Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Beckham

• 02-01-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

What's the infatuation with signing him in the Jan transfer window?

First Harry and now Alan Pardew...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

Jersey sales plus an ability to bring on youngsters like Andy Carroll? ssuming he'd learn from Beckham. Didn't Real Madrid value his time at the club at around $600m, revenue went up astronomically when he signed, LA Galaxy too, dunno bout AC Milan though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

nah_biy! wrote: »
    Jersey sales plus an ability to bring on youngsters like Andy Carroll? ssuming he'd learn from Beckham. Didn't Real Madrid value his time at the club at around $600m, revenue went up astronomically when he signed, LA Galaxy too, dunno bout AC Milan though.

not been smart but why the hell would anyone put Beckham (watever number) on the back of their jersey when its only a temp 3month loan deal?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

not been smart but why the hell would anyone put Beckham (watever number) on the back of their jersey when its only a temp 3month loan deal?!
    He's still hugely marketable a lot of people would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

MIN2511 wrote: »
    What's the infatuation with signing him in the Jan transfer window?

First Harry and now Alan Pardew...
    Nothing to do with his footballing ability anyway. I never got him TBH. I suppose the sale of spurs ladies shirts will skyrocket if he signs. No way he'll go to newcastle.posh'd wring his neck. And we all know she wears the trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I wouldn't say it would have anything to do with any financial bonus that might come of it, in 3 months I think it might just balance the books.

Lets be honest though, he has done it all, he has a wealth of experience and still has a great deal to offer in that regard. He always had exceptional technical ability, and not many could question his professionalism.

He will offer a good deal on the training ground In my opinion, even if he doesn't have much left to offer on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I can see why spurs would want him, could bring a little experience and a cool head to the squad, his work ethic and enthusiasm would also help the team!

Jersey sales would probably increase too - I did buy a Milan jersey with beckham on it (/runs away and hides)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As said: shirt sales.

Also always a decent professional who will give his all, despite the posing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

He's still hugely marketable a lot of people would

beckham is about as useful as david ginola nowadays...

what he would contribute apart from a few crosses is useless.

but fair play to him for keeping going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

stovelid wrote: »
    As said: shirt sales.

Also always a decent professional who will give his all, despite the posing.

That and tv rights sales in Asia, where he is still very popular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

It would be interesting to see which club he goes to...

As a United fan, i hope he comes back home... But then again, we don't need him... Would be a big deal if he does :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was hoping he'd sign for LFC :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Because they don't own his contract - its a strange MLS and his people setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

thought he wouldnt play with any other PL side outta respect for man yoo?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

mike65 wrote: »

He does fit the all the requirements,

Young,
    Talented,
    Good resale,

oh wait... :pac:

BERBA wrote: »
    The reason he gets linked with us is because his Grandad was a huge spurs fan and because he was our youth eons ago so the press keep bringing up that link and I'm sure if Harry spoke to him he'd bring that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BERBA wrote: »

Guessing he was talking about the big 4 and City ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't stand Beckham. He scored from the halfway line, scored against Greece and the rest is average.

The bloke is a joke of a footballer. Fantastic PR sh!t going on, he's employed the right people for what he wants to achieve. But if you prefer World Soccer over Heat, i just don't get the phenomenon.

Wow, he can put in a decent cross. :rolleyes:

Ryan Giggs. Paul Scholes. For me, they are proper footballing legends. Beckham's tongue is full of **** and the Devil has an IOU on his soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

monkey9 wrote: »
    I can't stand Beckham. He scored from the halfway line, scored against Greece and the rest is average.

The bloke is a joke of a footballer. Fantastic PR sh!t going on, he's employed the right people for what he wants to achieve. But if you prefer World Soccer over Heat, i just don't get the phenomenon.

Ryan Giggs. Paul Scholes. For me, they are proper footballing legends. Beckham's tongue is full of **** and the Devil has an IOU on his soul.

That's funny, I can remember him swinging in the final corner in 1999 champions league final, playing a big part in Utd's dominance in the late 1990's/early 2000's and coming back from the dead with Real Madrid and driving them towards the league title in the 06/07 season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

monkey9 wrote: »

1240266540309.jpg

• Advertisement

Guessing he was talking about the big 4 and City ;)

you reckon big 4 not top 4 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The truth about Beckham is somewhere between the hype and the reality.

He was never the best player in the world but he was pretty damn good. Being a eminently gifted long passer, crosser, dead-ball taker and hard worker is nothing to sneer at. He earned his place on the teams he played for, despite the fact he sold shirts.

