Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA League Season 9 - Main Thread/General Banter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just a suggestion for next season, it might cut out some of the annoyances in the league.

You have to use your teams formation. I mean no changing to other defaults or anything like that. The only thing you are allowed change is your starting 11. People might be more willing to accept a loss then, rather than find something to complain about? Like Corcaigh complained about stan beardfacays formation but Corcaigh you have used plenty of customs in your time. I was as bad, I used to use customs back in the fifa 09 days and ended up hating them and complained about them on here but in fairness I dont have a right to give out about people using customs when I used to use them myself. (even if I found the error of my ways! )

Also I dont think it would do no harm to state clearly in the rules things such as no celebrations after goals, no holding the ball at opposition corner flags etc, no passing it around the back 4 etc?

Alot of the whining and stuff on the forum after games is only natural as Fifa is a frustrating game anyways and to be honest if you take most of it with a pinch of salt I dont see a problem. A bit of banter back and over makes it interesting imo. And personally I like reading peoples little reports after matches.

Anyways just a thought for next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Lamposts

joe123 wrote: »
    Just a suggestion for next season, it might cut out some of the annoyances in the league.

You have to use your teams formation. I mean no changing to other defaults or anything like that. The only thing you are allowed change is your starting 11. People might be more willing to accept a loss then, rather than find something to complain about? Like Corcaigh complained about stan beardfacays formation but Corcaigh you have used plenty of customs in your time. I was as bad, I used to use customs back in the fifa 09 days and ended up hating them and complained about them on here but in fairness I dont have a right to give out about people using customs when I used to use them myself. (even if I found the error of my ways! )

Also I dont think it would do no harm to state clearly in the rules things such as no celebrations after goals, no holding the ball at opposition corner flags etc, no passing it around the back 4 etc?

Alot of the whining and stuff on the forum after games is only natural as Fifa is a frustrating game anyways and to be honest if you take most of it with a pinch of salt I dont see a problem. A bit of banter back and over makes it interesting imo. And personally I like reading peoples little reports after matches.

Great thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Lamposts

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Look lads, I'll actually fight any yee, name the place.

Less talk, more jabs

byrne.jpg

G'wannn so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I don't see anybody from League 1 or Championship complaining about custom formations, LB + Y, crosses, etc..... It's just some of ye premiership lads take the league way too seriously.

My suggestion, lighten up a bit and just play for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

jamescd wrote: »
    I don't see anybody from League 1 or Championship complaining about custom formations, LB + Y, crosses, etc..... It's just some of ye premiership lads take the league way too seriously.

My suggestion, lighten up a bit and just play for the craic.

The lads in the lower leagues aren't as good because the don't play as much.

The guys in the higher leagues are better because they play more.

People are more likely to get frustrated when they get owned at something they do alot....and consider themselves "good" at.

It's common sense really. The atmosphere is seemingly better in league 1 because its just a casual thing to pass the time.

If you went to play a game of tennis / pool / darts etc. and got schooled...most people wouldn't care. It's just a bit of fun and you don't normally do it.

If some 8 year old kid schooled you in a kick about in the park even though you play for your local team, your feelings would be different. :p

While I agree with you somewhat with people taking it too seriously....you have to make allowances for other peoples attitude towards things. If somebody feels the need to rant when I beat them, I'll let them. As long as its kept respectful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

joe123 wrote: »

No way. Silly idea tbh. I play as Aston Villa. If I play as the formation states as the start against the likes of Torres and Ronaldo I would be fcuking raped. I have no choice but to play 3 centre backs and it works for me. However, it is not a custom formation.

Kirby wrote: »
    People are more likely to get frustrated when they get owned at something they do alot....and consider themselves "good" at.

Exactly. No need to add more rules/restrictions just because some people can't handle defeat very well :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Town Man

SantryRed wrote: »
    No way. Silly idea tbh. I play as Aston Villa. If I play as the formation states as the start against the likes of Torres and Ronaldo I would be fcuking raped. I have no choice but to play 3 centre backs and it works for me. However, it is not a custom formation.

Maybe only have the choice of using one of the default options that are there for every team rather then be made stick to their common one if custom formations were discontinued?

I have a few suggestions too:

1- Allow those in League 1 to pick any team they want, Championship 4.5 star max and the Premiership 4 star max (then during the league run a seperate Champions League style comp where 2 from each league are in a group and the top 2/3 go through to the knockout. At least there would be games against people from other leagues and team selections may make it balanced. I could help with this cup if the mods wanted?

