Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba* / Cellar Memories

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Naked.

and the Comedy Club

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Aye the variety of acts in cp and halo is astounding. The music is so varied there and as for the drinks cheap as chips! Bouncers are lovely lads there aswell :rolleyes:

This thread will end up getting locked now because of your post and more people banned. Im likely to be banned over the other thread and in fairness it will be a complete joke. People went into that thread with the intention of mocking the place (no more than yourself) and i wouldn't be surprised if the mods let the more regular posters off with it. How they failed to deal with some people in that other thread being complete arseholes is beyond me.

What are you talking about ?
    Look at the title of thread. Where did it stipulated "fluffy college days" memories only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Naked.

You remember that eh? In my defense I still contest that some Puerto Rican guy spiked my drink, I felt really hot and the ghost of Jimi Hendrix was telling me to do it.

How long do the boardsies reckon it will take for the Cellar to open back up. I'd bet it won't be long!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Wompa1 wrote: »
    In my defense I still contest that some Puerto Rican guy spiked my drink

Wtf? I'm not Puerto Rican.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You remember that eh?

Indeed I do Wompa1....albeit fuzzily.......badgers are famous for their superb memories!

I also remember when it was in the sacred Liquid before Cuba.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

just came to me earlier,i remember dj ted and dean king had fridays on the middle floor of cuba in or around 2002.

one of the first times i had heard layo vs bushwacka - love story :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

barryd09 wrote: »
    just came to me earlier,i remember dj ted and dean king had fridays on the middle floor of cuba in or around 2002.

one of the first times i had heard layo vs bushwacka - love story :cool:
    Yeah, Essence moved there when GPO brought in a new music policy (something to do with the clientèle not buying alcohol:D) It didn't have the same atmosphere in Cuba though.

On a side note Dean was spinning at the Castle Reunion night in the Oslo on Stephens Night. Twas a great night.

Yeah, Essence moved there when GPO brought in a new music policy (something to do with the clientèle not buying alcohol:D) It didn't have the same atmosphere in Cuba though.

On a side note Dean was spinning at the Castle Reunion night in the Oslo on Stephens Night. Twas a great night.

tbh im not really old enough to have been a big essence fan/follower.
    my younger years were mostly spent in liquid in salthill.

another ted/dk in cuba memory was them playing the kylie vs new order bootleg that was red hot in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Here's some of mine - from one of our gigs there...

Cuba gigs were always great fun, great crowds, great sound engineers to work with. Good times, good times... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Here's some of mine - from one of our gigs there...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/IYQUZMDqZsk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjSqRl2rzXQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2r7u6s1i18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2HwUXT5Nwg

Cuba gigs were always great fun, great crowds, great sound engineers to work with. Good times, good times... :)

You guys make up lots of my memories of the places Tom. Myself and my husband used to go in just to see you when we were going out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Awesome videos, used to love seeing live bands upstairs, couldn't be beat. Still enjoyed the stuff played in the last few years, but nothing beats a live band to get everyone going.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Anyone else remember Senor Blingbling (as we called him) in Cuba? White chap with cornrows and a penchant for American football shirts, talked like an ersatz Sean Paul. He could often be seen busting his moves in such a way that cleared the entire dancefloor.

I saw him once with a Clare hurling jersey in place of his usual Cincinatti Backwoodsmen effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Robbo wrote: »
    Anyone else remember Senor Blingbling (as we called him) in Cuba? White chap with cornrows and a penchant for American football shirts, talked like an ersatz Sean Paul. He could often be seen busting his moves in such a way that cleared the entire dancefloor.

I saw him once with a Clare hurling jersey in place of his usual Cincinatti Backwoodsmen effort.

I think I know who you're on about. Have to say though, he was a great barman, super efficient and very enthusiastic about his work (and everything, as I remember) - or at least that was my impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Cuba: Me and my sister, who was over from the Netherands dancing and a friend of my fiance's brother apologising to my fiance of all people for hitting on my sister.
    Sis recently insisted that for the bachelorette party we hit Cuba at some point.:(
    Cellar: the band downstairs doing an awesome version of happy birthday for my fiance on my request.
    ALMOST having my first kiss with him on one of the couches. (happened later at a houseparty).

