worse after that. Was there for the rest of the day but just noticeable. Around this tiem got chatting to one of the ultra runners who was looking remarkably fresh for someone who had a marathon and a bit under his belt already, put down a nice mile or two. By now we were running into the slight breeze from this morning except out here is was a little stronger and the mist was coming down noticeably. Better than the heat from last year I suppose. Around mile 17 I started to come into the back of the half marathon field and it started to get harder to identify who was running half and who was running the full. It really did help though because I was moving through the half field very quickly (well it seemed that way) and its always better to be passing people than having them pass you. By mile 20 my average pace had gone out to 8:30 but I was feeling pretty good, well as good as you can feel at that stage.

Last 6.2
    The last 10K in Connemara broke down into 3 sections in my head once I passed the 20 mile marker. Get to the bottom of the hill, get to the top of the hill, get to the finish line. I tried not to let myself get ahead of each stage at any time, it’s hard though with that damned hill looking you in the face. I took the hill coming up to Maam reasonably easily with no huge effort, something which gave me a bit of confidence for what was to come. The half field was getting thicker at this stage and I was still cutting through it at a good pace. Turned the corner in Maam and there in front was the hill a straight road leading up to the bottom of it and then you can just see bodies crawling their way slowly up along the winding road. Time for a last gel shake out the arms and shoulders, last bottle of water from the aid station and push on. The first quarter was OK, I let the pace drop back to around the 9 min mile again but I could feel the burn really setting in now. Around me it looked like a scene from a low budget disaster movie with people shuffling slowly along, their eyes fixed in the distance and looks of pain in their faces. I was determined though that no matter what happened I wasn’t stopping and I wasn’t going to walk. The further up I went the more my legs were screaming at me and I felt the start of a cramp in my right hamstring, the same one that let me down in Dublin. I manage to stretch it out by increasing my stride length for 4 or 5 strides and it subsided. Close call. I was finding that now I was having to weave around traffic a lot and while I was gaining confidence from passing people this was making it even harder. At one stage about ¾ the way up my legs tried to just stop and I think I startled a few people by shouting at myself to keep going, thankfully they obeyed this time. Eventually the hill started to level out and I managed to get my pace up a bit again. Average pace on the hill was just under 10 min miles. Not brilliant but at least I ran it all and even better it was behind me now. Once I got over the hill I started to open up the legs slowly to see what was left in them if anything and surprisingly I got a good response. I wasn’t exactly flying home but I was certainly moving. As with last year the finish line seemed to take an eternity to arrive and the trees never seemed to be getting any closer. Around this stage I saw Ronanmac at the side of the road cheering us on, much appreciated, managed to grunt out a half incoherent greeting. I really must introduce myself properly one of these days. I Wont say I had a sprint finish but I did manage to get my last mile in just over 8 mins so that was something. Crossed the finish line with not a whole lot left in the tank but a very happy camper. Positive split of 6 mins.

Aftermath
    The purpose of this marathon was to put to bed the mistakes of Dublin as much as possible and certainly that was done regarding pacing and strategy. I wasn’t passed by a single marathon runner over the second half of the race that I remember. There may have been one or two that sneaked by but certainly not the waves that went by in Dublin. Anyone who came through the half way around me I don’t recall seeing again.
    Could I have gone faster? I don’t think so, any faster over the first half and I would certainly have been in trouble coming home, as it was the hill was a serious struggle. Given the relatively poor training being only 3 mins off my Dublin time over a way more difficult course is something I am delighted with.
    So is Dublin put to bed? Well not fully, it cant be until I go back but its certainly well on the way.

Time 3:46:36

Distance 26.2 miles
    Pace : 8:35
    Weather: dull, breezy
    Totals

Week: 37.08
    Month : 46.60
    Year : 462.99

Fair play, Brokenman, a good time on a savage course, and an annoying breeze in your face for the finish! Glad the cheering was appreciated... I have to say that I got a good kick out of supporting people, a decent substitute for not running (although my two young helpers weren't as keen on the idea!). Introduce yourself sometime definitely, I haven't a clue who you are!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Great run! Great support. Well done that man.