2 - No picking the same team throughout the gamespan i.e. while we are using fifa 11 pick a different team each season

3- A 2v2 cup where you are randomly assigned another league member from any division to play with and make that knockout or whatever

4 - Ban All Out Defence, I know this is a way people play but it may make the games more open, again just my view on how things may be made more fun and I know it will be someone's word against another but I believe we are all honest people

SantryRed wrote: »

That's not true at all. I've used villa since the update and found them grand!

Anyways it was just a suggestion.

Restricting somebody to one formation is idiotic. That would never work.

However, no more customs would eliminate some of the aggo. I personally don't agree with it, but I can see the argument for it.

Perhaps having everyone pick their formation from the default list like CashelMan said is the way to go. There are like 20 official choices. More than enough for every play style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Public Executor

The lads in the lower leagues aren't as good because the don't play as much.

The guys in the higher leagues are better because they play more.

It's common sense really. The atmosphere is seemingly better in league 1 because its just a casual thing to pass the time.

If you went to play a game of tennis / pool / darts etc. and got schooled...most people wouldn't care. It's just a bit of fun and you don't normally do it.

If some 8 year old kid schooled you in a kick about in the park even though you play for your local team, your feelings would be different. :p

While I agree with you somewhat with people taking it too seriously....you have to make allowances for other peoples attitude towards things. If somebody feels the need to rant when I beat them, I'll let them. As long as its kept respectful.

That logic is a bit single-minded. Those who complain after losing about someone else's style of play would complain regardless of whether they're in the top division or the bottom one, not because they're good or 'better'. Those who are like that usually have a 'must win at all costs' attitude and the concept of fun has long since been lost on them.

There need be no extra rules, the league is perfect as it is. Except maybe keeping score of those people who complain most and award them a 'donkey of the season award', with a demotion and -10 point penalty for the start of the next season. Call it Whingiopoli :D

Restricting somebody to one formation is idiotic. That would never work.

However, no more customs would eliminate some of the aggo. I personally don't agree with it, but I can see the argument for it.

Perhaps having everyone pick their formation from the default list like CashelMan said is the way to go. There are like 20 official choices. More than enough for every play style.

Why exactly?

You pick a specific team, with that team you get their formation.

On a site I play on for money there is a rule in place where no custom formations are allowed and no 5 at the back defences which make for some excellent matches.

double post for some reason. Don;t know what happened there.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i know what you were trying to say Joe - i find I dont mind losing that much anymore, ive mellowed out that way, what annoys me is when a game is just not enjoyable and a complete waste of time.

about stan, i wasnt so much getting at the formation, it was the fact that he was happy playing the game by soaking up all I did and then spamming it up to anelka and torres. i had about 66% possession which is ridiculous what should be a decent Prem match. i never gave out about Stan/Gaz before even when he already was crossing-happy, at least that was a way of playing, a tactic.

That logic is a bit single-minded. Those who complain after losing about someone else's style of play would complain regardless of whether they're in the top division or the bottom one, not because they're good or 'better'. Those who are like that usually have a 'must win at all costs' attitude and the concept of fun has long since been lost on them.

There need be no extra rules, the league is perfect as it is. Except maybe keeping score of those people who complain most and award them a 'donkey of the season award', with a demotion and -10 point penalty for the start of the next season. Call it Whingiopoli :D

It's not single minded. It's human nature.

If a chess grandmaster challenged you to a match, beat you, and then started celebrating. What would you do? Most people would called him an idiot, laugh at him and just walk away. Do you care? Nope. It doesn't mean anything to you. Chess is his thing.

However if you practiced chess for a couple of hours a day and lost, you might be annoyed. It means enough to you to put some effort into it so it stands to reason you would care enough to get annoyed.

It's naive to thing ability doesn't come into it. Would Tiger woods care if he lost at chess? No. Does he care when he loses at Golf? absolutely.

That doesn't excuse him from acting like a pillock on tv and spitting on putting greens.....but you can see the reason why. He cares about golf more.

I don't care if I win the prem. I'll win some, lose some. But thats me. I wouldn't presume to hoist my casual taking of fifa onto somebody else. While I'm not excusing the guys who act the tool in the prem......holding up the lower leagues as a beacon of sportmanship is not really comapring like for like. We have members who play fifa 5 or 6 hours a day. Others who play once every week. Certain people take things more seriously than others.

gaz15 wrote: »
    Jesus the league is becoming a bit of a joke really. It was a bog standard 5-3-2 I played with, no custom tweaking on it... Am I not allowed to pick formations to counter opposing teams? Should we ask the opposition what formation to play and what position to play players in beforehand???

