Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackcurrants with stones

Options
  • 02-01-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭

Did anyone ever come across blackcurrants with stones inside?
    I got a present of a hamper at Christmas and it contained a pot of blackcurrant jam but it's a lot of work to eat because you have to go through each one individually and take out the stone. Each stone is almost the size of each currant and are very hard. Each currant definitely look like blackcurrants and taste like blackcurrants and maybe even a little stronger flavour.
    The pot has a label like the jam is made in a small enterprise with just ingredients - blackcurrants sugar and water, a best before date and I Thompson which I presume is the name of the person that made the jam.

The question still is - Did anyone ever come across blackcurrants with stones inside?
    I did a bit of googling and didn't find any such blackcurrant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Could be damson jam, which is lovely and LOOKS alot like blackcurrant.

The stones part is confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

No, it's not damson jam. I've had damson jam before and also picked damsons and know the difference. Damsons look like a smaller version of plums and don't taste like blackcurrants when cooked.

It seems they may be sloe berries with blackcurrants mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Bullace is a possibility:)

Bullace or damson would be a bit larger than sloe. Since my first posting I've heard of someone who picked up "blackcurant" jam at a country market and encountered stones. He went back the week after and asked about the jam and was told they often use sloes as it's not always easy to get the number of blackcurrants required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Sloes would give a strong bitter flavour and a purple colour. I suppose if you packed it out with some turnip and loads of sugar, you would get a passable rip-off of blackcurrant jam. :)

Advertisement