He always a good professional as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

mike65 wrote: »

Even if he did, you could be guaranteed the club would fcuk up the merchandising etc

Tottenham Hotspur traditionally thrive in years ending in a 1, and after such a promising 2010, their supporters are already anticipating a sustained assault on the Premier League title, not to mention the Champions League and FA Cup.
    So it may seem strange that Harry Redknapp, their manager, is hoping to land a player during the transfer window who could sign only on a three-month loan and will be several thousand miles away when the trophies are lifted.
    But even 12 weeks of David Beckham, Redknapp believes, would be worth it. "How could you lose, for three months?" he said. "He knows how to play, he knows how to win football matches, keep the ball in the right areas when you're under pressure. I think he could give us an awful lot."
    An awful lot of shirt sales? Not so, Redknapp insists. "It's not like when I was at Bournemouth and we took George Best. We're not trying to fill the stadium, are we? You can't get a seat here anyway. I just genuinely feel he could come here and do a good job for us.
    "When you're looking to hit Crouchy, if you're looking for someone to drop a ball on his head from set plays, free-kicks, corners, there's no one better in the world. David had no pace when he was 17, 18, so he hasn't lost that. He's still got his brain, that fantastic ability to put the ball where he wants to put it."
    Beckham has said in the past he would not want to play for a Premier League club other than Manchester United, but, according to Redknapp, it was the former England captain who first enquired about the possibility of a spell at White Hart Lane. And not through one of his "people" or an agent, but via a source much closer to home. "He spoke to my son, to Jamie, about it and that's how it all came about," Redknapp said. "Jamie rang me, said he'd spoken to David Beckham and would we be interested? He just said, 'I'd like to come back and play and I'd fancy playing for Tottenham, because I like the way they play.'
    "I said yes, I would be interested. I can't help but admire a boy who wants to come here and play football when he could be sat in the sun for three months in Los Angeles. I don't know whether it'll happen, whether they will let him move. It's probably 50-50, but David's dead keen."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jamie-rang-ndash-he-asked-if-we-wanted-beckham-2174692.html

Iirc Madrid sold 1 million Beckham shirts within 6 months of him signing and had recouped fully the transfer fee paid to united.

Galaxy sold 1/4 million shirts in the first few days alone.

No idea about his time at Milan but I'm sure he made Milan money.

I'm not sure he's not up to top flight football anymore but he might make whatever club he goes to a few quid with a few half decent performances thrown in for good measure.

Come to think of it, he could probably do a better job on the right wing for Liverpool than the current players that occupy that position :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

poor man's marc albrighton tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

IMO he would vastly improve any team in the EPL including the top 4.....and Chelsea!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Wouldn't be useful to any decent EPL team IMO, is no longer a good soccer player in the slightest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He was a massive bonus to Milan both times he came to us.
    C.A. said he was one of the most professional people he had ever worked with, the doctors and trainers at Milan Lab that he was one of the most physically fit people they had ever tested and could easily play until he was 40 at a high level (these are the same people who kept Maldini, Cafu, Costacurta etc playing until their late 30's/early 40's!).

He'd be a massive boost and a great example to the kids at the club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The man's a class act.

However, I think he'd have a bit more class than to join a club such as Newcastle who seem to be making headlines for the wrong reasons almost all of the time.

I hope he comes back to the Premier League for a while because he's still an excellent player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Because they don't own his contract - its a strange MLS and his people setup

Galaxy do have the final say over whether he can go on loan or not. MLS do have a different system to europe regarding player contracts, but Galaxy own his ass :)
    stovelid wrote: »
    The truth about Beckham is somewhere between the hype and the reality.

He was never the best player in the world but he was pretty damn good. Being a eminently gifted long passer, crosser, dead-ball taker and hard worker is nothing to sneer at. He earned his place on the teams he played for, despite the fact he sold shirts.

He always a good professional as well.

This is very true

And sadly, he is no longer any use on the pitch in my opinion, besides dead balls, which he could probably still be good at at the age of 65

He would be great for younger players (British especially) who look up to him and could learn from him in terms of keeping cool heads and how to look after themselves

kryogen wrote: »
    Galaxy do have the final say over whether he can go on loan or not. MLS do have a different system to europe regarding player contracts, but Galaxy own his ass :)

This is very true

And sadly, he is no longer any use on the pitch in my opinion, besides dead balls, which he could probably still be good at at the age of 65

He would be great for younger players (British especially) who look up to him and could learn from him in terms of keeping cool heads and how to look after themselves
    He'd help with getting decisions from the ref as well I think he can still be useful especially coming on at the end of games and holding onto the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think he would be a decent signing for most premiership clubs, including utd.

Id take him at utd just to get some decent free kicks and corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Dont think he would be a good signing for united, the circus would have a negative effect imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You know what? I was opposed when I first heard it but I'm pretty ok with Beckham coming to Spurs. We have Lennon coming back into form and I doubt he'd usurp him but otherwise there's Bentley... And I think Harry would prefer Niko or even Bale there than Bentley. If anything Bentley could learn from a player that plays a similar game (if he isn't offloaded anyway). I think some of the Beckham hatred in this country is ridiculous, he's always been a model pro. For 3 months it's not going to bankrupt us either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Model pro, great leader, inspirational figure even. I don't know if he is still good enough for the Premier League but the guy wants to play and he brings with him a huge following.

He is a huge signing even for a short amount of time. He just brings so much exposure with him.

I cannot for the life of me see one bad thing that could come out of taking him on loan for 3 months.

