Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qeustion for people on 12month J1

Options
  • 02-01-2011 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Just wondering for people who are on this visa....how are they getting on with there sponsor? (usit,iic etc)

Like do they be on your back the whole time to see if you've settled in, got a job etc, also in relation to when you get the job, do they check up on it much? like to see if your doing the amount hours in week your supose too?

maybe there like this for the first couple of months then leave you on your way?

also im sure its different between the four companys that run the this visa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I got my 12 month visa through Intrax Internships starting two months ago, I haven't heard from them since I left Ireland.

My previous 12 month visa was through SAYIT, the only times I heard from them were to fill out a review online every three months (after every phase on the DS-7002). Myself and my employer had to complete them.

I doubt they check up on your hours or anything, however if there are any legal restraints on how many hours you have to work or something (I don't think there are) or if you take a second job, that would probably go through Social Security. I've never had one of these companies follow up with me to see how I'm getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shtory

I got my 12 month visa last year from USIT and i've been here 3 and a half months and I have not heard a peep from them. I worried about that too, but my advice to anybody else coming here would be, don't. Once you're here, just start looking for any job you can get, it's not easy. I've talked to two people over here who've since had to go home because they couldn't find work, even the Irish bars aren't hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maximalistic

Any job really? you can do anything with a 12 month j1? i thought it precludes unskilled employment? ive an unskilled job lined up that i cant take but if things are that bad and its really hard gettin a skilled job i wont bother going, what part of the states are ya in if ya dont mind me askin?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shtory

I'm in New Jersey, working in New York. What I meant is that USIT don't follow up on you, not in my case anyway, you would be breaking the rules of the visa, but they don't seem to care whether you do or not from my experience. I thought i'd be getting contacted at least every month about what I was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ForceOfNature

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I got my 12 month visa through Intrax Internships starting two months ago, I haven't heard from them since I left Ireland.

My previous 12 month visa was through SAYIT, the only times I heard from them were to fill out a review online every three months (after every phase on the DS-7002). Myself and my employer had to complete them.

I doubt they check up on your hours or anything, however if there are any legal restraints on how many hours you have to work or something (I don't think there are) or if you take a second job, that would probably go through Social Security. I've never had one of these companies follow up with me to see how I'm getting on.

Hey Lisa,

was just wondering how you managed to get 2 - 12 month visas??
    I thought you could only avail of this once

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Hey Lisa,

was just wondering how you managed to get 2 - 12 month visas??
    I thought you could only avail of this once

Cheers

I have done this also. My first one was granted a month before my official graduation. The second one was therefore within 12 months of my graduation. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You can avail of as many as you like, as long as you are eligible each time. I left my first one a month early, returned home and applied for a second one. I basically overlapped two visas. It's not a guarantee that you'll get one, the day of the embassy interview the person could have easily denied my second visa.

Advertisement