Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking For Professional to clean inside of Mackie Mixing Desk following Lager Spill!

Options
  • 02-01-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Mods: I know this isn't a musican or band wanted ad but i'm hoping a fellow musician may have an answer for me. Feel free to move if considered appropriate.

Someone spilt half a pint of lager over my Mackie 1604 Vlz3 Mixing desk. The desk operated for an hour after but gave some noise so I switched it off. I cleaned off all the surface fluid but some of the knobs, faders and buttons are sticking. I opened up all the screws on the desk but the board inside is fixed to the front metal side with what looks like small allen bolts, which I can't remove.

I have been advised that the lager has likely evaporated and left behind some residue on the the pc board. I have been told that the unit requires a complete clean with an electronics wash. It is possible that there may some corrosion as well. Anyone know of anyone does such a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

If you want to go at this yourself, Maplins would have all the cleaners and solvents needed to clean uo the mess.
    Pay particular attention to the faders as they are open and the fluid would have got in.
    PCB cleaner and contact cleaner are your first point of call, I assume it is not a powered desk if so it may be more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭srvhead

Cheers sundodger, I'll try this if I can get my hands on a small enough allen key.
    Anyone know someone who could clean this professionally for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Your location would help!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Your location would help!
    Judging from this post he seems to be based in or near Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you could make the trip to Cork, AFAIK CP Tronix can do that sort of thing. But if I was you, I'd find out if there's any AV repair centres near you doing TV's/Stereos - it's not a million miles away in terms of electronics inside.

• Advertisement

Spot on Malice, Portlaoise. Paintdoctor, thanks for the suggestion, I will be back to ye guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

Give me a call srvhead. You have the number.

will do keyboardcook

Advertisement