I'm gonna miss those places although Cuba did lose some of its appeal in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Fadó Fadó U2 played downstairs in the Cellar before they were famous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

god, where do i start?

Cellar: getting punched by the girlfriends best friend in the women's toilet.
    having to get into town early to get in before the bouncers (when underage)
    many hungover lunches on the weekend
    leaving deaf when there was a live band dowstairs

Cuba: all those thursday night mosh pits upstairs when i was in college.
    the que that used to on on for miles (and skipping it)
    the messing outside the club at the end of the night
    all the tunes they played upstairs
    kissing many random women
    losing a contact lens and then finding it again at the end of the night when the lights were on
    the night Pssap played there for the green rooms gig - that was a messy night
    drinking green diesel (double blue afteshock and red bull) then not rembering the rest of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I was at the opening nights of both Cuba and the Cellar and I have some great memories of both places down the years. I worked in Cuba for a while and have nothing but good to say about the management and staff (and punters!). Mostly I remember stuff after the venue closed, someone did a run to Supermacs, a few bottles were opened and we had the club to ourselves - seven o'clock in the morning is a bad time to leave work.

I'm sorry to see them go, I hope they bounce back in some shape or form.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Robbo wrote: »

yeah his name is John, he's from ennistymon in clare and he's sound out, great craic and an absolute legend of a barman! He'd always remember your round and never leave you waiting and I never once saw him in bad form!
    He's since worked in the front door and sallys, we used to call him sean paul! always liked the staff (in general) in cuba

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bill murray

magentas wrote: »
    yeah his name is John, he's from ennistymon in clare and he's sound out, great craic and an absolute legend of a barman! He'd always remember your round and never leave you waiting and I never once saw him in bad form!
    He's since worked in the front door and sallys, we used to call him sean paul! always liked the staff (in general) in cuba

Funny thing is his name isn't actually john at all!!

He actually came back to cuba in july/august and was working there up until we closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

He actually came back to cuba in july/august and was working there up until we closed.
    seriously?! I've known him to talk to (if that makes sense!) for years and everyone I know calls him John too and he...he's john!

are we talking about the same person? or is it a case of john is his second name or something? please enlighten me!!!

PS. sorry about your job, hope you all find work soon

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bill murray

It's a nickname "cool john". He is the same guy from Ennistymon that worked in them places. I was confused aswell. I won't say his real name on here wouldn't be right but it isn't John. He doesn't mind it but if you see him around ask him about it :)

Ps: Thanks man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 laidarnuca

Upstairs in cuba years ago

Prom night every tuesday.

Brilliant times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That's mad...

Larry Gee introduced me to him about 4/5 months saying "this is John".
    No ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bosmedia

Alt Disco in Cuba*Live for me.

Every night in Cuba was unreal, the music was always good.

People say the bouncers were tough, bit IMO they were always sound and would have a chat with ya on the way in. If you were locked going in, its right they didnt let you in to wreck somebody elses night!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

Kings head and Kellys are still open , surely they are profitable, since its the same family that run the whole lot, they should ensure that the workers get their redundancy that they are entitled to.

Also they did not own Cuba and The Cellar bar, they are only paying for the lease , there is less of a loss as compared to if they owned the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bosmedia

Just because its the same family, you hardly expect them to pay for a company a relation ran?

Thats like my oweing money and you expecting my sister to pay it!?

plus they are limited companies(arent they?) so thats that taken care of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Oh the memories! Going in after my leaving cert christmas exams stands out! The buzz of getting in and then pretending to have the red stamp to get in for free :pac: my friend got hit at the end of the night so we started a pile on, on the guy who hit him and everyone joined in and jumped on this random drunkard haha ah brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

My abiding memories of Cuba are waiting ages around a packed bar with only one person serving, bar staff closing the bar at 1:55, and lads robbing drinks.

If Mr. Grealish had more interest in serving his customers with more barstaff they might have got more goodwill.

Advertisement