Looking back on sunday from a few days down the line and the one thing that is really standing out for me is how much of an enjoyable day it was. Great comraderie around the start area and in the early parts of the race and then later when coming through the half marathon field there was great banter and support.

Went out this evening for a short run just to see where the body was after Sunday. All in all pretty good shape. Quads are pretty tight and sore still but no damage, little twinge in the right hip but again dont think its anything that an easy week wont solve. Will take it very easy this week and try and put toghter a bit of a plan for the next few months after that.

Portumna is still very much there as a possibility. that voice just wont stop :D

Distance 3.02 miles
    Pace : 8:59
    Weather: dull
    Totals

Week: 3.02
    Month : 49.62
    Year : 466.01

Saturday a nice handy 5 miler just to get the legs movign again. Bit faster than Wednesday. No real niggles or anything to report thankfully. Very enjoyable run.

Must try and put a nice week together now maybe build up to a bit of a longish one at the weekend.

Distance 5.05 miles
    Weather: sunny
    Totals

Week: 8.08
    Month : 54.67
    Year : 471.06

Just getting around to catching up on everyone’s reports one by one slowly but surely (kind of how I knocked the miles off in Connemara!). Well done on a great race! And thanks for all the advice over the last couple of months! Bring on Dublin!! :D

Figured it was time to try and see if there was any pit of pace left in my legs this morning. My lungs just wouldn't cooperate though, been caught up with a cold for the last few days and just couldn't get my breathing right. Had been hoping to go around 8 min miles but it just wasn't happening. On a good point legs were fine.

Fantastic morning for a run though.

Distance 5 miles
    Pace : 8:11
    Weather: sunny
    Totals

Month : 59.67
    Year : 476.06

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

God I dont know how you get back into training so quickly after a marathon , if I ever manage 1 I'll be in a wheelchair for a month afterwards :)

Concerned2 wrote: »
    God I dont know how you get back into training so quickly after a marathon , if I ever manage 1 I'll be in a wheelchair for a month afterwards :)

Difference between racing one flat out and running it conservatively. After Dublin last year I couldn't walk up stairs comfortably for about 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Good run last night with a few of the lads. Nice easy mile to start off with 8:35 then the pace was picked up for the rest 7:52, 7:45, 7:47, 7:34 and 7:15 for the last .2
    Got to admit I was hanging on a little for the last mile but overall was very pleased with it. Legs pretty much back to normal and the cold wasn't bothering me as much.

Distance 5.2 miles
    Pace : 7:53
    Weather: dull but mild
    Totals

Week: 10.2
    Month : 64.87
    Year : 481.26

What a fantastic day for a run. Just went out and let the legs dictate the pace today. Nice handy 4 miles. Any time I did check the watch I was alittle surprised at the pace, I was going a bit faster than it felt for the effort.

Distance 4 miles
    Pace : 8:19
    Weather: sunny with a nice breeze
    Totals

Week: 14.2
    Month : 68.87
    Year : 485.26

This was anew 10K on the calendar this year and as it was local I though I may as well give it a go. Very nearly didnt make the start line though. Forgot my age on Friday and was messing about with the kids on the trampoline, cue nasty bruised heel and no running at all over the weekend. Will I ever start to act my age?

Anyway heel was fine this morning so headed down and was impressed overall with the organistation and overall setup from registration right through to the after race food.

Once the race got going I settled into a quick enpugh pace for th efirst K just to test the legs out. Realised after a mile though that if I was to get around I would have to drop it off a bit. I was finding it pretty tough up to the half way point but I wasn't losing any ground on thise around me so guess it wasnt just me. Through half way in 22:30 and actually started to feel a bit better for the next couple of K. Once I hit the 7K mark though it really started to hurt but by this poin there was a group of 5 of us running pretty much together and I was determined not to fall off the back. The last 3K seemed to go on forever though. Once I hit the 9K mark I tried to pick the pace up a bit and surprisingly my legs actually responded. Could se the finish line from around 400 out so just tried to keep going and hold on crossed the line in 44:31.
    Got to say delighted with the result with nearly 2 1/2 mins taken off that miserable soft PB from January especially with a marathon still in my legs a bit from a couple of weeks back.

Distance 6.2 miles + 1K warm up
    Pace : 7:09
    Weather: sunny and pretty warm
    Totals

Week: 6.8
    Month : 68.87
    Year : 492.06

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

Great 10k time there brokenman , especially to negatively split the race (I'm nearly always slower in the 2nd half of races). Do you think the endurance you've gotten from marathon training enabled you to pick the pace up over the final few k's even though your legs were heavy going into the race ?

Concerned2 wrote: »
    Great 10k time there brokenman , especially to negatively split the race (I'm nearly always slower in the 2nd half of races). Do you think the endurance you've gotten from marathon training enabled you to pick the pace up over the final few k's even though your legs were heavy going into the race ?

Thanks Concerned2
    Couple of things probably contributed mainly that the first half was net uphill and the second half net downhill, not by a lot but every little helps. Distance training for marathons definitely helps on the shorter distances alright, but personally I find 10K to be the hardest distance, you are nearly running at your 5K pace but its for twice as long.
    Biggest thing that lead to the neg split today though was down to someone esle, just after 5K one of my clubmates and training partners came up on my shoulder and we definitely worked together to get through the last 5K. It makes a huge difference if you have someone to pace off, particularly if its someone you know.

Lovely relaxed 4 miles at lunch. Legs were a bit heavy from yesterday so stopped after 2 for a good stretch. Time to make a decision soon though on what Im going to target next. Its either going to be Portumna 50K leading into a shortened 12 week marathon specific programme or else just working on some speed and then into an 18 week marathon programme. Though nowing my love of speed training the 50K is looking more likely now.

Distance 4
    Weather: sunny and pretty warm
    Totals

Week: 10.8
    Month : 72.87
    Year : 496.06

• Advertisement

Tough run this evening. Was out with a sub 3 and 2 sub 3:15 marathoners. Nice easy run for then but nearly had me in bits. Happy that I was able to stay the pace thpugh, especially as the legs were still a bit heavy from Monday. Think 'm gonna have to build some of the marathon training later around these Wednesday runs.

Through 500 miles for the year as well :D

Distance 5.05
    Pace : 7:41
    Weather: dull but mild
    Totals

Week: 15.85
    Month : 77.92
    Year : 501.11

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Forgot my age on Friday and was messing about with the kids on the trampoline, cue nasty bruised heel and no running at all over the weekend. Will I ever start to act my age?

If my own experience with trampolines is anything to go by then no :D

Well done on the pb. Fantastic improvements this year BrokenMan. Straight into the 5k series next week?

littlebug wrote: »
    If my own experience with trampolines is anything to go by then no :D

Well done on the pb. Fantastic improvements this year BrokenMan. Straight into the 5k series next week?

Thanks littlebug.
    Plan on doing the 5K alright, not sure if I will be running next week or not yet. Local leg so might wind up helping out.

Reaquainted myself with the whole idea of Recovery Runs this morning. Have been running my easy days too quick lately and its a sure way to an injury. Really had to concentrate on keeping the pace down around the 9 min miles though, it felt harder to do that than run faster.

Distance 4.02
    Pace : 8:57
    Weather: foggy
    Totals

Week: 19.87
    Month : 81.94
    Year : 505.13

Got a few things on over the weekend so figured I woul dhead straight out from work for my long run. First attempt at one since COnnemara and it really was a struggle. Just couldn't get into it at all right from the off. Felt tired and sluggish from the start and my pace just kept dropping off mile on mile. Didn't have any gels with me which probably didnt help later on but it doesnt explain the bad start.

Hopefully just one of those days. Noticed I was missing some mile from the monthly total as well, didnt putin Mondays miles. Corrected it here.

Distance 15:39
    Pace : 9:26
    Weather: sunny, breezy
    Totals

Week: 35.26
    Month : 104.13
    Year : 520.52

• Advertisement
Advertisement