With each season passing the enjoyment of the leagues is being sucked out of them with people complaining about everything and anything. Playing with idiots like Lamposts who celebrates every goal, felt the need to send me a message at half time saying "I am God" then when 3-1 up in the 86th minute decided to head for his own corner flag. If I wanted to deal with that kinda stuff I would play ranked matches instead of this!

As CactusMac said in the other thread the original leagues were the best, no messing, no idiots, everyone just looking to have a few friendly games!

this isnt a winning or losing thing, I just dont see how you could be happy playing the game the way you played it against me.

You're picking extremely specific silly scenarios there (though I do know a chess master and I'd pay to see him dance). I think losing matters to everybody, but some are just very, very bad losers. What's (far) worse than bad losers are smug winners with a sense of self-importance because they beat you at... FIFA. If you're not having fun playing FIFA, YOre doiN it Rong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭storybud22

dunno how corcaigh is giving out about stan for playing 5-3-2 default and on fifa 10 you played 2 sweepers and 3cbs with essien and john obi mikel sweepers abusing the game. stan is a ledge lad.everyone play 5 at the back yee wont score. im GOD.

storybud22 wrote: »
    dunno how corcaigh is giving out about stan for playing 5-3-2 default and on fifa 10 you played 2 sweepers and 3cbs with essien and john obi mikel sweepers abusing the game. stan is a ledge lad.everyone play 5 at the back yee wont score. im GOD.

ha ha jesus christ, still bitter! love the way your "facts" get worse and worse as time goes on....

what age are you really storybud? didnt you say you were with a 15 year old the other day? you are either a liar or a rapist!!!!

dont ban me, mods, im having the craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

15zrr0j.jpgegehoi.jpg
    34zyko3.jpg

• Advertisement

19 everyone remembers your mad formations. kirk hokem,macken you played the maddest formations lad. dont be giving out to other ppl for making your games not enjoyable. thats there job to make it tough as you make it tough for me. as kirk holding the ball in the corner and giving out to me for time wasting when he did it more then me.ppl giving out when they do it themselves. aboy LAMPS. was with a 17 year old lad with a few of the boys when having cans.

19 everyone remembers your mad formations. kirk hokem,macken you played the maddest formations lad. dont be giving out to other ppl for making your games not enjoyable. thats there job to make it tough as you make it tough for me. as kirk holding the ball in the corner and giving out to me for time wasting when he did it more then me.ppl giving out when they do it themselves. aboy LAMPS. was with a 17 year old lad with a few of the boys when having cans.

back to school lad, who starts a sentence with 19!

damn it, cant get memegenerator.net to work, damn you Mark, you win this one!

decent pictures mark. for corcaigh it was 2 sweepers and his whole team in his own half on 10 with Chelsea. i rarely moan when i lose like everyone else lost to moon cus i couldnt move and the other games i lost fairly.sad to see loader get relegated he had decent match reports

While I'm not excusing the guys who act the tool in the prem......holding up the lower leagues as a beacon of sportmanship is not really comapring like for like.

What are you on about ? First you go on about how much "better" the premiership players are and now this. What does that have to do with anything ?

What us "lower league" players are saying is that there is no need to add more rules/restrictions because of a few sore losers in the mighty premiership. It's as simple as that. I don't see how the skill differences between the leagues matter :confused:

hokem is trying to say better players take things there are good at more seriously. i play clubs when i play as gk i am the worst on the game and i couldn't give a rats arse but when i play 1v1 i go nuts if i lost to some random fellow. i wanted to set-up a cup for all the leagues i could organize and it could be good fun. anyone interested

On a completely unrelated note, how many of us are overweight?

decent pictures mark. for corcaigh it was 2 sweepers and his whole team in his own half on 10 with Chelsea. i rarely moan when i lose like everyone else lost to moon cus i couldnt move and the other games i lost fairly.sad to see loader get relegated he had decent match reports

comin from the lad who is making up stuff that happened in the last bloody fifa! seriously lad, drop it, its old and boring, move on.

yea, looder is decent, agreed, he will be back if he picks someone better than Liverpool and im sure he would be higher up the table without Liverpool.

on a cup, think axwell said they are thinking of setting one up.

i could set it up first 16 in any team no 5at the back or customs would be savage.

On a completely unrelated note, how many of us are overweight?

thats a topic to make id say! personally im always around 14 stone, im 6 foot tall. bit heavy, could be lighter but in terms of my build, its not too bad.

• Advertisement

10 and half stone 5 foot 7 or 8. meh couldnt run for ****e tho

Advertisement