Actually maybe Aaron Lennon might get a few tips on how to cross a ball. He is still brutal at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He'd be a decent option who would provide much needed top level experience to the squad, something that Spurs don't currently have. He knows how to win, and still is a pretty decent footballer, with his set piece delivery alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

He'd kick a few balls at Caroll's head anyway.I'd say he'd have a better chance starting for Utd or Chelsea than Spurs right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Even if he did, you could be guaranteed the club would fcuk up the merchandising etc

Stupid move by Spurs if he does sign. They are going alright as it is, have momentum and a fantastic squad as it is.

Beckham is at least 6 years past his sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

I have great respect for Beckham as a footballer. Good honest professional, I know he craved the celebrity lifestyle but you wouldn't catch him drinking and falling out of clubs. I know he had his affair allegations.

However he's a good model pro for youngsters to train with and be used to set a good example of a pro.

Also in terms of Newcastle and Spurs, he can still whip a good ball in for each teams respective big men! Would love it if my team, Fulham, got him on loan! Not happening though I would think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I'll be wary of the circus he'll draw... But sure it'll sell jerseys...

He'll only be available for a 2month loan... Is he worth the hassle?

I have great respect for Beckham as a footballer. Good honest professional, I know he craved the celebrity lifestyle but you wouldn't catch him drinking and falling out of clubs. I know he had his affair allegations.

However he's a good model pro for youngsters to train with and be used to set a good example of a pro.

Also in terms of Newcastle and Spurs, he can still whip a good ball in for each teams respective big men! Would love it if my team, Fulham, got him on loan! Not happening though I would think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

conor678 wrote: »

conor678 wrote: »

Thanks for telling us all that twice.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

The man is a living monument to mediocrity. Never mentioned as one of the top footballers of his generation (by proper football people) yet has somehow become an icon. Madness. Hopefully ends up at Spurs.

sorry my bad! Haven't had my morning coffee yet! Apologies

Mister men wrote: »
    The man is a living monument to mediocrity. Never mentioned as one of the top footballers of his generation (by proper football people) yet has somehow become an icon. Madness. Hopefully ends up at Spurs.

he wouldnt get in our side , he might get in yere side though:p

Tottenham Hotspur traditionally thrive in years ending in a 1, and after such a promising 2010, their supporters are already anticipating a sustained assault on the Premier League title, not to mention the Champions League and FA Cup.
    So it may seem strange that Harry Redknapp, their manager, is hoping to land a player during the transfer window who could sign only on a three-month loan and will be several thousand miles away when the trophies are lifted.
    But even 12 weeks of David Beckham, Redknapp believes, would be worth it. "How could you lose, for three months?" he said. "He knows how to play, he knows how to win football matches, keep the ball in the right areas when you're under pressure. I think he could give us an awful lot."
    An awful lot of shirt sales? Not so, Redknapp insists. "It's not like when I was at Bournemouth and we took George Best. We're not trying to fill the stadium, are we? You can't get a seat here anyway. I just genuinely feel he could come here and do a good job for us.
    "When you're looking to hit Crouchy, if you're looking for someone to drop a ball on his head from set plays, free-kicks, corners, there's no one better in the world. David had no pace when he was 17, 18, so he hasn't lost that. He's still got his brain, that fantastic ability to put the ball where he wants to put it."
    Beckham has said in the past he would not want to play for a Premier League club other than Manchester United, but, according to Redknapp, it was the former England captain who first enquired about the possibility of a spell at White Hart Lane. And not through one of his "people" or an agent, but via a source much closer to home. "He spoke to my son, to Jamie, about it and that's how it all came about," Redknapp said. "Jamie rang me, said he'd spoken to David Beckham and would we be interested? He just said, 'I'd like to come back and play and I'd fancy playing for Tottenham, because I like the way they play.'
    "I said yes, I would be interested. I can't help but admire a boy who wants to come here and play football when he could be sat in the sun for three months in Los Angeles. I don't know whether it'll happen, whether they will let him move. It's probably 50-50, but David's dead keen."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jamie-rang-ndash-he-asked-if-we-wanted-beckham-2174692.html

I honestly can't read that without putting on an 'Arry voice in my head.

edited to add: Just checked up. "thrive in years ending in a 1" - ended 12th in 01 and 10th in 91 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've never understood the hoopla surrending Beckham. He was a good player but not as good a player as his reputation makes him out to be.

Its always seems more like clubs have wanted to sign him more for the amount of merchandise etc that will be sold rather than his talents as a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Mister men wrote: »

You could say the same about Cantona or Fowler. Ability isn't the only factor in becoming an icon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Mediocre? That's rubbish, he has played for three of the biggest clubs in the world, won an array of trophies, has 115 international caps for his country and despite his high media profile has never let it impact on his performance on the pitch.

Granted he isn't the most naturally gifted footballer ever but he is a wonderful example of what can be achieved with a little bit of talent and a lot of hard work. His crossing, long range passing and free kick taking have always been amongst the best in the world and it's through extreme dedication that he perfected these abilities. At his best he would have slotted seamlessly into any team in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement