Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which torque screwdriver to take apart Xbox 360 controller?

• 02-01-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

I recently 'inherited' my brother's old broken Xbox 360 that had the classic 'open tray' problem.

I took it apart and cleaned the lens and magnetic spindle with some alcohol and all seems fine now.

Except for the hand controller that has 'sticky buttons'. I reckon I can also fix this too...the only problem is where can I get the peculiar torque screwdriver needed to open it up? My own set of torques won't do the job because of the little dimples in the controller screws.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I recently 'inherited' my brother's old broken Xbox 360 that had the classic 'open tray' problem.

I took it apart and cleaned the lens and magnetic spindle with some alcohol and all seems fine now.

Except for the hand controller that has 'sticky buttons'. I reckon I can also fix this too...the only problem is where can I get the peculiar torque screwdriver needed to open it up? My own set of torques won't do the job because of the little dimples in the controller screws.

U will get that screw driver here:
    http://mrmodchips.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=755&osCsid=edb23847a87a000c9381d87e1c3e3986

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You should be able to get it open with a flat head screw driver. Pry it between two points of the star and the dimple will help you out :)

e.g put the screw driver between the top point and the bottom right point

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Deeco

t10 and t8;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Deeco wrote: »
    t10 and t8;)

Please read the thread title or the first post, the OP is looking for the bit to open a controller, not the console.

What you need is a T8H Security torx bit, it's a regular T-8 with a hole in the middle of it :) You can pick them up in various sets, halfords sell individual ones but they're pricey.

Or you could try melt the plastic on a BIC biro and mould it into a screw while warm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Thanks - I'll pop over to Maplins today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Yup, Security Torx are the ones ya want. I ordered them since they work for all Torx anyway, and I love a bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Please read the thread title or the first post, the OP is looking for the bit to open a controller, not the console.

What you need is a T8H Security torx bit, it's a regular T-8 with a hole in the middle of it :) You can pick them up in various sets, halfords sell individual ones but they're pricey.

Or you could try melt the plastic on a BIC biro and mould it into a screw while warm :D

Thats how i opened my gamecube years ago. They had a funky screw head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ordered from Mr Mod Chips and they sent me out the regular Torq 8.

Contacted them over two weeks ago and haven't heard anything back.

Mr Mod Chips is a joke, I wouldn't recommend anyone use them.

Ended up ordering from Ebay for $3.95 USD with free shipping.

Advertisement